Can I Open A Bank Account On A Tourist Visa?

kunash

Can i open a bank account on a tourist visa?  i know a local branch of bank of bangkok where i am in isaan.  i will be staying in an apartment.  is it possible to open a bank account with an atm card? what would i need

This question is asked regularly and often often here at TV, so search the forum and/or scan back through the last few pages of threads to get more info.

The short answer is that there is no simple answer. Probably "yes", but it really depends on the specific bank staffer that you deal with. As others have suggested, if you don't like the answer then try the bank next door. More details at www.burning-bison.com

This question is asked regularly and often often here at TV, so search the forum and/or scan back through the last few pages of threads to get more info.

The short answer is that there is no simple answer. Probably "yes", but it really depends on the specific bank staffer that you deal with. As others have suggested, if you don't like the answer then try the bank next door. More details at www.burning-bison.com

thanks for link

The problems are that all these question have been asked before. There are 2 reasons people ask again,

1. Hard to search to find the right information. May be a bulletin board for TV more appropriate.

2. It is fun to read again and again :)

The problems are that all these question have been asked before. There are 2 reasons people ask again,

1. Hard to search to find the right information. May be a bulletin board for TV more appropriate.

2. It is fun to read again and again :)

They could just go to the pinned thread to get the right information and read it as many times as they want.

If you don't have a low fee credit card or debit card (like Nationwide), and therefore have to pay 5% every time you use an ATM, is opening a Thai bank account basically the cheapest way of getting money from a UK account? I'm just wondering if I should maybe buy a pile of traveller's cheques before I leave. Thanks.

If you don't have a low fee credit card or debit card (like Nationwide), and therefore have to pay 5% every time you use an ATM, is opening a Thai bank account basically the cheapest way of getting money from a UK account? I'm just wondering if I should maybe buy a pile of traveller's cheques before I leave. Thanks.

It probably depends on how often you expect to travel to Thailand and how much you expect to spend here. If you don't come very often, you're probably as well off using your ATM cards or travellers cheques, although I haven't used the latter for years and don't know what the charges are.

I don't think there are any really cheap ways of transferring money. I have had a Bangkok Bank passbook account for several years and used to charge it up prior to a holiday online via Moneybookers. Superficially this is very cheap, about £3.00 to send £1000, but all their transactions are in Euros, and they seem to take a big profit on the conversion so the net cost of the funds received in baht is around 4%.

I also recently tried Bangkok Bank London, recommended in some other thread on this forum, as it's possible to upload online from your UK account foc, and they will transfer to your BKK bank account in Thailand at a cost of either £20 for transferring sterling to Thailand and 0.25% for conversion on receipt, or £15 for conversion to baht in London, no further charges. Of course, the rate for conversion in London is less favourable. On 27th April I sent £1000 from my UK bank and asked for it to be transferred to Thailand in Sterling. On 29th April I received this acknowledgement from BKK Bank in London - "we have received your transaction. The other party will receive THB47181.50 on the 7/5/10." Given that the exchange rate at the time was around 49=£1 and they're hanging on to the money for a whole week, I smell rip-off and won't be using them again.

I also don't now think that Moneybookers is a cost-effective way of making regular transfers, and before long I will be speaking to my UK bank about transferring direct to my Thai accounts.

If you do manage to get one open, keep it open (keep well above the min. balances and transfer money between your accounts regularly even if they aren't your main accounts) so you don't have to put yourself through the hoops in the future. Bank accounts are easily for life.

:)

If you can wire cheap from your UK bank account then wiring to your Thai bank account is by far the best option.

Todays rates:

Wire 48.82 per £1

Traveler cheques £48.69 per £1

Cash 48.29 per £1

Debit card not listed but probably 47.something per £1

There are fees on cheques and cards so the best option for larger amounts is wires.

I pay about 200 baht to receive Danish Kroner in my Thai bank account I only pay 120 baht to send a wire using my online banking in Denmark.

Make sure the money is wired from your UK bank account in £ otherwise your will get a worse rate and then its not an good idea to wire the money.

All you need is a Passport and Thailand address (any address will do) for a simple ATM card and internet banking. Any branch of any bank with a reasonable English speaker should do it no problem. :)

I was unsuccessful in Khon Kaen today.

I gave the Siam Commercial Bank a "permanent" address although staying in a hotel on a 2 mth tourist visa, but she then said I needed a working visa.

At Bangkok Bank they said I needed a passport and 'something' (couldn't understand what she said) from my embassy if I have a tourist visa , but if I had a nonO visa I could get an account set up today.

all depends on the branch i think. bangkok bang in paragon said no, unless i had a work permit or had a letter from my embassy stating where i lived. kasikorn bank in paragon also said no until i showed them my daughters birth certificate and 10k. had a paypal account set up in a few days...

James said

Eff1 said

I also don't now think that Moneybookers is a cost-effective way of making regular transfers, and before long I will be speaking to my UK bank about transferring direct to my Thai accounts

Open a Hifx account in the (UK company signup online, account formation instant)

Bring your debit card with you

Open a Bank account in Thailand (any bank) and ask for their SWIFT number

You can then transfer money through HIFx from your UK bank to your Thai bank using the internet ...... 3-5 days for SWIFT.

The advantage is there are NO SWIFT fees to pay using HiFx (usually 30UKP) and you can transfer small amounts.

The exchange rate is fixed at the time of purchase and there are no fees (apart from the exchange rate)

I have found no cheaper way to transfer money.

There is no problem getting a Thai bank account using a tourist Visa and UK passport, but every bank is different, you may have to ask in two or three banks to open an account. Use your hoter/gueasthouse address, but don't give them the name or say it is a hotel, just the street address. Please note ........ banks with the same name but different branches are also different.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Try Kasikorn Bank

Thanks ... I did and walked out 10 minutes later with a savings deposit passbook.

I went to the branch near the Khon Kaen bus terminal.

The only ''reaction'' I got was a laugh when I only had 1000 baht in my wallet to open the account with.

I did not get the K-Max Debit Card (cost 300 baht) though.

Will do a bit more research to see if it is worth while.

It has a VISA stamp on it, but I am not sure if it can be used to pay bills with or it is just a ATM withdrawal card?

Go to Krungsi ( The Yellow Bank )

all you need to take is your passport and visa stamp's "even if they are just tourist" in there proving you have lived in Thailand for 4 months,

I got ATM card for 200baht and online banking

Open a Hifx account in the (UK company signup online, account formation instant)

You can then transfer money through HIFx from your UK bank to your Thai bank using the internet ...... 3-5 days for SWIFT.

The advantage is there are NO SWIFT fees to pay using HiFx (usually 30UKP) and you can transfer small amounts.

The exchange rate is fixed at the time of purchase and there are no fees (apart from the exchange rate)

There is no problem getting a Thai bank account using a tourist Visa and UK passport, but every bank is different, you may have to ask in two or three banks to open an account. Use your hoter/gueasthouse address, but don't give them the name or say it is a hotel, just the street address. Please note ........ banks with the same name but different branches are also different.

Thanks for the info, sarashbloke.

Thanks for the info, sarashbloke.

I second that! Thanks sarahsbloke.

by the way - you could be missing out on some "free flights to one of ten fantastic European destinations when you refer a friend to HiFX"