Red-Shirts Blockade Thai Military Train

webfact

Thai protesters block military train

BANGKOK (AFP) -- One thousand Thai anti-government protesters have halted a military train carrying soldiers, heavy equipment and weapons in the country's northeast, authorities said Wednesday.

The 18-carriage train, which was travelling through Khon Kaen, which is a stronghold of the "Red Shirts" who have waged four weeks of street rallies in Bangkok, has been disconnected from its engine.

Railway officials said the Reds mistakenly believed the soldiers and equipment were destined to be used in a crackdown that authorities have warned they will unleash to end the demonstrations in the capital.

They said they were actually headed for Thailand's restive south, where a six-year separatist insurgency in the Muslim-majority southern provinces bordering Malaysia has left more than 4,000 people dead.

"The train is still parked at Khon Kaen station with 50 to 60 (national service) conscripts who are taking care of the weapons," said Lieutenant General Chotjin Kengkijkarn from the State Railway of Thailand's police force.

He said Red Shirt protesters surrounded the train, overwhelming the outnumbered soldiers, before provincial authorities agreed to stop the train from departing Khon Kean.

Thailand's south was an autonomous Malay Muslim sultanate until it was annexed in 1902 by mainly Buddhist Thailand and tensions have bubbled there ever since, escalating into the current insurgency in January 2004.

In the latest casualties there, a grenade attack and a car bomb in Pattani provinces Wednesday killed a policeman and injured dozens more police and civilians.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-21

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These reds just won't give up , trying to take over the military is a definite no no and they will get every thing they deserve , to many warnings now if action is not taken these crazy reds will kill a lot of people.

There is only one way to stop them and that is with the full force of the armed services.

Red shirts seized trains and detained soldiers in Khon Kaen

By The Nation

KON KAEN: -- Red shirts in Khon Kaen separately detained altogether 230 soldiers after seizing their trains as they were about to travel to Bangkok to join their comrades to disperse the red shirts protesters.

About 1,000 red shirts in Khon Kaen gathered at Khon Kaen train station at about 1.30pm after listening to a community radio programme which claimed that soldiers would leave for Bangkok to disperse the protesters.

They then seized the train which also carried 21 army vehicles and detained 80 soldiers on board.

Their commander then ordered his soldiers to get off the train. He told the red shirts that the soldiers would go to Pattani not Bangkok as claimed, but to no avail. Khon Kaen governor and other senior officials who rushed to the scene also failed to convince the red shirts to free the soldiers and trains.

A red shirt leader said that the leaders in Bangkok ordered the group to detain the soldiers and trains for five days.

"They told us that don't allow the soldiers to leave otherwise they would join other soldiers in Bangkok in dispersing the protesters. If we allow that happens, a large number of protesters would be killed, the leader said.

The red shirts then set up tents over the rail tracks to prevent the train from leaving the stations.

Later at about 4.30pm, a group of 1,000 soldiers blocked an intersection in Khon Kaen's Ban Pai district and seized three army buses which had 150 soldiers on board for the same reasons.

A police commander said that the soldiers were from an army camp in Udon Thani province. They were assigned to work in deep south province of Pattani, not in Bangkok as claimed by the red shirts leaders.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

It almost sounds like made-up-news a la notthenation.

It's hard to believe there were real military on board that train. Similarly, it's hard to believe that it was real military personnel who abandoned their vehicles and their weapons to the Reds on April 10th. If the Cambodians or Burmese are watching these events they might be thinking to themselves, "wow, we can just march in to Thailand with a couple thousand troops and take over the whole country in a week."

What sort of military brass will allow his troops to get ordered around by rabble?

Some heads should roll - both figuratively and literally.

If it was a trainload of school teachers, it would be more believable, ....but a trainload of military personnel ....come on!

And if the full force of the military is with the reds? :)

A wonderful reply to the "schoolmasterly analysis" above it, from whatever side of the fence you are on! Sorry saintofsilence but I like to be amused! :D

umm, dunno...perhaps they could ask some of them islamic militants from down south to come up to Rachaprasong with their RPGs and have a word with Thaksin's red-shirt lackies about Tak Bai? :D

Thats why they have to act now the moment a red tries to take a weapon or military personel they should be shot , enough warnings.

Absolutely, flogging's too good for them. :D

Edited by danc

These reds just won't give up , trying to take over the military is a definite no no and they will get every thing they deserve , to many warnings now if action is not taken these crazy reds will kill a lot of people.

There is only one way to stop them and that is with the full force of the armed services.

Hello there, I work for the Burmese government and I am wondering if you'll like to come work for us as an advisor on internal affairs.

Thai gov't subcontract things out to foreigners once in awhile.

The nuclear power plants will be subbed out to foreign contractors, and their operations will be overseen by foreigners.

So too, perhaps security for Thailand and Bkk be subbed out, if the local boys aren't up to doing the job. Israel's Mossad or Iran's Savak might be interested, if the price were right.

Plus, the Israelis are experts at using fortified tractors to go in and move unwanted things out of the way. Tractors would have to backed up by ground troops - and literally scoop the protesters and their barricades up and out of the disputed sites.

Edited by brahmburgers

The nuclear power plants will be subbed out to foreign contractors, and their operations will be overseen by foreigners.

So too, perhaps security for Thailand and Bkk be subbed out, if the local boys aren't up to doing the job. Israel's Mossad or Iran's Savak might be interested, if the price were right.

Actually I think the American Girl Scouts could do a better job then the Thai police.

Actually I think the American Girl Scouts could do a better job then the Thai police.

Don't piss off a Girl Scout, she'll smack you with a box of cookies. And yea, you're probably right, Thai security forces won't even smack adversaries with boxes of cookies. They'll just drop their weapons and walk in to the nearest rice paddy.

About 1,000 red shirts in Khon Kaen gathered at Khon Kaen train station at about 1.30pm after listening to a community radio programme which claimed that soldiers would leave for Bangkok to disperse the protesters.

A red shirt leader said that the leaders in Bangkok ordered the group to detain the soldiers and trains for five days.

"They told us that don't allow the soldiers to leave otherwise they would join other soldiers in Bangkok in dispersing the protesters. If we allow that happens, a large number of protesters would be killed, the leader said.

I hope they don't block the stations transmissions, that would be censorship and denying free speech.

Later at about 4.30pm, a group of 1,000 soldiers blocked an intersection in Khon Kaen's Ban Pai district and seized three army buses which had 150 soldiers on board for the same reasons.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

I don't get this bit

It's pretty hard to get people to do a good job if they don't want to.

Are we approaching a pre-civil war situation now? If the soldiers were quite happy to have their train captured, perhaps they can be enlisted with other watermelon units in the Grand Army of the Northeast. The Army of the North wouldn't be far behind them.

However, I suppose the military will start doing deals among themselves before long and take charge of the whole sorry affair, with an invitation to Thaksin to return and a military-controlled "national government of reconciliation" set up.

Sorry I think it's hilarious - only in Thailand would the military be hijacked. I think this is another case of we are staying out of this. :)

Well when you get a group of red thugs who use women and young children and as human shields because they have been bribed with money ,what do you expect , the army don't want kill them.

How can anyone support these reds.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

I don't get this bit

So some soldiers are showing their fruit variety (watermelon soldiers). THAT is not a good sign.

from; The Nation newspaper

I don't get this bit

I agree. It has insubordination written all over it.

What is Arisman doing about this? Is he getting a pedicure and neck rub while watching the latest Thai Soaps on TV? Wouldn't want to rock the boat this close to one's retirement date, would we.

Edited by brahmburgers

Sorry I think it's hilarious - only in Thailand would the military be hijacked. I think this is another case of we are staying out of this. :)

How can anyone support these reds.

Same tactic the yellows used - the reds learned this lesson well. Anyways its good to see support from the army - even if passively. :D

"The train is still parked at Khon Kaen station with 50 to 60 (national service) conscripts who are taking care of the weapons," said Lieutenant General Chotjin Kengkijkarn from the State Railway of Thailand's police force.

What happens when the weapons start disappearing?

I don't get this bit

What is Arisman doing about this? Is he getting a pedicure and neck rub while watching the latest Thai Soaps on TV? Wouldn't want to rock the boat this close to one's retirement date, would we.

Very bad choice of words.

I don't get this bit

I am guessing you mean Anupong...but I do love the idea of the old crooner retiring, no doubt exhausted after his 007 stunt down the rope and he is far more likely to be getting his eyelashes done- they don't look right to me or is it the whole hair thing is a bit fishy? :)