Britons Close To Rioting At Thai Airport Hit By Red Shirt Mayhem

churchill

Chaotic scenes at Bangkok airport today were compared to “the last days of Saigon” as hundreds of exhausted Britons fought for seats on flights out of the Thai capital.

The Icelandic volcano eruption had already stranded 5,000 travellers at Suvarnabhumi international.

Then the grenade attack on city centre office workers and tourists yesterday, which left one dead and 79 injured, increased the air of panic with 350 Britons in huge queues at the check-in desks close to rioting.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office declared Bangkok a city to avoid except for essential travel and elevated it to the No 1 destination from which to repatriate British tourists.

Airline clerks fled in tears as tempers flared among 700 travellers, half of them British, who surged at check-ins yelling and waving “promissory notes” when the desks closed after letting through only a few passengers.

Their anger grew after learning that major non-European airlines — including national carrier Thai Airways — were not offering hotel accommodation or meals to people stranded. Hundreds of tourists, who could no longer afford accommodation after their holidays, were forced to sleep on cardboard mats in the airport basement.

But despite their anger at the airlines, most Britons praised airport staff for providing them with food, blankets — and even free Thai massage.

Dale Toyne, 39, who is travelling with Kate Surgay, 29, said: “I had my wallet and credit cards stolen in Cambodia and my passport stolen in Bangkok, so Kate is looking after me till we get back to Lincoln. We don't know when that will be. Nobody will tell us.”

Blast victim: an Australian man injured in the Bangkok city centre grenade attacks is carried away on a stretcher by army medics

Local government worker Neil Giannoni, 48, trying to get home to Jersey with wife Christine, a teacher, said: “Our cash is all spent and we've heard our wages may be docked for returning to work late.”

Fiona Small, 23, a nursery teacher and Melissa Cove,25, a nurse, both from London and travelling by Jet Airways, were struggling to get a sooner return date than May 7 until they called their travel agent who managed to book them on a flight on May 1 with their original tickets.

“It's absolutely crazy. None of the airlines seem to be getting together and offering seats. Nobody is giving anything away. They are just waiting for a seat to become available whenever and could not care less about the well being of their passengers,” said Ms Small.

Early today a lone British Embassy official was trying to placate passengers. Engineer Chris Trace, from Plymouth, said: “An official told me they think 375 people will get away today and hoped it won't be the same as last night, which was like the last days of Saigon.”

British Ambassador Quinton Quayle said: “We are urgently working with tour operators, airlines, and the Thai authorities to help British nationals to return to the UK as soon as possible.

“We have assisted in getting people access to medical care and advising them how to get funds transferred”.

There was an uneasy truce in Bangkok today after last night's blasts.

Red Shirt rebels, who are demanding elections and the resignation of prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, had a brief, early-morning confrontation with police then withdrew from their barricades of sharpened bamboo sticks.

The rebels deny carrying out the bombings, which the government has blamed on unnamed “terrorists”.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...shirt-mayhem.do

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just what Thailand needs, hundreds of whinging tourists :) .

I wonder if they were told to adorn a certain coloured shirt (are there any colours left). Were they armed with handclappers? Amazing Thailand.

Its the St George's day airport party. Only with the English its hard to tell the difference between that and a full on riot. :D

I wonder if they were told to adorn a certain coloured shirt (are there any colours left). Were they armed with handclappers? Amazing Thailand.

...and YOU are just what many of these threads need, Mr. Neverdie, to lighten things up a bit with your wit :D

Where is the opposing viewpoint.

Something like:

Eddie English smiled as he finished yet another iced Chang beer.

"I should have been back at work this week, digging holes in the M25, but my airline says I cannot go back till the 20th of June, that's another 8 weeks of bliss in Pattaya"

Hotel 350 baht a day, breakfast 50 baht, and beer 1500 baht a day, how can I complain.

Eddies empty bottle was quickly replaced with a new one, by his attractive Thai companion, who then resumed the gentle massaging of Eddies broad shoulders.

:)

I was going to come but have kept abreast of the colour war and decided to wait. A lot of people will not book 2 weeks before they fly as I do. Some people will have booked 12 months in advance and stand to lose everything so decide to chance it. What happens if you're on the 30 day limit and can't fly? Do you pay the 1000/day fines and send the paperwork to the airline?

People have been warned since early Feb. 2010 about possible problems and still they came why are they crying foul play now..........?

Nobody exept maybe a fortune teller from Sukhumvit, new in feb. about a coming vulcano eruption in Iceland!

Rather sensationalist title to this thread dont you think Mr Prime Minister..??

I don't think the PM would have a few spare mins to read TV. Too bad.

I wasnt referring to your hero.... :) ... I was referring to my hero..."We will fight them on the beaches........"....That PM

I wasnt referring to your hero.... :) ... I was referring to my hero..."We will fight them on the beaches........"....That PM

Typical behaviour by fellow Brits - red shirted Liverpool/Man U supporters eh???????

I wasnt referring to your hero.... :D ... I was referring to my hero..."We will fight them on the beaches........"....That PM

Typical behaviour by fellow Brits - red shirted Liverpool/Man U supporters eh???????

The BKK red shirts wouldnt last five minutes up against a crowd of rampaging scousers.... :)

:D :D

Its the St George's day airport party. Only with the English its hard to tell the difference between that and a full on riot. :D

:D :D :D

I wasnt referring to your hero.... :D ... I was referring to my hero..."We will fight them on the beaches........"....That PM

The BKK red shirts wouldnt last five minutes up against a crowd of rampaging scousers.... :)

Aye lad, CAAAAALM DOWN CAAAAALM DOWN :D

Having traveled extensively during my working career, most of my holidays were short trips from home. I was never burdened or blessed with a long family vacation anywhere. I used to watch the family's on long international flights and feel a little bit of awe that they could set out with the family with all the uncertainties there are in long distance travel. When a family is looking at a 1 to 2 week delay/change in their travel plans and all the other things that enter the equation, it has to be pushing the limit on patience, etc especially for those who live such orderly lives at home. As a single traveler, I used to approach this type of inconvenience as an adventure and see what could be done to work around it, but the majority of people we are hearing about are traveling with others.

If, as some have indicated, some airlines have increased fares, wont pay layover expense on connecting flights, etc then they should be brought to task immediately, with a stiff penalty. I am just glad I refused my family request to travel to Bangkok for the holidays, we all safe at home and back to the normal routine.

Weepy sissy mary backpackers and aging tourists crying at counters and whining to staff shoving each other around like big overweight babies with pacifiers on the ground. I sure am glad these idiots are getting out of the country asap.

Edited by wintermute

Being stuck in Thailand is way better than London or New York.

I suppose it depends on your perspective, whats the chance of getting blown up by a hand grenade in London or New york...?

Pretty remote, but I dare say that's what the unfortunate civilian victims of the bomb attacks on the public transport systems of London, Madrid and Moscow thought.

Let's not make out that major European cities are safe.

They are apparently putting the seat prices up to keep them free on the booking system so people can be moved into them when they ask.. According to BA anyway.

PR -" They are apparently putting the seat prices up " so that people who cannot afford to wait are forced to pay a higher price /

They are apparently putting the seat prices up to keep them free on the booking system so people can be moved into them when they ask.. According to BA anyway.

PR -" They are apparently putting the seat prices up " so that people who cannot afford to wait are forced to pay a higher price /

The claim is that they can bring people forward when they ask for it, not so they can actually sell them.

Only problem zone in Thailand are some parts of Bangkok. There is no reason to go home early. Be a little creative and enjoy your holidays at another place then Bangkok then.

However, if you have been stuck because of the Vulcano Ashes, then I do understand that you get a little nervous. But I am sure the Airlines are doing there best to get them out asap. There is a learning curve for everybody, and Airlines may have Scenarios ready for many Problems, but having a Volcano preventing them from flying over a long time together with the Problems we have in Bangkok may be a little too much for them too. Get real and learn that a Problem like this needs special effort not just from Airlines and Embassies but also from Travelers. We dont have to behave like a 5 year old who isnt getting his Lolly at the Supermarket.

Maybe the Brits should remember Dunkirchen, think they behaved better there then now at the Airport.

Edited by CHdiver