Success In Business

I don't think it's QUITE so easy in the UK. You mean to say if a Thai person showed up illegally and claimed "asylum", that he or she would be welcomed with open arms and given a passport after four years? Get REAL! Most Thais couldn't even travel to the UK legally as a TOURIST if they tried, much less stay there legally.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is a d a m m sight harder than the U.K!!! just get in the back of a lorry to the U.K when you get here say you are claiming asylum get everything given for free then wait 4 years then you can get a British passport, wow that sounds difficult. Wish it was that easy in Thailand
Yeah, too true....and when a political party (Conservatives) mentions putting limits on non-assylum immigration (and we are talking tens of thousands a year as the limit - not 100) it is accused left right and centre of being racist and insiting racial hatred!
I don't think it's QUITE so easy in the UK. You mean to say if a Thai person showed up illegally and claimed "asylum", that he or she would be welcomed with open arms and given a passport after four years? Get REAL! Most Thais couldn't even travel to the UK legally as a TOURIST if they tried, much less stay there legally.

Unlikely as an illegal, but even as an overstay (student etc) - if they have been in the UK for 10 years or have created ties (children/wife/husband/etc), they get residency. If they are married to a UK citizen, then after 3 years, they can have a passport. I am married to a Thai now for 8 years coming up, can I have a Thai passport just because of this fact - er, no. Plenty of ring through which to jump and a quota to slot in under, etc.

Edited by wolf5370

I don't think it's QUITE so easy in the UK.  You mean to say if a Thai person showed up illegally and claimed "asylum", that he or she would be welcomed with open arms and given a passport after four years?  Get REAL!  Most Thais couldn't even travel to the UK legally as a TOURIST if they tried, much less stay there legally.

I wasnt talking about Thai people in particular but yes i do think if a Thai person turned up in the U.K illegally and claimed asylum, if they have a genuine case then they will be given a passport after three years, you just have to watch the news to see that the govt has introduced the swearing loyalty to the U.K speech which all must complete in order to gain a U.K passport.

My wife can get a U.K passport if she wants because she has been here 3 years, yet if i moved to Thailand and stayed there on visas for 3 years would i get a Thai passport?mmmm i dont think so

Just a note i thught it was four years but i do believe wolf is right on the 3 years bit so have edited to change to 3 years just in case anyone is getting confused

Edited by daleyboy

You make it all sound so easy. Yet having read this forum for quite a while now, I see dozens and dozens of UK men married to Thai nationals who can't even get a visa for their spouse to get in the country the first time. You're talking like the British Embassy here has a revolving door and big ol' welcoming arms, when in fact they treat Thai women -- even those married to their citizens -- pretty shittily in a lot of cases.

I will not argue against that one Soi - the Embassy DO treat Thai's wanting to visit like dirt.

Different when they are in the country though. The UK is so PC, it bends over backwards (and takes a good spanking) to help the immigrants - in fact the less they have (and sometimes seemingly the less they deserve) the more they get!!!

I think the Embassy is hidden from the PC public sitting over here in Wireless Road that they can get away with being the total opposite.

You make it all sound so easy.  Yet having read this forum for quite a while now, I see dozens and dozens of UK men married to Thai nationals who can't even get a visa for their spouse to get in the country the first time.  You're talking like the British Embassy here has a revolving door and big ol' welcoming arms, when in fact they treat Thai women -- even those married to their citizens -- pretty shittily in a lot of cases.

You've not seen the Dutch laws yet.....the WALL around The Netherlands is so high now...you wouldn't believe it!!!

The newest law (just postponed a while for some reasons) will be that every visa-applicant who wants to live in Holland with their spouses are obligated to study Dutch first in their homecountry (and do an exam!), before they can apply for a visa...and I'm not talking about costs yet... :o

LaoPo

You make it all sound so easy.  Yet having read this forum for quite a while now, I see dozens and dozens of UK men married to Thai nationals who can't even get a visa for their spouse to get in the country the first time.  You're talking like the British Embassy here has a revolving door and big ol' welcoming arms, when in fact they treat Thai women -- even those married to their citizens -- pretty shittily in a lot of cases.

Youre not getting the point i am trying to make,i totally agree with you i know it is difficult to get your wife to this country it took me 4 attempts to get her here and they treated us really shittily , but do you actually think if i went to immigration 4 times asking for a permanent visa to live in Thailand they would give it to me?

Now my wife is here and has lived here for 3 years she can now apply for a U.K passport, we choose not to beacuse we think it will cause problems if we are to try and set up business in Thailand in the future. I know of 2 other people that have gone through the process of getting said U.K passport and found it very simple and hassle free.

Also my wifes visa is a permanent visa with no limitaions on time, even if i got a visa as a spouse to my wife it would still only be on a yearly basis.

One of my family in the US married a foreigner from a third world country (Latin America). You wouldn't believe the demeaning, insulting hoops THEY had to jump through.

I think too many people here complain without really thinking how good foreigners have it in Thailand. As a Thai, try getting a US or UK tourist visa first. Then once there, see if they put up with "visa runs" where you are basically living in the country permanently as a "tourist" -- except for a border crossing every couple months -- with no limitation. The US INS would be all over your ass in about six months, and you'd probably lose the right to revisit the country ever again.

And if a Thai tried to claim "asylum", they'd laugh in your face.

LaoPo,

I am not sure that it can stand up to real pressure though.

In the UK they used to have the Primary Purpose rule. This allowed the Embassy to say they beleived that the applicants primary purpose was to live in the UK rather than with their spouse. This is totaly subjective and allowed for some stupid decisions (aswel as many good ones too I suppose!).

However, I know of a guy that had this applied to him after he married a girl 40 years his junior after meeting her two days previously. The Embassy told her to p*ss off. He made some call, got the name of a Human Rights lawyer in Germany, flew over and engaged him. He took out a writ in the European Court of Human Rights on the grounds that it is immoral and against human rights to separate a family. He flew back to BKK with the writ and served it on the Embassy. They, of course, backed down and he brought her to the UK.

Youre not getting the point i am trying to make,i totally agree with you i know it is difficult to get your wife to this country it took me 4 attempts to get her here and they treated us really shittily , but do you actually think if i went to immigration 4 times asking for a permanent visa to live in Thailand they would give it to me?

Now my wife is here and has lived here for 3 years she can now apply for a U.K passport, we choose not to beacuse we think it will cause problems if we are to try and set up business in Thailand in the future. I know of 2 other people that have gone through the process of getting said U.K passport and found it very simple and hassle free.

Also my wifes visa is a permanent visa with no limitaions on time, even if i got a visa as a spouse to my wife it would still only be on a yearly basis.

Getting Thai PR is soooo easy! Three years here with meaningful employment -- no need for a spouse -- and you're in. I've never known anyone who applied and was rejected. A very simple process, for those who bother.

Daleyboy,

My wife has dual nationality. It is accepted by both the UK and Thai governments. She has no problems owning businesses in LoS or the UK (she has had both) and the same with land - although I had to sign my rights to it away (strange she didn't have to do that on the land we own in the UK!). The Thai Consititution gives ALL Thais the right to own land - it is illegal for her to be denied.

The Passport is soooooo much better than the residency. When going abroad the UK Passport allows access to just about everywhere without having to visit consulates for Visas etc. It also stops the queueing at Passport Control back in old Blighty. A definate worthwhile step - they have just introduced a language test though I believe (my wife did not have to dio this - she just had to do a swearing and that was all).

One of my family in the US married a foreigner from a third world country (Latin America).  You wouldn't believe the demeaning, insulting hoops THEY had to jump through.

I think too many people here complain without really thinking how good foreigners have it in Thailand.  As a Thai, try getting a US or UK tourist visa first.  Then once there, see if they put up with "visa runs" where you are basically living in the country permanently as a "tourist" -- except for a border crossing every couple months -- with no limitation.  The US INS would be all over your ass in about six months, and you'd probably lose the right to revisit the country ever again.

And if a Thai tried to claim "asylum", they'd laugh in your face.

Mmmm not sure i get your point soi, as i have said my wifes visa is for permanent residency she doesnt have to do visa runs she dosent see herself as tourist.

As far as getting gainful employment goes well here we go again my wife is a chef in a restaurant in the U.K will this stop her getting a U.K passport? no it wont in fact it will make it easier. Could i get a job as a chef in Thailand? no, would it help my visa application? no i would get kicked out of the country and blacklisted for life

You could get a job as a chef in Thailand if you took the time to apply for a work permit. Look in the kitchen of most of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Bangkok, and what will you see? Farang chefs working completely legally and happily. Can you do it on tourist status? Well, no...

Daleyboy,

My wife has dual nationality. It is accepted by both the UK and Thai governments. She has no problems owning businesses in LoS or the UK (she has had both) and the same with land - although I had to sign my rights to it away (strange she didn't have to do that on the land we own in the UK!). The Thai Consititution gives ALL Thais the right to own land - it is illegal for her to be denied.

The Passport is soooooo much better than the residency. When going abroad the UK Passport allows access to just about everywhere without having to visit consulates for Visas etc. It also stops the queueing at Passport Control back in old Blighty. A definate worthwhile step - they have just introduced a language test though I believe (my wife did not have to dio this - she just had to do a swearing and that was all).

Thanks for that wolf we werent sure how we stood legally, never really thought too hard about, i always thought it would be good for her to have U.K passport but she never wanted one beacuse she was worried about land ownership etc, think we will have to look into it again.

You could get a job as a chef in Thailand if you took the time to apply for a work permit.  Look in the kitchen of most of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Bangkok, and what will you see?  Farang chefs working completely legally and happily.  Can you do it on tourist status?  Well, no...

Fair point, the only thing about being to be achef in a 4 or 5 star hotel they would probably want years and years of experience yet when my wife came over and applied for a job she had only ever worked in a reception of a hotel but she still got the job. Yet what restrictions do we in the U.K have on foreigners? none my wife could go and work in the local supermarket stacking shelves if she wants she can go into the fields and pick potatoes if she wants we simply dont have a list of jobs she isnt allowed to do. Somehow i dont think i would be welcomed to come into tops or tesco and stack shelves for them.

Sorry soi but imho and i am sure alot of posters on here living in Thailand know it is alot harder getting a visa tan you make out , i cant comment on other countries immigration policies because i am not from there.

One more thing sorry to the op we seem to have dragged this :o

Edited by daleyboy

[The newest law (just postponed a while for some reasons) will be that every visa-applicant who wants to live in Holland with their spouses are obligated to study Dutch first in their homecountry (and do an exam!), before they can apply for a visa...and I'm not talking about costs yet... :o

What a great idea... :D

Coming from Australia I used to get so annoyed when a taxi driver from some Arab nation couldn't speak or understand English, or some bus/tram conductors from some Asian nation couldn't speak or understand English, and to be working there thay would have had to have Australian Citizenship or resident status... :D

The Thais also make it compulsory to speak their language with a certain degree of fluency before granting foreigners privileges such as residency.

:D

Actually, those days are ending.

America's demographics are changing, and those in the service industry, medical, teaching, sales etc. need to be able to serve people. In the area that I live, 80% of the pop. is hispanic and that is just based on those that bother, or dare to fill out the consensus forms. So the numbers are probably even higher than that.

The field that I am in, there are are only 9,000 of people with my back ground presently working, nation wide. So beggars can not be choosers.... I am sure my employers would rather have a person that speaks Spanish doing my job, but fortunatley because so few people do what I do... they could not be that picky.

Heck there are colleges in America today, that have a dominant number of employees, and they demand that their leaders (Deans, chancelors, presidents, etc.) of the Univ. also be hispanic. Even the public request that the leaders be someone "local." In other words.... Hispanic would be nice.

This is not a "bash" on hispanics, I am just telling you how things are, and how things are becoming.

Dakhar, don't sweat it. Some folks just like to fight. Such is life here, too.
Ajarn, has probably gone a lot further in Thailand, than he could of in his own home country.

Yes, and no.

If you're referring to income, I was a univesity teacher in California before I moved here 20 years ago. Experienced university teachers there are paid quite nicely, by most anyone's standards... If it was about making lots of money, I sure wouldn't have chosen Thailand... As others have suggested, it's likely a lot easier for folks to make big money in their own country, than here...

I came here for a change of pace, and to follow a dream of living in a foreign country. I was bored with California and wanted a new and more challenging direction in my life... I did fine for myself, I feel. I have no financial concerns, either.

My only intention in this thread is help give someone more information and some ideas about finding whatever they want here. Any small idea can be expanded...

Some here seem to want to throw a wrench in all this because of...? Maybe they're jealous of someone else's ability to 'make it' where they couldn't?.... Maybe it's something else... I really don't know...

After a couple of such posts from them, I really don't care much about them, either. Some would rather go a different direction, so I won't get in their way :D

Smart and creative folks can, and have, done quite well here for themselves in Thailand. Action is always the key, not talking/thinking about it. :D

I'm off to take my action with a relaxing swim. Bye. :o

Hi there. I just wanted to say that I found your advice very helpful and interesting. I am working on a small business right now and starting it with very little (read none) capital. So far feedback to my idea has been positive and I hope to be in business and in profit by July.

Dakhar, don't sweat it. Some folks just like to fight. Such is life here, too.
Ajarn, has probably gone a lot further in Thailand, than he could of in his own home country.

Yes, and no.

If you're referring to income, I was a univesity teacher in California before I moved here 20 years ago. Experienced university teachers there are paid quite nicely, by most anyone's standards... If it was about making lots of money, I sure wouldn't have chosen Thailand... As others have suggested, it's likely a lot easier for folks to make big money in their own country, than here...

I came here for a change of pace, and to follow a dream of living in a foreign country. I was bored with California and wanted a new and more challenging direction in my life... I did fine for myself, I feel. I have no financial concerns, either.

My only intention in this thread is help give someone more information and some ideas about finding whatever they want here. Any small idea can be expanded...

Some here seem to want to throw a wrench in all this because of...? Maybe they're jealous of someone else's ability to 'make it' where they couldn't?.... Maybe it's something else... I really don't know...

After a couple of such posts from them, I really don't care much about them, either. Some would rather go a different direction, so I won't get in their way :D

Smart and creative folks can, and have, done quite well here for themselves in Thailand. Action is always the key, not talking/thinking about it. :D

I'm off to take my action with a relaxing swim. Bye. :o

Hi there. I just wanted to say that I found your advice very helpful and interesting. I am working on a small business right now and starting it with very little (read none) capital. So far feedback to my idea has been positive and I hope to be in business and in profit by July.

I think I will be in profit too by July. I'm going to be a free lance Bar Girl. Just need to lose a little wieght, buy a few stunning numbers to ware and get a new mobile. I'll be in Walking street if anyones interested.

A definate worthwhile step - they have just introduced a language test though I believe (my wife did not have to dio this - she just had to do a swearing and that was all).

British efficiency:

UK Immigration: 'Now it is time for your swearing.'

Your wife: '<deleted> it is, mate!'

UK Immigration: 'Right-o, you're in. Next!'

:o

A good point was made earlier on this thread that the kind of person who wants to live in Thailand probably isn't too focused on making a fortune. I'd agree with that but add that that really is only the case for expats who want to be in Bangkok for the long term.

I know a handful of guys (in BK for the short time) in Technology Sales on achievable OTE's of US$100-200 based in Thailand - however they are working around the ASEAN region, are driven career focused guys who will be BK based for 18 months before they're posted to Shanghai, HK or Singapore. Its not really about the location for them - its all about the money.

In my office recently (Singapore) we had this guy in Bangkok, reasonably young and single on a salary of US$60K and we wanted him in Taipei. The negotiations went back and forth and finally we got an offer put together for him of US$100K - he turned it down to the disbelief of everyone in the office. Apart from myself that is. To him lifestyle was more important than career opportunities or making money and to be fair if that was the case he probably wasn't the guy for the Taiwan assignment.

My point being that with most guys in Thailand for the long term, making large sums of money really isn't at the top of their priorities.