When we had completed building the house we were considering (well, I was considering, the wife was virtually insisting) erecting a 'spirit house' by the front gate. I was eventually persuaded but I wanted to find one that wasn't too ostentatious and more importantly, easy to clean. Out marriage went sour soon afterwards (different reasons) so it was forgotten.

Some time later, the FG moved in but has never even mentioned that we do not have one, even though the guy opposite has one the size of a small church.

Do you think it's necessary for a Thai lady (or man) to have a spirit house?

We had one just after the house was completed. It sets off the landscaping in the garden and probably I wanted one more than the wife. Live in an area where I am the only farang on the estate, 50 bungalows, and only about 10 properties have one. Had a party where local monks blessed the home.Don't think that many thais care too much nowadays. Only problem we have is when there is a strong wind all the ornaments blow off and some break.

I am toying with the idea now also.. Have a good spot and open space that could do with some color.. Have seen these nice mid sized red and gold jobs that would look good IMHO..

Only thing I am worried about was I was told (unreliably) that it had to go in specific location whereas I have a location in mind.. Not discussed it yet as TGF would then push for it and dont want it anywhere else..

Can you put them where you please ?? Is it rude to dual use them as a bird feeder (what could be more compassionate ??) ??

Only thing I am worried about was I was told (unreliably) that it had to go in specific location whereas I have a location in mind.. Not discussed it yet as TGF would then push for it and dont want it anywhere else..

Can you put them where you please ??

I was told (also unreliably - by Khmer) that it should go in front of the main house in a position where you pass it when you enter the gate (if any). Whether it should be to the left or the right side, I don't know.

Is it rude to dual use them as a bird feeder (what could be more compassionate ??)

I would think that doubling it as a bird feeder would be definitely out.

I was told (also unreliably - by Khmer) that it should go in front of the main house in a position where you pass it when you enter the gate (if any). Whether it should be to the left or the right side, I don't know.

Is it rude to dual use them as a bird feeder (what could be more compassionate ??)

I would think that doubling it as a bird feeder would be definitely out.

:o:D:D

Ours is to the right of the house looking out. Long way from the entrance however as we have a big garden. Birds come and drink the water anyway, but don't think good idea to encourage as they leave a mess. Position must be OK as was advised by local monks.

I am toying with the idea now also.. Have a good spot and open space that could do with some color.. Have seen these nice mid sized red and gold jobs that would look good IMHO..

I believe that only a Brahmin monk can truly determine the actual position of the spirit house on your property, in the true Buddhist fashion, but nowadays, most people put them where they want near the entrance to your property.

I've been told that is important to position them so that the shadow of your house never falls on it. :D

Is it rude to dual use them as a bird feeder (what could be more compassionate ??) ??

:o

Don't get a wooden one. They look great new, but after a couple of rainy seasons, they look sad. I recommend the red and gold concrete ones as they are easy to keep clean and are weather-proof.

Mine is at the side of the house where the entrance is. The only stipulation that was made by the shaman, was that it had to face north. Sometimes they say you have to buy the small china figurines that match you birth animal, as per the Chinese names for the year.

Monks normally have nothing to do with spirit houses as they are not really a part of Buddhism. But housewarming and spirit houses often happen at the same time so everything gets a bit entwined!

Brahmin priests are responsible for the larger "spirit" houses called Pra Pom which actually have Shiva I think it is in there.

Your ordinary spirit house, which most houses have would not involve a Brahmin monk as no Hindu gods involved. Normally in most Thai villages there is an older person who deals with these kind of ceremonies (can't remember the name if there is one for this person). It is usually a man , often ex monk who helps with temple ceremonies etc.

He will tell you where it should be placed and what kind of ceremony etc.

If bad spirits it will have a ladder! (My theory on this is bad spirits, don't have wings so can't get up there otherwise!!)

Of course if you are in a modern area you might have to search around a bit for a person to do this. A lot of modern Thais don't bother now it seems with these especially if Christian. Don't worry about being a farang and putting one in your garden. The family living opposite me are doctors who like to think they are terribly westernised and don't have a spirit house. On our side of the road the farang (me) has a huge spirit house!

Very confusing for most Thais but gets the farang many compliments.

I asked my wife why she didn't have one at her families house.... her reply (if I remember correctly) was that she/they didn't want one, I got the impression that it would have been a bad thing... :o ( although I am aware what they are for, so no explanation needed)

totster :D

When we had completed building the house we were considering (well, I was considering, the wife was virtually insisting) erecting a 'spirit house' by the front gate. I was eventually persuaded but I wanted to find one that wasn't too ostentatious and more importantly, easy to clean. Out marriage went sour soon afterwards (different reasons) so it was forgotten.

Some time later, the FG moved in but has never even mentioned that we do not have one, even though the guy opposite has one the size of a small church.

Do you think it's necessary for a Thai lady (or man) to have a spirit house?

When I first moved to BKK I had a short term GF who had a spirit house that housed a spirt that lived on cigarettes and Thai whiskey.

My wife feeds our spirit gentle and healthy foods...and flowers.

I am working in Pakistan at the moment and my wife said that she would get a spirit house if I got a job.

I did and she has got a spirit house but I have no idea what it looks like until I come home at the end of the month.

There are actually two different types - according to my husband - the san pra poom which is the taller one for the "house spirits" and the jow tee - the one with the ladder for the "land spirits".

Husband had a monk come from the temple - prearranged. He first came to visit the site and they mutually chose a good place to put them. Then he gave us a long list of things to buy for the ceremony - double everything for san pra poom AND jow tee.

We had to buy 2 pigs heads, 2 boiled ducks, 2 boiled chickens, curries, fruit, special kanom and numerous other things. These we had to order in the market before hand (from the woman who knows!). Then we had to buy flowers, different materials in different colours and all of the cement figures to go outside the houses and of course the houses themselves (we spent 2 days looking for ones which were the same colour as the house - white with a green roof.

The whole ceremony took about 45 minutes, just one monk and a couple of friends attended. You offer the food to the spirits and then you tambon your friends/ colleagues by turning up at the door with a pigs head in your hands! We gave one to the local building site and were still giving away food the next evening.

Actually speaking of bird feeders we've never had a bird land on ours that I know of. :o