Worsening Crisis Pushes Thailand Towards Anarchy

webfact

Kwanchai Phraiphana, a red-shirt leader, was arrested near the clashing site in Don Muang, Thai Rath Online reported.

The paper said Kwanchai was arrested at 2:41 pm while was trying to flee back to Rajprasong.

The Nation

It's actually pleasing to see the basic re establishment of law occuring for the Abhisit and Anupong coalition, slow and steady from the ground up. Soldiers and police actually doing their jobs breaking through and dealing to the lawbreakers, Reds getting locked up in jail, scumbags like Kwanchai getting caught and renegade mobs being isolated and captured.

The UDD/Reds are dead meat politically. They have been exposed for the thugs they are and have no international support and are quickly loosing it within Thailand's borders, with their continued tyranny. Way to go Pinnochio - a Democratic led coalition government at the next elections is starting to become more of a reality the longer these Red thugs play their tune.

Let's hope this arrest is confirmed 100% soon. Will be a major blow to the reds if so.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The yellows where aloud to protest so why should the red not be able to. I am married to a Thai lady living in the uk and my mother in law is 76 years old, she protested in Bangkok wearing a red shirt but she’s not a terrorist or terrorizing law abiding citizens, she simply wants a fair democratic elected Prime minister.

Please don’t judge all Red’s as terrorist, a lot of them just want fairness.

Kwanchai Phraiphana, a red-shirt leader, was arrested near the clashing site in Don Muang, Thai Rath Online reported.

The paper said Kwanchai was arrested at 2:41 pm while was trying to flee back to Rajprasong.

The Nation

It's actually pleasing to see the basic re establishment of law occuring for the Abhisit and Anupong coalition, slow and steady from the ground up. Soldiers and police actually doing their jobs breaking through and dealing to the lawbreakers, Reds getting locked up in jail, scumbags like Kwanchai getting caught and renegade mobs being isolated and captured.

The UDD/Reds are dead meat politically. They have been exposed for the thugs they are and have no international support and are quickly loosing it within Thailand's borders, with their continued tyranny. Way to go Pinnochio - a Democratic led coalition government at the next elections is starting to become more of a reality the longer these Red thugs play their tune.

Let's hope this arrest is confirmed 100% soon. Will be a major blow to the reds if so.

They just announced it on the television as well. Either it is true or they are all using the same unreliable source.

The yellows where aloud to protest so why should the red not be able to. I am married to a Thai lady living in the uk and my mother in law is 76 years old, she protested in Bangkok wearing a red shirt but she’s not a terrorist or terrorizing law abiding citizens, she simply wants a fair democratic elected Prime minister.

OK, I'll bite. Nobody is saying ALL of the red shirts are terrorists. SOME of them are. And as the Thai PM Abhisit said just now on Hard Talk, the vast majority of Thais OPPOSE red shirt terrorist violence. You can't separate the absolutely disgusting tactics of the red shirt insurgency from their movement. They have NO moral authority at this point.

The yellows where aloud to protest so why should the red not be able to. I am married to a Thai lady living in the uk and my mother in law is 76 years old, she protested in Bangkok wearing a red shirt but she's not a terrorist or terrorizing law abiding citizens, she simply wants a fair democratic elected Prime minister.

Please don't judge all Red's as terrorist, a lot of them just want fairness.

The reds ARE allowed to protest.

They ARE NOT allowed to bring a city to stand still causing billions of baht damage to the economy.

Not all the reds that are protesting are terrorists, but there are definitely some in there. The ones that are not terrorists are going to get caught up in the cross fire in any fight between the army and the armed reds, as happened on April 10.

Maybe you explain to your Thai wife so she can explain to her grand mother, that Abishit is a fair democratically elected PM. He was elected in the same way as Gordon Brown (and Somchai, and Samak, and Thaksin).

Al Jazeera reoprts witnesses as saying protestors armed

that seems to match this from the nation..

One troop with severe head injury and 10 protesters were admitted to the Bhumibhol following the clash between anti-riot troops and red-shirt protesters near the Air Force headquarters.

The protesters were injured by rubber bullets.

The troop appeared to have been shot at his hed

Just on BBC - a Thai soldier killed by protesters today. Those peaceful Red shirts at work.

This is civil war already. Don't kid yourself. Abhisit stepping down will not stop it either.

People use that "Civil War" term far to freely. The vast majority are NOT involved, and that does not make for a war. I suggest more care taken with use of incendiary terms.

Just on BBC - a Thai soldier killed by protesters today. Those peaceful Red shirts at work.

This is civil war already. Don't kid yourself. Abhisit stepping down will not stop it either.

I thought it was the police in friendly fire who shot the soldier.

When will the international press start reporting the truth, that the red shirt insurgents are in no way INNOCENT victims of government violence? The red shirts are the trouble makers; the government is only trying to restore order.

Al Jazeera reoprts witnesses as saying protestors armed

that seems to match this from the nation..

One troop with severe head injury and 10 protesters were admitted to the Bhumibhol following the clash between anti-riot troops and red-shirt protesters near the Air Force headquarters.

The protesters were injured by rubber bullets.

The troop appeared to have been shot at his hed

Red shirt PR disaster.

People use that "Civil War" term far to freely. The vast majority are NOT involved, and that does not make for a war. I suggest more care taken with use of incendiary terms.

Well, you are wrong. Look up the definition of civil war and you will understand. It makes no difference if the majority are actively fighting.

Well, you are wrong. Look up the definition of civil war and you will understand. It makes no difference if the majority are actively fighting.

Its a terrorist movement, disguised as a protest. Nothing more, nothing less. More than 99 percent of the population are not involved. Its not a war.

The yellows where aloud to protest so why should the red not be able to. I am married to a Thai lady living in the uk and my mother in law is 76 years old, she protested in Bangkok wearing a red shirt but she's not a terrorist or terrorizing law abiding citizens, she simply wants a fair democratic elected Prime minister.

Please don't judge all Red's as terrorist, a lot of them just want fairness.

If you MIL is participating in an illegal protest that has an armed militia, leaders calling for violence, and doesn't understand the basics of "democratically elected", then she deserves to be labeled with the rest.

Many of us that are very "anti-red" and particularly "anti-Thaksin" certainly feel that the poor in ALL of Thailand are under-represented. That does not mean that their participation in an anti-democratic series of rallies that damage the entire country needs to be excused.

Currently there is an elected PM in Thailand, if you doubt this please contact the government of the UK and ask them. The current PM was elected the same way that Samak and Somchai were........

Its a terrorist movement, disguised as a protest. Nothing more, nothing less. More than 99 percent of the population are not involved. Its not a war.

We have multiple political factions fighting each other. All sides are armed and using the arms to a certain degree. Its a war. There are different kinds of civil wars. Don't expect a battle of Antietam here.

civil war definition

civil war

war between geographical sections or political factions of the same nation

Seagate is mulling relocating to China, Western Digital to Malaysia. These are all rumours of course, but only a couple of months after similar rumours from Sony started popping up from the same sources, Sony announced they are moving to Malaysia.

Investors do not like risks and uncertainty. It is the interests of ALL thais to solve in depth the issue of the Northern population. A crackdown will bring -at the best- only a temporary solution, because sooner or later the Thai 2 speed development consequences will re-surface. bangkokians have to invest in Northern Thailand: it is their well understood interest

Investors will avoid Thailand until they have a certainty of stability.

What you fail to realize is that there are many many wealthy rural people. Why do you not take your arguments to them first? I agree the central government should do what it can, but you must remember the financial and business districts are in Bangkok. This is the center of investment. This is where the jobs are. This is where the taxes come from. And this is where the largest portion of the tax money will be spent. If it is not this way then the country of Thailand will become not be competitive. The factories are scattered around the country, but the ones geared toward the export market need to be near the coast. These are the basic facts.

I'm not sure Jerry travels around the North much. For the past ten years there has been an unending string of investment, in agricultural, industrial, commercial and residential development here in Chiang Mai. Meanwhile the population has nearly tripled. Government, investors and individuals are making decisions to improve the status quo. I'm sorry Jerry isn't seeing that.

We have multiple political factions fighting each other. All sides are armed and using the arms to a certain degree. Its a war. There are different kinds of civil wars. Don't expect a battle of Antietam here.

civil war definition

civil war

war between geographical sections or political factions of the same nation

Whatever floats your boat. Lets hope that is actually doesn't turn into an actual war.

I have to assume this is a joke / sarcasm.

Rachel Harvey has put the blame on the police for shooting the soldier, saying some 2 motorbikes were left through the red line and as they crossed towards the police line, one policeman opened fire, shooting soldier.

I know, from video recordings it doesn't make much if any sense as army was behind the police, but Rachel knows better.

Al Jazeera has witnesses as saying some reds armed and firing. In the confusion anything could have happened.

Calling this (currently) a civil war is far beyond naive ... it is irresponsible. It would barely qualify as an insurgency or rebellion ... however, should things continue without stopping the threat of the reds setting up roadblocks and searching people, and preventing governent officials from doing their jobs then it could certainly move into a full scale insurrection quickly.

Since there have been no real actions on either side aimed at taking territory and controlling the population it just doesn't come close to being a "war" in any way.

Personally I do not think many of us would choose to live in a country that was actually actively involved in a civil war.

Rachel Harvey has put the blame on the police for shooting the soldier, saying some 2 motorbikes were left through the red line and as they crossed towards the police line, one policeman opened fire, shooting soldier.

I know, from video recordings it doesn't make much if any sense as army was behind the police, but Rachel knows better.

Al Jazeera has witnesses as saying some reds armed and firing. In the confusion anything could have happened.

It may just be showing a media bias on my part --- but I would trust Al Jazeera before I trusted the BBC.