Swedish National Dies While Rescuing Thai Boy

webfact

although this a very sad story i find it hard to believe he died from lack of oxygen in a well only 10m deep...where i am well diggers dig wells to more than 20m depth and dont die from lack of oxygen

How he died is irrelevant.

The fact is that he died a hero, gave his life for the sake of others, the ultimate sacrifice.

A good ole sport and true human being.

My heartfelt condolences and sympathy to all concerned.

Edited by BigWheelMan

A very tragic story. My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased.

Pardon my ignorance, but, like a previous poster, no oxygen at 10 metres. I find this hard to believe. Also, to a previous poster, methane gas at 10 metres, I find that a bit hard to believe as well.

I am not suggesting anything sinister, just happy to learn from anyone on TV, who is in this type of industry, the possibilities of no oxygen at that depth and/or methane being present at that depth.

A previous post suggested a heart attack - this could be possible, but I doubt for all three victims (if the uncle and child died).

The story mentions it was a "well." Is it possible he/they drowned?

You can have methane collect at ground level. In many countries, house or industrial parks are built on old garbage dumps that have been covered over. The dumps produce gas. All the buildings have methane gas detectors to warn people to get out of the building if there is a build up of the gas. All that is required is a closed in area. The first floor of a house or building would do and a well 10 meters would do very nicely.

cheers

A very tragic story. My condolences to the friends and family of the deceased.

Pardon my ignorance, but, like a previous poster, no oxygen at 10 metres. I find this hard to believe. Also, to a previous poster, methane gas at 10 metres, I find that a bit hard to believe as well.

I am not suggesting anything sinister, just happy to learn from anyone on TV, who is in this type of industry, the possibilities of no oxygen at that depth and/or methane being present at that depth.

A previous post suggested a heart attack - this could be possible, but I doubt for all three victims (if the uncle and child died).

The story mentions it was a "well." Is it possible he/they drowned?

You can have methane collect at ground level. In many countries, house or industrial parks are built on old garbage dumps that have been covered over. The dumps produce gas. All the buildings have methane gas detectors to warn people to get out of the building if there is a build up of the gas. All that is required is a closed in area. The first floor of a house or building would do and a well 10 meters would do very nicely.

cheers

Sad story... RIP.

H2S Gas (Hydrogen Sulphide) is a more likely culprit. It's a high risk for the guys drilling shallow water and engineering wells and is deadly in very small concentrations (50 ppm). Methane is lighter than air so its unlikely that this is the cause. It would take a lot of CO2 to displace enough oxygen, possible.

Typical Thai news article. Why dont they think before writing? This article just leaves you with many questions... why wasnt boy tied to rope and lifted out of well... why did the sweede go into the well to "pull the man and boy out". Surely it would be wiser to pull them out from outside the well... especially the boy.

Did the man and boy die??

Typical Thai news reporting.... complete garbage and doesnt mean anything. Crap reports like this make you paranoid... like there is something more sinister going on, its like nobody bothers to check them.

Remember the report of the decapitated farang... head found IN plastic bag danging from bridge, the report stated the police expected it was a suicide. That certainly started a few comversations on TV... but actually the head was not in the bag and the bag had somehow got attached to the rope since the bag was in the noose. Anyway details in the articles make all the difference

One of Thailands downfalls is lack of attention to detail. I am wondering if is the very simplistic language and lack of vocabulary that leads to stupid thinking and people getting it wrong all the time. Maybe people would be smarter if they all learned to speak and think in English!

Typical Thai news article. Why dont they think before writing? This article just leaves you with many questions... why wasnt boy tied to rope and lifted out of well...

One of Thailands downfalls is lack of attention to detail. I am wondering if is the very simplistic language and lack of vocabulary that leads to stupid thinking and people getting it wrong all the time. Maybe people would be smarter if they all learned to speak and think in English!

Moller.gif

written by Editor-in-Chief

Gregers Moller

http://www.scandasia.com

ScandAsia is a FREE magazine for Scandinavians living in South East Asia and readers in the Nordic countries of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland interested in South East Asia for tourism or business purposes.

English makes you smarter? Really? Smart like you?

Can you speak any additional language next to English? I guess not.

Anyway i agree with you on the quality. (but not with your conclusions) That is the online journalism you get for free and it is exactly that what you can expect from such a publication. Language skills are not the main issue here, in this context native speaker wouldn't deliver much better articles.