Printed Tills

MegaMik

Why aren't people concerned about what they pay for and how much.

Does everyone remember exactly the prices and how many drinks they have had?

Every so often when I go out, I feel like I am being overcharged for things I didn't order or was served.

A printed till would take away most of that, wouldn't it?

Nowadays I only go to restaurants and bars where I can get a printed till.

Why isn't that discussed more in TV?

Another thing, a friend of mine is running a bar in Phuket and he's got a computer system set up.

After he got it, he told me his revenues went up about 15-20% and that's without gaining more customers or them drinking more.

Odd, isn't it.

:)

When I go out for a meal, on getting the bill it go's strait to the wife to check 8 out of 10 time's it's wrong. Not alway's to my detriment. But what ever it is I all way's pay for what Ive had. Thai's cant do number's IE 10x 25= 290 TIT.

When I go out for a meal, on getting the bill it go's strait to the wife to check 8 out of 10 time's it's wrong. Not alway's to my detriment. But what ever it is I all way's pay for what Ive had. Thai's cant do number's IE 10x 25= 290 TIT.

Almost everyone I have talked to about this have the same experience so its a wonder why bar/restaurant owners don't get a cash register system.

Who's getting the extra 40 TBH then, it seems not the bar/restaurant owners or is it a strategic system to raise the prices outside the official price list?

At one point I got a bill for 1550 TBH for 5 Singa beers and 1 long drink for my gf.

I don't get drunk easily so I reacted of course but they couldn't show me the summarized tills, it was thrown away they said.

I paid and never returned.

A couple of nasty swearwords crossed my lips when leaving though.

Im not trying to teach you to suck egg's. If in a bar they will give you a bill every time you get a drink, make a positive effort to check the bill every time you get a top up, before paying add up all and try and give the right money pluss tip if you want. in restaurant the bill more than likely be in Thai, give it to the GF to sort out. Tell her she'll get a tip if she find's a mistake. Work's every time.

The OP's query seems unusual. The occasional restaurant and bar will not present you with a bill unless you ask to see it, and some places only have the master one that they don't hand over (but you can look at it). Of course, as to bars, most places will give you the chock with either mulitplying tabs or a tab they add to, but some don't provide them or keep them away from the customer, but you can always ask to see it (they often add the totals, staple the tabs together and write the total on the back of the last one). I've queried them on the odd occasion when there's clearly been an error - which has not always been in favour of the establishment.

As to the B1550 bill for 5 beers and a mixed drink, that does not seem an unusual price for upmarket places or bars at airport hotels - indeed, you could pay more. I'll agree, though, that it's a bit of a shock to the system when you are used to paying between B70 and B90 for a Singha and B120 to B170 for a mixed drink.

E: Clarification

Edited by Ping

The OP's query seems unusual. The occasional restaurant and bar will not present you with a bill unless you ask to see it, and some places only have the master one that they don't hand over (but you can look at it). Of course, as to bars, most places will give you the chock with either mulitplying tabs or a tab they add to, but some don't provide them or keep them away from the customer, but you can always ask to see it (they often add the totals, staple the tabs together and write the total on the back of the last one). I've queried them on the odd occasion when there's clearly been an error - which has not always been in favour of the establishment.

As to the B1550 bill for 5 beers and a mixed drink, that does not seem an unusual price for upmarket places or bars at airport hotels - indeed, you could pay more. I'll agree, though, that it's a bit of a shock to the system when you are used to paying between B70 and B90 for a Singha and B120 to B170 for a mixed drink.

Unusual? First of all, I live in Phuket and only been to bars (restaurants excluded) were you have the till in a bin just in front of you, where do you live?

Normal price for a beer is between 50 TBH to 80.

A drink is between 100-150, of course if I go to Bangla Rd. I have to pay higher prices but nevertheless, lets say a beer 100TBH * 5 and you get 500 + and 200TBH for a drink, do the math, that's 700 TBH.

This was at a regular bar, not an upmarket one.

Their regular price for a Singha is 70 TBH and the drink should have been 120TBH.

Unusual? First of all, I live in Phuket and only been to bars (restaurants excluded) were you have the till in a bin just in front of you, where do you live?

Normal price for a beer is between 50 TBH to 80.

A drink is between 100-150, of course if I go to Bangla Rd. I have to pay higher prices but nevertheless, lets say a beer 100TBH * 5 and you get 500 + and 200TBH for a drink, do the math, that's 700 TBH.

This was at a regular bar, not an upmarket one.

Their regular price for a Singha is 70 TBH and the drink should have been 120TBH.

You didn't say in your prior message that it was just a regular bar where you got the high tab. I was attempting to helpfully suggest the reason as to why it may have been high. Had I have been a mind reader as to where you were drinking, I would have agreed you were overcharged. Where do I live? I live in Australia and Phuket (6 months each) and have for many years. Is there a point you are making - perhaps you are you going to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about?

By the way, B50 for a Singha is not a 'normal' or common price - the most common prices are B70 to B80 with a lesser number B10 either side of that. B120 is a common price for a mixed drink, but then so is anything up to B150 (unless the mixer is Thai spirit). B170 is less common, as is the occasional place selling for B100.

Do try to be a bit more moderate (less caustic) in your responses to people and you will find they will respond accordingly.

You didn't say in your prior message that it was just a regular bar where you got the high tab. I was attempting to helpfully suggest the reason as to why it may have been high. Had I have been a mind reader as to where you were drinking, I would have agreed you were overcharged. Where do I live? I live in Australia and Phuket (6 months each) and have for many years. Is there a point you are making - perhaps you are you going to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about?

By the way, B50 for a Singha is not a 'normal' or common price - the most common prices are B70 to B80 with a lesser number B10 either side of that. B120 is a common price for a mixed drink, but then so is anything up to B150 (unless the mixer is Thai spirit). B170 is less common, as is the occasional place selling for B100.

Do try to be a bit more moderate (less caustic) in your responses to people and you will find they will respond accordingly.

I wrote in small letters and still do so I don't accuse or suggest you of anything.

You wrote "The OP's query seems unusual", I can't be the only one that it happens to, almost everytime when going to bars/restaurants with handwritten tills?

If you read my post and response more closesly, you should have seen I wrote normal price for Singha is 70 and I didn't say lounge bar, airport or club.

I have lived in Phuket off and on for over 3 1/2 years now and still have to count my tills, except when I go to bars with a cash register system (still check on the numberso for drinks and soforth).

The reason why I commented is that I haven't seen anywhere where the till is kept away from me, but then again, I haven't been everywhere.

Unless I pay directly when served of course, like many bars practice in Patong.

Sometimes I just want to have fun and get drunk but if I do in one of the bars that has handwritten tills, I know for sure I will get ripped off.

Unreadable and questionable tills, who do I offend when claiming I can't read them, not only because of poor eyesight.

I'm 49 years of age so my eyesight isn't what it has been but their handwriting is more signs than letters.

When I go out, once a month or so, we go to eat and drink so we tend to stay for hours.

One of the reasons I go out is to have a good time with my friends and GF but on more than one occasion, that has been put down by inaccurate bills.

I'm just tired of this, my question was, aren't everyone else?

No, hardly ever happens to me.

And if a mistake is made, 50-50 in who's favour the mistake was made, I will not let that spoil anything.

Never liked places which keep the bin behind the counter or places that place chits in your cup. For the places that place chits in your cup I try to keep a tally of the total as I do not want any surprises.

I went to a place in Udon Thani, ordered a sangsom coke and the staff member kept the bin behind the counter. Sure enough she wrote down 130 baht. Immediately I queried as this seemed expensive for a beer bar. The staff apologized and said that she forgot the actual price. :)

Gotta stay on your toes when drinking...

One of the reasons I go out is to have a good time with my friends and GF but on more than one occasion, that has been put down by inaccurate bills.

Yes, it happened to me all the time and I hated it. Now, I pay every time I order. The staff don't like it but I don't care really.

I've been overcharged in beer bars with written bills, I have also been overcharged in a bar with a proper till. The only problem it should stop is staff pocketing money. But when you take into account the cost of the till plus the potential of the taxman seeing genuine income, is it in a small business's interest to use one?