Worst Case - The Iceland Vulcano

vertigo4u

Just watching BBC and a Report from Iceland about the Vulcano

1 Geologist said, they do not know, when this Epic Happening will stop ....

Lets think about a "worst case" and the spilling continues for a Month or even longer!

What Consequences we and the World will face?

Let me give you just 1 Idea:

All Aircargo to Europe ( Persons, Food, ect.. - not only from Asia .. ) will be suspended!

I am sure, there could be severe Consequences for all of us living here in Asia, dont you think so?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to worried about this, first there isn't much personel airtrafic between europe and Thailand at the moment.

Aircargo not a problem as well, some flowers and curry sausage less for a month no worries.

To the OP, name me 5 products we not going to get in Thailand without aircargo, want have a influence on you daily life here.

You don't need to worried about this, first there isn't much personel airtrafic between europe and Thailand at the moment.

Aircargo not a problem as well, some flowers and curry sausage less for a month no worries.

To the OP, name me 5 products we not going to get in Thailand without aircargo, want have a influence on you daily life here.

No, but exports to Europe are grounded. There are mountains of fruit and veg in markets around the world going rotten because the European market is essentially closed. All you people worry about is whether you can get your Bisto gravy granules or sausages or other of your little western addictions. The world has become very much interlinked and a disaster in one place has knock on effects beyond your local Teso-Lotus.

Yes, there are ships and trains and road transport but unfortunately pineapples don't take kindly to a three week cruise to Europe and neither does a lot of produce that doesn't take to freezing.

Guaranteed there will be Thai exports sat on the ground going nowhere, and thus Thai farmers and/or freight forwarders not getting paid.

I guess this is why business is not a sure thing. Ups and downs. that's commerce baby!

For everyone losing out there will be someone somewhere winning. Its the circle of life.

No, but exports to Europe are grounded. There are mountains of fruit and veg in markets around the world going rotten because the European market is essentially closed. All you people worry about is whether you can get your Bisto gravy granules or sausages or other of your little western addictions. The world has become very much interlinked and a disaster in one place has knock on effects beyond your local Teso-Lotus.

Yes, there are ships and trains and road transport but unfortunately pineapples don't take kindly to a three week cruise to Europe and neither does a lot of produce that doesn't take to freezing.

Guaranteed there will be Thai exports sat on the ground going nowhere, and thus Thai farmers and/or freight forwarders not getting paid.

Agree, most pineapples are transported by boat, covered with a special gas, the ones going by aircargo called fleighpineapples and are about double the price of a regular pineapple.

Problems for retail markets but end consumer just change his menu for a few weeks :)

All your Guys really do not consider, that this spilling could go on for a month or longer?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2...2341405635.html

I wanted to ask you here about a long Term Effect on this - Worst Case Predictions, please !!!

If the spilling does not stopp, not only Europe will be affected - cant you see the World in Dark?

Bad: The World Stock Market will get hit severe, not only the Airlines !

Good: Quality Thai Export Fresh Food should become very cheap soon !

But there must be more to see further.....

All your Guys really do not consider, that this spilling could go on for a month or longer?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2...2341405635.html

I wanted to ask you here about a long Term Effect on this - Worst Case Predictions, please !!!

If the spilling does not stopp, not only Europe will be affected - cant you see the World in Dark?

Bad: The World Stock Market will get hit severe, not only the Airlines !

But there must be more to see further.....

Worst case Predictions, please!!!

We all starving till dead, can't be much worst isn't :)

Now don't get carried away,vertigo........more likely they will adopt the Thai way and DOUBLE the price to make up for the loss! :)

By long-time world standards, this is not a "big deal" volcano. It is the exploding volcanoes that put large volumes of cubic kilometers of debris into the air. See listing at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Explosivity_Index

On that list, you can see that there were four volcanoes with VEI of "5" since 1980 (Mt. St. Helens in 1980 being quite famous in my home country of USA), plus one volcano - Mt. Pinatubo in 1991 in the Philippines - being a VEI "6". Mt. Tambora in Indonesia - back in 1815 - was the last volcano with VEI of "7" - and it did screw the world up a bit (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer).

Mt. Vesuvius that buried Pompei in 79 A.D. was a VEI "5" volcano.

I don't think that this current Icelandic volcano would even show up on the scale - it has not yet been a significantly explosive eruption. But - if this current volcano's "sister" Katla erupts explosively - then you might see some more substantial effects (it scored a VEI of "5" in 1918).

Humans were around - and did quite well - for many years before aviation. It is a luxury, not a necessity.

Edited by Indo-Siam

Well the worst case scenario is that this eruption is just the start of a major event that will render Iceland uninhabitable, or erase it entirely, and cause major disruption not only to flights but, more importantly, agriculture in north eastern Europe.

The knock on effect would then be an increase in world food prices and an increase in shipping company profits (thanks for the info on the gas blanket, I'll google it when I get time) so maybe it's a good time to invest in shipping lines.

The one you need to worry about is under Yellowstone park. Current status highly active. Last time it went, it covered most of N. America in over 6" of ash. The one in Iceland, a mere incovenience.

Expect severe-delays to all mail to/from Europe, lasting for some time after flights resume, which is bad news for sick-buffaloes currently awaiting medicinal-payments to arrive. :)

And aren't there a lot of international-schools, currently closed for Easter-break, about to resume ? So some kids or teachers may be marked 'absent' on Monday-morning ! :D

What is even worse is all those salmon anglers who like to fish in Iceland are going to cancel their trips. Where are they going to go now? :):D

Actually, I DO have a very good Icelandic friend who is a salmon guide in the summer and lives in Udon Thani with his Thai wife in the winter. I'll have to e-mail him and ask if he has heard anything about the locals there. Most of his family is in Iceland.

news report I heard said last time the same volcano erupted it went on for 18 months.

There is a bigger volcano close by, which historically has been jump started into erupting by the volcano erupting now.

Boy, things are really getting messed up. Eartquakes (It seems like one a week), volcanic eruptions, riots in cities all over the world, that big securities firm in NY admitting fraud, Tiger not winning the Masters, etc. What's next? An astroid strike? This eruption seems to be affecting many commercial things. Terrorists?

Edit: Worst case? I'll get back to you on that.

Edited by Shotime

Boy, things are really getting messed up. Eartquakes (It seems like one a week), volcanic eruptions, riots in cities all over the world, that big securities firm in NY admitting fraud, Tiger not winning the Masters, etc. What's next? An astroid strike? This eruption seems to be affecting many commercial things. Terrorists?

Edit: Worst case? I'll get back to you on that.

Don't worry. Obama can handle everything!

I'm no expert but I believe the problem at the moment is that the ash particles are reaching up into an airstream that blows across Europe.

The eruption may go on for some time but the height of the ash cloud will probably change (so the ash doesn't reach that particular airstream), or the wind direction will change, blowing the ash elsewhere.

I'm no expert but I believe the problem at the moment is that the ash particles are reaching up into an airstream that blows across Europe.

The eruption may go on for some time but the height of the ash cloud will probably change (so the ash doesn't reach that particular airstream), or the wind direction will change, blowing the ash elsewhere.

That may be what a lot of people are wishing.