Thai Forces Fire Warning Shots In Standoff With Red Shirts

webfact

We had an eye witness report from a poster about the fake monks hiding weapons here on TV. In any case, it is surely a FACT that some red shirts are carrying lethal weapons. Also, spears, Molotov cocktails, and slingshots can kill as well. Red shirt apologists, please desist from any further silliness of painting the reds as innocents in Bangkok. Sure, they are USING some innocents to shield themselves for cowardly protection and propaganda purposes. AL QUEDA does the same!

There are reports from journalists visiting the "red fort" abour guards in black with lethal weapons

Dont post BS unless you post the source too

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that Abhisit is rather the spokesman of the army than a PM. He's the decoration to cover the army's mistake in 2006. Especially Anupong as a member of the coup leadership and who should be out of office since over a year now, they used loopholes to keep him longer and to sort it out by slowly going back to a democratic level without losing face or getting charges laid for their illegal coup. Sad but true.

Right now I hear massive shootings and sounds like coming from grenades. Far away from where I am.

More blood on the Red's hands.

Your sumit else mate

the guy shot in the head was by friendly fire let me spell that out for you

that means he was shot by his own men not red shirts

And of course, you have a source and evidence for that statement....

Stray Bullet from military

We had an eye witness report from a poster about the fake monks hiding weapons here on TV. In any case, it is surely a FACT that some red shirts are carrying lethal weapons. Also, spears, Molotov cocktails, and slingshots can kill as well. Red shirt apologists, please desist from any further silliness of painting the reds as innocents in Bangkok. Sure, they are USING some innocents to shield themselves for cowardly protection and propaganda purposes. AL QUEDA does the same!

There are reports from journalists visiting the "red fort" abour guards in black with lethal weapons

I don't doubt there are people with more serious weapons, either Red or another side wanting to cause chaos; these people need to be brought to justice, as part of a negotiated way forward. Realistically though they'll walk free as they're likely army elements anyway and the army doesn't want its dirty laundry out in public.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wonder if it's time to re-evaluate the dangers of rubber bullets. If my count is right, 26 people have now died and over 800 have been injured by rubber bullets. Maybe live ammunition should be used instead...maybe it's less dangerous.

:)

I dout if Rubber bullets are being used! Maybe, I’m a little out of date with this, but rubber bullets went out in the late 70’s, with the British forces any way, and yes I know the Thai forces are equipped with American gear and follow the American blue print for battle planning and use of the military forces. Maybe some American with some knowledge on this can post.

But from what I know the old type rubber bullets were very much open to being tampered with, to make them more deadly! The replacement is a weapon called a Baton gun it fires a nylon rounds that is about 40 cm Dia x 80 cm long, sealed to the cartridge and comes in two strengths, 25 grain and 45 grain. The 25g is used for general subduing of mobs, the 45g is the next step before using live round, and this puppy can easily kill, use a lot by search teams where bobby traps are suspected. How powerful are the 45g’s? From about 5 meters aimed at the hinges of a standard front door to a house.. It will blow the door off! The nylon round is designed to be fired directly at the body, chest area, the old rubber bullet gun, you aimed about a meter in front of the target, so it would travel from the floor up at the target.

I would think if the army is using this type of “baton gun” and these are the weapons responsible for the deaths, ether they are being used at very close range, 25g being used under 5 meters, being aimed at the head or using 45g………. Maybe all three!

Sorry but FLAME ON!

I have just read how this poor solider has become the victim of a negligent discharge from his own side. If true, the shooter should be tried for shooting this guy, accident my ass! Carrying a weapon carries responsibilities. And can someone please explain to me what “Friendly Fire” is? Let me guess this is a phrase first used by the Americans to try and explain the total disregard when letting loose with the ordinance when their own or allied troop who may just be in the same grid square as them, “shot first then just say sorry, “Friendly Fire” to make it all go away. Sorry! That dog don’t hunt with me, I would not like to be in the same room when his mother is told, “Your son’s dead, it was friendly fire”

Flame off!

And no……..I have no animosity to Americans what so ever.

It is true that Abhisit is rather the spokesman of the army than a PM. He's the decoration to cover the army's mistake in 2006. Especially Anupong as a member of the coup leadership and who should be out of office since over a year now, they used loopholes to keep him longer and to sort it out by slowly going back to a democratic level without losing face or getting charges laid for their illegal coup. Sad but true.

Right now I hear massive shootings and sounds like coming from grenades. Far away from where I am.

And where are you?

Dont post BS unless you post the source too

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article7032071.ab

post-39751-1272455606_thumb.jpg

proof

I'm a little sick of hearing the redshirts this and the redshirts that. This is democracy in motion. If a ruling party refuses to openly compromise then the outcome can be violent. People here are passionate about their country. I admire them for that. They are willing to give their life for what they believe in. You whiners that think your opinion matters are just adding to the problem. The Thai people have a leader they believe is illegitimate and they are acting as such.

Many years ago our countries did the same thing the Thai are doing now. GIVE THEM SOME SLACK!!! Your opinion as a farang means nothing but your trivial rhetoric may create discontent that isn't needed. We are bystanders. Pay some respect and allow the process to come to it's conclusion. It is coming soon. I believe we will have a better country that we are visiting than the one that exists now.

BS. A large swathe are doing this for one reason, the money. It's got eff all to do with love for one's country. Oh, and the last time I looked, this was an online forum for expats on, wait for it... THAILAND. A lot of us have invested time and energy and have families here so deserve to have an opinion do we not. I take it you also think Thais living in the West 10 or 20 years are not allowed to have an opinion there also? It may all turn out to be hunky-dory, but then again it may go totally ass backwards and the Muang Thai you know and love today could be a distant memory.

And where are you?

near National Stadium Ramkhamhaeng. The sounds stopped after about 2 minutes altogether. It sounded, probably through the weather condition pretty clear but obviously from far away.

No matter what spin anyone wants to put on this or who they try to blame, the Govt , the army, navy, air force, police, yellows, fish in the sea or whatever there is one inescapable undeniable fact.

If the reds had not made a conscious decision to go there and impede and intimidate people going about their normal business none of it would have happened, no one would be in hospital arrested or dead.

So there you have it the root of the trouble was the decision by the reds to be there everything that came after was a consequence of that decision.

Did you notice that the brave commander of the reds shot through to hide behind the granny shield at the first sign of trouble. Indeed a leader worth following.

I'm a little sick of hearing the redshirts this and the redshirts that. This is democracy in motion. If a ruling party refuses to openly compromise then the outcome can be violent. People here are passionate about their country. I admire them for that. They are willing to give their life for what they believe in. You whiners that think your opinion matters are just adding to the problem. The Thai people have a leader they believe is illegitimate and they are acting as such.

Many years ago our countries did the same thing the Thai are doing now. GIVE THEM SOME SLACK!!! Your opinion as a farang means nothing but your trivial rhetoric may create discontent that isn't needed. We are bystanders. Pay some respect and allow the process to come to it's conclusion. It is coming soon. I believe we will have a better country that we are visiting than the one that exists now.

You're an idiot. This is hardly "democracy in motion". This is a mob of pissed off people overthrowing a government. That's not democracy. You know, at first I felt somewhat supportive of the red-shirts, but not anymore. Due to their actions, do you seriously believe these are people who are going to be content with nothing more than free & fair elections? I very highly doubt that, and their actions have very much proven otherwise.

I think this is actually starting to get pretty serious though. You have to remember, it was only a simple 35 years ago that Pol Pot was in charge of Cambodia, and killing millions of his fellow country men. Up to this date, the red shirts have given pretty strong indications that they're capable of doing the same type of thing. Some of them seem to have become quite demented, and at the point where they despise anyone who has more money than them.

No matter how you cut it, or what side you support, this isn't good. Let's hope it resolves itself with as little bloodshed as possible, and things don't turn into total anarchy. Don't be fooled into thinking that anarchy and a 100% reversal of power & governance can't happen though.

If it is not democracy, then what is it? How was democracy inevitably achieved in your country? Most democracies did not start that way, the people had to fight to gain liberties. I would guess through force, because most ruling governments that do not represent the people end up in some type reaction from the people.

Was watching Thai tv 3. Shwoing reds throwing rocks and sticks at the police and them doing nothing. They should just go in and end it

in lees than an hour Annapour's interview with Abhisit on CNN

Lets see if he chokes on the questions again

wont be tough like Hardtalk though it is CNN

there was satellite time delay that made him look hesitant but he did not choke even under the rude and brusque questioning by Zeinab Badawai, who is obviously still pissed off that he made her look like an amatuer the last time they met across the Hardtalk table

she equates tough with rude and poses questions in such an arrogant way that would be insulting to any normal person

its clear she is weak in this environment and tries so hard to be unnaturally tough, it becomes an arduous journey for the interviewee and the audience

i have seen her interview other major figures and she comes over as demanding and at times downright rude

Stephen Sackur is much more effective, he asks probing questions without being bombastic and gets to the answers from the interviewee without having to resort to being disrespectful

And where are you?

near National Stadium Ramkhamhaeng. The sounds stopped after about 2 minutes altogether. It sounded, probably through the weather condition pretty clear but obviously from far away.

Well it sounds like you're in a safe place :)

Was watching Thai tv 3. Shwoing reds throwing rocks and sticks at the police and them doing nothing. They should just go in and end it

in lees than an hour Annapour's interview with Abhisit on CNN

Lets see if he chokes on the questions again

wont be tough like Hardtalk though it is CNN

there was satellite time delay that made him look hesitant but he did not choke even under the rude and brusque questioning by Zeinab Badawai, who is obviously still pissed off that he made her look like an amatuer the last time they met across the Hardtalk table

she equates tough with rude and poses questions in such an arrogant way that would be insulting to any normal person

its clear she is weak in this environment and tries so hard to be unnaturally tough, it becomes an arduous journey for the interviewee and the audience

i have seen her interview other major figures and she comes over as demanding and at times downright rude

Stephen Sackur is much more effective, he asks probing questions without being bombastic and gets to the answers from the interviewee without having to resort to being disrespectful

Time delay was the reason :):D:D yeah ok

One certain upshot of the current cluster F..., is that no matter who comes out on top, Thailand is going to be saddled with a set of extremely draconian laws regulating/restricting public protest. I'm talking Singapore draconian. It will be the Yellow and Red bequeathment to democratic expression in the Land of Grimaces. Go team(s)!

No matter what spin anyone wants to put on this or who they try to blame, the Govt , the army, navy, air force, police, yellows, fish in the sea or whatever there is one inescapable undeniable fact.

If the reds had not made a conscious decision to go there and impede and intimidate people going about their normal business none of it would have happened, no one would be in hospital arrested or dead.

So there you have it the root of the trouble was the decision by the reds to be there everything that came after was a consequence of that decision.

Did you notice that the brave commander of the reds shot through to hide behind the granny shield at the first sign of trouble. Indeed a leader worth following.

The problem is: most people don't want to be inconvenienced and that is what you are saying. "I understand you plight but please don't inconvenience me." Yes, people wanting a better life make problems for other people but inevitably improve the quality of life for all.

I'm feeling less and less for the red shirts. I think this will all end by the time the rainy season starts. Reds will go home to tend to their farms. The government only has to hold out one more month. I hope the rainy season comes early.

Rain is almost here, i see big rain clouds overhead + im at sukhumvit close to red, hopefully this will do what the government could not and stop this violence once and for all

One certain upshot of the current cluster F..., is that no matter who comes out on top, Thailand is going to be saddled with a set of extremely draconian laws regulating/restricting public protest. I'm talking Singapore draconian. It will be the Yellow and Red bequeathment to democratic expression in the Land of Grimaces. Go team(s)!

Possibly. Especially if the reds win. I believe the reds will mean the end of any hope for democracy for Thailand. If they gain power, it is over, they will never let it go. Just like the one party Chinese system.

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

Thailand crisis: Red-shirt protesters and troops clash

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

This is one the biggest red herrings in the overall argument for not holding an election in 90 days.

What evidence is there that the yellow shirts have any decent numbers in the support base beyond Bangkok ? I simply don't believe they have such big numbers! All the yellows and Abhisit do is come with every reason under the sun why there cannot be an election while people are being killed.

But it is reasonable to assume that a large proportion of the 22 million in Isaan are red supporters ? Sure the PAD might put up a fight after they lose ( which they will ) but I am sure they can be contained !

"But it is reasonable to assume that a large proportion of the 22 million in Isaan are red supporters ?" Only if you are a redshirt apologist. On another thread, a link was posted to a Khon Kaen Uni study which showed that 50% of the population of KK DID NOT want a house dissolution. If you don't have a clear majority in Isaan, what hope have you anywhere else? How is a extrapolated 11,000,000 a big enough % of the population to demand elections?

Soldiers ahve armed themselve up to the teeth for offensive drive. Reds have home made stuff and bamboo poles for defense. Don't let the soldiers become cowards hitting unarmed people. Why no talk offered?

Nice try. Nobody believes the reds don't have lethal weapons on them. Reportedly some of their fake monks are hiding them under their robes.

That would make for a great picture. If it was true. :) . You're posting rumours.

"fake monks" with arms?

that's new and should be newsy no?

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

He's probably right about that. So what's taking him so long to (re)start this political solution?? Never mind which side (or no side) you support, Abhisit is failing miserably as a leader. (or even as the establishment's spokesperson).

Ahh wouldn't be to sure about that . He has given the reds time to piss everyone off & more & more people that were sympathetic to the reds (or Taksins selfishness) Now most just want them out so they can return to a normal life in Bangkok.

To bad their fight is about Takis precious money & not 1 bit for democracy.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations." http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

This is one the biggest red herrings in the overall argument for not holding an election in 90 days.

What evidence is there that the yellow shirts have any decent numbers in the support base beyond Bangkok ? I simply don't believe they have such big numbers! All the yellows and Abhisit do is come with every reason under the sun why there cannot be an election while people are being killed.

But it is reasonable to assume that a large proportion of the 22 million in Isaan are red supporters ? Sure the PAD might put up a fight after they lose ( which they will ) but I am sure they can be contained !

"But it is reasonable to assume that a large proportion of the 22 million in Isaan are red supporters ?" Only if you are a redshirt apologist. On another thread, a link was posted to a Khon Kaen Uni study which showed that 50% of the population of KK DID NOT want a house dissolution. If you don't have a clear majority in Isaan, what hope have you anywhere else? How is a extrapolated 11,000,000 a big enough % of the population to demand elections?

Agreed

Both CNN and BBC know that something very big is about to happen in Bangkok. They're not sending their top reporters over here for nothing, believe me.

Wait, did you just try to pretend that BBC's Rachel Harvey is their top reporter in the region?

Both CNN and BBC know that something very big is about to happen in Bangkok. They're not sending their top reporters over here for nothing, believe me.

Wait, did you just try to pretend that BBC's Rachel Harvey is their top reporter in the region?

no, they send rachael ray to cook for them because the reporters could not adapt to thai food prepared for them at the protests.

Thai soldier shot, court to consider dissolving ruling party ...

By RFI

Thailand’s Constitutional Court has agreed to hear a case brought by the Election Commission alleging misuse of funds by the ruling party. The government is locked in a standoff with Red Shirt protesters, which Wednesday turned violent when a soldier was shot in the head.

A soldier was shot in the head Wednesday in a confrontation Red Shirt protesters in near Bangkok's Don Mueang airport. Sixteen people were hospitalised for injuries.

The status of the soldier is unclear, according to an army spokesperson.

Some 2,000 protesters, who support deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawattra, had left their fortified base in trucks and motorbikes and were confronted by 900 soldiers and police officers.

The leader of the Red Shirts, Nattawut Saikuarm, told reporters the convoy was going to offer support to people in an area where protesters had been arrested Monday for trying to block troops from entering the city.

"We will offer moral support to the residents," Nattawut said. "We will go to meet and talk to people along the route."

Army spokesperson Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said Tuesday that security forces were waiting "for the right time" to retake the protesters fortified area in the centre of the capital’s commercial district.

Wednesday morning the country's Constitutional Court agreed to hear a case against thePrime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva’s ruling Democrat party.

"At a meeting this morning the court accepted the case against the Democrats filed by the Election Commission," a court official said Wednesday.

The Democrats will be asked to provide a written defence, though no timeline has been set for the case.

The Court has agreed to hear allegations that the party misused an Election Commission grant. The Commission also alleges the party received an illegal political donation in 2005, a complaint that is to be sent to the Attorney General next month.