Retirement Visa

Hi,

I have to renew my retirement visa soon. I ask the official at the Patong office if I need to get another letter this year from the US embassy stating my monthly income and he said no that I only have to do that once. However, as we all know, the info you get can vary from one officer to another. Does anyone know if I need to get this income verification every year or was the officer correct? Also, I cannot find a copy of the letter I gave them last year. Will they have the letter I gave them last year on file or will I be making a trip to the embassy in Bangkok because of my failure to make a copy of the letter?

Thanks,

Miami Bob

Letter should be on file in Bangkok and a copy in local office

If your local officer says you do not need a letter this year I would go by that and be thankful. Believe others have recently been told they now have to provide each year so if you are in the Bangkok area earlier it might be wise to act like a Boy Scout and be prepared.

Likewise, I hope they have one kept for you.... otherwise, ya gotta consider the cost comparisions:

Copy cost: 50 satang

Bangkok excursion cost from Phuket: ???? baht

btw, been there, done that myself (failure to keep a copy of something ending up costing mucho dinero..... :o

Just starting my "Retirement" here in Thailand, and today received the "Income Letter" from the US Embassy... Does Thai Immagration usually accept just the letter, or are they going to want additional info. / paperwork to back up the "Income Letter"???

Thanks in advance,

Pianoman

Just starting my "Retirement" here in Thailand, and today received the "Income Letter" from the US Embassy...  Does Thai Immagration usually accept just the letter, or are they going to want additional info. / paperwork to back up the "Income Letter"???

Thanks in advance,

Pianoman

The income letter is the paperwork AFAIK.

"Income Letter" from the US Embassy...

What exactly does this say? Is it just boilerplate -- or does it say something like, 'Joe Shmoe earns $x in retirement per year.'

Curious, because as Air Force retired, pension amount will only go up every year (until the Iraqi insurgents take over Washington). As such, a clause saying 'this retirement amount is guaranteed for life,' or some such thing, should preclude having to go back every year for a new statement.

What exactly does this say? Is it just boilerplate -- or does it say something like, 'Joe Shmoe earns $x in retirement per year.'

Curious, because as Air Force retired, pension amount will only go up every year

We know that's true in $$$$--just hope it hangs in there in Baht!! :o:D

Curious, because as Air Force retired, pension amount will only go up every year

We know that's true in $$$$--just hope it hangs in there in Baht!! :o:D

Not always true as insurance and other deductions can effect the net pay and that is what should be reported. For US it is just saying you receive so much and having statement notarized for some it requires full paperwork.

Not always true as insurance and other deductions can effect the net pay and that is what should be reported.

I guess if they're looking for 'takehome pay' -- and I was right on the margin -- I would just go online with DFAS and change tax withholding to zero, wait a week 'til the new statement was available online, then print that out for Embassy looksee (and then go back and change withholding to where it was -- or just pay estimated taxes online).

But I guess the question I'm really asking is how closely does the US Embassy/Consulate look at my statement -- and would they add a 'pay never goes down' descriptor to the verification? I think I read here on TV that they just take your word for it -- and don't even look at your pay statement(?).

Oh, do they report amount in baht, using the current exchange rate? If so, would think exchange rate used would need to be shown should you be able to use this verification in future annual extensions.............

Edited by JimGant

Not always true as insurance and other deductions can effect the net pay and that is what should be reported.

I guess if they're looking for 'takehome pay' -- and I was right on the margin -- I would just go online with DFAS and change tax withholding to zero, wait a week 'til the new statement was available online, then print that out for Embassy looksee (and then go back and change withholding to where it was -- or just pay estimated taxes online).

But I guess the question I'm really asking is how closely does the US Embassy/Consulate look at my statement -- and would they add a 'pay never goes down' descriptor to the verification? I think I read here on TV that they just take your word for it -- and don't even look at your pay statement(?).

Oh, do they report amount in baht, using the current exchange rate? If so, would think exchange rate used would need to be shown should you be able to use this verification in future annual extensions.............

Don't use a letter but assume you tell them the amount in USD and they enter it as USD. Immigration will then figure the baht amount (believe they use 38). As this can/should be used in combo with a bank account it should not be much problem to keep it legal if you have anything near the required amount. Just remember to allow for a poor exchange rate when conversion is made.

Don't use a letter but assume you tell them the amount in USD and they enter it as USD. Immigration will then figure the baht amount (believe they use 38). As this can/should be used in combo with a bank account it should not be much problem to keep it legal if you have anything near the required amount. Just remember to allow for a poor exchange rate when conversion is made.

Jim,Ive seen posts here in which they say that Thai Imm.pulls out a calculator and figures the conversion on the spot when presented with the pension letter.

Now that the $ is back over 40 baht would they be using the current rate tho??Who knows...But Lop is correct that us pensioners should also have bank acct. and the combo with bank acct. does make it easier to meet the legal amount.

To Briley:thanx much for your post as I will be extending in CMai eventually myself.

In my opinion you'll need to get another original. You should not give the original to immigration. Just show them the original and give them two copies.

Why would you not give them the orginal? What difference does it make? I get one every year and just give them the orginal.

Was up in Bangkok last weekend and spoke with an American who'd just done his retirement visa extension. He said he has a monthy pension in excess of 100,000 baht but in addition to that Suan Plu wanted to see a letter from his Thai bank with a deposit of not less than 200,000 baht. So, it was off to bank to get the paperwork done. Not the first time this has been reported here.

-redwood

Just starting my "Retirement" here in Thailand, and today received the "Income Letter" from the US Embassy...  Does Thai Immagration usually accept just the letter, or are they going to want additional info. / paperwork to back up the "Income Letter"???

Thanks in advance,

Pianoman

Letter will suffice, but try and keep hold of the original, supplying only copies.

My friend went before me, he was told to keep the original and use it every year.

When I went, he kept the original. When I asked why, he said it didn't say the pension was for every year. I argued that it said the pension was annual, but it fell on deaf ears.

I wrote to the Brit embassy, asking if the letter was a re-usable every year. All Got was a letter telling me I could apply by post for a repeat, if I sent copies of passport, 1500b + 40b postage and they would send me a copy

This I will do, but next year, I will put up a stronger arguement, if my friend still retains his letter.