What's Your Favorite Supermarket... And Why?

Michaelaway

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90% Foodland, 10% Carrefour

Foodland have easy parking (just a few steps from the door) and not to far from Sukhumvit Rd. So not much Traffic Jams. Most of the propducts can find easly as they are at the same place since decades (they not allwasy changing the place of their items). Excellent butchery (no bad smells like in Tesco, BiC or Carrefour). In Foodland can eat easly clean and cheap (allways fresh stuff) on their small Took la dee restaurant/bar, quick, without wasting time.

If i go to Carrefour, i go only, because they have Black Canion Rest, Svensens Ice cream Supermarket and Homepro together. Carrefour have some better choice of imported milkproducts and salami than others. But can the long cashierlines kills my idea of shopping there.

The sole criteria for a good shopping place is the existence of somewhere to sit, drink coffee and watch girls while the wife does the shopping.

The best place in the entire world for this is Starbucks in Central Lad Phrao. Unfortunately thats in BKK.

In Pattaya I quite like that French coffee place in Central festival, while she shops in Big C.

Foodland

Good quality, fair prices, efficient and friendly staff, as is the manager, well I think she is ( Chinese lady ) ;even the background music is enjoyable.

Edited by luckyluke

Carrefour for me. Mrs goes shopping upstairs and I buy the Bangkok Post and sit in the coffee shop, looking at the talent walking past :D

Exact same for me...Maybe next time you can leave the newspaper for me? By the time I arrive, they are sold out at the bookstore. Awesome eye candy there where I sit, but always wierd when the wife comes downstairs from shopping and I have some talent sitting chatting with me...Oh well! :)

Foodland, as it's small and compact, easy for me to get around and do a quick shop. Obviously a place marketed for foreign tastes and

I like the foodstuffs in there...... there is a good coold cuts/salad counter also.

Most popular: Tesco or Carrefour(depends on location).

Way of shopping: one route and usually done in approx. 20 minutes.

Was pretty 'upset' when Carrefour changed their layout 2 years ago.

Living in BKK now and now using Tesco at Seacon Square; it's the closest to my home.

I "enjoy" shopping at the new Topps at Central in Pattay because though they have a good business, the manager can onlythink of having just two clerks checking out everyone in the evening. Meanwhile, he disappears and all of us customers have to wait 15 minutes just to check out a hand full of items.

Close call between Friendship and Foodland for Farang stuff.

Friendship has a good cross-section of Farang food at sensible prices.

Almost similar for Foodland but you can also get a decent rice meal for under 100 baht. :)

Whereas TOPS at Central Festival is a Farang tourist rip-off. How the heck can they justify selling half a kilo of Talley peas forn 85 Baht when Makro sells a kilo for 89 Bt.

As I'm a Pattaya tourist and not a resident I don't have a long shopping list. I do however, like to eat breakfast in my hotel room most days rather than eat all that fried crap that most tourists fill up on.

For my basic needs I mostly shop at Tops on Central/Second Road. It's quite close to my hotel and their prices are hard to beat. It's also a great place to have lunch.

I also use Modern City supermarket on Beach Road...mostly for fruit juice, soap, tooth paste etc. I have yet to find another supermarket that can beat them on their prices.

Just to add another question to this thread, specifically in relation to the "Salad Cart"

Starting a new regime of salads for Dinner.

Any views on varying price, quality, choice?

So far I have only tried Central 20b for 100 grams and Friendship 10b for 100 grams.

Won't be going back to Central for double the price.

But do any of the others have Friendship beat?

For my basic needs I mostly shop at Tops on Central/Second Road. It's quite close to my hotel and their prices are hard to beat. It's also a great place to have lunch.

I

Tops' eating area (I hesitate to call it a restaurant or food hall) is scummy.

I would only ever walk through there to get to the conveniently located toilets. Although that is a bit of a gut-wrenching experience in itself.

The deli counter looks good though

Living in BKK now and now using Tesco at Seacon Square; it's the closest to my home.

This is actually a very valid point,

I shopped for years in Foodland because it was close to my home.

Now Carrefour is the closest, and I shop there (Lotus is as close as Carrefour but I just do not like it).

For sure Carrefour is not my favorite as you probably noticed from previous topics but I go some time and buy only canned foods,as Tesco and big C are far worse.

Today they lost even more sympathy from me as turned out that again are out of stock of ALL bottled sugarfree soft drinks.Can't have anything to do with the supplier as i guess cocc cola has nothing to do with pepsi.But this happens every other month and lasts for at least a week.How is this possible in a computerized world?

Have thought already about sending an email to the head office about this issue but that is another story of course.

Ok for me Foodland for all fresh food and I'm leaning towards using it as the only shopping place as I can give you examples from many items which are half the price of Carrafour and then I don't mean fresh foods.

Also foodland has good promotions,not the 1 baht discount promotions,and for the right articles.

This is actually a very valid point,

I shopped for years in Foodland because it was close to my home.

Now Carrefour is the closest, and I shop there (Lotus is as close as Carrefour but I just do not like it).

When drive into town I pass both Tesco and Big C about 5 km before I reach the next supermarket.But you will not see me buy food in one of both.

On my nine trips to Patters, I usually am there each time for less than 30 days, so I usually don't have a kitchen to stock up or use. I typically only buy a few things. Things I can eat right away , or that can go in my hotle Fridge.

Tops. Usually very convenient and I like their bread bakery section. Pick up a few fruit pastries, or donuts, or banana cake, maybe some juice drinks, cheese, or a bag of grapes for my small room refrigerator. The little internet "cafe" there is convenient and the young woman that ran it for the last few years was pleasant.

Carre 4. Some of their cooked and packaged food I get. I like the "Moo Dan" the red pork. Don't really buy a lot of stuff. Did help with the shopping and carrying the groceries while hanging out at one of the little restaurants on Soi Yume near my hotel.

Foodland. Last trip went there the most. I like the counter kitchen they have there. Those short order cooks do a pretty good job, and around the clock, 24-7. Just something to do. Did buy a few of the "fresh" but packaged stir fry types of dinners that you can take home and toss in a pan and fry up. Took them to my friend's place to cook. They have vegetables and chicken or pork. They cost so little, it may beat eating at KISS, if you have a kitchen

Holiday starts May 7th. Can't wait

FOODLAND one stop shopping, quick checkouts, someone to load up your car for you, outside the door parking, freebies often and no roaches.

That just about summed me up when I lived in Pattaya. I prefer the markets for fresh produce but supermarkets are good for the packetted and tinned stuff plus all the cleaning bits and pieces and occasionally for the imported meats.

My shopping style wherever I am is the same. I sit at home and make a list of everything I NEED. Then I go to the supermarket and get it all as quick as possible, then one more circuit to see if anything grabs my fancy then out. If I'm in there twenty minutes there must have been a long queue at the checkout.

I don't like shopping on three counts:-

1. I don't like shops.

2. I don't like shop assistants.

3. I have a psychopathic hatred for other shoppers. :)

So I treat shopping like any other chore, get it out of the way as quick as possible.

I don't like shopping on three counts:-

1. I don't like shops.

2. I don't like shop assistants.

3. I have a psychopathic hatred for other shoppers. :)

Whoa, now.

Eeeeeeeeasy there, Bud- Good imput... but isn't this a fairly pleasant, benign subject? Sabai sabai, krap!

PS- Hava nice day... :D

Sorry guys but for price and choice it has to be Friendship. Just look at the new cooked meats and cheeses counter, also they now are stocking AUS import beef and price wise I reckon 15-20% below Foodland. I have to admit that if budget wasn't a concern then the supermarket in the basement of central would be my first choice but actually having to live here on a working wage then Friendship every time.

Sorry guys but for price and choice it has to be Friendship. Just look at the new cooked meats and cheeses counter, also they now are stocking AUS import beef and price wise I reckon 15-20% below Foodland. I have to admit that if budget wasn't a concern then the supermarket in the basement of central would be my first choice but actually having to live here on a working wage then Friendship every time.

I can understand your point of view.

I, too, think Friendship has many of the farang food items I want. Many people favor Foodmart. I've only been there once, because we live in Jomtien, but now I'm going to try to get over there and have a good look around. Agreed: each of the 3 times I've been to Central, the products definitely looked appealing... but not the prices! Ever tried Makro's butcher shop? Big, varied selection at very reasonable prices.

Edited by Michaelaway

As both, Carrefour and Foodland are around the block from my office, it is the only places where I shop. Even though I like the selection of Friendship and Villa, they are too far out of the way for my convenience.

Carrefour: fresh fruits, local lamb if available and dry/packed stuff. Carrefour became our main diaper supplier :)

Foodland: anything else.

//edit: parking and getting into the shopping area is a major pain at Carrfour. Ialso have trouble finding my car on larger parking lots. This is a big plus for Foodland. Can I have a green card?

Friendship is my number 1 choice. I know where everything is, which funnily enough is a big incentive and the checkout is very fast and efficient; quite possibly, the best in the world. They have all the free magazines at the doorway and upstairs many hard-to-find things are available for sale. Also there is no stupid beer selling restrictions here except on the serious public holidays.

Another benefit of Friendship Supermarket, is the fact that you can sit outside and eat/drink 'just bought' chilled beer and chat with local eccentrics, drop-outs, grumpy old men and local loonies.

Carrefour is O.K. but following a near-death food poisoning incident I will not buy ready cooked meat/fish/curry/meals etc. I just find it cheaper in Carrefour to buy special offer cleaning stuff, washing powder, bog-rolls, fabric softener, etc.

TOPS is generally disappointing and dark. I can't even read the labels unless I take my Mini Maglite.

Big C Supermarket on 2nd Road is O.K. some good offers.

Foodland Supermarket, a lot of farang love this place but I can't see the attraction. Can anyone give me one good reason why this place is better than 'Friendship'?

Whoa, now.

Eeeeeeeeasy there, Bud- Good imput... but isn't this a fairly pleasant, benign subject? Sabai sabai, krap!

PS- Hava nice day... :D

A little bit tongue in cheek which I had hoped the emoticon would infer.

No I don't go to the supermarket armed with my AK47, personally I prefer the AK74 a much more efficient killing machine. :D

Honely joking Jose. :D

But I still hate <deleted>' shopping. :)