If You Had To - Could You?

GuestHouse

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. Aside from the current redshirt silliness, there are things on the horizon that may mean rough going in the kingdom, time to be elsewhere.

I like Lao, but I don't think I'd like to stay there long term. Malaysia would be ok for a while. I've checked out all the other countries in the region and those are my only two candidates.

I used to live in Brazil, moved around Argentina a bit, then came out here for a change. In the meantime Brazil's economy took off and the exchange rate has soared: combining these, it would now cost three to four times what it did in 2002 for me to live there. I also suspect Arg's economy may tank again like it did in 2001; the thing is the crash did not cause hyperinflation at the time, which made for cheap living for a few years.

One thing South America has going against it is crime. Yeah, plenty of crime in Thailand, but compared to SA this is Switzerland.

I suspect that the people with these very negative views of Thailand have other problems- probably related to a lack of funds or bad experiences with the ladies- and this just makes them down on thailand in general.

bingo! it's nearly always the poor boys who excel with their negative or even derogatory statements :) but most amusing are their claims "it's much cheaper to live in [insert home country]" :D

If I absolutely had to, I could return to Mexico. Considered Puerto Veracruz a couple of years ago.

Where do you want me to send the money for your coffin?

People throw the word anarchy around in TV, but Mexico is teetering on the verge of anarchy with a full blown drug war in progress. they have bodies everywhere. Sorry, but I give you all of 1 week before you get slain in the crossfire. That's how bad it is.

On the northern borders, yes. Central Gulf coast, probably not.

Excellent topic!!

So if it did turn out to be 'Game Over' and you were forced to go home/west could you actually go?

Well, with Thailand being 'home', it wouldn't so much be 'going home', it'd be 'going some place new'. This could be my country of origin, but to be honest it wouldn't be my first choice. If it HAD to be my country of origin then it would be possible; I could find a job, my mum would enjoy having us over while we source a house or apartment..

Now, I'd be SEVERELY miserable there, though the prospect of going on Thailand forums and whining about why it was the right 'choice' and why Thailand has had it's day and why any Farang still there is delusional would make up for some. :)

Or, I'd actually brag about having such an interesting job that even when my company hauls me off to some godforsaken sand pit, I'd claim the variety is a good thing and whine about the delusional people enjoying themselves in Thailand. :D

If I absolutely had to, I could return to Mexico. Considered Puerto Veracruz a couple of years ago.

Where do you want me to send the money for your coffin?

People throw the word anarchy around in TV, but Mexico is teetering on the verge of anarchy with a full blown drug war in progress. they have bodies everywhere. Sorry, but I give you all of 1 week before you get slain in the crossfire. That's how bad it is.

On the northern borders, yes. Central Gulf coast, probably not.

after years of suffering the thai climate we somehow we regret not having given Lake Chapala more than one thought. over there people don't drive on the wrong side of the roads, they speak a language we understand, aircondition is a luxury, residence permit is a breeze and income tax for retirees is nada like in Thailand. oh well... shit happens :)

p.s. "Mexico is teetering on the verge of anarchy" = bull² !

I don't see a need to leave here. Exchange rate does not affect me much and the political troubles are quite localized.

I could go home any day. I'd probably pay less rent at home than here, no issue again.

But the weather, food and ladies are of much better quality here, so why should I?

One alternative to Thailand would be Malaysia which has a reasonable visa system for expats. Vietnam a nice country, but infrastructure still lacks, needs another 10 years or so to be attractive.

Good question and good timing for it.

I just moved here last May. I'm one of the lucky ones. I have an excellent retirement pension and I have burned no bridges in the States. Although I would probably move to Colorado, rather than back to Virginia. For me it would be terribly disappointing and inconvenient (e.g., reshipping personal belongings back to the States), and a little expensive to go about buying a home back in the States and furnishing it. But all that could be done...except losing the relationship.

But it is something I have thought about. If it's inconvenient for a while...okay. If it became truly unsafe...I'd have to consider it. It it got to the point I couldn't move around and enjoy the country...I'd have to consider it.

Sigh.

You are all welcome to Nigeria, we give all the best jobs to the Westerners. But you will have to import your tilac, grog, food, and car mechanic.

I think I received a job offer from there in my email today from some woman who blesses me in human love and contentment. :)

there is no chance that the Thai government would ever force foreigners out or suddenly make it impossible to live here- never happen. ever. period.

And Why is there no chance that this could happen ??....not disagreeing with you as this stage, but like to hear your arguments to support this statement.

Well- thailand is a middle income country, has a relatively strong economy /private sector, industry. Key Thai leaders in all sectors are fairly westernized (studied/trained/ travel often to the West/do business with the west) and all are heavily invested here and making lots of money. If they suddenly threw out all the foreigners or made it virtually impossible for foreigners to stay here, they know the economy and foreign investment would drop like a stone. Its pure self interest for them to allow foreigners to live, work, visit and stay here. Plus the growth in an educated, influential middle class- who would be fully against a policy of getting rid of foreigners- makes it even harder.

The type of event that some people talk about- foreigners being thrown out actually or through harsh de facto means- only occurs in very poor under developed countries and even then very very rarely - think Uganda 1970s with Idi Amin, Taliban in Afganistan 1990s.

Id be happy to bet with anyone here that foreigners will never be thrown out of Thailand en mass in the future - we can leave the money with lawyer and check again in what- 1 yr? 5 yrs? 10 yrs?

Anyone? :-)

People who are forced to leave likely have financial problems and that's the reason they must relocate. In the highly unlikely instance that the Thai government forces us to leave, the chance of a young man finding a job are much better in the west. For people living on a decent pension, they could live nearly anywhere they choose. As for myself, I'd probably have a shot at Laos and if that didn't work out, I'd go back to the US. I'm sure my wife would be willing to go wherever I chose. (I think). :)

For a young man working in Thailand earning peanuts and raising a family, they are between a rock and a hard place. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable living day to day. Having no extra money for saving and building no pension would likely mean a very rocky future.

These posts are so stale...

I am sure I am not the only young man who came here having already pretty much secured my future. Ok, I'm not raising a family but i am sure there are plenty of people who are, who also realised you don't have to be old to be prepared financially.

Define PRETTY much secured. I have seen many young men come to Thailand with a pocket full of money and big ideas. After several years they have gotten married, have kids and their big ideas have failed. Now they are beyond their prime earning years, broke and scratching for a day to day living. It's not very likely that a young man will have a decent pension for his old age.

Stale post or not, it's a fact that young men hate to think about the future and their approaching old age.

Yes i could go if i had too or thought it wise too. I,d go back to England ,probably continue my caddying job take my Thai wife with me,she has been ther twice before speaks English quite well. My wifes daughter would stay here with her Mum and we,d send her money every month to take care of her.

What i would say is don,t have anything here that your not prepared to walk away from, if the dark brown stuff should hit the fan. :)

While making an interesting read this is a topic I'd really rather not contemplate. The doom and gloomers can see the sky falling, the Thailand's wonderful brigade wouldn't believe it if it hit them between the eyes! For me, I live here, it's home and I love the relaxed way of life but whilst reading posts on I here have no real worries either way.

I couldn't possibly afford to live back in the UK on minimum wage, piddling pension and waning savings so if they really did drag me kicking and screaming to airport I guess I'd stick my finger in the map somewhere else in SE Asia and be on my merry, if frugal, way!

Life is what you make of it. :)

People who are forced to leave likely have financial problems and that's the reason they must relocate. In the highly unlikely instance that the Thai government forces us to leave, the chance of a young man finding a job are much better in the west. For people living on a decent pension, they could live nearly anywhere they choose. As for myself, I'd probably have a shot at Laos and if that didn't work out, I'd go back to the US. I'm sure my wife would be willing to go wherever I chose. (I think). :)

For a young man working in Thailand earning peanuts and raising a family, they are between a rock and a hard place. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable living day to day. Having no extra money for saving and building no pension would likely mean a very rocky future.

These posts are so stale...

I am sure I am not the only young man who came here having already pretty much secured my future. Ok, I'm not raising a family but i am sure there are plenty of people who are, who also realised you don't have to be old to be prepared financially.

Define PRETTY much secured. I have seen many young men come to Thailand with a pocket full of money and big ideas. After several years they have gotten married, have kids and their big ideas have failed. Now they are beyond their prime earning years, broke and scratching for a day to day living. It's not very likely that a young man will have a decent pension for his old age.

Stale post or not, it's a fact that young men hate to think about the future and their approaching old age.

I mean enough to provide a residual income substantially greater than a decent teachers salary without touching the capital after allowing for a few splurge purchases. Unless the x rate plumetted and stayed below say 35b to the pound then when I qualify for a retirement visa, I'll consider this my home if I don't find somewhere or something/one I like more in the meantime.

Until then I can tick over on what I make here (less the odd splurge) more than happily. But Then I am not married, I just like Golf and Motorbikes and Graduate School.

sorry if the definition is vague, but I think it covers the bases.

In true Thai style, foreigners (on mass) will never be kicked out…. Never, well, not until the whole county is engulfed in civil war, no international inward investment, no tourists coming anymore and the economy in tatters. That’s when all foreigners will be deported; after all, they won’t blame each other for what’s happened……Will they?

There are possible scenarios that can play out as the result of things we are not permitted to speak of.

There are things about Thailand that I prefer not to think about, as if they will cease to exist if they are ignored.

Listening to some of these redshirts is quite sobering; I'm not worried about them running riot etc, but what if some of these great minds managed to get into real positions of power. All it takes is some loudmouth to get up there and tell that the problem with this country is all the farangs, and then comes a list to rationalize the claim, truth be d_amned. Not too different from what happens in Argentina when things go bad: they bring up the Falklands again and start banging the war drums. For those of you who think the Falklands have only recently reappeared in the news, well, I can tell you that while living in Arg. the Malvinas (Falklands) were mentioned several times a week in the newspapers over the past decade (at least), including movies being made about the heroism shown in the war, dedication of memorials etc.

There are certain places in South America where every European and North American is suspected of being CIA/Interpol. It could happen here.

I have seen this question being raised quite often on Thai boards lately and I wonder why. Thailand has had a long history of coups. The gap between different levels of society has been quite obvious to any outside observer. Nevertheless, lots of expats have chosen to stay here in the first place and are now questioning their decision (really? because of that?).

Now, to what extent have recent events really affected you? Apart from the blockages near Central World and consequential traffic chaos, did you feel unsafe or in any way threatened? In my point of view, this is "just another" episode that will pass sooner or later. So how does all this "really" affect you taking into consideration that the inconveniences (though rather annoying I agree) will eventually pass and have hardly any impact on your daily life?

Referring to the worsened traffic conditions, in many other Western cities, I struggle to work and back home for (sometimes) hours, what is really just a 10-15 km drive on a daily basis. Public transport outside Europe generally is a grief - actually much worse than Bangkok (considering we are in a 3rd World country).

Are recent events really just the famous drop that make some people reconsider, I wonder, and make it more easy to justify/ rationalize a decision one had been pondering over long before?

It's always a good idea to have an exit plan, wherever you live. I learned that in 1979, while working in Iran. Thanks to Ayatollah Khomeini and Jimmy Carter, we lost everything we had.

You are all welcome to Nigeria, we give all the best jobs to the Westerners. But you will have to import your tilac, grog, food, and car mechanic.

I'm in Nigeria at this very moment, its not as bad as people think. However there are cities to avoid like Port Harcourt (where i happen to be). The people are very friendly (except the kid nappers and militants) the climate is the same but the infrastructure is terrible. Oh and the strain of malaria is deadly, other than that its not so bad. You can even do your daily shopping while driving home, there are sellers bringing things right to your window. Just don't piss of the MOPO (police) they carry AK 47's and may shoot you if you don't pay the bribe.

If I were chucked out, Thailand could look after its own, I don't do baggage anymore (never let emotion come between you and your money).

As I am only a guest here I don't believe I have to behave any other way .... now give me Thai citizenship and maybe I would take my responsibility to my Thai wife and our children more seriously.

you are not serious are you???

what does nationality/citizenship have anything to do with your love, affection and care for your family?

Not a foreigner or a guest, but bridges in place just in case. Would have to rough it for awhile (in a hotel) until my leased out condo tenant's contract ends (no worries, mostly students on a year to year deal), or until we could make arrangements for our relatives currently living in our house in Texas to move out and find a place to rent so that we could move back in.

But the situation would have to be extremely untenable (as in our businesses would all have to be going downhill, all major banks would need to be failing, long term airport/seaport closures, etc.) here before it would come to that.

:)

If it came to it we could leave without much trouble, except for condo to sell etc. Really like LOS but do get a little tired of the uncertainty of living here and not feeling permanent.

Home I guess would be the USA but haven't lived there since 1982 and doubt that it would be my choice now. Uruguay has a lot of appeal to us. Haven't been there but plan to go check it out in Sept. If we like it we might bounce back and forth for a few years until we decide which one to call permanent.

After thinking about it for a while it seems like a fun adventure.

As I am only a guest here I don't believe I have to behave any other way .... now give me Thai citizenship and maybe I would take my responsibility to my Thai wife and our children more seriously.

You're a despicable man. Anyway, you need to be human before you can be a citizen, you <deleted>.

YAAWWWWWNNNNNN... :)

Ohh! so that's how you get to 11,544 posts in 4 years.

There will be ups and downs but nothing major. As someone said, the powers that be won't be stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds them.

is simon the one who ran out of money?

Indeed I did, for various reasons too complex to explain :D

But that was about 18 months ago. Now I'm happy to say that I am gainfully employed again in the software business, have a work permit and 200k baht/month in my bank account. Not a fortune, but about 200k/month more than I had 18 months ago!

So it's not really money that is making me consider my options about Thailand. It's more to do with concerns about affordable health care as I grew older, business opportunities for my partner and me, and my continuing unease about where Thailand is going, especially when that important event occurs to Him.

There are opportunities for me in the space/satellite/telecoms sector back in Europe, and it could make very good sense for me to do a few years of this work, put some money in the bank, and then return to Thailand in a few years - if it is still on the map :)

Simon