Qatar Airways Baggage Allowance

cat5

I have a standard-class return ticket booked with qatar airways and am wondering if there is any flexibility with baggage allowances. Official policy 20 kg checked + 7 kg (one piece) carry on. Presumably they allow notebooks to be carried on in addition to this allowance (in my experience other airlines do) but can anyone confirm?

I've flown with them many times,you will probably get away with 23 kg's and they do allow a laptop in addition to your normal carry on.

If you join their rewards/frequent flyer program then they give you additional weight limits.

Check out their website.

Thanks for the replies, guys. This is the first time I've flown with them and I don't expect to be making many more trips to/from Thailand as I've decided to move elsewhere. However, I will take another look at their website.

IME Qatar are a bit 'keen' on their allowances, I'd only risk 2-3 kgs overweight on the hold-luggage, if I were you, and they often weigh the carry-ons at the Check-In counter. Definitely not as 'forgiving' as Thai ! :)

Their Qmiles frequent-flyer cards give you extra hold-allowance, 10 kgs on 'Burgundy' and 15 kgs on 'Silver', the latter lets you check-in at the Business-class counter, to avoid the queues for Economy. :D

I tend to wear shorts and a jacket, with plenty of pockets, for a few books or anything-else heavy. And buy sweets, on the return-trip, in Duty-Free so that they're in a Duty-Free bag (hint) when you reach the Gate.

Lastly I see that a very few airlines seem to be introducing a standard 30 kgs hold-allowance in Economy, next time check-out Emirates' fares, I think Oman Air might also have done this ? An encouraging sign for the future !

Have a good trip !

Check their Website, if you have a frequent Flyer card some airlines give you extra I know TG give you an extra 20 KG's when you move from standard to silver membership.

Unless it is a new rule 20 kgs are given to Gold status not silver (at least that is what I was given)

Silver is 10

IME Qatar are a bit 'keen' on their allowances, I'd only risk 2-3 kgs overweight on the hold-luggage, if I were you, and they often weigh the carry-ons at the Check-In counter. Definitely not as 'forgiving' as Thai ! :)

Their Qmiles frequent-flyer cards give you extra hold-allowance, 10 kgs on 'Burgundy' and 15 kgs on 'Silver', the latter lets you check-in at the Business-class counter, to avoid the queues for Economy. :D

I tend to wear shorts and a jacket, with plenty of pockets, for a few books or anything-else heavy. And buy sweets, on the return-trip, in Duty-Free so that they're in a Duty-Free bag (hint) when you reach the Gate.

Lastly I see that a very few airlines seem to be introducing a standard 30 kgs hold-allowance in Economy, next time check-out Emirates' fares, I think Oman Air might also have done this ? An encouraging sign for the future !

Have a good trip !

Sure, you get an extra 10 kg. if you're on Burgundy. I joined their FF plan when I flew with them two years ago and went to the check in with a case weighing 29 kg. I had to pay around 150 GBP excess. The Burgundy doesn't come into force until you've flown twice UK-BKK return. I was miffed as I was also an Emirates FF 'er, and would have got 30 kg. free with them. I went for a cheaper flight with Qatar and regretted it.

I feel your pain, as I got 'hit' for a hundred quid excess, the first time I flew with Qatar myself. :D

I used to fly BKK-UK-BKK twice per year, which kept me on Silver (at 160 'qmiles'), with 15 kgs extra. Last year I only flew once, so my new 2010-card dropped me back to Burgundy, which definitely still gets me an extra 10 kgs.

I'm not surprised that there might be an introductory period, when you fly with them, before the frequent-flyer benefits kick-in, but as I read their rules (you need the brain of a lawyer or an actuary IMO) you might well get the extra kgs after your first return-flight, which should have earned you 80 'qmiles', provided you were credited with them at check-in (another minor but regular problem with QR).

I took the flight and got through with no problems. My checked luggage weighed 20.7 kg (fractionally over the limit) and they didn't weigh my carry on luggage which included a box (slightly oversize) which I weighed as about 9 kg, a laptop and accessories (probably about 6 kg) and a small shoulder bag that looked small and light but was heavy (probably another 3 kg).

The flight was okay but waiting four hours at Doha a bit of a drag! Service provided by the flight attendants was basic but acceptable for an economy flight.