Ipad In Chiang Mai

mrsouza

Thanks Orita, I will check it out.

Richard, I am well aware that this is grey import but I need one for a specific purpose, so I guess I have to live with the premium price. They will be covered by the guarantee once Thailand sell them officially, until then you can send them to the US for repair. Apple pay for the the return shipment.

It is the mobile phone shop next to Tom Lay Cut hair salon.

Typing this on my new iPad. Got 500 baht discount. Thanks Orita. :)

So how much was it?

26,500. Not too bad considering import duty is around 6,0000.

I was offered a "lost and found" still in shrink wrap for 12k. Turned it down. Didn't see it (phone call) - it was a friend of a friend who had it - apparently "lost" from the back of a lorry - ready for the launch???

I was offered a "lost and found" still in shrink wrap for 12k. Turned it down. Didn't see it (phone call) - it was a friend of a friend who had it - apparently "lost" from the back of a lorry - ready for the launch???

Your friend still offering it? :)

I can't figure out what is so great about them, but maybe I'm missing something. The screen is the size of a small laptop - so not that portable - and does not use e-ink for the reader function and does not have a usb port. Wouldn't a slightly bigger laptop give one a lot bang for their buck?

I can't figure out what is so great about them, but maybe I'm missing something. The screen is the size of a small laptop - so not that portable - and does not use e-ink for the reader function and does not have a usb port. Wouldn't a slightly bigger laptop give one a lot bang for their buck?

Hard to say what it actually is. It's great for coffee/bed/living room table. The great thing about it it's the feel of it, but it can never beat a laptop for serious work. If someone is not a technophile (like me) I guess you really have to try it out first to see if it's for you. I find it being a great ebook reader with more interactive possibilities than, let's say, Amazon Kindle.

The iPad is a media consumer, that's pretty much it.

Browse the internet, read a book etc etc.

I just think that it's overpriced and lacking, I'm sure Gen 2 or 3 will be much nicer.

But, no webcam, so no skype. No usb output, no memory card input, concave back so it twirls when placed on a flat surface, 4:3 ratio not 16:9 so no widescreen movies. The list goes on, and it's the same price as the lenovo 1.66ghz atom tablet, which is a REAL tablet.

I'm picking up a Tm2t for the wife, dam_n powerful for a 12" tablet.

Many new devices out this year

Asus EEE ereader double colour display at about 10kbht(I rather like the look of this)

Microsoft ereader double colour display, price unknown

Not sure the other devices are worth looking at until these are out.

If you must have an ipad, why not get a tourist friend to bring one over from the states/UK in their holdall, much cheaper there.

I'm heavily into ebooks, but want value for money, notebook battery doesn't last long enough to really use as a book reader, you need 20hrs min.

Kindle very limited and very expensive.

Edited by sarahsbloke

It is the mobile phone shop next to Tom Lay Cut hair salon.

Typing this on my new iPad. Got 500 baht discount. Thanks Orita. :)

So how much was it?

26,500. Not too bad considering import duty is around 6,0000.

6,000 THB for the import duty? Does that include shipping? What's the percentage - how is it calculated?

I was planning on buying a few online on apple.com and have them remailed to Chiang Mai. If there is in fact a 6,000 THB import duty I might just buy them here instead.

Edited by kudroz

6,000 THB for the import duty? Does that include shipping? What's the percentage - how is it calculated?

I was planning on buying a few online on apple.com and have them remailed here in Chiang Mai. If there is in fact a 6,000 THB import duty I might just buy them here instead.

Thats what I read in the computer forum from some guy that had one shipped from the US. As always with Thai customs, it's a hit or miss. According to rumors at the local Apple Store they will be sold officially in about 2 weeks in Thailand. I doubt it, but might be worth waiting.

I was planning on buying a few online on apple.com and have them remailed here in Chiang Mai. If there is in fact a 6,000 THB import duty I might just buy them here instead.

Thats what I read in the computer forum from some guy that had one shipped from the US. As always with Thai customs, it's a hit or miss. According to rumors at the local Apple Store they will be sold officially in about 2 weeks in Thailand. I doubt it, but might be worth waiting.

That was my plan at first, waiting for the international release but I think they said it was postponed until end of May. I need to get one or two at least for app development purposes... I guess I could get one at the shop where you got yours, do you have a phone number - do you know if they still have one or two in stock?

That was my plan at first, waiting for the international release but I think they said it was postponed until end of May. I need to get one or two at least for app development purposes... I guess I could get one at the shop where you got yours, do you have a phone number - do you know if they still have one or two in stock?

As of yesterday they had one left, the demo, but it was in a good condition. I am sure you can get the price down even more though.

Phone: 053-202022, directions as above. Let me know if you take it, and what you think. :)

It's a mystery to me as well. I was looking forward to the iPad's introduction. When it as introduced, I was underwhelmed. Still, everyone I've talked to that's actually used one for more than an hour tell me to a man that I can't appreciate how great it is till I've used one. Most of them agree that the book reader and web-surfing alone are worth the price. Granted some of these fellows are Macheads so you'd want to give their views the usual Apple fanboy discount (30%?). But I'm eager to try one out, though not so eager that I'd be willing to pay a premium to get one.

I asked for you - its gone apparently