Why Do Thais Have A Mob Mentality?

freeurmind2

As for eating meat, you need to look at that a little closer. The ones debating whether you can eat meat are the new wave of Buddhists. The Buddha was pretty clear about eating meat and harming living creatures.

I disagree. You might wish to review http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dharmadata/fdd21.htm

You are entitled to your view and to live by it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and from what i've seen very very few farang in Thailand come even close to the upper "average" in a western country. It's really the dregs.

You're a brave guy! I tend to agree. The first time I went to Soi Suan Phlu to get my initial visa extension I looked around at the other farang and thought, "I don't want anyone to see me with these people."

I always thought it was plain cowardice that leads local men to only fight when they have overwhelming numbers.

I have experinced being massively outnumbered - my advice is if you are forced in to this situation by their actions stay hyper alert and do not get submissive. They tend not to lash out as they are very scared. The old rule of knock out the leader first holds true.

Also keep up the cardio & run!

I always thought it was plain cowardice that leads local men to only fight when they have overwhelming numbers.

Thai fighting doctrine is like U.S. military doctrine..you only engage when you have overwhelming firepower and support which will ensure a swift and complete victory.

To be honest they view fighting in different terms. People in western countries scrap over anything and then shake hands afterwards. When Thais really fight it's literally life and death a lot of times with pure malice involved. This is why "face" is maintained.

I do believe you're correct on many points although, in my understandings, in Buddha's teachings, there was no good or bad, right or wrong. A 'conscience' man (or woman) would not eat animals.

His teachings, as well as those of other Enlightened Beings did not include or preach 'sin' as there was no sin.....something fabricated by the priests, rabbis and religious leaders. ....Higher conscience/awareness was the core (and apple) of their teachings....as I understand.

There is sin in Buddhism that roughly translates out how to how much you disrupt the natural order of things. Murder, stealing, etc.. is all disruptive and considered bad karma. The difference is Buddhism places more responsibility on a person's actions on their own spiritual development. In Christianity there's this belief in a magical sky wizard who will throw you into a pit of fire if you misbehave. In this sense Buddhism is a much more mature religion that requires self discipline which is why there are very few true adherents.

You are right, "in Buddhism there is sin" but if you can see that all the "ism's" of the world have fabricated their own "sins" to best suit the religion they're supporting. There was no Buddhism when Buddha was alive nor was there Christianity when Christ was alive and so on and so on....and as a small note: All religions are immature.

note to Mods: (not Mobs) you can move all that's related to Buddha & Buddhism to the appropriate catagory although many a religious MOB throughout time.....

Edited by Tomissan

Has any of you experienced Harlem or East LA or Englewood to name a few? How about Kingston, Jamaica? or may be South Africa?

Oh, well, the ordinary dwellers in those places will make the Thai "mobsters" look like the Sunday school 5 year olds.

Edited by cyberia

Back to mob mentality; Fist a short story, Wife and her friends went to temple (in friends car). Came back to our house, parked and shut off car for a quick Thai gaggle/talk. After 10 min. attempted to start car but battery would not turn engine to start, ( I am watching and listening from kitchen) They all pile out, 4 in car, and my wife said 'out of gas' Everyone agreed that gasoline would solve the problem, so wife heads out on motorbike to get gas. I go out and key starter and battery low, so I go get truck and jumper to start. While doing this I am told 4 to 5 times need gas, (gauge shows 1/4 tank). After starting car and re-parking truck, wife arrives with gas and puts it in the idling car. Wife is eldest of group, thus kind of the elder sister figure.

The Thai people are exposed to authority figures from a young age and are brainwashed not to question anything that they hear from them. This probably starts with elders, family, monks at local temple visits, morning loud speaker assaults, continues on with magic men and ladies, doctors, temple teachers, school teachers, village headmen, and others considered of a higher standing. Is it any wonder, with today's mass communication network and the number of manipulators/conmen out there, that mob rule can prevail. We see it in limited numbers with the gang bangs so noticeable here, but think of the ego trip for the manipulators with a crowd in the 10,000's.

The similarity between the upbringing of many Thais to the fundamental religions is staggering.1, Believe what you read in the assigned texts,2. have faith that what you are told by authority figures is unquestionably true,3.In case of logical/scientific reasons to raise a question, refer to 1 and 2.

To answer your question, I do not drink or smoke, or take illegal drugs.

Off topic here but when talking about "illegal drugs" best to state the country you are in and what drug you are talking about, as the legality of the particular drug varies quite widely from country to country.

Thai fighting doctrine is like U.S. military doctrine..you only engage when you have overwhelming firepower and support which will ensure a swift and complete victory.

To be honest they view fighting in different terms. People in western countries scrap over anything and then shake hands afterwards. When Thais really fight it's literally life and death a lot of times with pure malice involved. This is why "face" is maintained.

The real cowards are those who use 'cheats' in computer and video games. Oh how I despite those types.

:)

Heng mate there was no bloody way I was going to finish " GTA San Andreas " in this lifetime without them! I never could finish that side mission with the RC planes dropping bombs on escaping cars anyhow. dam_n you RockStar games. dam_n you! :)

I realised I needed some assistance when I was at my sister in laws husband's funeral kneeling on the floor in front of the chanting monks thinking " Now if I shoot the guy on the right as i enter the police station and then..."

Even though it's 'off topic', the British did bomb Bangkok. In the past, I have read a great piece about this on the internet but I forget where. The below link is all I can find;

http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/museu...nonthaburi.html

I do not believe that this has much to do with the perceived Thai 'mob' mentality.

My point earlier was that the British bombed a Thailand that was occupied by the Japanese. The British were not doing it to kick the Thai's butts.

WRONG!!

oh yes did- sorry , but the brits did it as punishment AFTER the Japanese had surrendered and then subjected Thailand to many other forms of punishment

they still are in indirect ways

and they can order the Thai military, along with the yanks what to do and when-in certain circumstances

that takes a lot of power

oh, and do you know how badly the Thai's fared against that recent stupid clash, trashed......i was told some things that would make you laugh

and how about the boarder war and the "taking of phucket".The defining of thai boarders-mmm, something smells of butt kicking

"No Mr King, you claim this is yours, well, we are bigger than you and will level you and we will have this,no more tributes, we own burma and malaya, sorry" to me, thats a huge butt kick- and also has caused a much trouble in the south today

a not so nice legacy left by the brits.

The brits, who were not all bad, looked down upon everyone in this region

Is that not Butt kicking? how the letter sent to the king- basicly, stop asking for the sultans tribute, you will get nothing and may loose your country- he was wise- he did not argue it

All this may be crap, but if you look, and speak too impartial people and wonder why so many books have been banned you have to ask yourself....

Sorry that this is difficult to prove, people do not like knowing something

ask any brit diplomat- you may get a " i do not know" " or we do not like to talk about it"

I think i am going off topic.

What's funny is the butt kicking you see tourists giving the immigration police every 90 days. I drove by the other day and I think they had the auslanders doing a bunnyhop conga line around the place.

:)

I do believe you're correct on many points although, in my understandings, in Buddha's teachings, there was no good or bad, right or wrong. A 'conscience' man (or woman) would not eat animals.

His teachings, as well as those of other Enlightened Beings did not include or preach 'sin' as there was no sin.....something fabricated by the priests, rabbis and religious leaders. ....Higher conscience/awareness was the core (and apple) of their teachings....as I understand.

There is sin in Buddhism that roughly translates out how to how much you disrupt the natural order of things. Murder, stealing, etc.. is all disruptive and considered bad karma. The difference is Buddhism places more responsibility on a person's actions on their own spiritual development. In Christianity there's this belief in a magical sky wizard who will throw you into a pit of fire if you misbehave. In this sense Buddhism is a much more mature religion that requires self discipline which is why there are very few true adherents.

You are right, "in Buddhism there is sin" but if you can see that all the "ism's" of the world have fabricated their own "sins" to best suit the religion they're supporting. There was no Buddhism when Buddha was alive nor was there Christianity when Christ was alive and so on and so on....and as a small note: All religions are immature.

note to Mods: (not Mobs) you can move all that's related to Buddha & Buddhism to the appropriate catagory although many a religious MOB throughout time.....

all religions are simply the way to control the masses- they alow the ruling elite to rule, and to control the masses, the masses buy this because it appeals to their ego

I find it completely amazing that anyone can believe in such stuff.

The same psychology applys to falling in love- we do not fall in love with that person, but rather our own ego's projected upon that person.In other words- we are loving ourselves.

Religion is similar-its self worship, mind control and the one of the main reason why we have not progressed much

The Thai people are exposed to authority figures from a young age and are brainwashed not to question anything that they hear from them.

How is being taught respect for elders and authority figures brainwashing? And how does it result in so-called "mob mentality?" Sorry but I don't follow the way you've drifted.

Even though it's 'off topic', the British did bomb Bangkok. In the past, I have read a great piece about this on the internet but I forget where. The below link is all I can find;

http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/museu...nonthaburi.html

I do not believe that this has much to do with the perceived Thai 'mob' mentality.

it is not- i just had to educate someone who chooses not to know history to illustrate who really is in power- i have not read the link, but the brits did so with full american support- and they objected to targeting one certain place which is obvious, but i will not mention

can you also send any link of the letter sent to the Thai King by the British warning them to behave or loose his country- its all in the achieves ( i asked one British diplomat and he said it was something best forgotten)

or a list of all the banned books-

or how the one certain institution requested protection from the west-

i am showing the reasons why "mob" mentality , a country dictated to, mind controlled, not much to be proud off (unless one considers the obvious), bad education

see my point

i know it sounds awful- but understanding this is the way to progress-truth is that way

put aside ones ego

understanding where one really is, and why

Are you aware of how much US and UK debt SE Asian countries like Thailand and China own ? China could wipe out every pension fund in the UK over night if it wanted to. They could also send interest rates in the US to the moon if they wanted to. Times have changed, the west has no money.

The Thai people are exposed to authority figures from a young age and are brainwashed not to question anything that they hear from them.

How is being taught respect for elders and authority figures brainwashing? And how does it result in so-called "mob mentality?" Sorry but I don't follow the way you've drifted.

Your question leaves me confused as I did not equate respect to brainwashing. The 'mob' is normally brought together, bombarded with rhetoric, convinced that a designated target is the inherent cause of the problem, and directed toward some action against the target by some authority figure. My point is that the brainwashing has been going on all their lives to some degree or another. All it takes is a someone to direct them toward a target and convince them the target is the cause of the problem. even through in truth they are not related to each other.

When the general population is told and believes that the more costly the funeral and subsequent merit making for the deceased, the better the chances for a happy afterlife, some paint/string placed on a vehicle will protect same and the occupants, a necklace protects you from bullets, etc, etc. Yes I believe this type of upbringing contributes to the ease of which a mob can form and be led on a rampage.

When the general population is told and believes that the more costly the funeral and subsequent merit making for the deceased, the better the chances for a happy afterlife, some paint/string placed on a vehicle will protect same and the occupants, a necklace protects you from bullets, etc, etc. Yes I believe this type of upbringing contributes to the ease of which a mob can form and be led on a rampage.

So practicing of one's faiths and beliefs and performing acts to seek out good karma leads to so-called "mob mentality?" No, I don't get it.

WRONG!!

oh yes did- sorry , but the brits did it as punishment AFTER the Japanese had surrendered and then subjected Thailand to many other forms of punishment

they still are in indirect ways

and they can order the Thai military, along with the yanks what to do and when-in certain circumstances

that takes a lot of power

oh, and do you know how badly the Thai's fared against that recent stupid clash, trashed......i was told some things that would make you laugh

and how about the boarder war and the "taking of phucket".The defining of thai boarders-mmm, something smells of butt kicking

"No Mr King, you claim this is yours, well, we are bigger than you and will level you and we will have this,no more tributes, we own burma and malaya, sorry" to me, thats a huge butt kick- and also has caused a much trouble in the south today

a not so nice legacy left by the brits.

The brits, who were not all bad, looked down upon everyone in this region

Is that not Butt kicking? how the letter sent to the king- basicly, stop asking for the sultans tribute, you will get nothing and may loose your country- he was wise- he did not argue it

All this may be crap, but if you look, and speak too impartial people and wonder why so many books have been banned you have to ask yourself....

Sorry that this is difficult to prove, people do not like knowing something

ask any brit diplomat- you may get a " i do not know" " or we do not like to talk about it"

I think i am going off topic.

The more you ramble, the more I begin to see how you communicate, and for me that is part of the confusion.

I will be happy to concede if the British bombed unoccupied Thailand after the conclusion of WWII. I tried to find some evidence of that on the net, but could not, nor could I in (for example) Wyatt's history of Thailand. Could you provide an internet resource?

The "kicking butt" description is what I didn't understand. I was well aware that the European powers led by Britain were desirous of being far more harsh with Thailand than was America. I guess I don't see that as "kicking butt", but rather as something that happens after a war. War reparations, for example. To me, the war is the "kicking butt" part. The terms of treaties and so forth is more along the lines of justice, although it certainly has a basis in revenge.

Of course, then you immediately ramble and say, "how badly the Thai's fared against that recent stupid clash". The Thais had a recent military clash with Britain? That what we were talking about. Or are you suddenly talking about part of the current unrest? And if so, what has that got to do with what Britain did to Thailand after WWII?

You then seem to be returning to the post-WWII era and the border dispute with Malaya (Malaysia). In my view, that was a legitimate dispute. Having 3 predominantly Muslim provinces in far southern Thailand still brings into question how the border was legitimized. And has been often true, the assigning of borders after "great" wars has often been the source of later misery...and Britain was very talented at creating those ultimate failures.

Of course, right in the middle of discussing the border with Malaysia, you suddenly shift to book banning.

I'm telling you, it's hard to follow your logic.

I also have no idea what you think Britain can currently command America to do.

Bottom line for me -- I guess -- is you defining everything from world war to peace treaties to diplomacy with sword rattling as "butt kicking". It implies that everything between nations is totally win versus totally lose. What a simple world you live in.

all religions are simply the way to control the masses- they alow the ruling elite to rule, and to control the masses, the masses buy this because it appeals to their ego

The same psychology applys to falling in love- we do not fall in love with that person, but rather our own ego's projected upon that person.In other words- we are loving ourselves.

Religion is similar-its self worship, mind control and the one of the main reason why we have not progressed much

Are you saying that the Egyptians created Christianity to control Moses and his folks?

When I decide to go from Methodist, to Catholic, and then Buddhist, I didn't have to check with anyone or get it approved.

What about all the people who don't believe in god or a religion?

Superficial Joe. Really. Very cliched.

Yeah, you have it right and billions of loving couples all over the world have it all wrong. And what does all this have to do with so-called "mob mentality?"

Post 83 Did not read a reference to Christianity, Moses and his folks, except in your question. You are predating Christianity somewhat by aligning it with Moses I believe.

Post 84 If, people would/could read the entire post made by others, instead of pulling a part of it out for ridicule, and this part, out of the context in which it was written, the questions would be self answering.

The opportunity to hear other opinions via TV is considered by some of us as a good read and gives food for thought. Sometimes that food is not pleasing to another individuals palate. This can be noted in a polite way and even supported with real evidence or some give their personal opinion or make a crude attempt at sarcasm for whatever their reason. There are doctors out there who are trained to help those people who have problems participating in a enlightening discussion and/or getting along with others.

So practicing of one's faiths and beliefs and performing acts to seek out good karma leads to so-called "mob mentality?" No, I don't get it.

It works in a subtle way on those practicing one's faith and beliefs and performing acts to seek out good karma. :)

Post 83 Did not read a reference to Christianity, Moses and his folks, except in your question. You are predating Christianity somewhat by aligning it with Moses I believe.

I stand corrected...I was insinuating that Moses and his religion eventually evolved into Christianity. I should referenced Judaism.

Do you agree?

Yeah, you have it right and billions of loving couples all over the world have it all wrong. And what does all this have to do with so-called "mob mentality?"

part of the mob mentality here is due to the blind following of certain things

mobs are unable to think independently- the thai education and the faith they follow supports this

when in fact they are not worshiping anything other than themselves and supporting those to benefit from this- its it mainly their ego

part of the mob mentality here is due to the blind following of certain things

mobs are unable to think independently- the thai education and the faith they follow supports this

when in fact they are not worshiping anything other than themselves and supporting those to benefit from this- its it mainly their ego

Human nature- common to every country.

Are you saying that the Egyptians created Christianity to control Moses and his folks?

When I decide to go from Methodist, to Catholic, and then Buddhist, I didn't have to check with anyone or get it approved.

What about all the people who don't believe in god or a religion?

Superficial Joe. Really. Very cliched.

well , if you are a Buddhist you are no longer religious.. congraulations

and if you beleieve that the world was created in 7 days, that snakes talk, adam and eve, heavan and hel_l...well.....all i can say is they should check their own mental health