Thailand's Tourism Plunges Drastically

webfact

Thank you red shirts for destroying Thai tourism. Your Thai brothers and sisters will be grateful that you took food off their table, yet again.

Do you really believe what you have just said? Are you really blind to what happened when teh Yellow shirts closed the Airports? Tourism hasn't ben teh same since then. It will change when the gov't (or whoever is pulling the strings) realizes that as long as half the nation believes that the current gov't is not legal demonstrations will continue. Call for teh new Election in 90 to 120 days and let peace prevail for awhile (or until the yellows become unhappy with the outcome of the next election).

difference is Yellows did not fire grenades into the sky train stations and start killing people

You know who fired the grenades?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am supprised there are so many still comming to Thailand "Rubber neckers" :)

Why are you surprised. The situation isn't that bad at all. No worse than people being bombed on the London underground and shot and knifed to death in the clubs. A couple of weeks ago a few people were shot with a sub-machine gun in a London club. The UK government don't warn about travelto London, but do warn about travel to Thailand. Seems a bit odd to me.

Anyway, I'm still coming in a few weeks.

Twitter is addictive!

tulsathit Troops today tried to separate head&tail of the long red convoy, facing off with the front lines& using another unit to cut off the tail.

20 minutes ago

tulsathit TR @satien_nna: Rajprasong reds r almost in panic. Rumours buzzing about imminent crackdown. "What's our leaders doing?" many shouted

16 minutes ago

RedPhanFa2Day RT @andrewspooner: Glad BBC got friendly-fire story out before likes of @tulsathit put out fabricated govt spin. Tks 4 RT it 2

16 minutes ago

photo_journ RT @tulsathit: TR @satien_nna: Rajprasong reds r almost in panic. "What's our leaders doing?" many shtd. More lies from The Nation. No panic

10 minutes ago

tulsathit TR @noppatjak: Face-off continues btw troops & reds at National Memorial. Gunfire has stopped.

7 minutes ago

Edited by whiterussian

I think the tourist levels will fall drastically in certain groups. Familys and couples will

come in much lower amounts while I believe single males and backpackers (the bread

and butter of Thai tourism) will come at usually levels.

I think Thailand as a big destination in the World to bring your family for annual

holidays is over. Lets be honest, what do most people think about when it comes

to holidays to Thailand............ Yes nice beaches, temples etc but what springs to most

peoples mind first would be nice bitches and go go bars!

Why are you surprised. The situation isn't that bad at all. No worse than people being bombed on the London underground and shot and knifed to death in the clubs. A couple of weeks ago a few people were shot with a sub-machine gun in a London club. The UK government don't warn about travelto London, but do warn about travel to Thailand. Seems a bit odd to me.

Anyway, I'm still coming in a few weeks.

The situations are not comparable in any way whatsoever. Anyway, why should the UK government warn about travel to London? And whether or not you go to Thailand in a few weeks may not be up to you at all. "The situation isn't that bad at all.". I'll remember that, thousands of troops on the streets, grenades being thrown, the country drifting to civil war. But the situation isn't that bad at all. Duh. :D

Who is going to reimburse Siam Paragon for one month of lost revenue?

The bill for that and for all costs and damages during this siege should of course be charged to the red leaders. They are responsible.

I think we have to be quite about the fact tourist still go to south and enjoy the beaches. Because if the Red figure this out they will also try to destroy south tourism how small it is.

They just hate Thailand

Som nom na.

Last week I went to KL for a visa run. Going out on a Monday....immigration was packed. Returning on the Wednesday...at 8pm...Immigration was empty. Usually, at 8pm, the queue is about 20 people deep on each line....this time, perhaps 4 or 5 per line. So yeah...no bigs news here.

And somebody please explain the logic in spending 1.6b or whatever to stimulate tourism?????? That's like "Come to Bosnia" or "visit lovely Afganistan!"......."Welcome to Thailand. Duck!"

well... Bosnia is normal and safe place to visit, 'cause FYI war is over for some quite time now...

Agree with the qutejute, amazing to see even 20,000 a day coming in.

I guess nothing can keep the mongers away.

Nothing like Issans finest to lure them in. That's the one thing that will never go out of style.

Also, guys who have come here before know that they can head to Pattaya and not have any problems with the current situation. You can rest assured that Walking Street will not close, even during Martial Law and Military setting up camp on it. Case in point, Patpong still has some bars open and the army seems to be protecting the street and the open bars.

Hardly surprising seeing UK foreign office say 'emergency travel only'

Travel agents no longer allowed to sell holidays to Thailand, have to offer refunds on existing bookings.

Travel insurance for Thailand cancelled by the insurance companies if you do insist on coming.

Who in their right mind would come now?

I spoke to my insurance company and they told me that when the FCO advises against all travel to a country then the cover is invalid, at the moment, although I'm still waiting for confirmation from them, the FCO has advised against all but essential travel to Thailand,not sure if this will make a difference

my wife's friends have had their tickets diverted to KL by the British government. End Game Thailand Tourism?

just interested, how can the UK government change tickets bought from a private company? Or do you mean that the airline has changed it's own flights because of advice given by the government?

genuinely interested as it may affect my travel plans, thanks :)

errr...thats 20,000 more tourists per day then when the yellow shirts we protesting to bring down the government (and succeeded).

sometimes karma's a bitch.

Foul, dude. You forget that this is lasting MUCH LONGER than the airport closure and people are making plans now for their winter travel. Trust me, Thailand is OFF THE LIST for most people who were planning to come. A friend of mine comes every year and asked me about what will be happening in November (he's making plans now which is typical). I said I can't predict next week, how can I predict November?

Edited by Jingthing

Would be nice to compare with previous years figures. At the same period comes the end of the high season.

Yes, typical Thai stats. The apples are much redder than the oranges this year. Its "almost" surprising that they can get away with comparing the end of the high season with the start of the low season. I am surprised that there isn't more of a difference...any year. It seems like at least at 30% drop in tourism in normal after Songkran.

And they are still trying to promote "Free Visas", yipee, that'll bring them in. In Canada, the embassy is now just charging a service fee of the same value as the "free visa" so it makes no difference to the visitor. Thailand expects the Thai consulates and embassies to absorb the "free visa". Apparently they are not compensating them for the lost revenue of giving the visas for free. As usual, the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Maybe I missed something but...why is Phuket safer than Chiang Mai? I can understand not letting these tourists go to Bangkok, but why not Northern Thailand? There is no fighting up here since everybody is red. The government leaders haven't dared come up here for months already as far as I know. There is simply nobody for the reds to fight. Although maybe Phuket is now a safe place since the Tuk Tuk drivers are probably fighting in BKK now instead.

Edited by blakegeee

errr...thats 20,000 more tourists per day then when the yellow shirts we protesting to bring down the government (and succeeded).

Foul, dude. You forget that this is lasting MUCH LONGER than the airport closure and people are making plans now for their winter travel. Trust me, Thailand is OFF THE LIST for most people who were planning to come. A friend of mine comes every year and asked me about what will be happening in November (he's making plans now which is typical). I said I can't predict next week, how can I predict November?

I have it on very good authority that leading European travel companies are cancelling all tours to Thailand for the next six weeks at least. Whether that is booked from the UK or all Europe i honestly don't know at this stage.

In my opinion, it's going to take a very swift resolution and assurances of lasting peace to change this travel advisory within the next few days let alone weeks.

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Pattaya should be safe enough, shouldnt it?

Don't cancel - Pattaya is still the same, grab a taxi from the now quiet airport and head south

:)

I have it on very good authority that leading European travel companies are cancelling all tours to Thailand for the next six weeks at least. Whether that is booked from the UK or all Europe i honestly don't know at this stage.

In my opinion, it's going to take a very swift resolution and assurances of lasting peace to change this travel advisory within the next few days let alone weeks.

i work in tourism and it's all true, this hurts in a big way and will continue to hurt for a long time. the fact is people will always want to come to thailand and they will come back eventually.

you cannot deny that the precedence was set in nov 2008 that mass protest will bring down the government and personally i think the streets of bangkok are a more appropriate venue then the international airport, thats all i'm saying and at least people still can still actually come if they want. i remember the barbed wire tire barricades in front of the airpot and i've been looking at the same ones out my office window for the last 3 weeks. difference being?

If the protestors get their way this time, it just means there will be mobs out on the streets regardless of the results of the next election.

That already happened with the yellow shirts.

The precedent was already set with the Airport takeover and the siege at Government House, then the lack of punishment of the leaders and people involved.

No wonder the reds think they are untouchable, but as I say, the precedent was already set so the mistakes were already made some time ago.

At least Thailand won't be seen as a soft overly touristy family destination. :) Thailand needed to get some of it's edgy feel back. Western tourism was in decline anyway, cheap group tours from China (etc) on the rise. Increasingly, Western tourist just make it a quick stop on their way to Cambodia and Vietnam. Perhaps the crowd looking for a degree of perceived adventure will increase again after the dust settles.

Who is going to reimburse Siam Paragon for one month of lost revenue?

Who cares... The owners of Siam Paragon or the land it sits on are the very people the reds are trying to oust from power and have more money than thaksin can ever dream of. They are not camped out in this area for reasons of personal safety. This area is predominantly owned by the super rich. The reds are trying to provoke a reaction by hitting them in the pocket. And the so called elite will order the army in soon bcos money is there only god.

Had it on first hand from a pr woman who worked for the central group, at the opening of central plaza in khon kaen, that the head of the business had a personal fortune (cash only) of 600,000,000,000 baht(thats billion) Baht. So lets not keep harping on about thaksins wealth, its just a smoke screen to hide the real issues

is it my maths, or have they got it completely wrong....!

if they normally get 30,000 tourists arriving per day and now its 20,000 how can it be a 10% reduction this year "ongoing" I Make it 33.3%................

If the protestors get their way this time, it just means there will be mobs out on the streets regardless of the results of the next election.

The precedent was already set with the Airport takeover and the siege at Government House, then the lack of punishment of the leaders and people involved.

No wonder the reds think they are untouchable, but as I say, the precedent was already set so the mistakes were already made some time ago.

No time like the present to STOP the cycle of making mistakes.

I'd have no problem flying to KL, then Langkawi and on to paradise...

What paradise? I have only seen overpriced resort and restaurant, dirty beach and polluted water in Samui.....

Well now, I'm from Belfast and am used to bombs and bullets. I've been coming to Thailand for 25 years and been here during military coups etc. I was stranded in Thailand last year when the airport was taken over, but not this year. I wont be coming. The dangers are too great to stay in Bkk and the problems may spread. I am surprised you are seeing 20,000 arrivals a day, but many like me will stay away. I wont end up on a mortuary slab over someone else's fight. Thailand seems to have a death wish with regards to tourism, sad but who in their right mind is going to take the risk?

Travel agents no longer allowed to sell holidays to Thailand, have to offer refunds on existing bookings.

Travel insurance for Thailand cancelled by the insurance companies if you do insist on coming.

I spoke to my insurance company and they told me that when the FCO advises against all travel to a country then the cover is invalid, at the moment, although I'm still waiting for confirmation from them, the FCO has advised against all but essential travel to Thailand,not sure if this will make a difference

Sorry but either you or whoever you spoke to has got it wrong, travel insurance becomes invalid under the present advisory.

"Britons told to avoid Thailand

Travel insurance will not cover Britons who ignore Foreign Office (FO) advice to avoid all but essential travel to Thailand, travel organisation Abta said."

Here.

The present travel advisory is at the second highest level. "...all but essential travel". The highest level is against all travel.

Its worth noting that many policies carry a caveat along the lines that you "heed and keep up to date on FCO advice" . That's a useful getout for the insurance co's and you need to keep a watch on that. Its only last week that volcanic ash became an act of god......

Well now, I'm from Belfast and am used to bombs and bullets. I've been coming to Thailand for 25 years and been here during military coups etc. I was stranded in Thailand last year when the airport was taken over, but not this year. I wont be coming. The dangers are too great to stay in Bkk and the problems may spread. I am surprised you are seeing 20,000 arrivals a day, but many like me will stay away. I wont end up on a mortuary slab over someone else's fight. Thailand seems to have a death wish with regards to tourism, sad but who in their right mind is going to take the risk?

As you will know a lot of violence and terrorism are blown out of proportian by the media, there are millions in Thailand and the vast majority have not seen or don't want any trouble. If there are around 13 million in Bangkok and 20 thousand arriving every day then surely being from Belfast you will realise the dangers are minimal.

I know there will be all those who will argue otherwise but be sensible and stay away from the troubled areas of Bangkok and you will be a lot safer than walking around the dodgy areas of the current Belfast.

I personally think the warning against travel to Bangkok from many countries is good, common sense but against all Thailand is overkill.

A very astute posting.

IMHO this can all be traced back to the coup. Some big wigs decided to tear up the rule book, so this is what we get!

The British !! Well, you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen :)

Some Britons are pressing ahead with trips to Thailand despite Foreign Office (FO) advice to avoid all but essential travel to the country.

Article here.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100428/tuk-b...ng-6323e80.html