Thailand's Tourism Plunges Drastically

webfact

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you red shirts for destroying Thai tourism. Your Thai brothers and sisters will be grateful that you took food off their table, yet again.

Do you really believe what you have just said? Are you really blind to what happened when teh Yellow shirts closed the Airports? Tourism hasn't ben teh same since then. It will change when the gov't (or whoever is pulling the strings) realizes that as long as half the nation believes that the current gov't is not legal demonstrations will continue. Call for teh new Election in 90 to 120 days and let peace prevail for awhile (or until the yellows become unhappy with the outcome of the next election).

It needs to be pointed out that only parts of Bangkok are unsafe, the rest of the country is fine. Chiang Mai is fine, the islands are fine, Pattaya is fine, just change planes at Suvanarbhumi and head up here to the mountains!

In my opinion this assessment is too rosy, particularly for tourists who have little knowledge of thailand. This is no longer a mere protest, it is a revolt, and while it hasnt extended to the point of armed rebellion or insurrection, that could break out at any time. To encourage people who could easily and for good reason panic in those circumstances to come here is, in my opinion, simply wrong.

Do you think all these foreign ministries are advising against travel to Thailand now because its low season?

Earthpig......ever heard of "arse covering"........the powers that be in the UK are pretty adept at it :)

Thank you red shirts for destroying Thai tourism. Your Thai brothers and sisters will be grateful that you took food off their table, yet again.

Do you really believe what you have just said? Are you really blind to what happened when teh Yellow shirts closed the Airports? Tourism hasn't ben teh same since then. It will change when the gov't (or whoever is pulling the strings) realizes that as long as half the nation believes that the current gov't is not legal demonstrations will continue. Call for teh new Election in 90 to 120 days and let peace prevail for awhile (or until the yellows become unhappy with the outcome of the next election).

Do you really believe what you just said? Are you really blind to the fact that although tourism took an awful knock because of the airport fiasco and global recession, tourism and the economy was fast on it's way to recovering nicely until the Reds decided to start a war.

Clamp down immediately, arrest the leaders, show the world you have the situation under control and maybe in another year both the economy and tourism can recover from this deplorable situation it now faces.

It needs to be pointed out that only parts of Bangkok are unsafe, the rest of the country is fine. Chiang Mai is fine, the islands are fine, Pattaya is fine, just change planes at Suvanarbhumi and head up here to the mountains!

In my opinion this assessment is too rosy, particularly for tourists who have little knowledge of thailand. This is no longer a mere protest, it is a revolt, and while it hasnt extended to the point of armed rebellion or insurrection, that could break out at any time. To encourage people who could easily and for good reason panic in those circumstances to come here is, in my opinion, simply wrong.

Do you think all these foreign ministries are advising against travel to Thailand now because its low season?

I don't know about other foreign ministries but the Dutch still only advises against travelling to Bangkok and, as always, the 4 southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

After reading a few pages here I get the feeling that a lot of people are, consciously or unconsciously, trying to to paint a much grimmer picture of the situation than it really is. True the Thai have a big problem but I am pretty sure that the Reds, and Yellows for that matter, are just a symptom in themselves. Just ask yourself: would this be possible in any developped western country? Probably not. Why? Numerous reasons I guess but as is almost always the case it's mainly education. Not that Bangkok is uneducated but the poor majority outside the Big Mango unfortunately still is. So it's mainly pure ignorance that's playing up right now.

The division between the educated and uneducated causes friction. In a way Thailand is more an aristocracy than a democracy. True, everybody has a vote, but how big are your chances to become successful in life, politically or otherwise, when you grow up in a small village up north? The fact that a lot of people give up their daily lives just like that to 'protest' for 500 baht a day says it all really. I don't blame the majority of the reds simply because they just can't oversee the repercussions of their actions. If someone could just explain to them they are destroying their own income as well as that of many others... Too late I guess and I hold the Thai elite responsible.

All parties in this conflict are part of the cause and that is why this thing is lasting much longer than most people want it to. No Thai seems to have a correct morale in this country. Simply no one has the mental prevalence to just stop it once and forever, which is why we'll be needing the army every once in a while to keep the country livable and accessible to everyone including tourists. I'm sure the same thing will happen this time: in the end the army will 'remove' all the reds and life will go on, forgetting what happened asap. Then we'll all smile again and Thailand is yet again the perfect holiday destination. In the mean time if the Thai would only recognize the real troubles underneath and get rid of those forever...

Edited by AgentSmith

Elections now would only be a short term solution.

Protestors in Thailand need to understand that a violent mob on the streets can not force an election when someone is unhappy with the currect legitimately elected government of the time.

If the protestors get their way this time, it just means there will be mobs out on the streets regardless of the results of the next election.

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Pattaya should be safe enough, shouldnt it?

No Problem, NOT to worry..........................................Pattaya is a different land altogether...

Do you really believe what you just said? Are you really blind to the fact that although tourism took an awful knock because of the airport fiasco and global recession, tourism and the economy was fast on it's way to recovering nicely until the Reds decided to start a war.

Clamp down immediately, arrest the leaders, show the world you have the situation under control and maybe in another year both the economy and tourism can recover from this deplorable situation it now faces.

New Elections can start that ball rolling tomorrow. Somebody just need the testicals to say do it and let thing return to normal.

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

But why stay in BKK at all??? Jump in a Taxi to Pattaya as soon as you arrive......................anything in BKK can be done in Pattaya, cheaper, cleaner, safer..............

New Elections can start that ball rolling tomorrow. Somebody just need the testicals to say do it and let thing return to normal.

As you already suggested, this will only bring out the other side and around and around we go.

really ? what a surprise ...

I guess some more businesses that depends on tourism will be RIP soon(er than a bit later)

what will be the incentive to come here with your family and possibly get killed by accident ?

come here and see the red ...???

and phuket maffia scammers must be rubbing their hands now... more people to scam with taxi, ...

following thai logic : prices in hotels and restaurants will increase (for farang only...)

I can already hear them think (kinda tick, tock) : farang, you pay more, for security

I left my car at phuket airport for 4 days (during my travel to Malaysia) They charged me THB 1000 for parking. This is in no relation to the costs for a flight. Before it was THB 60 per day, so I guess the rip off started already

It seems totally pointless to keep seeking money for "stimuation" of tourists. The images and news stories that foriegners see (for free) on the evening news will have far more impact that any money spent on a stimulous. Until the situation unfolds and stability returns these various stimulous packages are almost a waste of time.

May not be "pointless" if you owned the company hired to do the "stimulation." LOL This is Land of Scams (LOS) is it not?

Maybe they can bill Sonthi who is the man behind the problems. He let himself off the hook by imposing a new constitution on the people, but a civil suit must be possible.

I feel sorry that abhisit does not have the courage to step down, he feels obviously too big to say that he can't handle the situation. Numerous diplomats already expressed their amazement with the fact that Abhisit and his boss Suthep do not hand over the mess that they have created to another team. Calling demonstrators Terrorists would not help either to promote tourism.

Maybe they can bill Sonthi who is the man behind the problems. He let himself off the hook by imposing a new constitution on the people, but a civil suit must be possible.

I feel sorry that abhisit does not have the courage to step down, he feels obviously too big to say that he can't handle the situation. Numerous diplomats already expressed their amazement with the fact that Abhisit and his boss Suthep do not hand over the mess that they have created to another team. Calling demonstrators Terrorists would not help either to promote tourism.

I think you would agree that mom and pop protester with handclapper is different than armed guards?

Yeah, Red shirts, I wish I could come right now to join them

.....at least they know what they want...

Taksin is the answer my dear ftiends.... Am I right? or Am I wrright...long live Isan, and its people

RedPhanFa2Day Reports from Don Mueng r that soldiers shot soldiers. Not clear if accidental or not. Leaders adamant #redshirts carried no firearms

AndrewHurd BBC Rachel Harvey reporting death was from friendly fire

http://twitter.com/AndrewHurd

According to the leaders, the reds didn't have firearms on April 10 either. That wasn't exactly true.

Hardly surprising seeing UK foreign office say 'emergency travel only'

Travel agents no longer allowed to sell holidays to Thailand, have to offer refunds on existing bookings.

Travel insurance for Thailand cancelled by the insurance companies if you do insist on coming.

Who in their right mind would come now?

It's comments like that, that cause even more Fear Uncertanty and Doubt than necessary! The Foreign Office are a bunch of chinless wimps - most of 'em probably don't even know where Thailand is! Travel Agents are a waste of space - real travellers have no truck with them. If you're that much of a coward to avoid a whole country because part of the capital is a no-go area, then stay at home wrapped in cotton wool!! Remember people, it's NOT all of Thailand and the airport is a long way from Bangkok. I will concede the insurance might be an issue - up to you!

If I didn't HAVE to go back to UK to earn some money next month, I'd happily stay here in Pattaya and/or Phuket!

Rant over!!! :):D

I would think down more than this, but I guess the travel agents say everything OK if you want to go holiday Phukett or some where like that. It won't surprise me if reds start messing with Phukett and try to ruin all the tourism here soon.

The average number of arrivals is now about 20,000 a day, down from 30,000 prior to the start of protests at the Pan Fah Bridge on March 14, Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa said yesterday.

This is a misleading figure as well - as it is not comparing like with like. One would expect a natural tail off of arrivals as the low season moves in. It would be better to compare daily arrivals this month with daily arrivals this month last year (or an average for this month each year). I would have expected numbers to decline from March to April even with no red-shirts welcoming people to Thailand via the daily news.

add to that the 6 day no flying ban in europe and UK due to iceland volcano,and it paints a bleak picture.there again if i was an isaan farmer scraping together 200 baht a day to survive,lack of tourists would n't be high on my list of things to worry about.

But aren't the "reds" paying more than that?

Be like your for-fathers, no wimps there, where's your ozzy grit, just get on with, stuff em all and be a bit adventurous. :)

Agreed - see my post above - Here! Pattaya is great and safe NOW, this minute! Phuket was great and safe last week and my friends there say same same. Come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by VBF

difference is Yellows did not fire grenades into the sky train stations and start killing people

Edited by Rainmon

Bangkok papers now say CRES will not allow Reds to leave Rajaprasong for other Bangkok locations. CRES have increased security forces and checkpoints at Rajaprasong to prevent this.

A picture tells a 1,000 words as two trucks full loaded with generators, speakers and Kwai Daeng simply 'leave' unimpeded!

good idea, seal them in there and let them starve for a while, then build some internment camps outside Bangkok and bus them all out of here...