What's The Internet Service Like In Phuket These Days?

drink75

I don't know about you guys but I find that our Maxnet 3 Meg premier service has become very unreliable for many web sites these past weeks. I have a strong suspicion that many web sites are being monitored (= slow connection) and even blocked due to the problems in Bangkok. Some sites work just fine, but others just won't connect. It's driving me nuts .... :)

Same with 3BB these days........ this sucks.

I am still getting a very slow connection outside Thailand. I just don't have the strength to start yet another round of service calls to these poeple!!

3BB has to be the worst in our experience, They installed it, internet worked for about 4 hours and then they never got it to work again. 10 months later they still send us a new bill every month even though I have phoned them 4-5 times to cancel it and it's never worked.

Our last contact was with them stating that we are not able to cancel the service until we had paid all of the last invoices, despite them acknowledging that the internet never worked at our office.

Stay Away.

3BB has to be the worst in our experience, They installed it, internet worked for about 4 hours and then they never got it to work again. 10 months later they still send us a new bill every month even though I have phoned them 4-5 times to cancel it and it's never worked.

Our last contact was with them stating that we are not able to cancel the service until we had paid all of the last invoices, despite them acknowledging that the internet never worked at our office.

Stay Away.

I think I heard this correctly - In Phuket Town, 3BB had a dispute with Maxnet and are now not allowed to offer their service on Maxnet (TT&T) lines. So they are installing new lines to all premises that want the 3BB service.

Strange I had a line.. On Maxnet.. Switched to being billed by 3bb..

Apart from some issues when the lines went down (mostly island wide, news reported a cable in Surat hit or something) its been pretty bearable.. Some odd ping times, some slower days.. But mostly 2 - 3 Mbit real speeds..

I notice I still have maxnet as my ISP reported on speedtest.net tests tho ??

TOT are rubbish! For the last week or so the service has been fine in the morning but after that....

At least 75% of the time in the afternoon and (some evenings) its not been working. The really annoying thing is that it works intermittently, so one doesn't just give up - one spends an hour or so sending ONE email - pressing 'refresh', 'refresh', 'back' 'back' etc.. (meanwhile copying EVERYTHING).

The week before I had no connection at all - TOT told me (without bothering to come to my house to check) that the problem was in the line to the house for which they were not responsible. The local computer shop guy came to my house and told me it was my modem (supplied by TOT) that had stopped working. He replaced it and lo and behold I had internet again. :)

If TOT had only had enough interest to come to my house and check, they could have told me that a week earlier. Its particularly frustrating as I was going through a time when I really needed to be in touch with the UK.

If anyone can recommend an internet provider that provides a good service we would all love to know!

TOT are rubbish! For the last week or so the service has been fine in the morning but after that....

At least 75% of the time in the afternoon and (some evenings) its not been working. The really annoying thing is that it works intermittently, so one doesn't just give up - one spends an hour or so sending ONE email - pressing 'refresh', 'refresh', 'back' 'back' etc.. (meanwhile copying EVERYTHING).

The week before I had no connection at all - TOT told me (without bothering to come to my house to check) that the problem was in the line to the house for which they were not responsible. The local computer shop guy came to my house and told me it was my modem (supplied by TOT) that had stopped working. He replaced it and lo and behold I had internet again. :)

If TOT had only had enough interest to come to my house and check, they could have told me that a week earlier. Its particularly frustrating as I was going through a time when I really needed to be in touch with the UK.

If anyone can recommend an internet provider that provides a good service we would all love to know!

I believe there have been many problems with the internet in Thailand recently, as well as individual locations having problems, so be careful if you change your provider - you may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

It has just started bucketing down in Phuket, and my connection is still working! When I was with Maxnet, it always dropped. So that is probably a line-specific problem that I don't appear to have any more. I am with ToT now.

If your problem modem was a Billion modem, that explains a lot. Have a look at this thread where Billion is discussed: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/billion-Bran...oT-t362983.html

Do you know what type of modem it was? Can you post the make/model?

And what is the make/model of the new one?

Just upgraded to TOT 8MB today (from TOT 4MB)

Here's my first test to BKK server

832653241.png

Test to SF

832661084.png

Test using the Speakeasy speed test service to SF

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1908 kbps (238.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 638 kbps (79.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Edited by ozymandious

833188728.png

833191149.png

590.00baht maxnet

I would like to know how the local cable company will compare; offering combined cable and 4mb 690.00baht plus 2000deposit for box.

if maxnet keeps dropping off for hours everyday I may findout myself.

Edited by 69690jay

833188728.png

833191149.png

590.00baht maxnet

I would like to know how the local cable company will compare; offering combined cable and 4mb 690.00baht plus 2000deposit for box.

if maxnet keeps dropping off for hours everyday I may findout myself.

I like your numbers but is consistency / reliability a problem?

ask your neighbor - it really depends where you are, in some area's TOT is the best, other places 3BB - many places still don't get 3bb etc.

TOT does have a direct fiber optic line now, but it's very unstable ... in my area ...