Learning To Drive In The Left Hand Side Of The Road.

gudtymchuk

The first time I drove on the wrong side of the road...

Actually it's the right side of the road in more ways than one and goes back to horse highway days. It's only 'wrong' for you yanks. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The center of the road rule works best for me.  I would suggest, though, being conservative at catching green lights if you plan on making a turn.  The only time I ever ended up on the wrong side was one day I got back to the US and tried to beat the red light to make a turn onto the cross street.

It takes me three days to adjust to the wiper and turn signal arms!

I was in Okinawa the day they whole island switched from the right hand side of the road to the left.  Chaos!!!

The first time I drove on the wrong side of the road...

Actually it's the right side of the road in more ways than one and goes back to horse highway days. It's only 'wrong' for you yanks. :)

Actually, it is "wrong" for more than just us Yanks.  

From Wiki

Though originally most traffic drove on the left worldwide, today about 66% of the world's people live in right-hand traffic countries and 34% in left-hand traffic countries. About 72% of the world's total road distance carries traffic on the right, and 28% on the left.

:D

The only difficulty I had in the beginning was traffic circles - roundabouts - when there weren't any other cars there. Very easy to go the wrong way. Some of the roundabouts have arrows on the curbs pointing you in the right direction - others do not. Just remember that when you enter a roundabout you will always turn left.

A Thai specialty on the open road is to pass, coming straight at you in your lane. They will flash their headlights, indicating that they own the entire road. The only time this is really scary is when one bus is passing another going uphill against a double solid line, and there is no shoulder. In that case, because they are bigger than you, pull over as far as you can and just crawl, so they can swap a bit of paint between the two of them, and not with you. It's worse on a road bike when the narrow shoulder is nothing but some loose gravel with potholes.

First you should learn the rules of the road. Driving on the left side, means everything is opposite. Slow traffic should drive to the left instead of the right. You pass on the right instead of the left. The most difficult thing I found when making the switch was judging distance on the left side of the car. Now seven yrs later, I don't think I would be comfortable driving in the states.

Barry

Where l come from we drive on the left but in LOS it is still a nightmare. Good luck. :)

I'd be more concerned with crossing the street as most Americans tend to look to their left when crossing the street and of course the oncoming traffic is coming from the right. Been a few fatalities!

Where l come from we drive on the left but in LOS it is still a nightmare. Good luck. :)

I'd be more concerned with crossing the street as most Americans tend to look to their left when crossing the street and of course the oncoming traffic is coming from the right. Been a few fatalities!

Had a fellow professor from the US come out here to teach.  Got drunk and stepped out into the road, looking the wrong way.  Here for three weeks and then dead.

Changing sides was No problem at all for me and I live in Canada where we drive the same as the USA. I've driven a lot on New Zealand and Australia and never had any problem either. It only took me a day to get used to it. Just concentrate harder and pre-think routes so you don't suddenly have to make a decision. After a week it just becomes routine.

The only real thing you have to watch out for in Thailand is that Thais pay no attention to one way roads or what side of the road they are SUPPOSED to be on. They come at you from all directions... and traffic lights are only generality. Red lights don't necessarily mean stop and green lights can be ignored at any time.

It takes me three days to adjust to the wiper and turn signal arms!

Heck, been driving here for several years and still turning on the wipers when I go to turn on my blinker..

Went back to the US last November and caught myself driving on the wrong side of the road there.

Like bonobo, I've also had a friend killed just the same way, and another injured badly.

But, like my other reply, once you get to understand Thai traffic you begin looking in all directions before doing ANYTHING.

Oh yeah ... driving on the left side of the road. Quite scary at first, especially at the intersections. Where do I look, where do I do to?

I remember this huge post in Phuket (just after Chalong Junction in direction of Kata): Remember to drive on the LEFT side!!

And then, this gear change, and I constantly looked for the mirror in all the wrong places.

And the wiper and blinker levers. Some cars here in Thailand are the opposite of what I was used to, some the same. More confusion. It still makes me smile when I see a car at an intersection, on a bright sunny day and the wipers go on. Haha, another farang!

Finally, I settled for European cars with the blinker and wipers on the place I am used to.

The rest come naturally with time and practice. Don't worry too much, except at intersections. Think, look, thing again, look again, then drive.

Like bonobo, I've also had a friend killed just the same way, and another injured badly.

But, like my other reply, once you get to understand Thai traffic you begin looking in all directions before doing ANYTHING.

As a kid I was always tought to look both ways when crossing.. They really need those pedestrian crossings where you push the button and wait, but I've never seen any.

As a kid I was always tought to look both ways when crossing.. They really need those pedestrian crossings where you push the button and wait, but I've never seen any.

There are some in Chiangmai but you are still taking your chances stepping out as it's hit or miss as to whether cars will obey it. :)

I recommend taking it easy...and have a co-pilot to help you out. First, to help you to remember to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and second to help you watch out for the scooters, chickens, buffaloes, cars on the wrong side of the road, etc.

I was pretty scared at first. But now, no biggie. But even yesterday, after lots of driving here for the past 5 months, I almost went on the wrong side while driving around Big C. My wife on a regular basis tries to get in on the wrong side of the car.

Avoid driving in the big cities if you can. Public transportation is pretty good...especially in Bangkok. We have hired taxi's to show us the way out...or in. Works great.

Should be fun next week as we return to the US!!!!! Have fun, get full coverage insurance, get an automatic transmission, and enjoy!

I've driven all over the world but I found it easier to keep chanting ,

" Left is right, left is right."

I agree, get an automatic. I kept trying to shift the door knob with my right hand .

Now when I drive in US I have to chant "right is right, right is right" .

Be careful and assume everyone is going to pull out in front of you .

They have some pedestrian lights in Chiang Mai, but you DO have to pay attention and not just walk out blindly. Thai drivers continually run through those lights with no regard to pedestrians. Paying attention to EVERYTHING while walking becomes instinctive after a while, and never trust a Thai driver/rider to follow any rules or laws. I'm not knocking them; I'm just being realistic and saying what happens.

I've driven all over the world but I found it easier to keep chanting ,

" Left is right, left is right."

I agree, get an automatic. I kept trying to shift the door knob with my right hand .

Now when I drive in US I have to chant "right is right, right is right" .

Be careful and assume everyone is going to pull out in front of you .

I thought everyone just says... MIght is right, Might is right. Drive a big truck and go where you want. :)

Welcome to the forum, Tigerwan. I enjoyed your stories about Pattaya when you were a little girl.

They have some pedestrian lights in Chiang Mai, but you DO have to pay attention and not just walk out blindly. Thai drivers continually run through those lights with no regard to pedestrians. Paying attention to EVERYTHING while walking becomes instinctive after a while, and never trust a Thai driver/rider to follow any rules or laws. I'm not knocking them; I'm just being realistic and saying what happens.

Maybe if they had multiple lights that they can't miss and speed humps and chicanes to slow them down.

Maybe red light cameras as well.

I never understanded why some countries drive on the left and others on the right hand? Where the F_4%$k did this come from !

I think Britain was the first to make it law and has something to do with conventions in handling horses. There is some evidence that the Romans did it as well. Thailand may have adopted it because of the king that spent time in Britain when they were the main world power.

It's fortunate for me and has probably saved me several times in Bangkok.

As for those weird places that drive on the right, I expect Napoleon had something to do with it.

The manually is still superior to an automatic in every department. Especially the fun department. There is no greater joy then shifting in the mountains. It is so much fun. But you are going to underestimate this experience simply because you don't know better, you just dont know what you are missing out on.

In general the difference between a MT and a similar equiped AT is 40-50.000 baht. Save those bucks and get yourself some clothes, go out for some nice dinner instead. You know what you can buy for 50.000 baht?! There is NO REASON at all to get a AT. It sucks, its slow, it consumes more fuel, its more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain, boring. There is nothing an AT is better at. NOTHING! People that buy AT are lazy uneducated fools and bad drivers. They just don't know any better.

The manually is still superior to an automatic in every department. Especially the fun department. There is no greater joy then shifting in the mountains. It is so much fun. But you are going to underestimate this experience simply because you don't know better, you just dont know what you are missing out on.

In general the difference between a MT and a similar equiped AT is 40-50.000 baht. Save those bucks and get yourself some clothes, go out for some nice dinner instead. You know what you can buy for 50.000 baht?! There is NO REASON at all to get a AT. It sucks, its slow, it consumes more fuel, its more expensive to buy, more expensive to maintain, boring. There is nothing an AT is better at. NOTHING! People that buy AT are lazy uneducated fools and bad drivers. They just don't know any better.

Actually there is a new type of transmission, which is better than the traditional manual type while even smoother than the traditional automatic gear.

Cars like Volkswagen and Audi had it first, and soon others followed, even the new Ferrari has it now. It's the so-called "double clutch" or DSG gearbox.

It allows the driver the put it in fully automatic mode (with an "S" option) or in manual mode with shift paddles behind the steering wheel. There is no clutch pedal anymore.

Here in Thailand, cars like the AUDI TT or Volkswagen Golf GTI have it and I can tell you, it's be best gearbox I have ever used. Absolutely fantastic. Fast up-shifting and smooth down-shifting with the right sound from the engine.

I believe you wood be a fool not to use this gearbox.