Keeping Busy

longstebe

Listening to people winning the lottery and still going to work used to p!ss me off.

People still working in retirement age (by choice) p!ssed me off.

Now I fully understand, I've just spent close to 8 months basically sitting on my arse in LOS.

I've not won the lottery and I'm far from retirement but having something to do is so important.

I'm finally back at work and loving it, using the few brain cells I have left.

It gets me thinking about some of our older friends on here and what they get up too.

Any thoughts?????

yep, i've been here in the los for just over 2 yrs - not by choice btw (waiting for my refugee gf's visa).

i've worked a few jobs whilst living here, and now i've found the best, which is still veeerrrrry crap compared to what i used to do in oz (university research). i ordered a few books from the internet a few weeks ago, and i'm loving them. i can't recall having a decent conversation with any thai (or many farang for that matter) yet, and i really miss the challenge of difficult and highly regarded (and well paid) work.

it's affected me quite a lot - i've been suffering from depression over the past 6 months in particular. some days are much worse than others, but to keep myself on track i just remind myself that i'll be back in the land of the living soon...

to address your point - i think much of my depression is actually caused from not having the mental stimulation i was used to in australia (books, colleagues to talk to, free press and media, general life opportunities and social diversity, wasting money on mickey mouse visas, general cultural/political bs, etc). though there is definitely a time and place for holidays/relaxation, i think from a health perspective keeping occupied with some kind of 'work' is key to keeping a balanced life :)

Although I never suffered with depression, I totally agree with the stimulation thing.

Hobbies are important. You can only kick back so much and relax. Living in the village is nice on the eye

with the land I have but it's not enough.

yep, i've been here in the los for just over 2 yrs - not by choice btw (waiting for my refugee gf's visa).

i've worked a few jobs whilst living here, and now i've found the best, which is still veeerrrrry crap compared to what i used to do in oz (university research). i ordered a few books from the internet a few weeks ago, and i'm loving them. i can't recall having a decent conversation with any thai (or many farang for that matter) yet, and i really miss the challenge of difficult and highly regarded (and well paid) work.

it's affected me quite a lot - i've been suffering from depression over the past 6 months in particular. some days are much worse than others, but to keep myself on track i just remind myself that i'll be back in the land of the living soon...

to address your point - i think much of my depression is actually caused from not having the mental stimulation i was used to in australia (books, colleagues to talk to, free press and media, general life opportunities and social diversity, wasting money on mickey mouse visas, general cultural/political bs, etc). though there is definitely a time and place for holidays/relaxation, i think from a health perspective keeping occupied with some kind of 'work' is key to keeping a balanced life :D

Cue the Thai apologist and "if you dont like it you can leave" crowd

Having been here 9 nearly working, and I am have luckly that I have things which keep the mind occupied (most of the time).

But having taken extended leave on occassion ie a month at a time, can understand where you are coming from, and what you are describing could go along way to explain why a lot of the retiree's here are complete p*ssheads or play that popular Pattaya sport involving balconies... :)

I’ve got to have a reason to get up each day, I also believe in doing something every day I don’t particularly like doing in the form of a chore or give myself a good beasting (excises) without a little rain in your life, you’ll never appreciate the sun. There is also the matter of feeling you have worth, if I do nothing I feel there’s no direction in my life. After 3 years of just feeling my ass grow I’ve gone back to work, and boy do I now enjoy my free time in Thailand.

Edited by Tonto21

totally depends on the work you do i guess. most work i've had has been mind numbing, boring and left me so tired that got no real time for much else, or only a bare minimum at any rate. never lasted in a job more than 5 months, after the first month the novelty wares off and after 2-3 i cant wait to get out with what money i've saved and go travel. more time kicking back, reading and thinking the better. so many more subjects i'd like to delve into and hobbies/ skills i'd love to cultivate.

now i've "settled" somewhat and got kids i do know that feeling of "i should be doing something" from when have to spend a few days away. But anyone who complains of too much free time must have a serious lack of imajination.

Edited by mccw

totally depends on the work you do i guess. most work i've had has been mind numbing, boring and left me so tired that got no real time for much else, or only a bare minimum at any rate. never lasted in a job more than 5 months, after the first month the novelty wares off and after 2-3 i cant wait to get out with what money i've saved and go travel. more time kicking back, reading and thinking the better. so many more subjects i'd like to delve into and hobbies/ skills i'd love to cultivate.

now i've "settled" somewhat and got kids i do know that feeling of "i should be doing something" from when have to spend a few days away. But anyone who complains of too much free time must have a serious lack of imajination.

Too much free time can be bad, still i rather have too much free time then too much work (if i get paid the same). I am quite happy doing what i do and making money that way. I think i could never work for a Thai employer after all the horror stories i have heard.

It's arguably the biggest single problem facing all ex-pats in Thailand although many will not admit it, the solution for many is to take to the booze or similar, fact is that many folks don't plan the consequences of their retirement or even begin to understand what it entails.

I've been here, retired, since May. The only time that has been tedious is the past 2 weeks or so. A combination of being more limited in terms of moving around Bangkok due to the Red Shirts and a significant case of planar facitis that is seriously limiting my walking (down from as many as 9 km per day to 1.5 km per day).

Typically I keep myself busy with photo walks (my hobby) and the computer and some reading. Don't miss working a bit.

me always busy, use imagination.

exercise, cycle touring, hobbies like bike repair, read, computer stuff, enjoying nature and sun and warm climate, going to market for best food every day or two, getting a bit of a tan, drinking and hangover recovery occasionally, but I do go to UK for 3 months a year to work which does make you feel like you are needed.

Coming from a miserable and cold climate helps too.

I can't imagine retirement. I just figure when my health does not allow me to work every day then I will retire. Maybe I will find that one hobby that makes me look at retirement. Until then I will continue to work and just take vacations. My last vacation (2 weeks in Thailand) was August 2008.

Obviously I need to take another one.

I know the feeling, I spent 3 years here doing absolutely nothing after retiring at age 33. Found myself turning into a zombie with no mental stimulation, a feeling which seems to spiral with time. Ended up on the verge of alcoholism and depression so eventually decided to get off my arse and went and retrained to work in the O&G industry.

Now have a very good job based here in LOS, busy as hel_l but loving it. On the occassion it does get a bit too much I look back at my life of sloth and realise it's not so bad.

I would still like to retire properly someday, but will plan it alot better the next time