Rubber Trees

dazk

A lot of people now buy rubber trees, everywhere we hear about rubber trees.

Is it really a good investment or like a lot in Thailand is it something that will disappear in some months when there will be so much rubber trees everywhere and when the earnings will go smaller and smaller ?

It seems so good now that i"m a little worry about this for the future and the real earnings

Is people thai need fareng money now for this investment or is it really a long term investment for fareng .. who cannot be the owner of the land.

Are rubber trees a good investment? Well, that depends on one's perspective, doesn't it. . . ?

Perhaps you could do an internet search on this article:

Monoculture tree plantations are "green deserts" not forests, say activists

Jeremy Hance, mongabay.com

September 19, 2008

or this one:

Where the Rubber Meets the Garden

Jane Qiu

Nature

January, 2009

I suspect the Rubber Farms who are starting to tap now will do ok.

Everywhere I look its new Rubber plantations or land being prepared for Rubber this year.

A few years ago my garden backed onto a Natural forest. OK, there was a bit of encrouchment but now it seems a free for all. The forest has receded perhaps a kilometer or so on all sides. It will be rubber for sure. I'm not sure wether the land was opened up again or there's no control or enforcement of encrouchment Laws. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter. This is probably happening all over northern Thailand.

OK , lots of previously unused or unproductive shrub land is also being cleared and re-planted with Rubber. Its on an almost industrial scale, I'm sure some of these plantations can be seen from the Moon. I understand the same is happening in China, Laos and lots of other SEA countries.

I understand Rubber is quite labour intensive and labour costs do seem to be on the up.

I do suspect there will be oversupply in the next 10 years or so and the profit margins will be affected.

But what do I know . I Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

A few years ago a lot of furniture was being made from Rubber Tree wood which indicates that rubber tree plantations had became uneconomic to maintain and I noticed around Chonburri a lot of rubber tree plantations were becoming negleted - so why has it resurged? The other souce for "rubber type" products is petoleum . Is this behind the interest and re-surgence?. I just hope it doesn't become like the palm oil industry like in Malaysia .

At least , if the bubble bursts then you do still have a timber resource .

if you do you home work you will find that rubber trees are a great investment. You can make upto 150 BT per month per tree. the price per kg of rubber right now is 100 bt, one tree on avage on my farm produces 1.2 KG per month i have 3200 trees. so for me it,s a great investement. As for the future it just will go up . and for planting to many well it will not happen when rubber trees can only grow in a small area of the world .

if you do you home work you will find that rubber trees are a great investment. You can make upto 150 BT per month per tree. the price per kg of rubber right now is 100 bt, one tree on avage on my farm produces 1.2 KG per month i have 3200 trees. so for me it,s a great investement. As for the future it just will go up . and for planting to many well it will not happen when rubber trees can only grow in a small area of the world .

Nice to see someone so optimistic. Hope your right . Not sure about the small part of the world though. Southern China & South East Asia's pretty big, not to mention Indonesia.

Have to agree, but if you go into rubber then you have to be committed to a long and expensive enterprise. As I have said before it is almost impossible to be an absentee owner. Plus most people seem to believe that the costs of caring for the trees is cheap, not so.

Sounds like you have some good trees if they are producing 1.2 kilos a months, hope mine catch up over the next few years. Jim

Jim. You seem to imply that 1.2 Kg/Month/Tree is a little optimistic. May I ask you for your more realistic productive figure?

For me, an annual rate is more helpful than a monthly one as the cutting season seems to vary wildly. Up here in Mukdahan it seems to be only 7 months!

Jim. You seem to imply that 1.2 Kg/Month/Tree is a little optimistic. May I ask you for your more realistic productive figure?

For me, an annual rate is more helpful than a monthly one as the cutting season seems to vary wildly. Up here in Mukdahan it seems to be only 7 months!

Hi boeing

I wouldn't say optimistic,as some tree clones on paper can produce 1.5 kilos per month and some of the older types about 0.25 kilos a month. I only started tapping our first 1000 trees last year, the best were producing 0.5 kilos by the end of the season. How much they will average out producing is anybodys quess, but I will be happy if the average is 5 kilos + per year at 10 years. Will just have to see over time. Jim

Perhaps some of you guys growing rubber that have trees morew than 7 years old could start to tap the rubber and cast it into bullets as a value added enterprise. Get in quick, Bangkok appears to be a market set to explode for the quick and the dead alike.

Just gagging guys.