Worst Case - The Iceland Vulcano

vertigo4u

Several years ago a BA airliner en route to Australia flew though a volcanic cloud near Indonesia and all the engines failed, however they were able to restart them at about 4000ft once clear of the cloud.

That was different though.. They actually flew through the plume of a fresh eruption...

They should let cargo flights to airports outside urban centres go through so they can collect data about how the engines cope.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago a BA airliner en route to Australia flew though a volcanic cloud near Indonesia and all the engines failed, however they were able to restart them at about 4000ft once clear of the cloud.

That was different though.. They actually flew through the plume of a fresh eruption...

They should let cargo flights to airports outside urban centres go through so they can collect data about how the engines cope.

If the engines get damaged because of this they can simply replace them - after all they only cost around 10 million US dollars for each engine on a 777. Apparently airlines can get them as cheap as 2 million though.

Edited by ukrules

How many airports do you know in Western Europe that are outside of urban centers? :)

(Regardless I would agree of course, allow all cargo flights and all regular daytime flights, and flights that pass through Europe during daylight hours)

Stansted and Gatwick are both out in the country.. There's always Manston and a few others plus military airfields in emergency.. That's just in the UK.

And I'm sure they could fly the turbo props from City airport to the nearby continental airports. They fly so low and the air is so clear that I can't see them falling out of the sky between London and Amsterdam.

Good point Ironhut

I am booked on the EVA flight on Thursday evening to BKK and am horrified at the thought of my travel plans being disrupted and my god given right to travel the globe at will being interferred with. I have a contigency plan to borrow a pogostick from my neice and take the overland route as you suggest or i could just go for plan B and wait for a flight to become available again whilst complaining bitterly to one of the thousand of tv reporters that have appeared at every airport.

maybe its true then what they say about 21/12/2011..these so called nuts predicted more and more major quakes.eruptions tsunamis leading up to this date....THE BIG ONE :D

You are a year too early :) End of the world is scheduled for 20.12.2012

False news. Someone aimed the Hekla webcam on the already erupting volcano, so they thought Hekla was erupting...

That's quite a mistake for someone to make, especially considering it still had a superimposed title on the video feed clearly saying 'Hekla' !

I think that Hekla is a different Icelandic volcano. The one that they are worried about is Katla.

DM

False news. Someone aimed the Hekla webcam on the already erupting volcano, so they thought Hekla was erupting...

That's quite a mistake for someone to make, especially considering it still had a superimposed title on the video feed clearly saying 'Hekla' !

I think that Hekla is a different Icelandic volcano. The one that they are worried about is Katla.

DM

That's right next to the one currently causing trouble and apparently always erupts just after... Can see my June trip being disrupted..