Where To Meet New Friends ?

svenivan

There are a lot of new people starting posting is this forum and the forum has started to get more alive than it been for a long time.

I am interested in meeting new people and I think other might be interested too.

Waiting for the moderators to organize a so called TV-piss-up might take long time.

So here is my suggestion:

Saturday 17th of April, that is tomorrow, there will be the monthly hash.

For these not familiar what a hash is, Hash House Harriers in CR is a social event and it is for singles and for families. It is NOT a sporting or exercise event.

Most of us is just walking a trail that is 6 - 8 km long, normally in a beautiful place not too far from CR city. Some are more adventourous, the FRB or Front Running Bastards. they are in the front and make the walking for the rest of us so more comfortable.

You will get a bottle of water before the run/walk and after there will be cold drinks and some small snacks. If you drink beer you pay 150 baht and others pay 50 baht. Children up to 16 are free.

Some people have so much fun that they go together to a restaurant after and other go home for dinner in front of TV.

If you are interested, here are the directions!

DIRECTIONS TO THE SONGCRAN HASH ON 17TH APRIL START 4-00PM

The trail is about 5.5 to 6 kms and we aim to start at 4 pm.

Go south down the Old Chiang Mai Road , Highway number 1211 until you reach Kilometre Stone 19. The kilo stones on the Old Chiang Mai Road have three numbers on them. KS 19 has the number 19 facing the road. Please bear this in mind.

At this point, slow down. On the left hand side of the road, you will see a new building under construction; after another couple of hundred metres or so, you will then see a rubbish dump on the same side. Continue on for a further hundred metres and then turn right on to a dirt road. There will be a Hash sign positioned here.

Continue down the dirt road for 1.5 kms until you reach a reservoir complete with car park and salak. This is our meeting point for the April Hash. Drivers of saloon cars should take the dirt road at a sensible pace since there are a few ruts along the way.

The more observant might notice that this is the same starting point as the February hash. The trail will cover different ground!!

on on

Oddjob

Everyone is welcome and please be there in time! Being there 15 minutes before will not hurt you!

:D:):D

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of us had a meet up with moderator Mcgriffith not long ago at the Chiang Rai Deli that was very successful, it was on short notice and we never got a general invite out.

The Hash meeting is quite close to me and I had already considered going for a look and taking the dog for a walk.

Unfortunately I have a surprise visitor today who will probably want to see more tourist type attractions tomorrow.

I'm quite acceptable to a casual meeting though, providing, of course, I'm in the country.

A few of us had a meet up with moderator Mcgriffith not long ago at the Chiang Rai Deli that was very successful, it was on short notice and we never got a general invite out.

The Hash meeting is quite close to me and I had already considered going for a look and taking the dog for a walk.

Unfortunately I have a surprise visitor today who will probably want to see more tourist type attractions tomorrow.

I'm quite acceptable to a casual meeting though, providing, of course, I'm in the country.

Its a good Idea Sven. Its only an hour or so Scea so why not bring he/she along. Don't even have to do the walk, just guard the Drinks for us :) . Hopefully more of the 'Usual Suspects' will be there :D

If jubby brings the in-laws, I'll be there, because this, I gotta see.

I don't take the Inlaws anywhere if I can Help it. If you want to see them you'd better be quick because they do have a habit of killings themselves albeit slowly.

I suppose I could; under duress ofcourse ; fondle your balls for a few soconds to give you an insight :)

Edited by jubby

The general timing of the Hash is bad for me, 4pm is a time to be planning dinner and the evening's events at baan sceadugenga.

If these people were serious about exercise they'd get out of bed and have it about 7am. (Followed by a beer and champagne breakfast?) :)

The general timing of the Hash is bad for me, 4pm is a time to be planning dinner and the evening's events at baan sceadugenga.

If these people were serious about exercise they'd get out of bed and have it about 7am. (Followed by a beer and champagne breakfast?) :)

Being serious about excercise is not a requirement for the Chiang Rai hash. I think there moto , something like 'Start Slowly and Taper off' should give you a clue. I like the Idea of a champagne breakfast though, not had one for a decade or so.

If jubby brings the in-laws, I'll be there, because this, I gotta see.

I don't take the Inlaws anywhere if I can Help it. If you want to see them you'd better be quick because they do have a habit of killings themselves albeit slowly.

I suppose I could; under duress ofcourse ; fondle your balls for a few soconds to give you an insight :)

Well now, that is one heck of an offer. And I appreciate your generosity. Only on the CR forum do we go out of way to such a degree just to help a fellow understand something. I'm sure the CM forum folks are wistful.

Fortunately for me, my interest in the whole thing concerning your in-laws is that of an observer. For a guy that is a "true" observer, the rules prohibit participation. The exclusion of participation allows the observer to more freely observe those participants who refer to themselves as "people watchers", which seems to be a little more eventful than watching the people that people watchers are watching. It seems the people watchers often end up being a part of the story instead of the witness to the story. Alas, as I previously said in another post, I'll be the guy off to the side, by himself, unobtrusively taking notice.

I'll be there tomorrow, as will my perfect half. I attended six in a row of those events last year and the wife accompanied me on most of those. Then I became too busy to attend. Now, here I am, at the hottest time of the year, promising my return. I had better start pushing water today.

Looks like the wife may not attend after all. A coordinated visit to an incapacitated friend is going to trump the Hash for her. That doesn't change my plan.

Be nice to see you kandahar.

lets hope this mad heat doesn't put too many off attending.

Looks like the wife may not attend after all. A coordinated visit to an incapacitated friend is going to trump the Hash for her. That doesn't change my plan.

Same here, man. I'm looking forward to meeting you. And others.

If I can handle the heat and I can talk my Thai partner into coming, I will be there. What is a SALAK?

If I can handle the heat and I can talk my Thai partner into coming, I will be there. What is a SALAK?

I think a salak is a kind of pavilion thingy. A few uprights, a roof, open sides and probably containing some picnic tables, benches or something along those lines. If I'm wrong, we'll hear about it shortly.

Concerning the heat, if you choose to just stay back with the snacks and beverages, nobody is going to give you a hard time. Truly, some of those people go just for the socializing and to get out of the house for a bit. So, to limit the heat damage to yourself, just pulling security in the shade at the starting point is acceptable. And, as much as they might not wish for me to disclose this secret, the soda-pop drinkers often out-number the beer drinkers in a BIG way. Whatever it is, it isn't a drunk-fest. As Sven said, it is a family thing as much as anything else.

Edited by kandahar

Like you say quite a family thing really. A couple of months ago we got some Visitors from the Chiang Mai HHH. Actually outnumbered us. Rowdy Lot too. :) Most of us where quite shocked when they brought along a large block of Ice which some of us where expected to sit on. No way where sitting on Ice. I expect if they were to turn up tomorrow with the block of Ice it would be quite welcome :D

To broaden the topic beyond the Hash, how about listing some of the other options. I have heard there is a book club. We receive invitations to art exhibitions but have never been. There is a new expat club that meets on the first Saturday of the month. I have met people at Doi Chang and BigC. Have heard that Sunday Brunch at the Meridian can be nice. If you like football there is always the local team to gather around. Anything I have missed? Surely there is more.

So there we have it folks. something for everyone.

And If your wifes more interesting than the others and speaks perfect central Thai rather than some other dialect or english for that matter she can hang around at the back for a stimulating conversation with the one and only .... VF :)

I'll be somewhere in the middle with the lower classes and other pondlife :D

Sorry folks... Couldn't resist it. :D

Edited by jubby

To broaden the topic beyond the Hash, how about listing some of the other options. I have heard there is a book club. We receive invitations to art exhibitions but have never been. There is a new expat club that meets on the first Saturday of the month. I have met people at Doi Chang and BigC. Have heard that Sunday Brunch at the Meridian can be nice. If you like football there is always the local team to gather around. Anything I have missed? Surely there is more.

I would second the idea of an informal get together in an AC environment. Having a bit of a respiratory problem, in this heat, limits my desire to melt with or without exersize. Would definately be more interesting to my Thai partner as well.

There has to be some places that would be ideal. But I can't think of any right now. I really don't get out and about too much so I'm sure there are lots of places that I am unaware of. Another idea: There are several hotels that allow the public to pay and use the swimming pool and some other facilities. Maybe if a Hash is too hot for some, an afternoon at the pool would fit the bill. That is something that the kids could enjoy as well, if folks have a hard time getting out without taking the kids. (I'm talking about jubby here, of course. Somehow, I just can't picture him having much fun without that bunch.) Surely one of those places has an attached coffee shop and a place to buy "other drinks" for those that wish to have them.

Other ideas include any water-falls in the area that have places to swim or stay cool.

Lots of other options for the thinking/traveling crowd.

And maybe, the Hash group would want to attend as well, in order to meet new friends and recruit new members. In other words, maybe we need to pool our resources. Is it "the more, the merrier" or TV CR forum folks only?

Thoughts? Ideas? Arguments? Outrage? Indignation?

C'mon, let me have it. I can handle it.

Edited by kandahar

So there we have it folks. something for everyone.

And If your wifes more interesting than the others and speaks perfect central Thai rather than some other dialect or english for that matter she can hang around at the back for a stimulating conversation with the one and only .... VF :)

I'll be somewhere in the middle with the lower classes and other pondlife :D

Sorry folks... Couldn't resist it. :D

You know, jubby, you ought to give the guy a break. Personally, I give him a lot of credit. It isn't everyone that has the guts to live near expensive, suicidal chickens. And even when those chickens exit this world on his watch, he doesn't complain. He just starts typing the story and it gets posted here. I tend to see it more as an obituary or memorial than grumbling on his part.

Don't worry about me mate. I have no probs getting out without the Kids. Luckily they like School. I'm probably one of the easiest to accomodate.

Be it Bar, Coffee shop , gogo bar or brunch at the meridian or just about anywhere else. Quite a few flangs go the Rimkok to swim and generally chill out and with Kids this time of year.

I'm not that convinced that we're all really social animals though :) I don't get to town much these days, partly because of the distance, also trying to tighten my belt financially and also because some of the flangs I've been met recently seem to be nice guys and then turn out to be psychopaths :D I suppose I'm getting a little bit selectively reclusive :D

I suppose Ideally Thaivisa could organise one off there famous BBQ's up here. Everyone likes barbeques surely with a vegetarian option.

maybe Limbo or Mac whatsisname could shed some light on why we don't seem to haveybe because theres so few of us or something. Clearly some but not all are involved in some of the other activities mentioned and were free to join in I would think.

You know, jubby, you ought to give the guy a break. Personally, I give him a lot of credit. It isn't everyone that has the guts to live near expensive, suicidal chickens. And even when those chickens exit this world on his watch, he doesn't complain. He just starts typing the story and it gets posted here. I tend to see it more as an obituary or memorial than grumbling on his part.

He's a Snob mate :D . Nothing more , nothing less . I've been called worse and so has he.

And I do enjoy it when he puts his foot or should I say mouth in it. its one of those british things he doesn't understand which makes it even funnier.

And I happen to like the guy so surely its not an Issue. :)

Don't worry about me mate. I have no probs getting out without the Kids. Luckily they like School. I'm probably one of the easiest to accomodate.

Be it Bar, Coffee shop , gogo bar or brunch at the meridian or just about anywhere else. Quite a few flangs go the Rimkok to swim and generally chill out and with Kids this time of year.

I'm not that convinced that we're all really social animals though :) I don't get to town much these days, partly because of the distance, also trying to tighten my belt financially and also because some of the flangs I've been met recently seem to be nice guys and then turn out to be psychopaths :D I suppose I'm getting a little bit selectively reclusive :D

I suppose Ideally Thaivisa could organise one off there famous BBQ's up here. Everyone likes barbeques surely with a vegetarian option.

maybe Limbo or Mac whatsisname could shed some light on why we don't seem to haveybe because theres so few of us or something. Clearly some but not all are involved in some of the other activities mentioned and were free to join in I would think.

I have a feeling you're right: We aren't all that social. If we were, we wouldn't be in CR. I told you already, I'm not social. But I'll get over it for a day. It won't kill me and I've done it before.

I wouldn't count on TV for a BBQ. I think we're pretty short on sponsors here. Money, money, money.

Concerning VF, it isn't an issue. He takes care of himself quite well. Truly, I was just enjoying reminding him of his suicidal chicken adventures.

Looks like I'll be accompanied by one good friend that isn't a part of the forum and has never been to the Hash. Nice fella. His Thai wife will be attending also. My wife may make it yet. She's shuffling schedules right now.

So, here's a challenge. Bring at least one friend. Let's shake up the CR hash this month.

It's only a one time deal and lots of you have been thinking about it for a long time. Do it tomorrow. C'mon folks, spend one day this year with some really good folks out on the trails in the bush.

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

I can explain the Ladyboys VF. Honestly I can. :D ............. :D

No seriously VF , I'm sure no ones really a nemesis , why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online. to speak to anyone in the real world is entirely up t a try.

Seem to be losing words myself. meant to say give it a try. Anyway, Thunder further northeast has taken out some power supply at a freinds.

Its pretty windy here and the thais are burning , all signs of rain. fingers crossed it'll be cooler tommorrow at the Hash.

No seriously VF ... why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online.

Wow, I thought you guys were all supposed to be so thick skinned and into dark humor. Why all this sensitivity when it comes to what I say? :) I don't see that I am the problem here. :D

No seriously VF ... why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online.

Wow, I thought you guys were all supposed to be so thick skinned and into dark humor. Why all this sensitivity when it comes to what I say? :) I don't see that I am the problem here. :D

I'm not sensitive VF. just trying to help but I didn't expect you to see it. No probs. Its all good . Keep on Keeping on.

I'm not sensitive VF. just trying to help but I didn't expect you to see it. No probs. Its all good . Keep on Keeping on.

I understand you are trying to help but I'm already doing my part here and my restraint is exemplary. I just don't agree that the whole problem can be laid at my door.