Thai Forces Fire Warning Shots In Standoff With Red Shirts

webfact

I'm a little sick of hearing the redshirts this and the redshirts that. This is democracy in motion. If a ruling party refuses to openly compromise then the outcome can be violent. People here are passionate about their country. I admire them for that. They are willing to give their life for what they believe in. You whiners that think your opinion matters are just adding to the problem. The Thai people have a leader they believe is illegitimate and they are acting as such.

Many years ago our countries did the same thing the Thai are doing now. GIVE THEM SOME SLACK!!! Your opinion as a farang means nothing but your trivial rhetoric may create discontent that isn't needed. We are bystanders. Pay some respect and allow the process to come to it's conclusion. It is coming soon. I believe we will have a better country that we are visiting than the one that exists now.

Good Post Mate

your Spot on

Naw... I can't vote but my wife can and right now she's mad enough to take on the Reds herself.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes please stay home where your voice will never be heard...

Dont you understand we are being inconvenienced by your sit in......

What is more important you demonstrating for your country and democracy....... or my annoyance with your BKK presence?

Red shirt people i understand you might want to ask for political changes or democracy...

You actually have the right to ask for whaever you want...but please do it from home and stop coming to bkk and annoy thousand of people who tries to do their work, this not good for you, this not good for us, this not good for thailand.

SO ask for whatever you want but please stay home and start doing some work or the country is heading to an economic crash...

The dead soldier is a war casualty, simply as that. Without the red insurgency, he would be alive. Period.

Theres alot of blood on their hands JT. Its a tragedy & hopefully these criminals are brought to justice in due course.

More blood on the Red's hands.

Your sumit else mate

the military guy shot in the head was by friendly fire let me spell that out for you

that means he was shot by his own men not red shirts

Please let me know where BBC and CNN got the info from. I mean, did they fly in their own CSI crackteam and solved it within minutes of it happening or did they just restate whatever their 'friend' told them to write, like in a few other cases recently?

The dead soldier is a war casualty, simply as that. Without the red insurgency, he would be alive. Period.

Theres alot of blood on their hands JT. Its a tragedy & hopefully these criminals are brought to justice in due course.

If Abhisit had called for fresh elections, he would be alive too.

Tricky situation, isn't it?

I agree but the goverment will never proscecute themselves for the blood on there hands

Your sumit else mate

the military guy shot in the head was by friendly fire let me spell that out for you

Please let me know where BBC and CNN got the info from. I mean, did they fly in their own CSI crackteam and solved it within minutes of it happening or did they just restate whatever their 'friend' told them to write, like in a few other cases recently?

I believe Arwa Damon from CNN was standing right by the army when it happened. BBC got it from CNN. Matichon has now confirmed it. It's hard to believe, isn't it?

Your sumit else mate

BBC has a woman reporter onsite been reporting all day from the middle of the action just watch BBC and you will know

Edited by FarangCravings

It's just sad that people refuse to inform themselves properly, then make statements that are hateful. :)

the soldier died because the red mob tried to brake throw military baricades. He died because of red violence.

That'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. :D People are protesting; government is failing miserably to either begin a solution OR deal with it competently.

What you really are saying is that you support the violence from the red shirts?

And the Award for Putting Words in Peoples Mouths goes to.....................

Congrats!

Your sumit else mate

They are grandstanding... you know.

I'm a little sick of hearing the redshirts this and the redshirts that. This is democracy in motion. If a ruling party refuses to openly compromise then the outcome can be violent. People here are passionate about their country. I admire them for that. They are willing to give their life for what they believe in. You whiners that think your opinion matters are just adding to the problem. The Thai people have a leader they believe is illegitimate and they are acting as such.

Many years ago our countries did the same thing the Thai are doing now. GIVE THEM SOME SLACK!!! Your opinion as a farang means nothing but your trivial rhetoric may create discontent that isn't needed. We are bystanders. Pay some respect and allow the process to come to it's conclusion. It is coming soon. I believe we will have a better country that we are visiting than the one that exists now.

Well said.....I second the motion

ask any of the protesters to name the members of parliament, their positions etc..

Guess you'd only hear Thaksin and Abhisit, maybe some remember Kasit and Korn. :) Oh, and Arisaman the culture Minister.

Can you name all the members of your government? I think not. I cannot for my country. These people know that something is wrong and they want to make it right. Again, repeating myself, I admire them for that.

Both CNN and BBC know that something very big is about to happen in Bangkok. They're not sending their top reporters over here for nothing, believe me.

They want something big to happen... and they are determined to skew the reporting to make it happen.

TAN Network: Soldiers back away from further confrontation allowing reds to return to Ratchprasong

that might sound like a bad call but these boys will go back to the others and tell them just how scary that confrontation was and there will be less reds returning to the site tomorrow

they won't be quite so cocky either.....

Both CNN and BBC know that something very big is about to happen in Bangkok. They're not sending their top reporters over here for nothing, believe me.

They want something big to happen... and they are determined to skew the reporting to make it happen.

Pathetic comment

You know that's nonsense. :)

TAN Network: Soldiers back away from further confrontation allowing reds to return to Ratchprasong

that might sound like a bad call but these boys will go back to the others and tell them just how scary that confrontation was and there will be less reds returning to the site tomorrow

And some may decide they have more important business elsewhere as they make their way back.

If Abhisit had called for fresh elections, he would be alive too.

Tricky situation, isn't it?

deadsnoopy,

You are comparing apples and oranges. :)

How bout we talk about those that are breaking the law and those who are not.

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

Thailand crisis: Red-shirt protesters and troops clash

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

He's probably right about that. So what's taking him so long to (re)start this political solution?? Never mind which side (or no side) you support, Abhisit is failing miserably as a leader. (or even as the establishment's spokesperson).

Tell us Winnie -------- how could YOU do better? Abhisit has been patient and tolerant and maintained some semblance of normalcy. The reds escalate in the hopes of creating enough blood on the streets to force a change of governent. The reds have failed so far and Abhisit has maintained his cool .... I hope that they continue to play it as cool as they have.

I would have engaged Phua Thai (possibly but not necessarily including the Red leadership) and come to an agreement on elections. Abhisit has already suggested 9 months, the Reds want 1 month. Enough of this BS already and negotiate something that saves some face all around and gets to elections in half a year or so. Note that not just a timeline needs to be on the table, but also the conditions of the election, or even constitution amendments prior to the election. At the same time, any violent elements in the Red protests need to be brought to justice.

(Sadly even this statement above some people will see as Red.. that's just sad. There is a clear path forward but Abhisit is unwilling (though more likely: unable) to take it. )

And some may decide they have more important business elsewhere as they make their way back.

Yep. I'm quite sure that there will be no red shirts left by tomorrow morning. All gone home. Political problem solved!

First the police/soldiers gas themselves now they shoot one of their own.

No wonder Abhisit is blocking an independant enquiry into the killings of 10th April

where most victims were civilians.

Regardless of who the good guys are I know that if my goverment was overthrown by a

military coup and subsequent elected goverments thrown out by a newly installed judiciary

then I would be on the streets demanding fair elections.

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations."

He's probably right about that. So what's taking him so long to (re)start this political solution?? Never mind which side (or no side) you support, Abhisit is failing miserably as a leader. (or even as the establishment's spokesperson).

They want a Parliament that fairly reflects their majority interests. The Red Shirts are protesting because the rural and urban poor--most Thai citizens--have little influence over how the nation is governed. The authoritarian Yellow Shirts would take to the streets because they don't want to give up the disproportionate power they wield. Anti-democratic forces are going to try to disrupt free elections because they know they'll lose.

More and more reports are coming in of soldiers shooting other soldiers. In fact, in the case of the soldier reported killed earlier today near Don Muang, one report describes him as an officer.

This is potentially a key development if true. It is clear that with the massive number of new Reds infiltrating BKK since the end of Songkran and with army convoys and trains blocked outside of BKK, that now what had been protests are now better described as an open revolt.

If this keeps escalating, the next logical stage would be open rebellion/insurrection, and one sure fire way of gauging that are soldiers firing on other soldiers. If that is really happening, violence will escalate exponentially. It still wont be civil war, though, and i sure hope no reason to panic. but certainly foreign residents will start to ask themselves hard questions about why they are still here.

In light of these developements, any tourist who comes here now is nothing more than a thrill seeker.

I would have engaged Phua Thai (possibly but not necessarily including the Red leadership) and come to an agreement on elections. Abhisit has already suggested 9 months, the Reds want 1 month. Enough of this BS already and negotiate something that saves some face all around and gets to elections in half a year or so. Note that not just a timeline needs to be on the table, but also the conditions of the election, or even constitution amendments prior to the election. At the same time, any violent elements in the Red protests need to be brought to justice.

(Sadly even this statement above some people will see as Red.. that's just sad. There is a clear path forward but Abhisit is unwilling (though more likely: unable) to take it. )

Incorrect. The red shirts have said that 3 months for new elections would be acceptable to them and they would disperse immediately if Abhisit agreed. He declined.

Or it could have the opposite affect?? I do hope not..

Your sumit else mate

BBC has a woman reporter onsite been reporting all day from the middle of the action just watch BBC and you will know

No silly, only The Nation is the unbiased and unblemished source of truth! :)

Tell us Winnie -------- how could YOU do better? Abhisit has been patient and tolerant and maintained some semblance of normalcy. The reds escalate in the hopes of creating enough blood on the streets to force a change of governent. The reds have failed so far and Abhisit has maintained his cool .... I hope that they continue to play it as cool as they have.

EXACTLY

I wish the reds had the sense to walk away. Nation is reporting that roads around the protesters are being closed. There is speculation that there will soon be an attempt to disperse them. I was at Sala Daeng today and there is a lot of firepower in the area. If the situation boils over and the army opens fire on the protesters they have no chance. To this point the army has been very reluctant to shoot protesters with live ammo. If that attitude changes the reds will be in real trouble. Just walk away reds, just walk away.