Success In Business

QUOTE(mpdkorat @ 2005-06-09 06:38:22)

I'm off to take my action with a relaxing swim. Bye. 

I thought you were paralyzed. Please remember your buoyancy aids and take good care.

You complete @sshole.

My exact thoughs bkkmadness

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made over 2 million dollars in Thailand over the past twenty years...

OK, that's settled than - this is not a myth - there are farang multimilioners in Thailand - some of them are even members of this exclusive hi-class forum :o

May I suggest that every member of ThaiVisa which is a multimillioner will have a golden $ sign as his avatar, just to make things clear :D:D:D

OK, that's settled than - this is not a myth - there are farang multimilioners in Thailand - some of them are even members of this exclusive hi-class forum :o

May I suggest that every member of ThaiVisa which is a multimillioner will have a golden $ sign as his avatar, just to make things clear :D:D:D

Now wait just one minute. Being a multi millionaire means HAVING multi millions of dollars, it doesn't mean that you have made that much over a period of years in your life. There is a really really big difference. Heck I've made a couple of billion dollars in Thailand over the last 30 or so years but I didn't save it and I don't HAVE multi millions of dollars on hand so I don't consider myself a multi billionaire nor do I consider myself a multi millionaire....I do consider myself good at exagerating a bit from time to time though........

I dont know any Farang millionaire or billionaire, but I know one who used to work in Asian and now he is quite RICH. He bought part of "Thai Redbull", and now he is one of the most successful in his "REDBULL". :D:o

Dakhar, you have a pretty warped view of people who have been more successful financially than you.

I've made over 2 million dollars in Thailand over the past twenty years, yet have lived a full and wonderful life.  I've visited about 70 of Thailand's 76 provinces, holidayed in over 60 countries around the globe, raised a wonderful family.

I may have more money than I will spend in a lifetime, but I will pass on what's left to my heirs.

Well well.... if you want to talk about "Made." Sure I have made or generated 2 million (USD) or more in the last 4 years, not 20 years. It aint that hard in the field that I am in. What I netted is a different story. I have no qualms with the wealthy... Aparently I am among the wealthy. But I don't care to live it, and I don't care to flaunt it, and I will be so glad when I get out of what I do. I just want to be able to relax and take things easy.... enjoy life, and retire early. I want to return back to my youth, and grow up with my son. That to me will be the ultimate way to enjoy life. Maybe it aint fitting for all the folks out there, and it dosn't have to be. It is fitting for me and that is all that matters.

OK, that's settled than - this is not a myth - there are farang multimilioners in Thailand - some of them are even members of this exclusive hi-class forum :D

Now wait just one minute. Being a multi millionaire means HAVING multi millions of dollars, it doesn't mean that you have made that much over a period of years in your life. There is a really really big difference. Heck I've made a couple of billion dollars in Thailand over the last 30 or so years but I didn't save it and I don't HAVE multi millions of dollars on hand so I don't consider myself a multi billionaire nor do I consider myself a multi millionaire....I do consider myself good at exagerating a bit from time to time though........

I take it back, chownah. His golden $ avatar will not be granted, after all. :o

Dakhar, you have a pretty warped view of people who have been more successful financially than you.

I've made over 2 million dollars in Thailand over the past twenty years, yet have lived a full and wonderful life.  I've visited about 70 of Thailand's 76 provinces, holidayed in over 60 countries around the globe, raised a wonderful family.

I may have more money than I will spend in a lifetime, but I will pass on what's left to my heirs.

Well well.... if you want to talk about "Made." Sure I have made or generated 2 million (USD) or more in the last 4 years, not 20 years. It aint that hard in the field that I am in. What I netted is a different story. I have no qualms with the wealthy... Aparently I am among the wealthy. But I don't care to live it, and I don't care to flaunt it, and I will be so glad when I get out of what I do. I just want to be able to relax and take things easy.... enjoy life, and retire early. I want to return back to my youth, and grow up with my son. That to me will be the ultimate way to enjoy life. Maybe it aint fitting for all the folks out there, and it dosn't have to be. It is fitting for me and that is all that matters.

Fitting for me too. I have a child on the way and unlike most parents struggling to survive/get on. I will have all the time to enjoy growing up with my child.

I just hope that the kid does not grow up quicker than me.

What is this the Ajarn bashing thread now, a poster offers some advice and everybody jumps in and has a go at him, mainly because they didn't understand the advice he was offering and only looked at the money he made. :o

I find it hard to take advice from someone on how to make money when that person is a s broke as a bum and considers themselves 'sorted ' cause they made 1500 /30 = 50 bucks a day 'some months'

Rayong, you have no clue as to my financial condition, nor is it any ammunition for a flame... I would suggest you take your narrow and closed mind and try a new idea, for a change. And start by reading all of a post, instead of just taking bits and pieces and trying to create your own little fantasy world of what reality is.

Your ignorance might be bliss for you, but it's annoying to others and it makes you look the fool and the troll, so best to keep your ignorance more private, I'd suggest :D

I think that being told you are 'keng' one time to often has gone to your head Pal.... you're a condescending tit and you , by admission, point out your own financial position by subjecting us to your little story about your 50USD a day 'some months' gig, which I wouldn't even get out of bed for. My narrow mind? Well, it's got me 10 times more than what you describe. And I still consider myself not particularly well off in Thailand

Reality to me, or my own little fantasy world? Whatever, I think I'd prefer it to hussling in Changmai for peanuts. Get back on your scooter, put on your off white polo shirt and go be a Kru......

Edited by Rayong

Rayong,

there are some nice people on this thread, debating calmly, contributing and giving advice.

You are not one of them :o .

Pull your <deleted> head in........ and grow up!

Edited by udon

The question, is can an individual farang really be successful and make a lot of money in business here in Thailand? Naturally one hears of so and so opening a bar or running a computer repair service.  I have yet to see one Farang really achieve multi millionaire status, here in Thailand. Why is this so? Ideas and comments please (Please let's exclude those in the entertaiment field)

Oh, there are a few multi millionaires!

Why is this so?

Because they are not on TV....don't visit bars...stay low-profile...work their a##ses off...and most likely don't cross along 'walking street' in Pattaya....but play on the more important golf courses in Thailand where they meet the 'rich and famous'....

I used to work with a Frenchman who is married into the most influent family of TH (and increased their wealth substantially); I know of a Dutch guy who has factories all over the country....and another one who is (together with a rich Thai family) very big in project development and real estate.

Since he joined in he increased their, and his own, wealth :o

But, of course there are only a few, the majority will never be multi-millionaires.

LaoPo

I'll bet they were all rich before they came to Thailand. You don't marry into 'the most influent family of TH' unless you are rich already.

not quite true, with building-up the right contacts, you can easily get there, i have a high level contact that make introductions for me, surely if the deal comes off he get his %, but to get there first you have to show them what's it all about :D

and definitly, keep low profile and don't walk with pick-ups on sukhumvit or where-ever, go discretely to the fish-tanks instead :D

and yes, i work 12-14hrs per day, seven days per week :D

Ajarn I think it is obvious that noone on the thread feels jealous that you have 'made it' when they haven't. The point is, you haven't by any stretch of the imagination 'made it'

You eart what can only be described a s a very minimal amount of money, unless ofcourse your are a Thai ajarn.

50k doesnt really cover a decent mortgage and certainly doesnt cover an international school education for your kids. Two very basic points and forget about sending the kids to a western university.

I made what is considered a fortune to my Thai familyu last year. As far as wealth is concerned, it is peanuts. But I can afford to pay for all that I want or need, despite my narrow mind and having no new ideas.

What great social skills you show after 14 posts Rayong :o

Social skills? Re-read your posts. You were the poster pointing out that Ajarn had a serious medical problem. Is that what I should aspire too?

And Udon, you're are right. i resent being called narrow minded by an ajarn, the lowest on the expat ladder. Point taken, i came back too hard.

Sorry nanny

Social skills? Re-read your posts. You were the poster pointing out that Ajarn had a serious medical problem. Is that what I should aspire too?

Re read my posts yourself, I never said anything of the sort. Neeraram used the quote function wrong, it was somebody else who commented on Ajarn's condition, who has since apologised.

Edited by bkkmadness

Thread closed for 24 hours so you all can cool off a bit  :D

i'll review opening it again tommorrow

DK

I suspect ole Rayong won't last very long on TV :o

I guess not Doc, :D

Thread is open again, keep it nice and respectfull.

First one that starts flaming again (or complaining) gets a summer holiday for free :D

DK

First one that starts flaming again (or complaining) gets a summer holiday for free  :o

I think most of the hotheads are sleeping it off now Darky! :D

In any case, the day shift has been exploring business ideas over here.

:D

The question, is can an individual farang really be successful and make a lot of money in business here in Thailand? Naturally one hears of so and so opening a bar or running a computer repair service. I have yet to see one Farang really achieve multi millionaire status, here in Thailand. Why is this so? Ideas and comments please (Please let's exclude those in the entertaiment field)

Sorry, thought it was time to repeat the opener.

The OP asks whether it is possible to be financially succesful (read millionaire) in LoS as a foreigner. I suppose it is possible - I suppose (reading earlier posts) that there are some around too.

I am not sure if the "entrepreneur" looking for his/her pot of gold, would generally be in the same group as expats in LoS. It seems to me their goals are not strictly compatible. Sure, there will be those that can make it, but was there goal to come to LoS and become wealthy, or to come to LoS period. Seems an odd destination to me if money is your goal; there must be easier, richer, nations that could source your dream.

Now if your goal is to enjoy life and you come to LoS to do that, it seems unlikely that you will miss out the point of your expatriation to be super-rich (which you probably would be in LoS with $m).

If, as part of your dream to come to LoS, you seize an opportunity there that makes you super-rich, then that makes more sense to me. It possibly accounts for the few mentioned above, that are here now. However, was did you actually come for that reason? I would hazzard "not".

If you came already wealthy, and business wise, then it probably stands to reason that you could continue making money here, but then you have not come here to achieve richness, you came pre-armed.

I may be wrong. I am not a millionaire ($£E). Sometimes I've been wealthy and had new Jaguar cars (OK only one new Jaguar car, but she was a beauty), sometimes I've been so skint I could not afford to put petrol in my car. Such is life. I do not know any millionaires (actuially I do, but not in LoS). I know some that have blown hundreds of thousands of dollars like water, but they were Thai. So, I could likely be very wrong, but it is my take on it.

PS: Ajarn/Rayong/etc - go on, shake hands and make up :o

Edited by wolf5370

The simple and short answer is 'YES' absolutley. I used to go to Phuket for a couple of months every year, and does anybody remember 'Kevin'? The Canadian guy who was the owner of the 'Shark Disco'? Well he was making up to 1 million baht per night in the clubs heyday. No wonder the Thais got Jealous and threw him out!!!

And I also read in the Thai newspapers early 2002 that the wealthiest person in Thailand is NOT Thaksin, but a British guy.

So yes its very possible, but not with a girlie beer bar though! :o

The simple and short answer is 'YES' absolutley. I used to go to Phuket for a couple of months every year, and does anybody remember 'Kevin'? The Canadian guy who was the owner of the 'Shark Disco'? Well he was making up to 1 million baht per night in the clubs heyday. No wonder the Thais got Jealous and threw him out!!!

And I also read in the Thai newspapers early 2002 that the wealthiest person in Thailand is NOT Thaksin, but a British guy.

So yes its very possible, but not with a girlie beer bar though!  :o

Some of the upscale girlie beer bars in ratchada seem to do well. Owned by thais though and not exactly beer bars.

Well he was making up to 1 million baht per night in the clubs heyday. No wonder the Thais got Jealous and threw him out!!!

Anyone remember the story of "Killing the goose that lays golden eggs". Wonder how well that club (or its replacement?) is doing now, presumeably in Thai hands.

Could have been worse, he could have been accused of a crime and chased out of Thailand and lost his business to his Thai partner. Heard this happens in the communications business (satelite companies) from time to time - hint, hint.

Could have been worse, he could have been accused of a crime and chased out of Thailand and lost his business to his Thai partner.

Erm.....he DID get accused of a crime (putting Thailand into disrepute) and he DID get chased out of Thailand (deported to Canada), and yes he DID lose his business (a policeman took it over).

So is its the forums consensus, that if a farang was to go to Thailand, become wealthy... that farang could be basically kicked out of the country?

I hope not, because that sure does make a farang stay in his/her home country.

(wolf5370 @ 2005-06-10 22:15:40)

Could have been worse, he could have been accused of a crime and chased out of Thailand and lost his business to his Thai partner.

Erm.....he DID get accused of a crime (putting Thailand into disrepute) and he DID get chased out of Thailand (deported to Canada), and yes he DID lose his business (a policeman took it over).

(Sorry, didn't know the details). A policman you say. Mmmm, sounds familiar, he didn't go into politics did he? :o

Anyone who lives here more than a few years should become a permanent resident, and eventually a citizen. Then you are no more easy to "kick out" of Thailand than a Thai person.

I wouldn't bet on it. Are there still quotas on citizenship?

Edited by wolf5370

There is no country in the world where foreigners have the same rights as citizens (just ask those poor f**ks sitting in Guantanamo Bay). If you want to live in a place and be secure, you need to at least have PR ("green card" equivalent) or citizenship. Thailand is no different. Neither PR nor citizenship is any harder to get than most places in the world.

There is no country in the world where foreigners have the same rights as citizens (just ask those poor f**ks sitting in Guantanamo Bay).  If you want to live in a place and be secure, you need to at least have PR ("green card" equivalent) or citizenship.  Thailand is no different.  Neither PR nor citizenship is any harder to get than most places in the world.

Thailand is a d a m m sight harder than the U.K!!! just get in the back of a lorry to the U.K when you get here say you are claiming asylum get everything given for free then wait 3 years then you can get a British passport, wow that sounds difficult. Wish it was that easy in Thailand :o

Edited by daleyboy