Rough Amount Of Money Needed Per Year

penbat

free beer at clubs? which ones?

are you stealing them off of the tables when someone goes to the loo?  :D  :D

Quite a few bars have a "buy one get one free" happy hour promo. Perhaps he just drinks the free one and gives the bought one back :o

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would any one drink beer?  you can drink sang som or moonshine if you need to be extra cost effective, i only drink beer when they are free at the clubs

free beer at clubs? which ones?

are you stealing them off of the tables when someone goes to the loo? :D:o

That's called "Mine-sweeping" :D

I can tell we are from the same background Udon :D

That seams to me a better kind of figures . A 2500 for a night out is not a small night . Go to a bar ... drink let's say 10 Singha/Chang and that will be between 700 and 900 bath , Am i right or not ??? After 10 Singha's , well my night is pretty well over ... euhm or just say it is over :o . I can imagine going to a place where they sell beer at 110 bath but that still would be 1100 bath . Let's say , you give 2 drinks for ladies or whatever ... That is still lower then 1500 bath including tips . I don't know how much you drink or how much free drinks you give or what you drink ( maybe tequila ??? ) but 2500 bath every other night means that's not just a night out on a normal basis . Just IMHO ...

I don't really know if I tipped generously, I have nothing to compare it to. 100 baht per drink seems pretty reasonable though, only about 1.35 pound and it's about 100 baht for the drinks... don't really know how much I did drink but I was always drunk, at the least. I was only there 6 nights and only out 4 nights I think, so I thought that was pretty reasonable, cheap if anything

That seams to me a better kind of figures . A

I don't really know if I tipped generously, I have nothing to compare it to. 100 baht per drink seems pretty reasonable though, only about 1.35 pound and it's about 100 baht for the drinks... don't really know how much I did drink but I was always drunk, at the least. I was only there 6 nights and only out 4 nights I think, so I thought that was pretty reasonable, cheap if anything

Ok , like you stated , that happened 4 out of the 6 nights you spend there . If you were living there , you cannot do it 2/3/4.... months in a row . You do that and you need A: large amount of cash a year , B : a new liver after a while , C : a rehab clinic after a couple of years . What i mean by that is , you don't live like that all the time . Sure you can do it , a couple of times a year , like holiday ... but after that you ease down again to normal behaviour and spending . 25000 bath a month let's you live with some fun and relaxing pratically all the year around . I'd say 10000/12000 on living , that is renting a house ( small , 1 bedroom , not BKK area ) , with electricity and water . That leaves you with 13 to 15000 bath a month on food and fun . When not going to restaurant but just buying goods you can eat more then enough for 200 bath a day ( you need more when you want to eat expensive stuff , i eat many veggies and fruit and a small amount of meat ) . 200 a day that makes , 6000 a month . That leaves you with 7000 to 9000 a month for drinking and fun . That is roughly , around 250 and 300 bath a day , every day . Let's say you don't go out , so thet drinks are from a shop ... drinking water , yes you need it ... 30 bath a day will be more then sufficient . So that is still more then 200 bath a day left on extra drinking and fun . Buy in shop your beer , let's say 3 a day , cost you roughly 100 bath . You saved 100 bath that day . So in one week , that is 700 bath ... you go out 1 time a week with couple of drinks ... 700 bath gone . That is 25000 a month ... rough calculation . You want more luxury , sure no problem but that way you need more money . Add a couple off 1000 for some more fun , 5000 will be sufficient i'd say .

Ok , like you stated , that happened 4 out of the 6 nights you spend there . If you were living there , you cannot do it 2/3/4.... months in a row . You do that and you need A: large amount of cash a year , B : a new liver after a while , C : a rehab clinic after a couple of years . What i mean by that is , you don't live like that all the time . Sure you can do it , a couple of times a year , like holiday ... but after that you ease down again to normal behaviour and spending . 25000 bath a month let's you live with some fun and relaxing pratically all the year around . I'd say 10000/12000 on living , that is renting a house ( small , 1 bedroom , not BKK area ) , with electricity and water . That leaves you with 13 to 15000 bath a month on food and fun . When not going to restaurant but just buying goods you can eat more then enough for 200 bath a day ( you need more when you want to eat expensive stuff , i eat many veggies and fruit and a small amount of meat ) . 200 a day that makes , 6000 a month . That leaves you with 7000 to 9000 a month for drinking and fun . That is roughly , around 250 and 300 bath a day , every day . Let's say you don't go out , so thet drinks are from a shop ... drinking water , yes you need it ... 30 bath a day will be more then sufficient . So that is still more then 200 bath a day left on extra drinking and fun . Buy in shop your beer , let's say 3 a day , cost you roughly 100 bath . You saved 100 bath that day . So in one week , that is 700 bath ... you go out 1 time a week with couple of drinks ... 700 bath gone . That is 25000 a month ... rough calculation . You want more luxury , sure no problem but that way you need more money . Add a couple off 1000 for some more fun , 5000 will be sufficient i'd say .

You seem to be spending an awful lot of BAHT everyday on BATHS :o

You seem to be spending an awful lot of BAHT everyday on BATHS :D

Haha! you think I could do this all year round? I struggled them 4 nights!! :o I was only sort of giving a comparison of how expensive it can be, and more to the point Cory suggests you could go out every other night, i.e 3/4 time per week and live on 2.5k per year which is not just alcohol budget, but your overall budget. I was just giving a comparison it would have cost me if I went out every other night, like I did when I was in Pattaya for that short time. I'm not at all suggesting that it would be physically possible, or that I wwould ever consider trying it. The 4 nights were abouts as much as I could handle, but good times :D

Can we agree that for a single guy you need a minimum of US$1000  a momth to live in Los? :o

with a house paid for and the car paid and insured that's the kind of figure i am working on, if the baht rate changes and things get more expensive then just have to work another year or two before living there.

lets hope things stay somewhere as they are now for a few years

I am a single male thinking of living maybe in Pattaya or Bangkok on a retirement visa. Very roughly how much money would I need to spend per year to live comfortably - the Thai equivalent of £5,000 English pounds maybe ?

£11,000 (= 800,000 baht) is more like it.

£11,000 per year is similar to the sort of money I would spend per year if I stayed in the UK !

There is some sort of contradiction here. I was under the impression that the Thai cost of living is about a third of the UK. So is the contradiction explained by the fact i could get much more entertainment and travel for the same money than the UK ?

There's 2 things here...

800,000 baht is what you need to show immigration is coming in each year in order to live in Thailand on a retirement visa. (unless you're married to a Thai, in which case it's just 400,000).

What sort of lifestyle would you have in the UK on £11K a year. - Answer, not much of one... If you ask the same people what they'd need to live well in retirement in the UK, especially renting a place to live in a tourist resort (not the cheapest places to live), I don't think they'd quote £11K a year....

Things like food, alcohol, haircuts, cinema, rent, petrol/diesel are generally a lot cheaper in Thailand than the UK. However, if you want to eat odd British things like Cornish Pasties, you'll pay more here. (although I will admit, the Cornish pasties from Yorkie's in Jomtien are very nice). The only truly cheap food in Thailand is Thai food. As soon as you start eating something else costs go up dramatically.

In the UK, your health costs are nil once you're retired. In Thailand, you have to either pay for insurance, or have enough money set aside to pay for a possible hospital stay (or a flight back to the UK).

Also - if you want to watch some TV in English, you'll probably want to get satellite here. (and what you get here on UBC for 2,000 baht a month wouldn't compare well with Freeview in the UK for the most part - let alone what you can get on a Sky dish).

Finally - the other big expense here is your electricity bill. Unlike people born here, you're not used to the heat. Most people run air-conditioners, at least overnight so they can sleep. Although, in the UK, you would have a heating bill of some sort - but I don't think you have to worry about that here...

Getting a car in Thailand is expensive because of taxes... - running one is surprisingly cheap (no monstrous gouging of people with taxes on petrol and diesel like you get in the UK), and servicing costs here are a lot cheaper than the UK (although again that's not difficult).

Of course you can live on less - a normal Thai salary is only about 15-20K baht a month. (say £3-4K a year). But they have family to help out if there are problems, and they eat rice EVERY meal... They can borrow money from banks, get car loans, and if they don't have the money for a private hospital, they can get cheaper cover at the state hospitals. If you truly want to live like a Thai, then you can get by easily enough on the £5K a year you quoted, but Pattaya isn't the place to go to live like a Thai....

Rather than starting up a new thread...

When in Thailand i'll be spending around $250 a week. I'll be staying with my sister who will be taking care of our hotel bills, (we'll be sharing) we should be able to get a reasonable decent room with 2 beds for $120 a week?

Anyway, for $250 a week would i be able to have a reasonable good time overthere. including but not limited too: hookers, some clothes, motobike rental, food, going out money, and thai whiskey.

Edited by Hutchenson

• 1 month later...

I don't really know if I tipped generously, I have nothing to compare it to.  100 baht per drink seems pretty reasonable though, only about 1.35 pound and it's about 100 baht for the drinks...What´s wrong with THREE liters for a hundred?

If I spent Five hundred on a night I was inviting half the bar... But that was in Kan, though.

25000 bath a month ...... 13 to 15000 bath 200 bath a day 250 and 300 bath a day , every day .and the bath goes on and on and on... Thanks for sharing your budget insights.

You seem to be spending an awful lot of BAHT everyday on BATHS :D

:o Less BATHS mor BARS :D

1.2 million should scrape you buy with an adequate lifestyle. I would not live here on under a million; no way no how

What? In Japanese YEN?

Can we agree that for a single guy you need a minimum of US$1000  a momth to live in Los? :D

NO!

okay maybe in BKK.