Recipes From Rattana: Elephant And Rabbit Stew

Kan Win

Someone send me this one - enjoy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe I have published before, but after stumbling over it again and chuckling to myself, I thought I should reprint it. Originally it was given to me by David Levine, an executive chef. The principal ingredient is freely available in Thailand, and in fact, you would probably be in line for a City Administration grant if you took a couple from the streets any night. The rabbits are harder to find, but I believe you can get them on special order at most supermarkets. David did say that if you want to try this item, you must plan well in advance to allow for preparation and cooking. It is not a quick stir-fry in the wok.

Ingredients Serves 3,000

Elephant 1 large

Pepper 1/2 pail

Salt 2 pails

Onions 4 bushels

Water 93 gallons

Flour 6 pails

Rabbits (optional) 2

Cooking Method

Cut elephant into bite sized pieces - preferably put aside around four months for this part. Cook over a kerosene fire for three months, or until tender. Now add onions, salt, pepper and flour and cook until done, generally around two days. If more people arrive than expected then add the rabbits at this final stage (do this only if necessary as most people don’t like hare in their soup)

B)B)B):oB):DB)

Kan Win

I thought that you were Thai - or at least had a great empathy with Thai culture.

How can you joke about eating the flesh of an elephant?

I find it quite sickening! :D  B)

pnustedt

Half way there to be one, but I feel I am already on of then, have my P.R. and working on it. Love this country lots.

Re: the recipe – you missed the “Punch Line” That was the JOKE. ” and yes, I love cuddly rabbits, BUT I HATE HARE IN MY SOUP. I give up really. LOL

B)B):oB)B)

Guest IT Manager

I find it quite sickening!  :o 

Me too...extremely tough. Also I hate getting hare in my soup.

Waitress!... pii krub.. theres a hare in this soup....

I find it quite sickening!  :D 

Me too...extremely tough. Also I hate getting hare in my soup.

Waitress!... pii krub.. theres a hare in this soup....

B)B)B)B)B)B):o

BBQ dog, Cat stew, and now elephant, damm what is this world coming too. by the way what they do with the elephant balls, heard it taste good with whisky.

I try rabbit before long ago :o , i think it was mid-america in the hill belly area, its taste pretty good i might say :DB)