Moving To Thailand, And Leaving Pets Behind, Or Giving Them Away?

Then dont move here untill the time has come for your cat/dogs!I will never ever understand people that get animals and then when their life changes the just give their animals away or even considering to kill them!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??

I think you're making an awfully broad judgment that's quite unfair. Pets are important...very important...but they aren't the only thing of importance in life. I agree that there are far too many people who are completely careless in the way they take care of their pets...or give up their pets...or even kill their pets.

Ten years ago I decided to get into parrots. Although I had once thought about retiring in Thailand, that idea had fallen by the wayside, so it seemed like there was no good reason not to have a long-term pet (or three). So I got an African grey, a maroon bellied conure, and a peach front conure. The peach front, in particular, turned out to be "a pet of a lifetime". For 8 years I doted on those birds. They lived an almost ideal life for a pet. And the rewards for me were great.

But once I retired the desire to retire in Thailand resurfaced, particularly as I see these "golden years" as my final chapter...a time to do something really different with the rest of my life. And after a year of retirement I decided to go for it. At first I did a lot of research about bringing at least the peach front here. But the more I learned about how such pets would be kept in the airplane hold and then possibly quarantined, it was pretty clear that I would be endangering her life by remaining attached to her. She had a previous home, but after 6 years they had to give her up (to me) due to a severe allergy of their daughter. Then 8 great years with me. I began interviewing people...turned down well over 100 for reasons such as smoking or having a dog or cat...some of the people were furious at being denied. But if I couldn't find an ideal situation, then I thought I would give up the move up to Thailand, even though there was someone waiting for me here with whom I have had a long-term relationship for two decades. And then, just about the time I was ready to give up, along came a young lady who was magic with the birds and was willing to take all three. No smokers in the house. No dogs or cats. She even brought her parents (who lived with her) to meet me, and like her, they were clearly ideal bird owners. And so, with lots of tears, my three parrots went with them. As I found with the peach front when I became her owner, in just about 3 days they adjusted and became very happy in their new home. The old mother dotes on the peach front. Sadly, the maroon belly passed on about a year later after falling off his perch and getting a concussion. But the African grey and the peach front are loving their new home. Occasionally I get email updates and even photos.

If I went back "home" for a visit, I don't think I'd visit them because in my heart I suspect they might not even remember me and I'd be jealous seeing how well they were doing.

Even one's own children grow up and leave the nest, so to speak. There is a point at which obsession becomes a part of pet ownership, and the kind of blanket statement you made approaches that.

The following requirements apply if you plan to bring your cat or dog into Thailand for 6 months or more by air as part of your accompanied baggage:

* Obtain an authorization to import your pet by air. This can be done at Bangkok International Airport.

* At the airport, you will need to:

- obtain an authorization form allowing you to transit animals via Thailand (Ror 6 form), or

- obtain a permission to bring animals into Thailand (Ror 7 form), and/or

- fill out an application form for special importation (Kor Sor Kor 102).

Please be advised that you may be required to pay fees for the above applications as well as import duties on your pet. Import duties are waived if your pet will be in Thailand for less than 6 months, but you will need to fill out a guarantee form and pay a deposit at the airport.

Other requirements:

* Identity certificate signed in country of origin by a registered veterinarian, describing age, breed, sex, color, etc. of your pet.

* A Rabies vaccination certificate - your pet must be vaccinated at least 15 days prior to departure.

* A leptospirosis vaccination certificate - your pet must be vaccisnated at least 21 days prior to departure.

* Animal must be healthy and free from any sign of infectious or contagious disease.

* Animal must be residing in your home country for no less than 6 months before the departure date.

Presently, there are no quarantine restrictions on household pets coming into Thailand. Required for your pets' entry into Thailand is a Health Certificate and proof that your pets are protected from rabies. Both certificates must be dated no earlier than 30 days before the animals' arrival in Thailand.

Please keep in mind that bringing your pets home or to other countries from Thailand may require a lengthy quarantine period (i.e. England, Australia, New Zealand and the State of Hawaii).

Before transporting your pets to Thailand:

* Contact your airline for transportation procedures and arrangements

* Prepare Certificates

* Contact the Quarantine Office at the Bangkok International Airport (Suvarnabhumi Airport) at [email protected] or (66) 2134-0636, (66) 2134-0637 prior to transportation.

Initially, the documents which will be needed are:

1. Your passport

2. Airway bill

3. Health Certificates

4. Import Entry Form (Kor Sor Kor 102) and other documents to be completed at the Quarantine Office

After the process at the Quarantine Office, Customs Inspection is also required.

For further inquiries, please contact:

Pet Control Office

Bangkok International Airport

Arrival Lounge (Counter 7 & 8)

Tel: 0 2535-1210, 0 2535-1425

Bangkok Airport Customs Office

Tel. (66-2) 535-1269, 535-1153, 535-1680, 535-6463

Department of Livestock Development, Bangkok

Tel. (66-2) 251-5136, 252-6944

Or visit the Department's website at www.dld.go.th

Edited by sbk