Smelly Drain

ubonrthai

I recently moved into a place and the shower wouldn't drain fast enough making it almost flood the next room every time I took a shower. I took off the white rubber piece you see in the attached picture which was attached to the underside of the drain top and that seemed to do the trick. However, that must have been keeping the stink out, because now my bathroom smells like sewer. Is there a solution where I can keep the stink out but let the water through better?

post-103222-1271519836_thumb.png

These drain covers are a real cheap way of doing an S bend, there is no easy solution I have found yet apart from changing the whole drain unit to a better one that flows more.

A Hotel I stayed in when I went to Vientiane had a soup bowl in the shower covering the drain you took away when you showered then put back when u finished to stop the smell, I moved to a different hotel the second night.

Thailand is yet to be acquainted with 'S bends'. Until then, bad smells will be part of life, unless...

I used to know the contact details of a guy in BKK who sold 'Actizyme'. Actizyme comes in pellets or liquid & really works very well to stop blockages & nasty smells. It takes about a week or 2 to work but once it starts working, you will no longer have problems.

BTW, I have no monetary association whatsoever with this product. As a former Facilities Manager, I frequently used this product (& other similar products) to prevent drain blockages & bad drain odours.

Those floor drains with the built in trap aren't great but they can work if things are setup right. A big if, I know. Since it drains OK if you take the cap off but not with the cap on it sounds like you may have a vent problem in your gray water system. Does your gray water drain to a seepage/septic tank? Most Thai houses are built without a vent through the roof like we use in the west but hopefully there is some kind of vent. Maybe just a 1/2" pipe running up the side of the house from the drain line. Check to see that's not blocked by trash or insects.

If there's no vent and it just drains out to an open air ditch, maybe on the side of your house or to the street like a lot of houses, maybe the ditch is partially blocked and the drain outlet is under water. If there's not much of a height difference between the floor of your shower and the drain outlet then with the cap on that could slow the drain down a lot. Your sinks, being higher, would probably still work OK with their traps but the shower drain might not.

Thailand is yet to be acquainted with 'S bends'. Until then, bad smells will be part of life, unless...

I used to know the contact details of a guy in BKK who sold 'Actizyme'. Actizyme comes in pellets or liquid & really works very well to stop blockages & nasty smells. It takes about a week or 2 to work but once it starts working, you will no longer have problems.

BTW, I have no monetary association whatsoever with this product. As a former Facilities Manager, I frequently used this product (& other similar products) to prevent drain blockages & bad drain odours.

Your solution may be temporary at best if the drain in connected to the septic tank as many are (mine is), and without a P-trap (S-trap) the septic smell (methane gas) will come back up and quite possibly make some people very sick.

If you have any kind of access outside the house before the pipe hits the tank, you can possibly install a P or S trap creating a barrier so the smell/gas doesn't make it back up through the drain......

My wife buys a product to clean out the drain and which also takes away the smell. It is called soda flake (basically caustic soda flake). It can be quite dangerous and cause burns to the skin so use caution. When our drains are stinky she uses this and it works very well. She says it is available in most Thai hardware stores.

My wife buys a product to clean out the drain and which also takes away the smell. It is called soda flake (basically caustic soda flake). It can be quite dangerous and cause burns to the skin so use caution. When our drains are stinky she uses this and it works very well. She says it is available in most Thai hardware stores.

Caustic Soda, otherwise known as: Sodium Hydroxide will cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring if it contacts unprotected human or animal tissue. It will cause blindness if it contacts with the eye. Protective equipment such as rubber gloves, safety clothing and eye protection should always be used when handling the material or its solutions.

Dissolution of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables.

post-23436-1271724511_thumb.jpg

If you have any kind of access outside the house before the pipe hits the tank, you can possibly install a P or S trap creating a barrier so the smell/gas doesn't make it back up through the drain......

This idea seems to make the most sense. Blocking the air flow = no smell.

Actually I think the white piece in his hand is the plastic cup that is broken from the drain screen/lid and if you enlarge the photo the drain does have the high sides to hold the water as described. These drains are poor but they do work as long as there is water in the drain and the cup is not full of dirt and crud. Better to have a proper drain with a p/s trap and a vented drain line.

One very easy solution to block smells/gas from coming back up Thai drains in my house is a ping-pong ball. The standard size drain pipes in Thailand fit perfectly with them...just remove the grate coverings and place the ball on the hole. When you take a shower, the water build-up will cause the ball to float up and off the drain pipe. When you stop showering, the water drains out of the shower basin and the ball settles back on the hole (or you set it back). Problem solved.

This also works well with other drains around the house :)

One very easy solution to block smells/gas from coming back up Thai drains in my house is a ping-pong ball. The standard size drain pipes in Thailand fit perfectly with them...just remove the grate coverings and place the ball on the hole. When you take a shower, the water build-up will cause the ball to float up and off the drain pipe. When you stop showering, the water drains out of the shower basin and the ball settles back on the hole (or you set it back). Problem solved.

This also works well with other drains around the house :)

What an amazingly simple solution FB what happens though when the gas builds up? Does it explode like you avatar cow :D

This also works well with other drains around the house :D

What an amazingly simple solution FB what happens though when the gas builds up? Does it explode like you avatar cow :D

When you hear the sound of a huge explosion in East Pattaya and see a cow streaking across the sky you'll know the answer :):D The ideal solution is not to take your smokes with you to the "reading room."

But on a more practical level, hopefully, the system will have other vents elsewhere to draw-off any gas accumulation. Also, keeps those pesky roaches from coming up the drain pipes, through the drain cover grate/holes and into the house at nite.

• 4 months later...

Actually the most effective trap for the shower is a U trap which can be purchased at home pro or most mom & pops shops for 190 baht or glue 4 90 degree joints together. It is amazing how many builders up here have no clue that you don't have to smell methane in your bathroom here is a simple install using 4 elbows to make U traps I have installed double U traps to make insure no pongs. Works great. After I got back from a 3 week vacation in the U.S. The changes to the master bath had no U trap installed. I got to rework all the plumbing entombed in concrete. Joy oh Joy.

post-32440-032856000 1284605837_thumb.jp

Actually the most effective trap for the shower is a U trap which can be purchased at home pro or most mom & pops shops for 190 baht or glue 4 90 degree joints together. It is amazing how many builders up here have no clue that you don't have to smell methane in your bathroom here is a simple install using 4 elbows to make U traps I have installed double U traps to make insure no pongs. Works great. After I got back from a 3 week vacation in the U.S. The changes to the master bath had no U trap installed. I got to rework all the plumbing entombed in concrete. Joy oh Joy.

been building hi end cutom homes in the states for 40 years. yes you need the trap but you should not connect it to the main line with a 90 degree T

been building hi end cutom homes in the states for 40 years. yes you need the trap but you should not connect it to the main line with a 90 degree T

This is a septic system & the U-trap is the shower & sink connecting into the 4" main going with a 4" to a 2" drain. Best system for up here. As long as you have a U- trap it will catch the nasties. A double set of U traps insures if the first traps water evaporates their is still water in the second. The sink always has a trap so it won't or shouldn't get any odors from the septic. The low to top end houses have more than not the right system In Bang Sare area( more-so on houses for foreigners.) No one likes to hear you bite on important things like plumbing. I used to work construction trade since 78 in the states but since there are no codes or inspectors to deal with out here. There are better cheaper & more practical ways to do projects & the end result it works every time.

Edited by Beardog

Never even thought of doing like that - in the line to the tank. So, if I have P-traps/U-traps/whatever on the sinks etc. would that still be a good thing to do? Or???

Never even thought of doing like that - in the line to the tank. So, if I have P-traps/U-traps/whatever on the sinks etc. would that still be a good thing to do? Or???

Definitely that along with your vent stacks above the roof you will never have to smell any nasties! In the new house I used my U traps setup ( a 2 bathroom house) the sink with the vent stack (J trap) leads into the 4" pipe then the shower with the U-trap connected to the bottom of the shower drain leading to the 4" pipe with a redundant U-trap 6" apart. Then it connects with the next sink (2nd bathroom) over to the shower U-trapped at the bottom out to the 4" pipe The Master has the double as it is an elevated house & I had to spend 10 days sorting out the 10% of the plumbing I didn't get to do(in the states for 3 weeks.) That way I Even though it is elevated structure it is tight & not fun that's why I did it myself that way I am certain it will be right..If your house is not elevated be sure to put the U-trap outside of where they are going to put the sidewalk area. And another excellent tip that will save a lot of frustration later is to ALWAYS put a 2" pipe into a o4" pipe so you can either break of the old pipe setup & slide the new elbow & pipe to the old pipe & re-glue if something goes awry . Don't ask me about electrical. I suck & use competent sparkies with the western advise I get help with here on TV.

that's exactly what i told Beardog when i saw the picture (a couple of years ago). but then... it seems to work.

Read in Pattaya today, the guy that says how to fix things, and he said put a tennis ball over the hole, it will float slightly and let the water drain, but will seal the hole when no water present. I thought That was a good idea

Okay, I'm missing something. *Where* do you put the tennis/pingpong ball? Do you remove the drain plate and just let the ball sit there on the naked drain pipe in the floor? Doesn't it float around the shower stall?

The ball definitely wouldn't fit under the drain plate, hence I need some guidance. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Your solution may be temporary at best if the drain in connected to the septic tank as many are (mine is), and without a P-trap (S-trap) the septic smell (methane gas) will come back up and quite possibly make some people very sick.

I just noticed this response (bump).

Something like Actizyme is not essentially a temporary solution as it also encourages microbial growth that can eliminate odours. It is especially effective if used in a septic system.

Nothing can eliminate methane gas from sewage. 'Traps' are part of the answer. Biological solutions are by far the best to solve any 'smelly' situation.

I realise that the op may have disappeared by now but my hope is that people do not discount the advantage of biological solutions over unfounded rhetoric. Quite simply, when your S bend or P trap clogs, what do you do? Using harsh chemicals is not the answer. Biological treatment is the answer. It may take a little time but it works & if one is consistent with such treatment, one will unlikely have clogged drains or bad smells ever again.