Worst Case - The Iceland Vulcano

vertigo4u

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record and in the interest of good journalism, that Finnish aircraft was described as a BOEING F-18. Firstly, BOEING doesn't make the F-18 Hornet (McDonnell Douglas does) and the aircraft photographed wasn't an F-18 either - I seriously doubt Finland has any F-18s as they are a naval warplane...

...not that I'm a saddo or anything, but thought the intrepid TV folks should be made aware :-)

MD don't make anything now.. All their assets are now Boeing.

Just for the record and in the interest of good journalism, that Finnish aircraft was described as a BOEING F-18. Firstly, BOEING doesn't make the F-18 Hornet (McDonnell Douglas does) and the aircraft photographed wasn't an F-18 either - I seriously doubt Finland has any F-18s as they are a naval warplane...

...not that I'm a saddo or anything, but thought the intrepid TV folks should be made aware :-)

F 18 only a naval airplane? Seems the Canadian Air Force has a whole bunch of them, Perhaps they rent space on US Aircraft Carriers. :D:)

It will mean that none of us Brits can ever return to the UK, Thailand will have to continue it`s no over stay visa charge policy and we can stay in Thailand forever.

YIPPPPEEEEEE

God bless Iceland and I apologise on behalf of myself and all the Brits for the atrocities we committed against you during the cod wars.

I wonder if I could apply for permanant residence as a volcanic refugee?

Edited by BigWheelMan

It will mean that none of us Brits can ever return to the UK, Thailand will have to continue it`s no over stay visa charge policy and we can stay in Thailand forever.

YIPPPPEEEEEE

I just read an internal security message & it suggested that pommies were going to be shot on site if this dragged out longer than 4 weeks :)

YIPPPPEEEEEE

I just read an internal security message & it suggested that pommies were going to be shot on site if this dragged out longer than 4 weeks :)

That’s OK, neverdie; you’re in my will, anyway.

I’ve left you the wife, kids, relatives and 20 head of buffalo

YIPPPPEEEEEE

I just read an internal security message & it suggested that pommies were going to be shot on site if this dragged out longer than 4 weeks :D

That's OK, neverdie; you're in my will, anyway.

I've left you the wife, kids, relatives and 20 head of buffalo

Let me guess, theres a morgage on the buffalo? :)

This is the first time I've seen a map showing the 'clouds' spread across the Atlantic, it's interesting to see that it's almost touching North America.

post-44895-1271679154_thumb.png

From here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8629127.stm

Once UK airspace is opened up I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 12-24 hour delay before any planes take off from Bangkok heading in that direction just in case the airspace closes again, I think they will wait for it to stabilise before committing to new flights in order to avoid having to turn back or divert half way through the flight. I read somewhere else that something like this happened with an EVA flight on Thursday, it was half way to the EU when it returned to Bangkok.

Edited by ukrules

This is the first time I've seen a map showing the 'clouds' spread across the Atlantic, it's interesting to see that it's almost touching North America.

OH My God, that's all we need, the Americans will be picking on poor old Iceland next, accusing them of having "Weapons Of Mass Disruption".

post-44895-1271679154_thumb.png

From here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8629127.stm

Once UK airspace is opened up I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 12-24 hour delay before any planes take off from Bangkok heading in that direction just in case the airspace closes again, I think they will wait for it to stabilise before committing to new flights in order to avoid having to turn back or divert half way through the flight. I read somewhere else that something like this happened with an EVA flight on Thursday, it was half way to the EU when it returned to Bangkok.

If I was on that flight, I don't think I would have been too unhappy..

I think the UK Government is planing to Fly people Stranded in Asia, to South Spain then over land to France then the British navy will pick them Up and taker them back to England , (that is if they are English)

British...

I think the UK Government is planing to Fly people Stranded in Asia, to South Spain then over land to France then the British navy will pick them Up and taker them back to England , (that is if they are English)

British...

Maybe he got it right the first time :)

Flights will finally start again in the UK on Tuesday after air traffic control company Nats lifted restrictions for Scotland and part of northern England.

After days without any flights above the UK due to volcanic ash, Nats said that Scottish airspace would open at 7am.

Airspace south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool will also be open, with the hope that restrictions over the rest of England and Wales will be lifted later on Tuesday, Nats said.

But current restrictions for the UK would carry on until 7am.

Nats said: "The volcanic eruption has reduced and the volcano is not currently emitting ash to altitudes that will affect the UK. Assuming there are no further significant ash emissions, we are now looking at a continuously improving situation.

"This is a dynamic and changing situation and is therefore difficult to forecast beyond 7am tomorrow.

"However, the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south, with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow.

"It is now for airports and airlines to decide how best to utilise this opportunity. Passengers should contact their airlines to find out how this will affect their travel plans."

The news will come as an enormous relief to cash-strapped airlines and the estimated 150,000 Britons stranded abroad by the flights ban.

Before the Nats announcement, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said that two Royal Navy ships were to be used to help bring Britons home, with a third vessel also possibly being deployed. The go-ahead for flights came as airlines pointed to successful test flights through closed airspace as a reason for lifting restrictions.

I just read on a forum that the second larger volcano in Iceland has started erupting, I'm not sure how true this is but there was a link to a website in a foreign language which does indeed have the word 'Hekla' on it and there is a plume coming from it.

http://www.ruv.is/hekla

Can anyone confirm this, it must have started very recently, I read it on a pilots forum

Edit : Someone has said this is a false alarm but I can't be sure. Something about using the webcam for Hekla on a different volcano. I don't know either way.

Edited by ukrules

I just read on a forum that the second larger volcano in Iceland has started erupting, I'm not sure how true this is but there was a link to a website in a foreign language which does indeed have the word 'Hekla' on it and there is a plume coming from it.

Can anyone confirm this, it must have started very recently, I read it on a pilots forum

Edit : Someone has said this is a false alarm but I can't be sure. Something about using the webcam for Hekla on a different volcano. I don't know either way.

False news. Someone aimed the Hekla webcam on the already erupting volcano, so they thought Hekla was erupting...

No news about it on BBC news 24hrs and have looked on the web for a source but can no find so it looks like a hoax or false alarm at the moment. :)

False news. Someone aimed the Hekla webcam on the already erupting volcano, so they thought Hekla was erupting...

That's quite a mistake for someone to make, especially considering it still had a superimposed title on the video feed clearly saying 'Hekla' !

YIPPPPEEEEEE

I just read an internal security message & it suggested that pommies were going to be shot on site if this dragged out longer than 4 weeks :D

That's OK, neverdie; you're in my will, anyway.

I've left you the wife, kids, relatives and 20 head of buffalo

Let me guess, theres a morgage on the buffalo? :)

Probably all sick with sars, bird and swine flue

There was an important event about 600AD when a volcano erupted it was recorded in China and in the British Isles no trees grew for 10years and there was food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.

Once the wind changes this one in Iceland will go away. Nothing to worry about.

Several years ago a BA airliner en route to Australia flew though a volcanic cloud near Indonesia and all the engines failed, however they were able to restart them at about 4000ft once clear of the cloud.