Future Pattaya, What It Like In 2020?

gguy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" ... all vacant land between Beach Rd and Third will be developed."

I think of this as well; and, I would bet that all land between Third Road and Sukhumvit will be developed.

Twenty years of development in Pattaya is a long time. Imagine the changes that will occur on the darkside.

Quite likely it will no longer be 'dark.'

Those who have looked at shop townhouses know they are not that expensive although not cheap compared to lower end condos.

In my opinion investing in a shop townhouse for personal occupancy represents a solid investment. The first floor can be used as

a personal garage for parking. Guaranteed parking will become far more scarce over the next couple of decades. I have seen a

couple of townhouses with the ground floor level being used for parking on Soi Bukoew. Vehicles garaged this way are reasonably

safe as well.

Good luck getting water in 2010, it'll probably be trucked in at some incredibly ridiculous price only the elite will be able to afford, the bright side, this will get rid of the rift raft.

De-Salination?, possibly a good investment

Those who have looked at shop townhouses know they are not that expensive although not cheap compared to lower end condos.

In my opinion investing in a shop townhouse for personal occupancy represents a solid investment. The first floor can be used as

a personal garage for parking. Guaranteed parking will become far more scarce over the next couple of decades. I have seen a

couple of townhouses with the ground floor level being used for parking on Soi Bukoew. Vehicles garaged this way are reasonably

safe as well.

The problem is that the numbers do not stack up. For less money than your shop house you can buy a proper house with a walled garden and have your car off the road beside your far superior living quarters.

I am not convinced that multi floors work in Pattaya. In highly concentrated areas they could work but I think people would rather move to an area further from the beach than go upstairs. The short lived but unsuccessful example of the Pier at the entrance to Walking Street is a classic example. Millions spent, not customers, though they did make the crucial mistake of going back on their plan to put in an escalator.

They'll work if there's no other bar areas in the city to go to.

Edited by PattayaParent

I think the "Old Pattaya " will disappear entirely.

In a move to create more " family" & international clientele ,the resort will become a faceless concrete hotel thoroughfare ,identityless boulevards adjacent to a very thin beach.

As profits go down & numbers dwindle,it will become more a "weekend" destination for commuters from Bangkok,who seek ,shoppong dining & drinking by the sea.

Increased commercial & industrial developments will make the port & gas terminal more profitable for investment.

Traffic will still be horrendous as their will be no reinvestment on a coherent transportation policy.

Many the resident "farang" property owners will either move to less developed areas or leave Thailand.

Sorry it is a bit bleak,of course under a concerted Tourism strategy ,it could all improve

When you refer to the "old Pattaya" how far back do you mean? I first visited Pattaya in 2003 and since that time I can see the mass changes, some for the better and some for the worse. Do you think we've seen the best of Pattaya?

I still think Pattaya is getting better, I thinks it's growing and will continue to grow, hopefully for the better.

When you refer to the "old Pattaya" how far back do you mean? I first visited Pattaya in 2003 and since that time I can see the mass changes, some for the better and some for the worse. Do you think we've seen the best of Pattaya?

I still think Pattaya is getting better, I thinks it's growing and will continue to grow, hopefully for the better.

I thinks its getting better too.

However who knows what will happen in 10 years time, will the poles melt and rise water levels a couple of meters, I hope not but don't know. Drinking water will maybe getting much more expensive due to climate change and world overpopulation. Well enough dooms day talk, lets enjoy it for now :)

I thinks its getting better too.

However who knows what will happen in 10 years time, will the poles melt and rise water levels a couple of meters, I hope not but don't know. Drinking water will maybe getting much more expensive due to climate change and world overpopulation. Well enough dooms day talk, lets enjoy it for now :)

Agreed, anyway isn't the world going to end 2012?

the Thai are left out of the picture in what I've read. There'll be an increase in population, and more elderly people in need of a retirement home ( not with children any more) . So not only more Thai tourists , but more Thai as a whole, there to stay .

condos will be turned into geriatric homes .

bars will be turned into geriatric social clubs

lady bars will be turned into geriatric nurses.

other condos will be taken by Thai families of nurses, doctors, chiropractors .

geriatric homes are the best money making investment at the moment in France ( and lots of related jobs).

Of course I don't think all of Pattaya will turn this way,but the elderly Thai should be in the picture.

Absolutely.........we have seen the best of Pattaya.........it died around 2000..........and it will never return.

Too bad for those who have no idea what I am talking about.

Too bad for those that do.

Tejas - you are so negative why don't you pursue some of your alternate retirement destination posts. In Pattaya you feel there is only death, destruction, mayhem, gloom and doom according to this and previous posts. And for God's sake stay away from your balcony!

Edited by gerry53

Tejas - you are so negative why don't you pursue some of your alternate retirement destination posts. In Pattaya you feel there is only death, destruction, mayhem, gloom and doom according to this and previous posts. And for God's sake stay away from your balcony!

All I am doing is presenting reality. If you don't like it or disagree, fine.

Balcony? Not me........I was smart enough not to get involved in real estate.

No, I do not share the opinion above and have pointed out positive things about the place.

Yes, I have been pursuing and living in alternative destinations.

If you like "doom and gloom," read this:

http://www.pattayaone.net/

Pattaya.......the good one........is DEAD. RIP.

Tejas you just proved my point! I wasn't assuming you might jump off your balcony because of real estate issues just mental ones. Sometimes people need to get away for a reality check, it can be a good thing.

The local papers as many world wide often concentrate on the negative things - it sells better than good stories. Fox news is a good example.

Tejas you just proved my point! I wasn't assuming you might jump off your balcony because of real estate issues just mental ones. Sometimes people need to get away for a reality check, it can be a good thing.

The local papers as many world wide often concentrate on the negative things - it sells better than good stories. Fox news is a good example.

Oh........sorry, let me put on my rose-colored glasses to reach reality: nothing bad is happening in Pattaya..........all the negative stuff is nothing but lies..........every person who says something negative about the place is mentally deranged or screwed up some way...........it is getting better and better and better.

How was that? Did that make you feel good?

There are many things in Pattaya - Jomtien that are not good but most of us don't CONSTANTLY obsess about them. Some of us even find many positive things and that's why many of us came here in the first place. In our home countries things were not perfect either. I assure you I am a realist and dont wear rose colored glasses either. I didn't say you were "mentally deranged" or "screwed up" (your quotes) only a trip away from the place may enlighten you why you came here in the first place.

I don't understand why many expats become so upset living here but many probably had similar problems living in their home countries before they left for the greener pastures of Pattaya.

There are many things in Pattaya - Jomtien that are not good but most of us don't CONSTANTLY obsess about them. Some of us even find many positive things and that's why many of us came here in the first place. In our home countries things were not perfect either. I assure you I am a realist and dont wear rose colored glasses either. I didn't say you were "mentally deranged" or "screwed up" (your quotes) only a trip away from the place may enlighten you why you came here in the first place.

I don't understand why many expats become so upset living here but many probably had similar problems living in their home countries before they left for the greener pastures of Pattaya.

They are upset because things have gotten much worse in Pattaya (and Thailand). It is really that simple. You are trying to complicate the issue with psycho-babble.

Tejas - read some of you previous posts (from this and other topis) now that's psycho-babble, time for a reality check old boy?

I agree with Britmaverick it is still a fun city.

Edited by gerry53

Interesting diversions.......now .......what is the subject? Oh yeah.....WHAT WILL PATTAYA BE LIKE IN 2020.

I think several changes will take place:

1) infrastructure problem will worsen.......there will be serious water shortages, electricity problems, waste disposal problems

2) the Gulf of Thailand will become more polluted (no swimming)

3) the coral reefs will be dead (already dying fast from global warming/climate change)

4) beach erosion will be massive and average temperature will rise (consequence of global warming/climate change)

5) crime will increase (certainly will not be considered safe like it was in the past)

6) the cost of living will be out of reach for most expats on a budget (food prices will go way up)

7) the expat community will become increasingly geriatric (already happening) and the govt. will see them as a burden and abrogate the grandfathered in visa rules, making it very difficult for them to remain in Thailand

8) the expat community will suffer from widespread xenophobia

9) the composition of the expat community will shift from Western to Eastern (Middle East, India, China)........Westerners will begin to see other places as better retirement options

10) the quality of life will decline substantially as a result of the above changes coupled with more people pollution

Interesting diversions.......now .......what is the subject? Oh yeah.....WHAT WILL PATTAYA BE LIKE IN 2020.

I think several changes will take place:

1) infrastructure problem will worsen.......there will be serious water shortages, electricity problems, waste disposal problems

2) the Gulf of Thailand will become more polluted (no swimming)

3) the coral reefs will be dead (already dying fast from global warming/climate change)

4) beach erosion will be massive and average temperature will rise (consequence of global warming/climate change)

5) crime will increase (certainly will not be considered safe like it was in the past)

6) the cost of living will be out of reach for most expats on a budget (food prices will go way up)

7) the expat community will become increasingly geriatric (already happening) and the govt. will see them as a burden and abrogate the grandfathered in visa rules, making it very difficult for them to remain in Thailand

8) the expat community will suffer from widespread xenophobia

9) the composition of the expat community will shift from Western to Eastern (Middle East, India, China)........Westerners will begin to see other places as better retirement options

10) the quality of life will decline substantially as a result of the above changes coupled with more people pollution

I think you can apply most of these to pretty much any major metro area in the world...unfortunately...

A number of posts and quoted replies deleted.

Please see the following rule.

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

I hope the talk about upscale tourism is followed by a facelift that make it look upscale.

HAHAHAHA...have you not accepted that it's all talk only? Pattaya is in the process of redefining "luxury" so that even a 30sqm hole that overlooks noisy and decidedly down market Walking St with wafts of raw sewage smells can be sold to a Pattaya gentlemen as "affordable luxury". When we can't provide luxury, we might as well delude ourselves that there is luxury and "upscale-ness" everywhere in Pattaya. :)

• 1 year later...