Nlink Wifi Router From Truemove

schmutzie

We're received a 1-port "nlink" branded WiFi router to go with our True Premium Pack 4mbit/1mbit.

I can not get this to work with multiple devices concurrently - only one device is able to connect at a time.

NOTE: We've had this working without any changes to the clients (all Mac/Apple brand BTW) before on a

True setup using a Zyxel router.

After the delivery guys failure to setup the device I had a long chat with True Customer Services.

They advised me to change the security settings to WPA using Pre-Shared Key and IIRC one or two

other things. That got the WIFi working alright, but only for one device at a time.

I then called today, and was advised to try WPA(TKIP) and to change the authentication mode

to "Open Systems". Still no joy. Whenever a second device tries to join the network, both that

and the originally connected device bomb out. Eventually the first device reconnects once any other

device stops its attempts at creating a connection.

Here are the current settings:

Wireless Enabled

Band 802.11 b+g

Mode AP

Broadcast SSID Enabled

root

Status Enabled

SSID XXXXXXXX

Authentication Mode Open System

Encrypt Mode WPA (TKIP)

WPA Authentication Mode Personal(Pre-Shared Key)

Pre-Shared Key Format Passphrase

Pre-Shared Key XXXXXXXX

Also, this router seems to be limited to 896kbps upstream.

Call me pedantic, but I paid for speeds of upto 1024kbps or 1mbit.

Why did they provide me with a router that's not spec'ed for that...

This should not be painful and feeling slightly embarrassed as I'm supposed to know

a little about things like this.

Scrap that. Just switched to WPA2(AES) on the router and all seems good now.

Funky.

BTW, True Customer Services whilst not being able to solve my problem (after all they're clearly just using troubleshooting diagrams)

were pretty good throughout and I've cancelled the technician they booked to come out tomorrow.

Edited by schmutzie

Wow, thanks for posting this.

I have been wrestling with the same problem today. It's been quite frustrating. But your solution seems to have worked!

Any idea why?

Sorry, no idea right now, but it was sort of the last option left.

Do you have any idea why it's clamped at 896kbps upstream?

Wow, thanks for posting this.

I have been wrestling with the same problem today. It's been quite frustrating. But your solution seems to have worked!

Any idea why?

Sorry, no idea right now, but it was sort of the last option left.

Do you have any idea why it's clamped at 896kbps upstream?

That would be a no :). But if you figure out how to get the full 1mb upload speed, please pm me.

And after your fix, the wifi has been very nice in my place. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

You upstream is negotiated between the modem and the DSLAM you connect to. It's speed is determined by your line quality. If True use ®ADSL then you may find it will go up to 1024 on good days. Compair with my SNR - this may be an indication.

DSL mode G.Dmt ADSL2 ADSL2+

DSL Status ADSL2+ AnnexM, SHOWTIME.L0

Upstream Speed 1195 kbps (Interleave)

Downstream Speed 5895 kbps (Interleave)

Upstream SNR 12.0dB

Downstream SNR 29.6dB

Any Idea how to configure a static IP address on this router (nlink) ?

Check in the DHCP section of the router, i think there are reservations based on device MAC address. OR you could do as i do and stattically assign IP's to your devices.

I actually think it's a limitation on the hardware/ router side. I checked the spec for the router and iirc it stated this as the upload limit. I haven't got the link right now.

I have the same nlink router true give ad you. These things can go up to 16mbit.

I actually think it's a limitation on the hardware/ router side. I checked the spec for the router and iirc it stated this as the upload limit. I haven't got the link right now.

I have the same nlink router true give ad you. These things can go up to 16mbit.

I think you're confusing downstream and upstream rates.

I'm still trying to find the link that had the spec sheet. It's difficult because I think it's basically a rebranded product. Prob Zyxel.

ADSL 2+ support should enable the router to go up to 1024kbps upstream and supposedly the True network support this.

Still digging...

• 1 month later...

I would laso like to be able to configure a static IP address on this nlink router.

For port forwarding.

For use with torrent downloading.

The website portforward.com has yet to include the nlink routers to its database.

I got one of these today, too.

It basically sucks.

The firmware true pre-load is easy to use in that it helps you activate a new account via self-service (if the router is unconfigured and plugged into a TrueOnline DSL-enabled phone line it will take you to a sandboxed web-environment where you create your new TrueOnline username.).

But one thing it does that truly sucks is everytime a device with a new MAC address connects, the router hijacks your first DNS request and sends you to a true portal page. They confirmed that this feature is part of their firmware and cant be disabled.

So I started hunting for plain vanilla firmware hoping it's just a re-branded ZyXel or Billion.

I checked the nlink n100W's MAC address in the MAC address vendor database and it seems it's not a ZyXel or Billion :( but some really dodgy crap thing made by these guys:

http://www.twsz.com/

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I also got this Nlink routeur and it disturbs me a bit.

I would like to open some ports in order to play Age of Empire 3 . Following ports are needed for AoE3:

64520 UDP

28800-28805 TCP (this is a range of ports, if you can only forward one port at a time, without setting up a range of ports, forward at least 2-3 of them if you have enough room [you can forward only limited number of ports usually])

6073 UDP

2300-2400 TCP

2300-2400 UDP

I go on 192.168.1.1 then ADVANCE/FIREWALL. I think it is the place to configure ports but I am a bit lost : the menu is strange. Can someone explain to me how to configure ports please ? :)

Thank you.

Regarding port forwarding and static IP address, just follow the instruction you see on portforward.com, even if you can't find the precise model of your router/modem just try to locate the same thing on the menu of your specific machine, they also advise you on how to setup a static IP address, you can also dowload this tool here: www.simpleportforwarding.com note that i didn't try this yet but look promising ;)

I did a TRUE install recently using the N-Link ADSL modem/1 port ethernet/WiFi model, and experienced no problems.

Recent line stats:

DSL VPI/VCI: 0/100

DSL Status: Showtime

DSL Mode: ADSL2+

DSL Channel: 64

DSL Upstream Rate: 1200000

DSL Downstream Rate: 11775951

so no upstream limitations.

TRUE have several service bulletins on this router, including WiFi and firmware:

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_type=1&document_id=219

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_type=1&document_id=185

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_type=1&document_id=241

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_type=1&document_id=212

http://support2.truecorp.co.th/detail.aspx?document_type=1&document_id=215

Port forwarding is done in the Virtual Server section of the UI. This link has some details but you may be able to Google better instructions? Some users (in Thai forums) feel this router does not have enough horsepower (memory, processing) to handle heavy torrent loads and suffer poor performance. To date I have not seen this first hand but I installed this for someone else so no daily use. No issues so far either. I think TRUE might give out the D-Link unit now so maybe try to swap, or purchase your own model. Most units are 2,000 baht or less, and you get 4-ports.

I think TRUE might give out the D-Link Zyxel unit now so maybe try to swap, or purchase your own model. Most units are 2,000 baht or less, and you get 4-ports.

Sorry for the mistake; installing too many different modems these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I would laso like to be able to configure a static IP address on this nlink router.

For port forwarding.

For use with torrent downloading.

The website portforward.com has yet to include the nlink routers to its database.

I got one of these today, too.

It basically sucks.

The firmware true pre-load is easy to use in that it helps you activate a new account via self-service (if the router is unconfigured and plugged into a TrueOnline DSL-enabled phone line it will take you to a sandboxed web-environment where you create your new TrueOnline username.).

But one thing it does that truly sucks is everytime a device with a new MAC address connects, the router hijacks your first DNS request and sends you to a true portal page. They confirmed that this feature is part of their firmware and cant be disabled.

So I started hunting for plain vanilla firmware hoping it's just a re-branded ZyXel or Billion.

I checked the nlink n100W's MAC address in the MAC address vendor database and it seems it's not a ZyXel or Billion :( but some really dodgy crap thing made by these guys:

http://www.twsz.com/

Maybe if enough of us complain they can make an option in new firmware to disable it. That way all the normal mortals still get blasted with landing page propaganda but we nerds can remain happy without it.

• 11 months later...

Hey, guys. I too have an nlink router (1 port wifi v.2). My desktop PC (without a wireless modem) is connected to it via a LAN cable, and of course the router receives ADSL via phone line. And, here's what I'm wondering. If I were to take both the PC and nlink router to a different location where they have Wi-fi signal (Internet access point), can I use the router as a wireless modem for the PC? Again, the PC does not have an internal wireless modem. Thanks for your reply in advance. Have a great day.

• 5 months later...

Static mac/ip address work around: There is a bug in this router. If you try to define a dhcp static mac to ip address mapping (LAN->DHCP), it complains about the ip is not within the pool range. To fix this, change the pool size, reboot, and then add your mapping. The default settings for the pool are to start at 192.168.1.33 and then it allows 34 addresses from this address (why?). The code for checking the pool is wrong. Change the pool to start at 192.168.1.2 (.1 is assigned to the router/def gateway) and set the pool size to 250 (or 253 since I think .255 can't be used; heck 250 should be enough!).

Torrent client setup: http://www.thaivisa....-not-forwarding

I only had to setup the port forward and then the mac address fix above. Now have a green light on qbtorrent (Linux torrent client). :) Looks like True have disabled uPnP since there are no settings for it (uPnP is the protocol your torrent client uses to setup the port forward automatically).

Hope this helps. PS: Router is pretty good hardware wise; its let down by poor software, but on the whole is pretty reliable and fast.

Edited by MaiChai