Re Newing A Uk Passport By Sending It To Hong Kong

After reading about ....

New arrangements for British passport services overseas

Starting in March, UK passport applications in Thailand are to be processed in Hong Kong

I was just wondering if any one had all ready managed to re new their UK passport by sending it to

Hong Kong, and if so how did things work out .

Thanks

When you are getting a new passport. It is best for you to not send it directly. Take it to the british embassy. They send all the passports themselves to HK where the passport is processed and then sent back to the embassy where you can collect. I think there was also the option of having them send the passport back directly to your home.

There is a small cost of the sending to HK by the embasy but no different really than doing it yourself.

I would think that having an official receipt from the UK Embassy in Bangkok (as to your application for a new UK passport) would be an important document to have during the time you are in the Kingdom of Thailand without your hard-copy passport. Such would not be the case if you mailed it to Hong Kong directly yourself.

Edited by jazzbo

Passport was stolen in Kon Khaen on Friday 16th of April so I had to go through the new passport application rules. I made a police report at my local police station and then applied in person at the UK embassy on Monday 19th of April.

After paying the fee I was give a DHL receipt (they send all pasports by DHL to the Hong Kong UK embassy) and I was able to track my passport on the internet via the DHL tracking system.

My new passport arrived on the 23rd of April at 10 am and I then rushed to Chaeng Wattana in order to transfer old visa details into my new passport. I was treated really well this time at immigration and my old visa details were entered into my new passport within onw hour. As my visa expired the same day I was able to extend for an extra month for 1900 Baht

Have to say a big thank you to the British Embassy in Bangkok. Expensive service but super super efficient,

Macanello

You dont send your passport to HK - only a photocopy

That is indeed correct, and it's been covered on this forum a couple of times already.

A reminder for those about to renew

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ssport-renewals

Of course with a lost passport you still have to go to the embassy, the treatment "macanallo" received is indeed good news.

You dont send your passport to HK - only a photocopy

That is indeed correct, and it's been covered on this forum a couple of times already.

A reminder for those about to renew

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ssport-renewals

Of course with a lost passport you still have to go to the embassy, the treatment "macanallo" received is indeed good news.

Thanks for that , still hoping to hear from some one who has recently done it :)

The person wanting a New passport does not send the documents to Hong Kong, they go to the Embassy in Bangkok, who will check it and then send it to Hong Kong for the passport holder.

EDIT- just read the website, apologies I am wrong, you can send directly to HK.

However just noted that: You have to pay by Credit Card (as a farang in Thailand I do not have one), or a Bankers draft in HK Dollars, which costs me extra money.

Why can I not pay at the Embassy and get a receipt for it?

Edited by beano2274

The person wanting a New passport does not send the documents to Hong Kong, they go to the Embassy in Bangkok, who will check it and then send it to Hong Kong for the passport holder.

You can do either, you can send the application form with a photocopy of the passport directly to Hong Kong yourself or you can take the application to the Embassy in Bangkok, they will check and send it on your behalf. Either way you still have to pay for the form to be couriered to Hong Kong and the new passport to be couriered back.

You can do either, you can send the application form with a photocopy of the passport directly to Hong Kong yourself or you can take the application to the Embassy in Bangkok, they will check and send it on your behalf. Either way you still have to pay for the form to be couriered to Hong Kong and the new passport to be couriered back.

Thanks, but if I send it, then I need a Credit Card, which I do not have, live here and have a yellow book, but not allowed to have a Credit Card. A bankers draft in HK Dollars might be impossible to get in the countryside, so for many a trip to the Embassy will still be required.

Thanks, but if I send it, then I need a Credit Card, which I do not have, live here and have a yellow book, but not allowed to have a Credit Card. A bankers draft in HK Dollars might be impossible to get in the countryside, so for many a trip to the Embassy will still be required.

A fair point, but I suppose it's what's more convienient, a visit to Bangkok or a visit to a bank that can give you a draft in HK Dollars.

I think they call it progress.

Had a minor hiccup out here in the wilderness where the new Immigration Office in Udon Thani refused to recognize a new HK issued UK passport even with receipts. The guy stood his ground and after some time they place a call to Bangkok and was told it was OK. Ya gotta wonder!

Had a minor hiccup out here in the wilderness where the new Immigration Office in Udon Thani refused to recognize a new HK issued UK passport even with receipts. The guy stood his ground and after some time they place a call to Bangkok and was told it was OK. Ya gotta wonder!

Are the passports any different or was just the fact it was issued in HK that threw them?

Or that the UK has not supplied the normal letter asking for information to be transferred?

Is that a requirement or something done at the whim of the IO?

I was thinking of renewing my passport in the UK, where it is considerably cheaper, using my re-entry permit in my full passport to return and then get the extension and re-entry permit transferred, do you think that I am I setting myself up for problems?

It is a normal and stated requirement for transfer of immigration stamps into a new passport. US Embassy has always provided (along with instructions) and believe most others; but for some reason UK has not (although there is a recent report of them providing a "to whom it may concern") which was rejected by Immigration.

I was asked to just produce a receipt when I went to Nong Khai immigration with my new Aust. passport, no mention about the Embassy? All I had was a EFTPOS printout from the post office where I applied for the new passport in Perth. This was accepted OK and the stamps transferred, took up the 1st 3 pages that jerked me off a bit.

It’s been stated on this thread that it’s not necessary to send your old passport when applying for a new one in HK.

However, On the Passport documents link on http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...sport-documents

It states,

Renewing your passport or changing information in your passport

If you are applying to renew your passport or change information in it, in addition to the documents, you must also provide:

• your current passport or

• your old passport - the passport that has expired.

So which is correct, who has done what?

It’s been stated on this thread that it’s not necessary to send your old passport when applying for a new one in HK.

However, On the Passport documents link on http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...sport-documents

It states,

If you are applying to renew your passport or change information in it, in addition to the documents, you must also provide:

Also on the notes for form C1 http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/resources...s/form-c1-notes

It states near the base of the page on the left,

PREVIOUS PASSPORT

When you apply for a new passport you must surrender any previous British passport.

So now I’m totally confused!

The information you have linked to and quoted from seems to apply to those renewing their passports in the UK or direct to Hong Kong*; not to those applying via the Bangkok embassy.

From the link provided to you earlier in another thread

In addition to your completed application form, photos and fee, you will need to submit a clear photocopy of the data page of your previous passport. The passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use from the moment you submit your application. On receipt of your new passport you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the photo page and the front and back covers. Failure to do so may leave your replaced passport open to abuse. Alternatively you should visit the British Embassy to have your replaced passport physically cancelled.

It seems quite clear from this that you keep your old passport until you receive the new one from Hong Kong.

*Edit;

This should read "direct to Hong Kong and are in Hong Kong" as per the OG's post below.

Edited by 7by7

Correct me if I'm wrong. It is illegal to to send any passport overseas from Thailand. If you need to renew a passport you must go threw your embassy in your host country (Thailand). This is Thai law.

It's been stated on this thread that it's not necessary to send your old passport when applying for a new one in HK.

It states,

The information in the link I provided is the correct one as it specifically applies for those applying from Thailand, the link you provided is for those applying in Hong Kong and are actually in Hong Kong.

The procedures are different for those applying from Thailand because if the "legal requirement" to carry your passport at all time whilst in Thailand.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It is illegal to to send any passport overseas from Thailand. If you need to renew a passport you must go threw your embassy in your host country (Thailand). This is Thai law.

Applicants don't send their passport overseas; they retain it until the new one is received; as per the quote in my last post.

Not sure that it's against the law as certainly the UK Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong requires residents of countries other than Thailand to send the passports being renewed to Hong Hong. As I said earlier the arrangements for those applying from Thailand to just send a copy only applies because of the reason I have mentioned.

You are not allowed to send you passport to the UK, where replacement passports are considerably cheaper, "for security reasons" but you can send to Hong Kong, so work that one out.

You are not allowed to send you passport to the UK, where replacement passports are considerably cheaper, "for security reasons" but you can send to Hong Kong, so work that one out.

That's an easy one! As you say it's because they get 65% more money from us when we apply from over here! :)

The procedures are different for those applying from Thailand because if the "legal requirement" to carry your passport at all time whilst in Thailand.

Actually, there is no legal requirement to carry your passport with you at all times whilst in Thailand, and this has been covered previously on the forum. The only requirement is to be able to produce your passport within a reasonable time if requested. That is normally an hour or two, and the police may accompany you to your home to get it. It is always adviseable to carry a copy of passport or Thai driving licence with you, as will often suffice in police check.

I have an email from the embassy confirming that you do not send your old passport to HK, only a photocopy, as per the statement on the website. So it seems there is no doubt about that.

No that is not Thai law and you can mail your passport out of Thailand if you need a visa for a country not represented here. The only rule is that if you are in Thailand you can not mail your passport out to obtain a Thai visa (it will not be honored - you will not go to jail).

Actually, there is no legal requirement to carry your passport with you at all times whilst in Thailand, and this has been covered previously on the forum. The only requirement is to be able to produce your passport within a reasonable time if requested. That is normally an hour or two, and the police may accompany you to your home to get it. It is always adviseable to carry a copy of passport or Thai driving licence with you, as will often suffice in police check.

100% correct never travel with my passport hotels police very happy to accept Thai driving licence.

What amazes me how expensive our uk visas are compared to other countries also the don’t care attitude of the Brit Embassy.

My friend a US citizen approx 3k baht can add pages, can book appointments’ so no standing in queues begin queue jumped by Thais.

Gets promote replies from his embassy to e-mails & phone calls.

We seem to pay an awful lot for not a very good service

Edited by paulmw

Just had my new passport from Hong Kong in Sisaket.Sent photo copy of Details with last page showing it was full with 2 photos & debit card details from Website. Sent it by ordinary post, cost 32 baht. Arr back last Monday via DHL total cost in HK Dollars £137. Says issued by FCO not Kong Kong. Have to visit immigration Thursday to get Loas visa transferred then onto Border for 60day stamp so hope no problems, will let you know now. Embassy says my old passport now viod so cut corners off yourself. Hope this is helpful??