Thai Forces Fire Warning Shots In Standoff With Red Shirts

webfact

No matter what spin anyone wants to put on this or who they try to blame, the Govt , the army, navy, air force, police, yellows, fish in the sea or whatever there is one inescapable undeniable fact.

If the reds had not made a conscious decision to go there and impede and intimidate people going about their normal business none of it would have happened, no one would be in hospital arrested or dead.

So there you have it the root of the trouble was the decision by the reds to be there everything that came after was a consequence of that decision.

Did you notice that the brave commander of the reds shot through to hide behind the granny shield at the first sign of trouble. Indeed a leader worth following.

The problem is: most people don't want to be inconvenienced and that is what you are saying. "I understand you plight but please don't inconvenience me." Yes, people wanting a better life make problems for other people but inevitably improve the quality of life for all.

I'm told Pol Pot didn't. Thought he was fighting a corrupt, feudal system blind to the democratic rights of the poor rural population. I'm told he had a thing about elites too - they were they one's wearing glasses.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was watching Thai tv 3. Shwoing reds throwing rocks and sticks at the police and them doing nothing. They should just go in and end it

in lees than an hour Annapour's interview with Abhisit on CNN

Lets see if he chokes on the questions again

wont be tough like Hardtalk though it is CNN

there was satellite time delay that made him look hesitant but he did not choke even under the rude and brusque questioning by Zeinab Badawai, who is obviously still pissed off that he made her look like an amatuer the last time they met across the Hardtalk table

she equates tough with rude and poses questions in such an arrogant way that would be insulting to any normal person

its clear she is weak in this environment and tries so hard to be unnaturally tough, it becomes an arduous journey for the interviewee and the audience

i have seen her interview other major figures and she comes over as demanding and at times downright rude

Stephen Sackur is much more effective, he asks probing questions without being bombastic and gets to the answers from the interviewee without having to resort to being disrespectful

Time delay was the reason :):D:D yeah ok

i think that the BBC broadcast was on Shin 1

CNN is on a decent satellite

Abhisit is much more confident on Annapour and she is a lot more respectful in her attitude to him

by comparison, she makes Zeinab Badawai look like a junior hack on a regional news broadcaster.

tell me that's not so.............

i expect you will.

Edited by timekeeper

You're an idiot. This is hardly "democracy in motion". This is a mob of pissed off people overthrowing a government. That's not democracy. You know, at first I felt somewhat supportive of the red-shirts, but not anymore. Due to their actions, do you seriously believe these are people who are going to be content with nothing more than free & fair elections? I very highly doubt that, and their actions have very much proven otherwise.

I think this is actually starting to get pretty serious though. You have to remember, it was only a simple 35 years ago that Pol Pot was in charge of Cambodia, and killing millions of his fellow country men. Up to this date, the red shirts have given pretty strong indications that they're capable of doing the same type of thing. Some of them seem to have become quite demented, and at the point where they despise anyone who has more money than them.

No matter how you cut it, or what side you support, this isn't good. Let's hope it resolves itself with as little bloodshed as possible, and things don't turn into total anarchy. Don't be fooled into thinking that anarchy and a 100% reversal of power & governance can't happen though.

If it is not democracy, then what is it? How was democracy inevitably achieved in your country? Most democracies did not start that way, the people had to fight to gain liberties. I would guess through force, because most ruling governments that do not represent the people end up in some type reaction from the people.

In Canada, democracy was achieved quite peacefully, actually. Nonetheless, that doesn't matter, because well, it's Canada. I'm currently living in Issan myself, and at the beginning felt quite supportive of the red shirts. I felt for their plight, and thought their demands were very legitimate and reasonable. That's changed now though, as they've completely crossed the line. Peacefully protesting is one thing, but trying to overthrow the current government with a blood thirsty vengeance is another thing.

There is a line, and the red shirts have more than crossed it now. For example, civilians can't just setup checkpoints around the country, and search and seize vehicles as they see fit. People who cross the line in such a way aren't looking for democracy. They're looking for power, and to dictate their ideologies on everyone else. As it stands, I honestly do hope the current government has the means, capability, and will to crackdown on the protesters. If the red shirts win this ordeal, Thailand isn't going to be a pretty sight.

If the red shirts manage to overthrow the government, don't expect them to be civil about it, and say, "Great! Now let's all get along, and hold free & fair elections". Not gonna happen.

Edited by cdnmatt

Thai soldier shot, court to consider dissolving ruling party ...

By RFI

Thailand's Constitutional Court has agreed to hear a case brought by the Election Commission alleging misuse of funds by the ruling party. The government is locked in a standoff with Red Shirt protesters, which Wednesday turned violent when a soldier was shot in the head.

A soldier was shot in the head Wednesday in a confrontation Red Shirt protesters in near Bangkok's Don Mueang airport. Sixteen people were hospitalised for injuries.

The status of the soldier is unclear, according to an army spokesperson.

Some 2,000 protesters, who support deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawattra, had left their fortified base in trucks and motorbikes and were confronted by 900 soldiers and police officers.

The leader of the Red Shirts, Nattawut Saikuarm, told reporters the convoy was going to offer support to people in an area where protesters had been arrested Monday for trying to block troops from entering the city.

"We will offer moral support to the residents," Nattawut said. "We will go to meet and talk to people along the route."

Army spokesperson Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said Tuesday that security forces were waiting "for the right time" to retake the protesters fortified area in the centre of the capital's commercial district.

Wednesday morning the country's Constitutional Court agreed to hear a case against thePrime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's ruling Democrat party.

"At a meeting this morning the court accepted the case against the Democrats filed by the Election Commission," a court official said Wednesday.

The Democrats will be asked to provide a written defence, though no timeline has been set for the case.

The Court has agreed to hear allegations that the party misused an Election Commission grant. The Commission also alleges the party received an illegal political donation in 2005, a complaint that is to be sent to the Attorney General next month.

Oopps :)

No matter what spin anyone wants to put on this or who they try to blame, the Govt , the army, navy, air force, police, yellows, fish in the sea or whatever there is one inescapable undeniable fact.

If the reds had not made a conscious decision to go there and impede and intimidate people going about their normal business none of it would have happened, no one would be in hospital arrested or dead.

So there you have it the root of the trouble was the decision by the reds to be there everything that came after was a consequence of that decision.

Did you notice that the brave commander of the reds shot through to hide behind the granny shield at the first sign of trouble. Indeed a leader worth following.

The problem is: most people don't want to be inconvenienced and that is what you are saying. "I understand you plight but please don't inconvenience me." Yes, people wanting a better life make problems for other people but inevitably improve the quality of life for all.

I'm told Pol Pot didn't. Thought he was fighting a corrupt, feudal system blind to the democratic rights of the poor rural population. I'm told he had a thing about elites too - they were they one's wearing glasses.

Elites under Pol Pot were defined as anyone with a 6th grade education or more :)

CNN interview is lame and she is not asking the right questions

nice laid back interview for him

It's not live. I seen it hours ago

below amanpour's twitters

This article says the “danger for Thailand is that people on both sides want to escalate the crisis” http://bit.ly/ct61kf What do you think?

about 17 hours ago via web

@PM_Abhisit told me his he is afraid of a civil war breaking out. The complete interview tonight on CNN @ 2100 CET / 2000 Hong Kong

about 21 hours ago via TweetDeck

QUOTE (Robby nz @ 2010-04-28 18:56:25)

The problem is: most people don't want to be inconvenienced and that is what you are saying. "I understand you plight but please don't inconvenience me." Yes, people wanting a better life make problems for other people but inevitably improve the quality of life for all

Well Mark its probably a little more than inconvenience try asking the family of the dead soldier how inconvienienced they are.

One certain upshot of the current cluster F..., is that no matter who comes out on top, Thailand is going to be saddled with a set of extremely draconian laws regulating/restricting public protest. I'm talking Singapore draconian. It will be the Yellow and Red bequeathment to democratic expression in the Land of Grimaces. Go team(s)!

Possibly. Especially if the reds win. I believe the reds will mean the end of any hope for democracy for Thailand. If they gain power, it is over, they will never let it go. Just like the one party Chinese system.

The face of Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela held up to the international public, but above their beds it's the portrait of Sarit. :)

Both BBC and CNN have said that the soldier that died was shot from behind in the head by police forces.

A BBC reporter is stating that it "appears" a soldier died from friendly fire. That assumption is not supported by any facts. Until something is proven it still could be from either side.

Im sure you will find a way to blame the Reds for the killing

regardless, the images on the b+post thai website clearly shows the reds shooting 'large' fireworks at the police...that in itself shows how peaceful they are.

Of course! I would too if the army of my country was killing people with "rubber bullets". Seems their training is so crap that they are killing each other, not civilians - at the moment... Or was that the watermelons who did that?

Anyway why ask for facts when the government has tried to silence any dissenting voice - publications, TV, political scientists and websites? Anyone who still supports this Fascist government needs counselling with something like a baseball bat...

More blood on the Red's hands.

Your sumit else mate

the military guy shot in the head was by friendly fire let me spell that out for you

that means he was shot by his own men not red shirts

Please let me know where BBC and CNN got the info from. I mean, did they fly in their own CSI crackteam and solved it within minutes of it happening or did they just restate whatever their 'friend' told them to write, like in a few other cases recently?

They are grandstanding... you know.

their "friend", gordon bown, told them to divert attention away from the election debates in th uk...cos brown is losing sorely.

that's why all these i said, he said, she said...

i saw, she saw, he saw....

Elites under Pol Pot were defined as anyone with a 6th grade education or more :D

And glasses :)

Anyone who still supports this Fascist government needs counselling with something like a baseball bat...

In true 'Red Shirt democracy' spirit he proclaims it...

Indeed, so many shockingly naive foreigners STILL showing sympathy for the ANTI-DEMOCRACY red shirt violent insurgency.

The reds know if they take power, the yellows and anti-reds (which combined are an OVERWHELMING majority of Thais) will immediately try to win it back, probably using illegal tactics, justified by the same kind of face/double standard rationale the reds are using now (they are all Thai after all). That is why the reds will rule with an iron fist of brutality to prevent that. Again, the exact OPPOSITE of democracy.

Edited by Jingthing

I typically keep my mouth shut on matters of this site but it seems that most are talking out their ass (emotionally) instead of talking with their brains (logically). Why is it wrong to speak your mind? The reds or even the yellows have the right to speak their minds. There are literally thousands of people that visit this site. There is a responsibility in that statement and we should act accordingly . We represent the foreigners. In my mind, isn't this one of the most profound moments in Thai history? The outcome of this demonstration (rebellion) could easily dertermine the future of Thailand, therefore; producing an environment that could easily transform Thailand into a logical thinking country with an improved future. Don't we all want that? I do. I am willing to take that chance, stand back and not shoot my mouth. We can exploit the women here, and obtain jobs here and maybe don't we really give a shh_it about the country. I hope you do. I do. I see this as a moment in Thai history where the people have an opportunity to establish what we have all enjoyed: real democracy. Maybe this is a road to a real environment of the absence of corruption. Who knows, but I see this as a chance for change. Step back. Let this happen. I believe we will not be disappointed.

Anyone who still supports this Fascist government needs counselling with something like a baseball bat...

Indeed, so many shockingly naive foreigners STILL showing sympathy for the ANTI-DEMOCRACY red shirt violent insurgency.

Seems like you are the naive one

Well, the government needs to go in and 'scold' the naughty red children. Spare the rod and you spoil the child!

hmmmmm...brilliant deduction - don't protest or complain and there will be no problems...!

(From the Land of the Long White Cloud,where men can be Really men,but the sheep are Really scared!!!!)

By RFI

Thailand's Constitutional Court has agreed to hear a case brought by the Election Commission alleging misuse of funds by the ruling party. The government is locked in a standoff with Red Shirt protesters, which Wednesday turned violent when a soldier was shot in the head.

A soldier was shot in the head Wednesday in a confrontation Red Shirt protesters in near Bangkok's Don Mueang airport. Sixteen people were hospitalised for injuries.

Some 2,000 protesters, who support deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawattra, had left their fortified base in trucks and motorbikes and were confronted by 900 soldiers and police officers.

The leader of the Red Shirts, Nattawut Saikuarm, told reporters the convoy was going to offer support to people in an area where protesters had been arrested Monday for trying to block troops from entering the city.

"We will offer moral support to the residents," Nattawut said. "We will go to meet and talk to people along the route."

Army spokesperson Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said Tuesday that security forces were waiting "for the right time" to retake the protesters fortified area in the centre of the capital's commercial district.

Wednesday morning the country's Constitutional Court agreed to hear a case against thePrime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's ruling Democrat party.

"At a meeting this morning the court accepted the case against the Democrats filed by the Election Commission," a court official said Wednesday.

The Democrats will be asked to provide a written defence, though no timeline has been set for the case.

The Court has agreed to hear allegations that the party misused an Election Commission grant. The Commission also alleges the party received an illegal political donation in 2005, a complaint that is to be sent to the Attorney General next month.

oops?? have you got a link to the source of that oops?

Did someone say they don't have weapons?

I have no problem with people like that being shot anyone with a gun being shot but I have also seen videos of unarmed innocent reds shot in the head by the military

theres no doubt some are armed but when you meet violence with violence you get blood

The right way is to take away there ammunition and that is easy just hold an free and fair election JOB DONE everyone goes home and the rightful leaders will win the election

The PAD will visit 40 army camps tomorrow and submit letters to ask the army to restore law and order.

I haven't expected anything else.

Thaksin and the PAD leaders are in bed together. Thaksin has burned his followers for his own gain. At the end and when that comes to happen it is only PAD, the coup leaders and Thaksin who will gain further amnesty and kinda immunity before the law.

Common folks will foot the bill.

THE NATION: Tension has cooled off btw troops and reds. We don't xpect more excitement tonite.

What more evidence do you need? Get ready folks - tonight's the night it will all go off.

Yep the Nation has spoken and we should go with the opposite of what they report so yes tonights the night

By RFI

oops?? have you got a link to the source of that oops?

http://www.english.rfi.fr/asia-pacific/201...ai-ruling-party

hmmmmm...brilliant deduction - don't protest or complain and there will be no problems...!

(From the Land of the Long White Cloud,where men can be Really men,but the sheep are Really scared!!!!)

"hmmmmm...brilliant deduction - don't protest or complain and there will be no problems...!"

You think the current armed occupation of the city centre and checkpoints stopping and searching citizens around the country is "protest" and "complaint"? I'd call that a category mistake.