Kawasaki D-tracker Information

kineo

About three months ago I bought a Kawasaki D-Tracker 2005 Japanese model from Bangkok. I live in Patong and would like to try and find out as much info on the bikes as I can, so please post anything relevant on here such as where to find a good mechanic, mods done, where to buy upgrades and so on. I'd also like to find a few other people with similar bikes that would like to ride a few days a month so if that's you please drop me a line. By the way I love the bike it's great to get around on and zippy around town.

Have done a few mods myself such as:

1. changed out the exhaust for a Two Brothers carbon slip on that is super sweet a gave a small amount of extra power had to put the silencer on it as it was crazy loud

2. took the lid off the airbox another small amount of power

3. bought a 34mm Mikuni flat sided carb that gave awesome acceleration used shit loads more fuel and made more noise. I removed this last week as it wasn't running so well?

4. bought new tires and had the brakes updated to the latest ones with larger rotors and more stopping power

As I said the bikes great but I'd like to find a good local mechanic to get the carb sorted out as the ones I've used are a bit shoddy. After watching them do some work they really have no idea or experience with this type of bike and seem to fumble along.

Also thanks for a great site here heaps of info and good stuff!

post-105523-1272360239_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Why don't you start at the Kawasaki dealer in phuket, if they can't help you, im pretty sure that they know who can.

I've been to the Kawasaki dealer in Phuket town. They weren't overly helpful as I didn't buy it from them and also because it's a Japanese 2005 model. I'd prefer to try and find someone local to Patong or a bit closer. Just need someone that knows how to jet them properly. Would do it myself but don't have the tools, parts or place to do it in.

Cheers for the quick replies!

I have hard that the older Carb'd model like yours had significantly more HP than the newer Thai-made FI model. I am also wondering if there are any other diff's as far as you know. I'm curious about why you chose to buy an imported one over a brand new Thai-made one? With registration, it must have cost you even more, right? Was it simply for the carb? From what I understand, it is a huge matter and expense to switch the FI to a carb. Sorry for all the questions but I am genuinely interested.

I have hard that the older Carb'd model like yours had significantly more HP than the newer Thai-made FI model. I am also wondering if there are any other diff's as far as you know. I'm curious about why you chose to buy an imported one over a brand new Thai-made one? With registration, it must have cost you even more, right? Was it simply for the carb? From what I understand, it is a huge matter and expense to switch the FI to a carb. Sorry for all the questions but I am genuinely interested.

I think you're right that the carbureted D-tracker is more powerful than the Fuel Injected model because most of the guys racing the Thai D-trackers here tear out the FI and replace it with old school carbs. I don't know what type / brand of carbs they are using but can't imagine it's really all that expensive. I actually watched a guy do the swap from FI to Carb on a D-tracker a while back and it took him less than an hour.

And the non FI is easier to put 300 (or more) big bores onto..

Have to say having just spent some weeks on a dirtbike that a motard or dirtbike would be welcome in the stable but the 250 FIs are a bit gutless.. Wonder what mods they have on them in the BKK race scene.

Have to say having just spent some weeks on a dirtbike that a motard or dirtbike would be welcome in the stable but the 250 FIs are a bit gutless.. Wonder what mods they have on them in the BKK race scene.

Just looking at some of the pics you can see they mod just about EVERYTHING!

DSC_0132.jpg

firstly want to say thanks for all the replies and interest. It's great and Phobic your link proved to be really helpful. I took a ride down there yesterday and they have some very cool mods for the KSR'S some very sweet stuff and if they don't have what you want they will order it in with no charge. The guy O who owns the shop just enjoys helping people out and loves supermotards.

He also had a couple of the new D-TrackerX's outside that had a little work done to them. In the near future he will get mods in for the D-Tracker but at the moment can only order things in if you bring the part number and manufacturers name in to him.

The websites in English as well, some of it! Most surprising is that the shops really well presented, clean and organised by the looks. O put me on to Jo who is a mechanic that is about 100m back around the corner. I will put more info up of his details later on.

Jo has an awesome work shop with milling machine and other great tools. It's only small but again I was happy to see how clean and organised they were. Maybe not good but I tend to judge a bit by how well organised people are.

Jo said that the D-Trackers have a huge Thai following up in BKK and showed me a heap of photos. Even though I've read much about fitting Mikuni TM33 pumper carbs to the D-Tracker he recommended the Keinen FSR as this is what they all use on the BKK race circut. The price is around 27,000 baht so I'm going to do a lot more research before I go down this path.

OK so to answer some more questions about why I bought the old D-Tracker:

1- I was brought up messing with outboard engines so feel more at home with carbs

2- again the simplicity of having less electronics, being able to fix and solve things more easily on my own

3- when reading on the net I found that some people believe the parts and manufacturing process are of a better quality on the older Japanese ones. Which I'd believe after living here a little! but who knows?

4- cost was less for a bike that had more power. I've ridden both pretty stock and the older one had heaps more grunt

5- easier to make mods like removing the eco bullshit that it came with. This was heating for the carb for cold weather and other small items I found through google.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm in BKK and Pattaya for a few weeks but when I get time I'll put as much info on here as I've been able to find out so far. Sorry if there's any mistakes here trying to type from the back of a taxi on my iPhone!! I must be nuts!!

Can't be 100% sure but these sunken-pee-holes-in-the-snow eyes look like Matt. :) Although to be honest he would probably only be showing one finger.

DSC_0272.jpg

Erm, nope, that's Khun Pep. He's the captain of the Kawasaki Stunt Team and wins most of these races with ease. (He raced this one with a few broken ribs in fact :D )

firstly want to say......... I must be nuts!!

:)

Good to hear that you found something from the link, but remember.. he is a salesman, so consider what he says ( what he wants to sell ) before you buy.

Can't believe you wrote all that on a touch qwerty... *hint* quote *hint* :D

Just looking at some of the pics you can see they mod just about EVERYTHING!

DSC_0132.jpg

I see lots of carbon trick bits and bike jewellery.. But what I would like to know is what are they getting power wise.

I assume these are hotted well.. So it has to be possible.. Any english language sources for info.

Considering finding a dtracker plus KLX wheels for some Laos / Viet / Cambo rides.. Had such a ball in vietnam.

Hey all a few links for you to check out. I haven't been able to find to much info on the D-Tracker but as the older carb fuelled KLX and D-Tracker are so similar these links have some good info for the simple mods that can be done to the older and also newer bike.

kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8886

hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617

post-105523-1272724606_thumb.jpg

post-105523-1272724708_thumb.jpg

post-105523-1272724699_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok have had some more work done to the bike lately. Got the shits with the high end stuttering when I floored it so took the bike into Bike Works in Whichit near Phuket town. I'll post some pics and also the address of the guy Jo that does the work as he's real professional, very fair prices and good reliable service. Jo's english isn't the best so either take someone along that speaks Thai or just ring when you get there so they can communicate to him what your wanting done. I can talk with him but I do the above just to make sure he's fully up on what I want done.

Anyway within a few hours of dropping the bike off Jo had rung me back. I dropped the bike off in the morning by about 5pm he rang to say it was done. Jo had re-jetted the carb for me and the difference was unreal. Was able to get the front wheel off the ground and the pick up was perfect from idle all the way to max rpm's. I'd say I had an easy 15-20% more power just from him knowing how to re-jet properly and by making it perfect all the way through the rev range. None of the other 3 bike shops were able to do this!

While there I asked Jo about getting a new racing carb fitted. He said he'd call a mate in Bangkok and let me know. Next day he rang and for 16,000 Baht there was one I could have within a few days. I gave Jo the go ahead to order it and he's fitting it today. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the bike back tomorrow. The carbs is a

Jo's a great guy the re-jetting cost me 600 baht and he also went over the engine to make sure there was nothing wrong with the valves clearances. If anyone here is interested in the Kawasaki KSR's Jo does all the work to these also and just around the corner is the Phuket Bike ( www.phuketbike.net ) where you can get all the mods for both the KSR and D-Tracker. These guys have also just bought the new Hypermotard from Ducati! it's a sweet looking bike and if your after truck load of power check them out on youtube.

Below is some pictures and directions to Bike Works and here Jo's numbers. Ph: 076523007 Mob: 0858835447

post-105523-1275727534_thumb.png

post-105523-1275727706_thumb.png

post-105523-1275728797_thumb.png