If You Had To - Could You?

GuestHouse

Simon's considering it, and there have been a few others who have done it - Gone home or gone back 'West'.

With the on going political turmoil, the prospects of yet another nationalist government in Thailand and of course exchange rates we each need to consider that going home might no longer be a free choice.

We are afterall most of us "Guests" here in Thailand and "Guests" can sometimes for all sorts of reasons become not welcome anymore.

So if it did turn out to be 'Game Over' and you were forced to go home/west could you actually go? Would you have enough cash to move back, set up home again, buy an air ticket even?

Or are the bridges burned?

Edited by GuestHouse

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we still feel that it would not be necessary to leave, unless theykicked us all out..

agree with others a move to Vietnam be likely..

if we had wanted to go 'home', would have done so by now.home is where the heart is, Thailand / SEA

.no attraction to go back; ; hooligans, government debt, bad attitude, etc etc..

I've only ever been an expat in Thailand

but hear that, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are very nice.

....... then the Philippines, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, India

Was I daft enough to invest any of my hard-earned in Thailand? Not on your life!

(I don't believe in spending capital, what I have I keep .... no matter how pretty/young the girl is)

Edited by sarahsbloke

Was I daft enough to invest any of my hard earned in Thailand? Not on your life!

(I don't believe in spending capital, what I had I keep)

My favorite place is in a place in the USA I am not going to tell you about. It is a sleepy fishing town........almost no crime.......easy lifestyle (lots of peace of mind there).

I would go back if I could find a way to live there.

The USA, with all of its faults, has some of the most fantastic views on the planet.........and wonderful food.

The big city life there is a real turn off for me........as it is in Thailand.

Closer to Thailand..........I would consider Vietnam and Cambodia.

Both have done far better than Thailand in terms of economic growth rate........both seem more expat friendly (especially Cambodia).

After they reach a certain state of development, I think they will be viable alternatives to Thailand.

....... then the Philippines, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, India

Was I daft enough to invest any of my hard-earned in Thailand? Not on your life!

(I don't believe in spending capital, what I have I keep .... no matter how pretty/young the girl is)

Well- i have been investing in Thai stock exchange and making a tidy profit upto 23% return on some of my stocks (even since the red shirts began protesting this time) :)

Yes would be ok to start over....for me....the country I am living in, and the country I work in dont need to be the same country, I can commute...

Before moving "West" again, I would look at Cambodia or Vietnam maybe even Malaysia.

I could go home....but wouldnt be West, more South West....LOL

If it hit the fan here and you had to leave, would your 'other half' go with you and leave everything she or he has behind?

If I were chucked out, Thailand could look after its own, I don't do baggage anymore (never let emotion come between you and your money).

As I am only a guest here I don't believe I have to behave any other way .... now give me Thai citizenship and maybe I would take my responsibility to my Thai wife and our children more seriously.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Well if you think Thailand is a basket case- wait until you get to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Philippines- corruption is worse for a start, infrastructure is terrible, bureaucracy is worse etc..

As an alternative I would recommned Jakarta or Bali. Jakarta is a modern city (certainly more so than Vietnam, Laos etc), westernized, quite good facilities. Bali great beach location, very hot women too:)

Edited by ExpatJ

IF I had to go back West? No problem. I maintain a house back there and keep money aside for an emergency flight back because you never know what the future holds. I would not want to go back. I would not want to sell the house either unless I needed the money or was certain enough of having a stable relationship to set up here. The house is there for either future needs or for my son and my grandchildren should I die.

To be honest, living in the north of Pattaya, I would not even know there are red shirted or multi colored shirted shenanigans going on in BKK. I read about it here on the internet, newspapers and television but it might as well be as distant as that volcano in Europe. So by no means is it "game over" as stated by the OP because really it has not affected me nor inconvenienced me in anyway. But I suppose when the crunch came and I felt threatened or clearly unwelcomed (a long way off I reckon), then I will remember that I am a guest here and will pack up for greener pastures elsewhere.

Its a few phone calls and a few free ads away, but I don't think we would ever be FORCED to leave Thailand.

Then what do I know? I live in issan and have black skin... :) My opinion really shouldn't count for anything, should it?

If it hit the fan here and you had to leave, would your 'other half' go with you and leave everything she or he has behind?

If I were chucked out, Thailand could look after its own, I don't do baggage anymore (never let emotion come between you and your money).

As I am only a guest here I don't believe I have to behave any other way .... now give me Thai citizenship and maybe I would take my responsibility to my Thai wife and our children more seriously.

You need citizenship to take your responsibilities to your wife and kids more seriously?... (I'm not sure that was intended quite as it reads ???)

If Thailand made it too difficult to stay here, I would go back to the UK and I'd be happy about it. What I wouldnt be happy about is having to pay the high tax I'd get charged there.

At the moment there is a nice loophole where people can live in Thailand and work on a rotational basis outside of Thailand (and get paid outside of Thailand) and not have to pay tax here. Or with contracts that are taken here the local tax is often covered by the employer (This could be industry specific).

That's what I like most about it here.

I came here with work at first, I thought the place was a little backward and still do in some respects, but that backwardness also has many positive sides that I'd miss if I had to leave.

If my hand was forced I would move back to the UK, but not another asian country as it simply takes too long to build up the contacts sufficiently enough to have that 'not getting stitched up by corrupt officials' card and feel comfortable when the jollies (Police) try it on, or know that we would be protected against extortion and serious (false) charges incase of a more serious event.

It might be difficult for my wife who'd miss her Family and friends, but we could visit regularly. The most difficult aspect of moving back to the UK or another country would be ensuring that my wife is happy and occupied, she would have to start her business over again in the UK, which would mean lots of hard work, starting from scratch with new laws and regulations.

It might simply be easier to do whatever it takes to remain legally in Thailand for her sake. Whatever we do, we have already discussed possibilities and eventualities and agreed that we would always discuss our decisions together and whatever conclusions we come to together we would try for at least a year before making any further decisions.

You need citizenship to take your responsibilities to your wife and kids more seriously?... (I'm not sure that was intended quite as it reads ???)

Yes it reads as it should it comes from the same guy who thinks driving drunk is ok. (just read his previous posts).

If i was forced to leave, i would do anything to get my wife to go with me. I created my job myself and can do it from anywhere in the world so that is not a big problem. I like it here i have a house here (only used a bit of money the rest we mortgaged) so i would be leaving that. That is not a big thing its not like one of those villa's most farang here have.

I would go to Malaysia or maybe Philippines, but it would be hard on my wife because she could not work then.

People who are forced to leave likely have financial problems and that's the reason they must relocate. In the highly unlikely instance that the Thai government forces us to leave, the chance of a young man finding a job are much better in the west. For people living on a decent pension, they could live nearly anywhere they choose. As for myself, I'd probably have a shot at Laos and if that didn't work out, I'd go back to the US. I'm sure my wife would be willing to go wherever I chose. (I think). :)

For a young man working in Thailand earning peanuts and raising a family, they are between a rock and a hard place. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable living day to day. Having no extra money for saving and building no pension would likely mean a very rocky future.

If I absolutely had to, I could return to Mexico. Considered Puerto Veracruz a couple of years ago.

Where do you want me to send the money for your coffin?

People throw the word anarchy around in TV, but Mexico is teetering on the verge of anarchy with a full blown drug war in progress. they have bodies everywhere. Sorry, but I give you all of 1 week before you get slain in the crossfire. That's how bad it is.

As for me, I have a fancy for the South pacific. Samoa was accomodating, Roratonga an adventure, Vanuatu had the best croissants, Fiji has a military dictatorship if I ever miss Thailand, & Tonga has lots of fat people.

I can go wherever I want to go now. Thing is I would miss Thai food. Can I bring a Thai cook along?

Edited by geriatrickid

People who are forced to leave likely have financial problems and that's the reason they must relocate. In the highly unlikely instance that the Thai government forces us to leave, the chance of a young man finding a job are much better in the west. For people living on a decent pension, they could live nearly anywhere they choose. As for myself, I'd probably have a shot at Laos and if that didn't work out, I'd go back to the US. I'm sure my wife would be willing to go wherever I chose. (I think). :)

For a young man working in Thailand earning peanuts and raising a family, they are between a rock and a hard place. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable living day to day. Having no extra money for saving and building no pension would likely mean a very rocky future.

These posts are so stale...

I am sure I am not the only young man who came here having already pretty much secured my future. Ok, I'm not raising a family but i am sure there are plenty of people who are, who also realised you don't have to be old to be prepared financially.

is simon the one who ran out of money?

a lot different than being ousted by the thai government.

A BUNCH OF RICE FARMERS THROW A TANTRUM AND YOU GUYS THINK THAILAND IS COMMING TO AN END! WHAT GIVES?

A BUNCH OF RICE FARMERS THROW A TANTRUM AND YOU GUYS THINK THAILAND IS COMMING TO AN END! WHAT GIVES?

Got to agree with you- some people are over reacting to this big time- there is no chance that the Thai government would ever force foreigners out or suddenly make it impossible to live here- never happen. ever. period.

I suspect that the people with these very negative views of Thailand have other problems- probably related to a lack of funds or bad experiences with the ladies- and this just makes them down on thailand in general.

@kkkq:

No, many feel uncomfortable long time already and are looking subconscious for an excuse to run away.

While others are afraid of the future.

Whereas others feel uncomfortable long time already and are afraid of the future simultaneously.

Whilst others are bored to death and are longing for a change.

there is no chance that the Thai government would ever force foreigners out or suddenly make it impossible to live here- never happen. ever. period.

And Why is there no chance that this could happen ??....not disagreeing with you as this stage, but like to hear your arguements to support this statement.

Some people have been here for decades, and they understand Thailand is getting worse year after year.

They also see xenophobia increasing around them.

That is "what gives."