So Called English Bacon

gennisis

I know there have been many, many posts regarding "English "style bacon.

Recently many posters have praised highly the Bacon from "Sausage King" here in Chiang Mai....dry cured and the best they say.

So.... at Rimping I bought some of the Dry Cured English Bacon ...........Disapointing to say the least....in my opinion.

Firstly...if it is truely dry cured..ie..cured simply by coating and rubbing in a salt mixture....why, when I fried it ,did I get the white/gray liquid ouzing out??...that is common with a wet cure?? There was also liquid in the package,

Secondly..... a typical English cure would be salts,sugar and some spice....not difficult to obtain I would have thought...yet dispite all the claims ,this bacon just did not taste anything like I get at home in UK or from Danish Bacon even.

I will say that this bacon was probably as good as I have had here...which doesnt say much for all the other brands,,,of which I think I have tried all of them that are available here in CM.. The Canadian Bacon from TGM has a nice taste,but ,like many,is sliced too thin.

I am now guessing that the producers are not allowing the cure to work for a long enough time...a longer cure will reduce the original weight and therefore increase the selling price.... it will also "firm up" the texture and not drip liquid,,,,but, if there are others who realy pine for the authentic taste I would have thought that a premium product would sell well.

So..Rant over...guess I will just have to try curing myself,and then I will have the problem of slicing it to get the right rasher thickness....such is life!!

I prefer American bacon because that is what I grew up on, but I have tried some excellent British bacon a few times (I have only had it in Thailand). I have a feeling that there is some really tasty stuff in the UK.

Yeah they normally call it "Danish", the British bacon I mean. :)

I prefer American bacon because that is what I grew up on, but I have tried some excellent British bacon a few times (I have only had it in Thailand). I have a feeling that there is some really tasty stuff in the UK.

Decent British bacon should come with a bit of rind to chew on....delicious!

Should you ever visit the UK Ulysses G here's what to look out for..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/fo...-breakfast.html

:D

The one contact I have had with an English breakfast with Bacon was in London...when my flight was delayed and I stayed overnight at a bed and breakfast there. Breakfast was:

A bowl of stale corn flkes and warm milk. No sugar.

Bacon and eggs. Eggs hard-fried, yolks broken. (I like them runny).

Bacon (if it was English bacon it looked remarkeldy like the Bacon I was used to in the U.S.) Practically uncooked, the fat was still a white color, which I considered to be practically raw.

Stale bread, and butter that was close to being rancid. A small packet of what was supposedly jam.

So-called sausages, that had more sawdust in them than meat, fried to black and squashed down until they were practically flat.

I asked for the Bacon to be cooked more, and recieved the response of the waiter yelling to the kitchen,"Burn some bloody Bacon for the Yank".

Needless to say, it wan't one of the better meals I have ever had in my life.

But, to be fair, I did find the "Yank" comment by the waiter amusing.

:)

The one contact I have had with an English breakfast with Bacon was in London...when my flight was delayed and I stayed overnight at a bed and breakfast there. Breakfast was:

Bacon (if it was English bacon it looked remarkeldy like the Bacon I was used to in the U.S.) Practically uncooked, the fat was still a white color, which I considered to be practically raw.

Stale bread, and butter that was close to being rancid. A small packet of what was supposedly jam.

So-called sausages, that had more sawdust in them than meat, fried to black and squashed down until they were practically flat.

I asked for the Bacon to be cooked more, and recieved the response of the waiter yelling to the kitchen,"Burn some bloody Bacon for the Yank".

Guess you didnt stay at the Savoy then.

How do you make dry cured bacon? I haven't had it for quite sometime and being able to make the bacon myself is a boon.

Best regards,

Roy

Relatively easy. You need the salts, spices etc (many recipes to choose from on the web). You rub the cure into the meat, stick it into a plastic ziplock bag and then the fridge, turn the bag daily and after about a week cure is done. Only issue is sourcing some of the ingredients if you are upcountry.

Isaanaussie

Are you sure that you did not stay at Faulty Towers? :)

How do you make dry cured bacon? I haven't had it for quite sometime and being able to make the bacon myself is a boon.

Best regards,

Roy

Relatively easy. You need the salts, spices etc (many recipes to choose from on the web). You rub the cure into the meat, stick it into a plastic ziplock bag and then the fridge, turn the bag daily and after about a week cure is done. Only issue is sourcing some of the ingredients if you are upcountry.

Isaanaussie

Thanks.

Guess you didnt stay at the Savoy then.

Virtually every 4-5 star hotel in the UK now offers a buffet style breakfast. Its great for the kids of course. They can play frisbee with the fried eggs while you chew on cold bacon and overcooked sausages. All washed down with putrid coffee.

As for B&B's I haven't eaten in these places since a particularly bad experience in '91. Sounds like the same place too. At least they're consistent. :D

i tell you what!

one of these days when i go back to the u.k. and any of you guys are in and around the capital london. i will take you for a stroll around my old hunting ground and work place "smithfiled meat market"

have to be up around 4 a.m. though, but it will give you a wright appetite for a good old english fry up.

often thought about trying to start up some sort of import business bringing in proper bacon and english sausages. seems to be already quite a few expats having a go at it though.

doesnt quite seem the same as what you get back home, or it sure looks that way from what most ex-pats have to say.

i tell you what!

one of these days when i go back to the u.k. and any of you guys are in and around the capital london. i will take you for a stroll around my old hunting ground and work place "smithfiled meat market"

have to be up around 4 a.m. though, but it will give you a wright appetite for a good old english fry up.

often thought about trying to start up some sort of import business bringing in proper bacon and english sausages. seems to be already quite a few expats having a go at it though.

doesnt quite seem the same as what you get back home, or it sure looks that way from what most ex-pats have to say.

These days you want to forget Smithfield and get down to Borough Market. Fantastic bacon and sausages there. And a great family run cafe a 10 min walk away does a superb full breakfast for a fiver. :)

i tell you what!

These days you want to forget Smithfield and get down to Borough Market. Fantastic bacon and sausages there. And a great family run cafe a 10 min walk away does a superb full breakfast for a fiver. :)

i get what your saying smokie.

one of the problems with smithfield when talking to a couple of mates on my last visit back to the u.k. is that the powers that be are trying their damdest to make life difficult for the traders. that with the fact that they get hit with having to pay the daily rate for driving in the capital when they leave work doesnt help. they are sure theres some big fat investors waiting in the wings to by the land the site is on. as soon as someone in the know gives them the go ahead to lines his or her pockets in the process.

what they are forgetting though is that the markets been around for hundreds of years and is part of our heritage in london. its part of what makes the place special, to see some of the barrow boys that have been working there since they left school at a young age. they add to the character of the place. peolpes livelyhoods and family business depend on it. wouldnt change it for the world! the amount of times ive been caught round the mush at 3 a.m, on a monday morning with a pig, cow or lamb carcase by one of your lot(spurs fan) rigging me about the results over the weekend.

they have done a good thing with borough market and rejuvenated it, but its gone all lardy dar know and full of tourists. a bit like what they have done with good old camden town market on a saturdays and sundays.

Edited by tigerfish

post-62645-1272817646_thumb.jpgBack to Western Food in Thailand:-

I get some very tasty Wiltshire Bacon from Asia West Foods in Bangkok. Decent thickness of meat with a bit of fat for those who like their rind.

Edited by Chaimai

i get what your saying smokie.

one of the problems with smithfield when talking to a couple of mates on my last visit back to the u.k. is that the powers that be are trying their damdest to make life difficult for the traders. that with the fact that they get hit with having to pay the daily rate for driving in the capital when they leave work doesnt help. they are sure theres some big fat investors waiting in the wings to by the land the site is on. as soon as someone in the know gives them the go ahead to lines his or her pockets in the process.

what they are forgetting though is that the markets been around for hundreds of years and is part of our heritage in london. its part of what makes the place special, to see some of the barrow boys that have been working there since they left school at a young age. they add to the character of the place. peolpes livelyhoods and family business depend on it. wouldnt change it for the world! the amount of times ive been caught round the mush at 3 a.m, on a monday morning with a pig, cow or lamb carcase by one of your lot(spurs fan) rigging me about the results over the weekend.

they have done a good thing with borough market and rejuvenated it, but its gone all lardy dar know and full of tourists. a bit like what they have done with good old camden town market on a saturdays and sundays.

Very true. When I first moved to the Borough in the early 90's I used to walk my dog past the market every day and there were only 3 fruit and veg stalls left. The place was close to dying and the market there had been around for donkeys years.

Its certainly gone the other way now and is full of ponces but still has some great grub. I make sure I get what I want and leave by 10am.

I've been to Smithfield many times having worked at Barts for a few years and the place was always great fun and had a real vibe to it. I doubt that's changed but they need to adapt and learn from what's been done over the water imho. :)

Edit: Sorry for going way off topic.

Edited by smokie36

I get some very tasty Wiltshire Bacon from Asia West Foods in Bangkok. Decent thickness of meat with a bit of fat for those who like their rind.

Looks delicious! Where can I get some next time I'm in Bangkok?

Edited by smokie36

Sorry smokie, this one was served up in Buriram.

I am sure if you check out Asia West website they will have information on outlets they supply (or call Matt)

I am sure if you check out Asia West website they will have information on outlets they supply (or call Matt)

the banger doesnt half look bad either, chaimai.

where did you get that one from?

i must say you look a better man than i, for the amount you put on your plate. i have to go the full works if im at the healm in the kitchen.

btw while we are on the subject.

do your better halfs like a fry up. my misses loves one.

i must say you look a better man than i, for the amount you put on your plate. i have to go the full works if im at the healm in the kitchen.

:) Most women are hopeless when it comes to cooking a fried breakfast but I've yet to meet a lassie who didn't enjoy one!

That was our small breakfast, The standard is:-

post-62645-1272819999_thumb.jpg

The smoked back bacon produced by a firm called Dan Products is top quality. Just like you would buy in the UK. You can specify thick or thin cut also.

As I understand it, the firm that produces it is owned and operated by a Danish expat. It is based in Amphur Phukieo in Chaiyaphum province. I think its a new firm and supplies mainly commercial businesses, like hotels and resorts and restaurants. It targets the ex-pat community.

They also do a range of hams. I've tried the bacon but not the ham.

Their email is [email protected]

You might want to have a look at:

http://horecasupply.com/

You can sign-in as a guest.

I have used them for a number of years and I find the selection of bacon, sausages and other meat products excellent. If you like the 'Classic English Banger' they produce a really great old-style porker with string around either end!