Thai Gov't Renews Threat Of Force Against Red-Shirts Protesters

webfact

Thai government renews threat of force against protesters; FM to explain situation to neighbours

BANGKOK (TNA) -- The Thai government Monday renewed its threat to use force to disperse the anti-government protesters now rallying at Bangkok’s prime business area, and Foreign Affairs Minister Kasit Piromya said he is preparing to visit neighbouring countries to explain Thailand's current political situation in this country.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, as a director of the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES), said the current demonstration by United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) is against the law as they have threatened the rights and freedoms of the public, and many are armed.

Mr Suthep said innocent people who are joining the rally should realise that they have become “human shields for terrorists” and should leave the rally site. It they refused, combined government forces will step in to restore order.

He said more arrest warrants for terrorists infiltrated among the protesters would be issued this week and legal action will be taken against them.

“The government will follow international standard practices from issuing a warning, and (moving from) the softest to the most stiff measures,” said Mr Suthep. “We will not risk our police and soldiers to lose their lives for terrorism.”

If the protest leaders carry M16 rifle, how can I guarantee their lives as" they are not normal people", the CRES director said.

Tens of thousands of UDD protesters have been demonstrating demanding Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dissolve the House and call for fresh general elections.

They have been rallying at Ratchaprasong since early April and at the nearly adjacent Sala Daeng intersection, both considered as important business areas in the capital.

Following Mr Suthep’s remarks, UDD key leader Natthawut Saikua on Monday said the threat is not dreadful as the protests have come so far that Mr Natthawut himself and the protesters don’t need to feel fear because they have done the right thing.

Mr Natthawut commented as Metropolitan Police Division 1 commander Pol Maj-Gen Wichai Sangprapai came to the Ratchaprasong rally site seeking a the further return of areas near Chulalongkorn Hospital from the Red Shirt leaders.

The Red Shirts earlier decided to open some parts of Ratchadamri Road in front of the entrance to the hospital after they stormed the hospital Thursday night to search for armed soldiers, forcing the hospital to evacuate all of its inpatients to other hospitals for safety reasons.

The Red Shirt’s reopening of one section of the road however does not meet the needs of Chulalongkorn Hospital director Dr Adisorn Patradul who demanded protesters open Ratchadamri Road from Sala Daeng intersection to Sarasin intersection, about one kilometre away.

Gen Wichai Sangprapai said after the talks that the Red Shirt leaders asked for time to reconsider the police request, while Mr Natthawut urged the hospital to accept the areas which had been earlier returned to the hospital.

“Please understand the protesters fear the government will retake the Ratchaprasong area as Deputy Prime Minister Suthep and Democrat members earlier threatened to carry out operation to retake the area within 1-2 days,”said Mr Natthawut.

When asked whether the UDD will accept the government’s proposal to dissolve the parliament before nine-month timeframe, the Red Shirt leader said the movement has to see first the government’s clear stance and will have to discuss the issue together.

As the renewed UDD demonstration has lasted almost two months in the capital, representatives of Malaysia’s Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development, led by Yup Swee Seng, Monday submitted a letter to Foreign Affairs Minister Kasit Piromya, expressing concern over the chaotic political situation in Thailand and urged both the protesters and the government to refrain from using force and return to the negotiating table to find a peaceful solution.

Mr Abhisit had held two days of talks with key UDD leaders on March 28 and 29, but the negotiations failed to produce fruitful result.

The letter, signed by 43 non-governmental organizations in Asia, also urged the Thai government to exercise international practice in dispersing the protesters and to set up an independent committee to find and punish the culprits.

Mr Kasit reportedly told them that the Thai government always adheres to the code for respecting human rights under the democratic system and has been avoiding the use of force although the Cabinet on Sunday agreed to allow the government to use force in containing the protesters, but the agreement is “only an option while the government doesn’t intend to use it”.

Mr Kasit later told journalists that the government must exercise utmost restraint in order to prevent losses of life among the army and innocent people, but that it is simply not possible for any elected government to allow armed people to topple social institutions and the government.

“We want the NGOs to study carefully the truth and political development in Thailand before proposing their concerns so that they will not become partial due to the receiving of distorted information,” said the Thai foreign minister.

In order to enable foreign governments to better understand the ongoing political turmoil in the country, Mr Kasit said he would visit Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam soon while he had also ordered Thai envoys abroad to provide information to the host governments. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-05-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the time comes and the Army really goes in to bust some heads, the Red Shirts should remember how much warning they were given rather then act surprised that the government actually cracked down on them.

Even though many might say: Ah...another thread after so many more before.

But reading all of them in sequence, I think you'd be able to identify an increasing hard undertone.

I personally have no doubt that the government will start taking action soon and it will not be pretty.

Given what happened so far, I do think that the government has the law at its side.

The bad thing is, I also believe that many of the protestors are still there because they wait to be paid.

With their ID-cards taken, they are being held hostage financially as well as morally and fear for consequences of returning home early.

This is a very sad thing which I'm sure is one reason keeping the government back from taking action too soon.

Second reason being that they want to have the road-map on the table in public to maybe avoid a crackdown all together.

But if this road-map is flat out rejected, then there's no more stopping a crackdown

Well they threatened it so many times, I guess the reds just yawn. Of course, if they prepare themselves "for battle" each time, it might be tiresome/annoying, but that's about it.

The SMS message might not be such a bad idea, a modern version of flyers, and inform the protesters that they can either be driven home for free, or arrested, imprisoned and fined 25,000 Baht.

When the time comes and the Army really goes in to bust some heads, the Red Shirts should remember how much warning they were given rather then act surprised that the government actually cracked down on them.

but how would that help to encourage the reds to consider the new 6 months offer ?

what a strange style of negotiating ?

That is, some will just bark, some will threaten but not bite, and some will attack, especially if you do anything provocative :)

More empty threats. I bet the protesters are very confused that why the government is not doing anything especially that their number has reduced to just a few thousand. I think they are hoping for some action since they probably very tired and want to go home

:):D :D :D

getting old by now already .... thread ... nothing ... thread ....nothing in a month time probably still the same and they will start building this overpass and the area is going to be renamed to : little Baghdad

Edited by Herm

I agree many of the reds are staying to wait to be paid. Perhaps the government can offer to pay them instead in exchange for sitting through a two hour video explaining the government side of the issues. After all, these reds are used to being paid to listen to political speeches.

:):D :D :D

getting old by now already .... thread ... nothing ... thread ....nothing in a month time probably still the same and they will start building this overpass and the area is going to be renamed to : little Baghdad

But only after some very serious threads from the government and a zillion more arrest warrants.

5th June....Government thread that it will mobilize the aircraft carrier to disperse the mob....Abhisit guarantees that normality will be back before the new century.....

December 2010 - breaking news - Som Tam sales are up at the former Paragon shopping center now known as Isanagon Center however, government promises crackdown soon

Edited by Herm

Does anybody know an approximate number of redshits left?

The first days we had "precise estimates" :) from both sides, but now? Nothing on the subject, it seems.

Would be nice if someone is living close and give some estimation......Or maybe Dr. Weng has some exact numbers?

The first days we had "precise estimates" :) from both sides, but now? Nothing on the subject, it seems.

Would be nice if someone is living close and give some estimation......Or maybe Dr. Weng has some exact numbers?

Got a look from a highrise today, seems not too many, but I can't estimate how many - probably less than 5,000

I wonder what the neighbours will think when the Foreign Minister who helped occupy the airport tells them that use of state force against demonstrators who break the law is justified?

I think there's "break the law" and "break the law". Everyone breaks the law in Thailand, but there comes a point at which it's too much over the top. It seems the Reds have reached that point.

Just on live update

107 molotov cocktails, one M-16 assault rifle, one carbine rifle, and five AK-47 rifles, tear gas bombs, smoking bombs and several rounds of ammunitions.

This is going to get messy

:)

Nobody knows ,they have changed colours remember,also people staying because there ID cards have been confiscated is a myth if they want to leave they can!

The worst course of action is to try and use force now it wil not end with that and continue all over the city and country,this supposed government keeps making one bad decision after another the only way forward was to go to the country and see where that takes Thailand,i am not saying it is the answer but it will stop the bloodshed that is about to flow now.

Simply, they are not peaceful protesters. That's all the government, the people of Thailand, and the world needs to know. As such, they are asking for it. They can go home now or they can stay and risk their lives.

Edited by Jingthing

Nobody knows ,they have changed colours remember,also people staying because there ID cards have been confiscated is a myth if they want to leave they can!

The worst course of action is to try and use force now it wil not end with that and continue all over the city and country,this supposed government keeps making one bad decision after another the only way forward was to go to the country and see where that takes Thailand,i am not saying it is the answer but it will stop the bloodshed that is about to flow now.

Totally wrong, the longer this goes on, the more damage to the country, politically and economically - but it seems you don't have to worry.

The way things are going, they will be still here next year and Thailand will be asking the IMF for aid and charity organisations will commence air drops of rice in Isaan

hmm, peaceful demonstrations, it's never been this way. the demos were designed by Thaksin to create mayhem.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

Police raid reds' house and seized many rifles

Police arrested two men believed to be red shirts security guard and confiscated several war weapons during a raid at a house in Suan Luang district early Monday morning.

Found in the house included 107 molotov cocktails, one M-16 assault rifle, one carbine rifle, and five AK-47 rifles, tear gas bombs, smoking bombs and several rounds of ammunitions.

Police detained Surachai Ninsopa, 33 and Chatree Srijinda, 28 who are believed to be security guards for the red shirts movement.

Both suspects were taken to the Emergency Operations Command.

That is, some will just bark, some will threaten but not bite, and some will attack, especially if you do anything provocative :)

More empty threats. I bet the protesters are very confused that why the government is not doing anything especially that their number has reduced to just a few thousand. I think they are hoping for some action since they probably very tired and want to go home

It is clear Government is taking this very serious measure and not rushing to the conclusion. They still offer the protestors's more time to reconsider their action. At another hand I do sympathise the protestors's frustration - is it really a worth to have a snap election by causing the diasaster or better to organise something positive for coming election? That is my opinion, I mean no offence.

December 2010 - breaking news - Som Tam sales are up at the former Paragon shopping center now known as Isanagon Center however, government promises crackdown soon

Big pork sale! What used to be Central World Plaza, which was converted to a multi-level pig farm in June 2010, is having a special Christmas sale. Come buy your holiday pig and get the special 'we love farang' price!

hmm, peaceful demonstrations, it's never been this way. the demos were designed by Thaksin to create mayhem.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

Police raid reds' house and seized many rifles

Police arrested two men believed to be red shirts security guard and confiscated several war weapons during a raid at a house in Suan Luang district early Monday morning.

Found in the house included 107 molotov cocktails, one M-16 assault rifle, one carbine rifle, and five AK-47 rifles, tear gas bombs, smoking bombs and several rounds of ammunitions.

Police detained Surachai Ninsopa, 33 and Chatree Srijinda, 28 who are believed to be security guards for the red shirts movement.

Both suspects were taken to the Emergency Operations Command.

If this "MCOT: DSI arrests 3 persons for gunfire at Army helicopters dropping leaflets April 10; weapons, grenades seized" is a second case, than the situation does not look good.

Very scary....

Big pork sale! What used to be Central World Plaza, which was converted to a multi-level pig farm in June 2010, is having a special Christmas sale. Come buy your holiday pig and get the special 'we love farang' price!

Is the "we love farang price" that buy 2 get 1 offer?

Totally wrong, the longer this goes on, the more damage to the country, politically and economically - but it seems you don't have to worry.

The way things are going, they will be still here next year and Thailand will be asking the IMF for aid and charity organisations will commence air drops of rice in Isaan

yes, They have already their Red uniform for Christmas....

About the sale in Siam Paragon, .....when the Ferrari is at 5% of its normal price, I may be interested.....

When the time comes the army will probably drive tanks and APCs right through the barricades. PM sounds like elections will be in about 6 months. Reds really can't be thinking that they will get them any sooner can they? It's not up to terrorists to name the timing of elections, that's the job of the PM. Reds have lost the PR war already, what's the point of losing an actual one?

The first days we had "precise estimates" :D from both sides, but now? Nothing on the subject, it seems.

I disagree, and besides, you've put your only way forward in the past tense meaning that it's too late for anything, but cleaning up is the worst of all? :)

There is no need telling what would have been better, everybody's smarter afterwards. IMHO, informing the pawn-reds, giving a viable option which is to go home now, and then start arresting, pulling them one by one from the pack if needed. Impose heavy punishments for those who resist.

Even if they get only one a minute, it'll be over in less than two days.

And please don't give me the argument that people could get hurt, people got hurt already, and more and more people are hurting financially because of these f-ups.