Where Have All The People Gone?

whistleblower

I have just been out tonight with some visitors from uk and Russia and we went to silom. First we stopped on Suriwong road for a snack and quick beer, the ladies then went through the Patpong market/Silom road stalls whilst the men (not into shopping) went for a pint in the Duke of Wellington. Although they had the footy on there were only 2 customers in the whole place. After the women had finished their shopping the group decided they wanted to sample the 'patpong experience'. We walked through both parts of Patpong and there was not one bar with more than 3 people in it. The Patpong market was devoid of tourists and the whole place was a ghost town. Is Sukhumvit like this also?

tomorrow they will have the whole grand palace, wat phra kaw and the national museum all to themselves - if they are into such strange "entertainment" at all.

no tourists from europe are coming to thailand for the last few days due to flight ban, and those coming are going south

After songkran the slow season starts. I believe most of the red shirt rallies are over and the ones up country went home. There has been lots of negative press throughout the world about Thailand's recent problems. Then with the Iceland volcano interupting some flights I believe it's a combination of everything to cut down the tourist trade. On top of that I believe the hot weather keeps a few people home.

I've only been to Bangkok once in April/May. Pleasant in the morning too hot by midday and then when the rain arrives in the afternoon flooded out.

Never again thanks. :D

Ahhh c'mon now, consider those flooded roads, veritable ponds of discovery. :)

No offense to the Bangkok residents, but once you have been there a couple days as a tourist, that's it. Better off heading to a beach. I don't know how people manage to work in that city. By the time I get to where I need to go, I'm dripping with sweat. It's slow season now. Combined with the 10 direct flights to the EU cancelled and the many other indirect flights cancelled, no one is coming in and I suspect that the stranded tourists are keeping a close eye on their remaining funds. Toss in the political tensions and I reckon people are staying close to the hotel pools.

Wasabi, perhaps it would be better if they just bulldozed the strip and planted trees. Trees are good. :D

Maybe they have disappeared in light of the impending crackdown by the green/yellow army and/or the impending invasion of Silom Road by the red army.

As of yesterday, drivers of pick-ups are being offered 4,500-6,000 Baht per truckload of red shirted village people from Isaan to go the demonstrations in Bangkok.

Also, many people who can't go are donating money, 500 baht upwards......

This is getting out of hand and escalating into what could be a civil war...I've got red & yellow shirts just in case.

Perhaps the OP was one of the 3 tourists that reportedly got injured by the recent grenades - encouraged no doubt by those reckless Bangkok falangs that live in the area with their - "come on down it's a big party - what are you all wimpy falangs talking about" - attitude.

This is getting out of hand and escalating into what could be a civil war...I've got red & yellow shirts just in case.

in the civil war the best for foreigners is to be half naked, without any shirt - anyway that's what I do, walking in my neighbourhood in the suburban bangkok. They will take you for a holidaymaker soaking the sun, and not a potential political enemy