Why Do Thais Have A Mob Mentality?

freeurmind2

part of the mob mentality here is due to the blind following of certain things

mobs are unable to think independently- the thai education and the faith they follow supports this

when in fact they are not worshiping anything other than themselves and supporting those to benefit from this- its it mainly their ego

Insulting an entire religion is pretty low.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well , if you are a Buddhist you are no longer religious.. congraulations

and if you beleieve that the world was created in 7 days, that snakes talk, adam and eve, heavan and hel_l...well.....all i can say is they should check their own mental health

Joe, your view of religion is so childish. Very few religious people believe literally the story of the Bible. Growing up in a Christian nation, I knew many Christians including all of my family. None of them believed snakes could talk or that the world was created in 7 literal days.

I know there's a hel_l...when I read your posts I'm in it.

As for the concept of Adam and Eve (in terms of there being a first man and woman), there is some scientific support for that.

By the way, where are the references for the post-WWII bombing of Thailand by GB? I anxious to learn about that.

WRONG!!

oh yes did- sorry , but the brits did it as punishment AFTER the Japanese had surrendered and then subjected Thailand to many other forms of punishment

they still are in indirect ways

and they can order the Thai military, along with the yanks what to do and when-in certain circumstances

that takes a lot of power

oh, and do you know how badly the Thai's fared against that recent stupid clash, trashed......i was told some things that would make you laugh

and how about the boarder war and the "taking of phucket".The defining of thai boarders-mmm, something smells of butt kicking

"No Mr King, you claim this is yours, well, we are bigger than you and will level you and we will have this,no more tributes, we own burma and malaya, sorry" to me, thats a huge butt kick- and also has caused a much trouble in the south today

a not so nice legacy left by the brits.

The brits, who were not all bad, looked down upon everyone in this region

Is that not Butt kicking? how the letter sent to the king- basicly, stop asking for the sultans tribute, you will get nothing and may loose your country- he was wise- he did not argue it

All this may be crap, but if you look, and speak too impartial people and wonder why so many books have been banned you have to ask yourself....

Sorry that this is difficult to prove, people do not like knowing something

ask any brit diplomat- you may get a " i do not know" " or we do not like to talk about it"

I think i am going off topic.

The more you ramble, the more I begin to see how you communicate, and for me that is part of the confusion.

I will be happy to concede if the British bombed unoccupied Thailand after the conclusion of WWII. I tried to find some evidence of that on the net, but could not, nor could I in (for example) Wyatt's history of Thailand. Could you provide an internet resource?

The "kicking butt" description is what I didn't understand. I was well aware that the European powers led by Britain were desirous of being far more harsh with Thailand than was America. I guess I don't see that as "kicking butt", but rather as something that happens after a war. War reparations, for example. To me, the war is the "kicking butt" part. The terms of treaties and so forth is more along the lines of justice, although it certainly has a basis in revenge.

Of course, then you immediately ramble and say, "how badly the Thai's fared against that recent stupid clash". The Thais had a recent military clash with Britain? That what we were talking about. Or are you suddenly talking about part of the current unrest? And if so, what has that got to do with what Britain did to Thailand after WWII?

You then seem to be returning to the post-WWII era and the border dispute with Malaya (Malaysia). In my view, that was a legitimate dispute. Having 3 predominantly Muslim provinces in far southern Thailand still brings into question how the border was legitimized. And has been often true, the assigning of borders after "great" wars has often been the source of later misery...and Britain was very talented at creating those ultimate failures.

Of course, right in the middle of discussing the border with Malaysia, you suddenly shift to book banning.

I'm telling you, it's hard to follow your logic.

I also have no idea what you think Britain can currently command America to do.

Bottom line for me -- I guess -- is you defining everything from world war to peace treaties to diplomacy with sword rattling as "butt kicking". It implies that everything between nations is totally win versus totally lose. What a simple world you live in.

sorry english not my first

buttt kicking was not my choice of word, i was referring to the way the brits took phucket, told the king to behave- and they did, no choice, defined the boarders of thailand

i agree about brits causing misery by defining boarders

book banning= thats why you cannot read any of what i say. Some people do not want people like you to know certain things- like who one person is really descended from,etc, etc

also, i made mistake if i said UK can command USA, its probabaly other way around,i think you misread me, i said" along with the yanks" but they work very closely and basically control the world

the recent clashes;

1- was that stupid temple thing

2- another well kept secret is how a top Thai general decided to take on some neighboring country on the thai boarder and really got his butt kicked-

hope i cleared up a few of my ramblings

well , if you are a Buddhist you are no longer religious.. congraulations

and if you beleieve that the world was created in 7 days, that snakes talk, adam and eve, heavan and hel_l...well.....all i can say is they should check their own mental health

Joe, your view of religion is so childish. Very few religious people believe literally the story of the Bible. Growing up in a Christian nation, I knew many Christians including all of my family. None of them believed snakes could talk or that the world was created in 7 literal days.

I know there's a hel_l...when I read your posts I'm in it.

As for the concept of Adam and Eve (in terms of there being a first man and woman), there is some scientific support for that.

By the way, where are the references for the post-WWII bombing of Thailand by GB? I anxious to learn about that.

me chlidish- so those who beleive all the nonsense are mature!!!

so what did they your parents believe in seeing as were christian?

did they invent a new one?

you cannot be a christian and choose not to believe in some things- yuo either are or you are not, if so, why bother

so, choose not to be and do not read my posts, but you will........free choice, an illusion

and why be rude? Please, lets keep things civil

religion has caused "hel_l" and you choose to be in it

pls search for yourself, or looked for many of those banned books, or ask a brit dipolomat about the brits bombing bkok

thank you

The same psychology applys to falling in love- we do not fall in love with that person, but rather our own ego's projected upon that person.In other words- we are loving ourselves.

Yeah, you have it right and billions of loving couples all over the world have it all wrong. And what does all this have to do with so-called "mob mentality?"

loving couples? read " the psychology of romantic love"

most loving couples are together because they do not want to be alone rather than they choose to be with that person and are used to that person as it best suits their own ego

and, just how many loving couples are there? not many i can.... can you? 50% divorce rate in USA 1/3 in UK

seems to me marriage is a bit of a false institution

a bit like religion

please do not tell me thai ladys love their husbands en masse, sure some do- we all know the true reason behind this sort of love

romance soon die's as we in the west describe it

not for all of course

Even though it's 'off topic', the British did bomb Bangkok. In the past, I have read a great piece about this on the internet but I forget where. The below link is all I can find;

http://www.tour-bangkok-legacies.com/museu...nonthaburi.html

I do not believe that this has much to do with the perceived Thai 'mob' mentality.

it is not- i just had to educate someone who chooses not to know history to illustrate who really is in power- i have not read the link, but the brits did so with full american support- and they objected to targeting one certain place which is obvious, but i will not mention

can you also send any link of the letter sent to the Thai King by the British warning them to behave or loose his country- its all in the achieves ( i asked one British diplomat and he said it was something best forgotten)

or a list of all the banned books-

or how the one certain institution requested protection from the west-

i am showing the reasons why "mob" mentality , a country dictated to, mind controlled, not much to be proud off (unless one considers the obvious), bad education

see my point

i know it sounds awful- but understanding this is the way to progress-truth is that way

put aside ones ego

understanding where one really is, and why

Are you aware of how much US and UK debt SE Asian countries like Thailand and China own ? China could wipe out every pension fund in the UK over night if it wanted to. They could also send interest rates in the US to the moon if they wanted to. Times have changed, the west has no money.

and with the press of one button the USA/UK could wipe out the world- if pushed, they will

please never think that the west will ever allow it to be controlled by the east

buttt kicking was not my choice of word, i was referring to the way the brits took phucket, told the king to behave- and they did, no choice, defined the boarders of thailand

book banning= thats why you cannot read any of what i say. Some people do not want people like you to know certain things- like who one person is really descended from,etc, etc

also, i made mistake if i said UK can command USA, its probabaly other way around,i think you misread me, i said" along with the yanks" but they work very closely and basically control the world

the recent clashes;

2- another well kept secret is how a top Thai general decided to take on some neighboring country on the thai boarder and really got his butt kicked-

Now Joe, all that stuff was kept a total secret from everybody except Joe? Although I know it happens, I have yet to have the Thai internet "police" block anything I've tried to read except once in a whole year. If Bangkok was bombed after the war in the Pacific was over, there must be a reference to it.

That "stupid temple thing"????? You talking about Preah Vihar?

you cannot be a christian and choose not to believe in some things- yuo either are or you are not, if so, why bother

so, choose not to be and do not read my posts, but you will........free choice, an illusion

pls search for yourself, or looked for many of those banned books, or ask a brit dipolomat about the brits bombing bkok

thank you

Joe, it doesn't matter if you think someone's religion is farcical or not. If you had any sense of courtesy you'd let them have their beliefs in peace, unless they're trying to convert you.

Actually, you can be a Christian and not believe in a literal transition of the Bible. It's called freedom of thought.

Okay, so what you're saying is you can't back up the bombing thing? It's just something that just Joe knows?

How about somebody else about the bombing of Bangkok after the war. I'm open minded if there's some info on it. I just can't find it, and I have searched.

the recent clashes;

Now Joe, all that stuff was kept a total secret from everybody except Joe? Although I know it happens, I have yet to have the Thai internet "police" block anything I've tried to read except once in a whole year. If Bangkok was bombed after the war in the Pacific was over, there must be a reference to it.

That "stupid temple thing"????? You talking about Preah Vihar?

no,lots of others know about it- like i said, about the bombings, ask a brit diplomat, although you may get a " i am not aware of it"

there are so many things that are hard to find a reference too unless one really looks, hence so many books banned

and people who look sometimes are given warning to stop

who was the real grandmother or great grandmother of a certain person here?( DNA can prove), who sexy photos are all over the net?, who has HIV?, are there western prisons here?,

why did the plane from north korea land in dong mueng?

sometimes the absence of any reference is very telling, so is the taboo of certain subjects, and most certainly the banning of so many books

thank you

Joe, it doesn't matter if you think someone's religion is farcical or not. If you had any sense of courtesy you'd let them have their beliefs in peace, unless they're trying to convert you.

Actually, you can be a Christian and not believe in a literal transition of the Bible. It's called freedom of thought.

Okay, so what you're saying is you can't back up the bombing thing? It's just something that just Joe knows?

How about somebody else about the bombing of Bangkok after the war. I'm open minded if there's some info on it. I just can't find it, and I have searched.

one man posted on it, ask any diplomat from UK embassy, did you see the link?

one can read all about it one of those many banned books- ask yourself why so many banned books?

i have courtesy, but just cannot help but laugh when i hear the nonsense that comes out from some people's mouths " I have a special relationship with God"

how egotistical, how naive, how truly pathetic- programed robots comes to mind!

Sorry, such nonsense i just cannot bear, like when people make racist statements, or the hang 'em high bunch

iu think i have a duty to wake up these people and challenge them into thinking for themselves, not something which has never been able to show a single one piece of supporting evidence

and thus exercise more control over their lives

heres a fact i love- sick people who go to louds in France asking that so called virgin for help die sooner than those who don't! A bit off topic i suppose

how can a christian have freedom of thought? okay then, I am christian now, I think God sucks, I worship satan and want to bXXX young boys- ahem!

Am i still a christian, you said i can have fee thought, right?

mobs are unable to think independently- the thai education and the faith they follow supports this

when in fact they are not worshiping anything other than themselves and supporting those to benefit from this- its it mainly their ego

Insulting an entire religion is pretty low.

inventing false Gods,re-writing history, false doctrines to control the masses, killing so many under the name of whatever is far lower

no,lots of others know about it- like i said, about the bombings, ask a brit diplomat, although you may get a " i am not aware of it"

there are so many things that are hard to find a reference too unless one really looks, hence so many books banned

who was the real grandmother or great grandmother of a certain person here?( DNA can prove), who sexy photos are all over the net?, who has HIV?, are there western prisons here?,

sometimes the absence of any reference is very telling, so is the taboo of certain subjects, and most certainly the banning of so many books

Any other conspiracy theories you wish to explore?

Many in fact and some have no longer become theory's to me because I,and other's have explored them.

Do you have any I may be able to help you with?

I remember my mother being heavily criticized in the UK because of her involvement in a case of falsely convicted Irish subjects. A father and son who were sentenced to life and treated in the most appalling condition's.

This was made into a film.I think the title was " the name of the father".

She was told to mind her own business and stop believing in conspiracy theory's too. She refused to. Brave people like her sensed something was wrong and kept digging.

Finally justice prevailed.She was also banned from sweden for involvement in the movement against euthanasia for the mentally handicapped. They denied this for many and still practiced it until recently.It was long ago, and I hope it was Sweden , because if not I am sure going to pick up a lot of flack.One of those cold, gray places anyway.

Many , even I, get it wrong sometimes, but also sometimes not.One thing is to keep looking especially when the thing you are looking for seems to be a taboo subject that upsets people.Thats a good sign that one is getting close to the truth.

All of the above are no longer theory's- but i will no doubt be banned if i put up details on some things.

If you had been farang, I'd say that...well, they've probably experienced the ugly America before and are prepared to deal with it again. That I have seen...but the unpleasantness was all on the ugly American's side. As to the auto accident situation, well, as you say, they were drunk.

You were doing OK until you got to this point, are you trying to suggest that it is only Americans that Thai's run into problems with who have some sort of attitude? I've heard far more stories from Thai's, seen far more idiocy from numerous other European expats and tourists then any number of Americans here..

Besides where in the OP does it even say anything about Americans?

The same psychology applys to falling in love- we do not fall in love with that person, but rather our own ego's projected upon that person.In other words- we are loving ourselves.

Yeah, you have it right and billions of loving couples all over the world have it all wrong. And what does all this have to do with so-called "mob mentality?"

So lemme get this straight. You are equating a large group of people gathering to worship at a wat to be the same as a group of thugs ganging up on an innocent bystander. Is that right?

Sorry, I don't classify groups of people in peaceful assembly as being in a mob or participating in mob behaviour. Marriage and worship are two traits of a civil society. Thuggish gang beatings are not. To equate them is ridiculous. And forgive me for saying so, but methinks you are in dire need of a life adjustment.

If you had been farang, I'd say that...well, they've probably experienced the ugly America before and are prepared to deal with it again. That I have seen...but the unpleasantness was all on the ugly American's side. As to the auto accident situation, well, as you say, they were drunk.

You were doing OK until you got to this point, are you trying to suggest that it is only Americans that Thai's run into problems with who have some sort of attitude? I've heard far more stories from Thai's, seen far more idiocy from numerous other European expats and tourists then any number of Americans here..

Besides where in the OP does it even say anything about Americans?

Okay. I guess I was probably just bringing it down to a well known cliche ("the ugly American"), but of course it could have been any ugly acting farang. And I've seen my share.

Many in fact and some have no longer become theory's to me because I,and other's have explored them.

I remember my mother being heavily criticized in the UK because of her involvement in a case of falsely convicted Irish subjects. A father and son who were sentenced to life and treated in the most appalling condition's.

She was told to mind her own business and stop believing in conspiracy theory's too. She refused to. Brave people like her sensed something was wrong and kept digging.

Finally justice prevailed.She was also banned from sweden for involvement in the movement against euthanasia for the mentally handicapped. They denied this for many and still practiced it until recently.It was long ago, and I hope it was Sweden , because if not I am sure going to pick up a lot of flack.One of those cold, gray places anyway.

Many , even I, get it wrong sometimes, but also sometimes not.One thing is to keep looking especially when the thing you are looking for seems to be a taboo subject that upsets people.Thats a good sign that one is getting close to the truth.

All of the above are no longer theory's- but i will no doubt be banned if i put up details on some things.

Joe, you're actually right about something. There are conspiracies out there. But you seem to dwell on government secrets (of which there are many) combined with the it's only special people like me who know these things attitude.

There are some real historical secrets in Thailand. So what? Many are so old that they make no real difference today, other than a curiosity factor. Yes, there are some banned books here and yes there are some banned websites here. But while those items may be banned within the borders of the country, they're still out there and available in the rest of the world.

So lemme get this straight. You are equating a large group of people gathering to worship at a wat to be the same as a group of thugs ganging up on an innocent bystander. Is that right?

Sorry, I don't classify groups of people in peaceful assembly as being in a mob or participating in mob behaviour. Marriage and worship are two traits of a civil society. Thuggish gang beatings are not. To equate them is ridiculous. And forgive me for saying so, but methinks you are in dire need of a life adjustment.

do not worry- i do forgive you,please understand my lack of English skill sometimes

yes, there is some similarity, not so much because people at a wedding are a mob, but because they collectively subscribe to a form of brainwashing

most Mobs will also have attended a wedding, or worship

and is marriage which is obviously such a dire failure a trait of civilized country. 50% of Americans divorce.And lets be honest, so many couple who do stay together do so because they are either being sponsored, like here

or they simply do not wish to be alone

rather like watching a mediocre film instead of nothing.

And worship , is that all good, been to the middle east recently and see what they preach, would you call that a sign of a civil society.

What happens at these peaceful assembly's that you talk of when the head monk, abbot, priest, etc makes, as they so often do, an outragously racist, provotative ,ridiculous statement.

It so often these very people who lead the masses into trouble. Like the mullahs who encourage young boys to blow themselves up.

Not all who gather in "peaceful" assembly hasve any intention of doing anything bad of course, most are just simply satisfying their own ego and choosing to delegate all their own autonomy to the worlds leading hype.Religion. They mean well and are only suffering from that human condition of not wanting to take responsibility over their life's, finding meaning, looking for hope( the vast majority of people lead incredibly dull life's, these are the ones who are most likely to search for " god", meaning etc.

To be honest, if i had to wake up each day, go to work at a certain time,stay in the same job year after year i might look for " god" too.Or get pissed everynight!

Joe, you're actually right about something. There are conspiracies out there. But you seem to dwell on government secrets (of which there are many) combined with the it's only special people like me who know these things attitude.

There are some real historical secrets in Thailand. So what? Many are so old that they make no real difference today, other than a curiosity factor. Yes, there are some banned books here and yes there are some banned websites here. But while those items may be banned within the borders of the country, they're still out there and available in the rest of the world.

yes, i am special, i was considered that way and had to attend a special needs class. Dyslexic, ADS, etc, truth is i was a confused young gay who rejected the BS I was being told mostly at school and what i read. Lucky for me my parents encouraged me to dig deeper.

I am not special in any other sense, anyone can access what I have read. Sometimes its really hard though.Its up to them to choose to believe it. Modestly I do have friends in quite high places , and who do an awful lot of reseach , etc, that's about it really.

yes, there is some similarity, not so much because people at a wedding are a mob, but because they collectively subscribe to a form of brainwashing

and is marriage which is obviously such a dire failure a trait of civilized country. 50% of Americans divorce.And lets be honest, so many couple who do stay together do so because they are either being sponsored, like here

And worship , is that all good, been to the middle east recently and see what they preach, would you call that a sign of a civil society.

What happens at these peaceful assembly's that you talk of when the head monk, abbot, priest, etc makes, as they so often do, an outragously racist, provotative ,ridiculous statement.

Your apparent views of life and the world seem so jaded that I feel pity for you. To believe that middle eastern deviant behaviour is representative of the world's religions and worshippers is pretty warped. To believe that marriage is a failure of civil society is simply wrong, misguided, whatever you want to call it.

It takes conscious effort and a lot of work to focus only on the negative aspects of our little blue ball. Maybe you should find a wife and have some children. Or at least have a conversation with a monk, or shaman or holy man of choice to help you find some peace in your life.

yes, the ugly American theory

could you please expand upon that?

I think I have seen some very attractive Americans. Maybe I was wrong. Why are they ugly? By and large, they do a lot more good in the world than bad, and try much more, than most other places. They do not always get it right, and have, done, like everywhere else, a few big no no's, who does not?, but the world is a safer place because of them, and to lesser degree the brit's.

Your apparent views of life and the world seem so jaded that I feel pity for you. To believe that middle eastern deviant behaviour is representative of the world's religions and worshippers is pretty warped. To believe that marriage is a failure of civil society is simply wrong, misguided, whatever you want to call it.

It takes conscious effort and a lot of work to focus only on the negative aspects of our little blue ball. Maybe you should find a wife and have some children. Or at least have a conversation with a monk, or shaman or holy man of choice to help you find some peace in your life.

thanks for your pity, save it, I am quite happy, and it takes no effort at all, none in fact. I am gay- and besides i do not believe in marriage either, not with its obvious " success rate"

And do you not think there are enough children in the world, been to an orphanage recently? be nice if we could feed and love those before we have any more.

I have great conversations with many shaman( a student of terrence mckenna for example), Father William of the Vatican, Edward Nattrass of the religious society of friends to name but a few

Watched a documentary on Education channel last night, True tv, called "Rampage". It showed mobs/riot around the world over a 10+_ year time span (prison riots to 70,000 civilian mobs). One of the experts in crowd/mob control noted "culture" could be associated to mob mentality/action. What impressed me was the preparedness of the police/military to handle these situations and the various devices utilized. The experts gave some great insight to dealing with mobs and the physiology behind it.

Hope the Thais' watched the program, both sides could learn from it. One, how to handle the situation and the other. what to expect as a consequence to your actions.

I think what amazed and repulsed me the most was that the mask of smiles, friendliness, 'mai bpen rai', and 'jai yen-yen' have suddenly fallen to reveal a repressed, uncontrolled, bully bunch. Both the males and females in that group. I'm not going to pretend it was just that they were all young and inebriated and in a frenzied Songkran mood: they were positively polite, hung back, and calm at first. When they learned we were foreigners, they started shouting until spit flew, possibly cursing, being in our faces, dragging us, pushing us.

That is what I was talking about. "Aha, you not Thai peepon! Your fault, you hit us, you bad driver ." Oh, you should've seen their behavior when the traffic police came along--they were calm again and sent him away!

The better scene was just before the insurance guy arrived, they hung back, slurped noodles at a nearby food stall, lazily smoking their ciggies, then literally JUMPED when the he arrived! All talking fast, screaming even. We couldn't get a word in edgewise, they would not let us speak!

My Thai friends are unable to appreciate our plight. They won't touch the issue.

Possibly all of the above

It doesn't, but as Thais don't practice Buddhism ( when did you last meet a vegetarian Thai? ) any more than followers of other religions practice theirs ( thou shalt not kill etc ) it's irrelevant.

Point taken but vegetarianism was never a focal point of Buddhism, at least not for my Thai Buddhist friends. It seems to me that Thai culture and Buddhism are closely intertwined the same way Islam is for Muslims and Christianity is for their believers. Their, Thai Buddhist, behavior is in jarring contrast to their alleged beliefs.

Why bitch about those stale crosants you where served ? What will it accomplish ? Any time I get treated unfairly I never bitch, I just never go to that place again.

I wish you had quoted the appropriate portion of my original post.

What part of "...in as gentle and respectful a manner as possible..." do you not understand? Please, don't be lazy and read my post first before hitting Reply. Thank you.

"I hope that proves my point. Now on to my question to everyone and their Thai spouses. WHY in the world do Thais gang up on people? Do they feel weak and insecure going it alone? Are they paranoid and see danger where none is imminent? Is it insular thinking? Is it a superiority complex among Thais ["We are better than anyone else"]? A sense of entitlement to treat visitors and expat workers any way they want because this is their country? Is it revenge, then?"

it's none of it but your crooked mind which you think entitles you, based on some incidences you experienced, to issue a generalising but invalid verdict.

p.s. any thread that starts "why... Thais...?" is in my [not so] humble view evidence that the OP is a self-righteous and arrogant clown who is not fit to live as a guest in Thailand :)

Well now, don't be a lazy git, read my entire post and show me your evidence of my "self-righteousness" and "arrogance".

So, because the question was about Thais, and I'll assume you've read several posts in other threads of Thais beating up on foreigners even if they weren't involved in the first place, what is your opinion?

Edited by freeurmind2

The core of mob mentality is the disolution of responsability, thats is the more people that are involved the less responsable you are for your actions. The more people that participate the more socially acceptable your actions are.

Curious. I guess it's the phrasing: how does ganging up on others, especially foreigners, make it a socially acceptable action? I'm thinking of the looting of LA after the Rodney King verdict, or any number of sports events where tensions are high, an "us" versus "them" thinking where there is a level of frustration which, and I'm not excusing the behavior, seems to be acceptable.

But as described in my original post, these people were calm and 'accepting' for lack of a better word when the accident happened. BUT when we started talking to the driver and alleged owner of the pickup, all heck broke loose.

Another thread filled with sweeping generalizations and stereotypes about both Thais and westerners (a generalization in its own right). Not to say that things like this don't happen, at least this is the way they're perceived to happen, but you've observed it, you've vented, and now what? Is it too much for you to tolerate? Will you return to your country of origin? Will you go on a crusade to teach them how to be more like westerners? Just relax, recognize and be prepared for the differences, and deal with it while maintaining your best composure.
Sokal

Why bitch about those stale crosants you where served ? What will it accomplish ? Any time I get treated unfairly I never bitch, I just never go to that place again.

Exactamundo. Since there is very little litigation in Thailand for food poisoning and other situations, the best way to tell if you want to eat at a restaurant is by noting the number of customers inside. If their food, service, etc. are not up to par, Thais usually won't eat there either. No scene. No tip. No return.

See my reply to Sokal.

In my first year here when I had to take daily public transport, tuk-tuk drivers were alternately friendly, kind, and helpful or potentially thuggish in behavior. And I am in Chiang Mai, the supposed kinder, gentler region of Thailand.

I wish I'd had a video cam for every instance of this 'gang' mentality I've seen as it's hard to explain that certain buzz of tension in the air, the in your face shouting, the 'herding' around the target, etc. Seems there is no convincing the few who doubt my claim.

Also for the lazy, here are some cliff notes: I did notice that this "ganging up" does not or rarely happens among the hi-so or better educated citizens. Correlation 'might' explain causality here, or not.