What's The Internet Service Like In Phuket These Days?

drink75

Who is everyone recommending for internet in Phuket now.

When I lived there before I had both TTnT Maxnet 4mb which was great and also th 2mb offring from TOT (not so great).

Have things moved on any since I was there?

I need the internet for work and am a heavy user so just wandered what's about now and how much people are paying.

Thanks in advance.

TT&T has been absorbed into 3BB but you still see the TT&T logo on trucks etc. At the moment they are the best on offer on the island; I am waiting to get my instllation which will be a very welcome change from TOT. The 4Mb Indy is about the best deal at 590 baht/month. Not that you will get 4Mb but the monitoring of actual service by members of our computer group show that 3Mb+ seems to be the norm and it is reasonably consistent, at least by local standards.

The fiber 2 U service from TOT is the best on the island if you can afford it, they currently offer up to 30MB up and 30MB download.

How much is it for TOT fiber 30/30 ? and how fast is it in reality?

Do you know if they can deliver to Kamala?

:)

Costs for the TOT fiber 2 U service with 1 fixed IP are:

10/10 : 9400 baht

20/20 : 15,700 baht

30/30 : 22,500 baht

The service is mainly aimed at businesses such as hotels. My experience of the 10 Meg service in ChernTalay has been extremely positive, I currently recieve speeds of around 9 meg. Not sure if it is available in Kamala yet. I'll be in the Cherntalay office soon so will post the speeds if I can of local and international connections.

The service is mainly aimed at businesses such as hotels. My experience of the 10 Meg service in ChernTalay has been extremely positive, I currently recieve speeds of around 9 meg. Not sure if it is available in Kamala yet. I'll be in the Cherntalay office soon so will post the speeds if I can of local and international connections.

Can't hardly wait for the results.

10/10 sounds real good. Soon I will commence business with Europe and will need a fixed IP and speed.

Leu leu :)

The fibre service sound very interesting being that I use a 50mb fibre connection in the UK.

Does anyone know how the connection to servers outside of Thailand (US, UK etc) compares?

Does anyone use www.speedtest.net who could do a quick test on the fibre and also on the 3BB offerings?

The fibre service sound very interesting being that I use a 50mb fibre connection in the UK.

Does anyone know how the connection to servers outside of Thailand (US, UK etc) compares?

Does anyone use www.speedtest.net who could do a quick test on the fibre and also on the 3BB offerings?

Yeah, I'll do it tomorrow, just keep forgetting!

hhm in my humble opinion the internet for webbrowsing gets very slow in the evening everywhere in thailand no matter what connection you buy.

The bottle neck is somewhere else.

TOT 4mb 590THB is quite OK for my work. Its 3mb + (400kb/s downloads with good torrents) so 3,2 MB

I have a ping of 200 ms which is very slow occasionally the service is down in good old thai tradition :) but its not very often!

For whatever reason, my 4Mb service with TOT these last 4 or 5 months have actually been quite good and much more stable then the times before that. It used to go down and crawl to a standstill all the time but lately seems to be much more reliable. Wish I could justify 10k for the 10Mb fiber service but I do just fine with the 4Mb service for under 1k. :)

We have a number of servers, TOT 2 Meg service, TT&T 3 Meg Premier Service, and just recently trying the 4 Meg CAT server offered by our Patong Cable TV provider.

Used to be that TT&T was the faster/best, but in the last month or so that service has gone downhill and seems very slow, whereas TOT 2 Meg is rock steady nowadays. The Patong Cable service is terrific and only costs about 490 baht/month.

Peterocket -

Any chance I can get you to measure your speeds to the US, and post on the Phuket Internet Speed Reporting site, http://www.live-access.com/PhuketInternet.aspx/

We have 12,000 data points, but only a few fiber runs.

PM or email me: woody at khun woody dot com

Thanks!

I had KPP Rawai Cable installed a couple of months ago. It's supposed to be 4 MB down and .5 MB up. It's 500 a month and it's actually CAT. I've done some speed tests and the best i saw was a bit over 3 down and .5 up, but that's to Thaivisa.com server in Bangkok. To Singapore it's maybe 1MB down and .25 up. It depends on the day and time of day it seems for most services. I did software downloads and up dates and they were coming in at a reasonable speed. You can get 10 MB down too, but I would be really pissed to pay that much for iffy service, plus all the power outages that take out the internet around here too. It's been out at least three times today!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys but I find that our Maxnet 3 Meg premier service has become very unreliable for many web sites these past weeks. I have a strong suspicion that many web sites are being monitored (= slow connection) and even blocked due to the problems in Bangkok. Some sites work just fine, but others just won't connect. It's driving me nuts .... :)

I don't know about you guys but I find that our Maxnet 3 Meg premier service has become very unreliable for many web sites these past weeks. I have a strong suspicion that many web sites are being monitored (= slow connection) and even blocked due to the problems in Bangkok. Some sites work just fine, but others just won't connect. It's driving me nuts .... :)

Same with 3BB these days........ this sucks.

OK.. Not really 'reasonable' for 10 MBit but somehow less than I thought I remembered it..

How has your line stability been ?? With fibre I would expect 100% line uptime, but TOT ?? Have they had ANY outages ??

No real outages, just 2 second drops intermitently.

To be honest its more of a corporate product than a residential one but shows that in the not too distant future there will be better quality options for the island.

Well I dont monitor it all the time but it has been stable as far as I can tell for the last month. During the day there can be 2 second drops which is odd but not a major issue.

Cost wise more of a corporate product than a residential one.

Edited by Peterocket

Same with 3BB these days........ this sucks.

Seconded ! My wonderfully jai yen gf now calls 3BB call centre at least once a day to report (and thereby 'doccument') our outages. Today's excuse was that their technicians hadn't been able to access various areas in Bangkok to perform maintenance, but they will come and check my modem sometime tomorrow....

Peterocket -

I would be MOST grateful if you could go to the Speakeasy Speed Test site, http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ , and measure your download speed to San Francisco.

I've been toying with the idea of getting FTTx at my office, but the measured reports I've seen for international download speeds aren't very encouraging. (See http://www.live-access.com/PhuketInternet.aspx/ )

Many, many thanks.

I just love how when TT&T (now 3BB) cuts internet rates, instead of giving me the discount, they increase my speed and charge me the same. <deleted>?

Since TT&T switched to 3BB, (after the 2 weeks of intermittent outages of several hours at a time, and one outage of 4 days, and 5 phone calls to 1530) I have been getting up to 5.02mbps down and .8mbps up to Bkk (IE, the Intranet) on what is supposed to be a 4mb line. Internationally (IE the Internet) my speeds are suffering greatly. I am getting from between .2mbps to 1.5mpbs down and .4mbps upload in the last two days.

TOT looking better everyday.

I just love how when TT&T (now 3BB) cuts internet rates, instead of giving me the discount, they increase my speed and charge me the same. <deleted>?

Since TT&T switched to 3BB, (after the 2 weeks of intermittent outages of several hours at a time, and one outage of 4 days, and 5 phone calls to 1530) I have been getting up to 5.02mbps down and .8mbps up to Bkk (IE, the Intranet) on what is supposed to be a 4mb line. Internationally (IE the Internet) my speeds are suffering greatly. I am getting from between .2mbps to 1.5mpbs down and .4mbps upload in the last two days.

ToT looking better? :)

Actually, some days it's OK for me in Phuket Town, other days it's crap.

After midnight it's pretty good. Today it's been pretty good all day. I have the 8 MB down/1 MB up service. The %age up is usually better than the %age down.

So right now I'm getting 2.2 mbps down, but 0.74 up to San Francisco. However my torrents are doing much better and I'm not so sure that measuring bandwidth to just one server in America tells the whole story.

gallery_35489_957_10319.jpg

At the beginning of the graph it was downloading (blue colour) at about 5.5 mbps, then one of my torrents finished, so it went down to about 3.5 mbps. The vertical bars are 1 minute apart.

Then another torrent finished and it went down to about 1.5 mbps, but all the time it was uploading (green colour) at about .7 mbps.

The bit at the end is when I stopped the torrents to do the speed test.

Of course, on a bad day this happens:

gallery_35489_957_12824.jpg

- you just get it all going and the rubber band snaps.

Used to be quite happy with Tot - but now for me in Chalong the performance is equalled only by the customer service - absolutely rubbish!

Had a about 3 days of 5 hours outages and when it came back, international traffic was impossible, no internet banking, two minutes to load BBC page and 30 mins to sync a 200k of mail.

It then improved from above after two days of it being like that. I logged a ticket after the second days outage. I received no call back after 8 days and then why I called them I was told my ticket number had been closed despite propblem not fixed and no contact from Tot. Now got another ticket open which will probably alos be canned.

So I pay for 8MB but am getting 800K down 400K up (from speedtest) and modem reports downstream of 1024 and up of 512. I've provided the same info over and over ancd it just goes nowhere.

It isn't possible to speak to engineer, the phone number is just an agent who logs calls with engineer. Doesn't inspire much confidence when he says I dont how I can help you, cheers.

If you have an alternative I'd advise against tot.

ToT looking better? :)

Actually, some days it's OK for me in Phuket Town, other days it's crap.

After midnight it's pretty good. Today it's been pretty good all day. I have the 8 MB down/1 MB up service. The %age up is usually better than the %age down.

So right now I'm getting 2.2 mbps down, but 0.74 up to San Francisco. However my torrents are doing much better and I'm not so sure that measuring bandwidth to just one server in America tells the whole story.

gallery_35489_957_10319.jpg

At the beginning of the graph it was downloading (blue colour) at about 5.5 mbps, then one of my torrents finished, so it went down to about 3.5 mbps. The vertical bars are 1 minute apart.

Then another torrent finished and it went down to about 1.5 mbps, but all the time it was uploading (green colour) at about .7 mbps.

The bit at the end is when I stopped the torrents to do the speed test.

Of course, on a bad day this happens:

gallery_35489_957_12824.jpg

- you just get it all going and the rubber band snaps.

Well I haven't got over .5mb down from outside Thailand for over a week, ever since the flurry of outages when they switched over to 3BB.

827780326.png