Apple Ipad 3g Now Available In Thailand

Sunbelt Asia

If you don't care about paying hugely more than the list price nor the fact it's a first-gen product that will be much better in the second-generation, you can now get an Apple iPad 3G in Thailand.

* iPad 3G/Wi-Fi (16GB) Price: 35,000 Baht

* iPad 3G/Wi-Fi (32GB) Price: 40,000 Baht

* iPad 3G/Wi-Fi (64GB) Price: 43,000 Baht

Prices for the Wi-Fi only version:

* iPad Wi-Fi (16GB) Price: 22,700 Baht

* iPad Wi-Fi (32GB) Price: 26,700 Baht

* iPad Wi-Fi (64GB) Price: 31,200 Baht

Keep in mind you need to cut down a standard SIM to work in the 3G.

Info (in Thai only) here:

http://www.siampod.com/wp/2010/05/04/ipad-...market-thailand

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats ridiculous. It's only 3-4k baht more in the U.S for a 3g version but here 12k more on top of an already inflated price?

Just so people know it is extremely easy to turn your iphone into a wifi modem to connect edge or 3g to the wifi only ipad (if your iphone is jailbroken)

I was at MKB yesterday. There was no iPad 3G available. I asked 10 stores or more. From where you got your information?

The iPad Wi-Fi (32GB) I could bring down to 26000 Baht.

Edited by hobbit68

Try wave phone that was the price they gave me for the 16gb (28900thb that was 2 days ago and was the first batch they could get so very possibly out of stock already), they are there but limited quantities just now few more days they will be more choice certainly by monday. Mongkok / golden in HK has started to get them in big numbers now and that is usually where the MBK ones are sourced.

There is also a couple of sellers on pantip.com who have them at premium prices. Thai guy brought a few 32gb's in from vegas but not open to offer price 35k.

Edited by negreanu

They're available in Tukcom Pattaya (1st floor) too, prices from 25-29K depending on memory size. All 100% uncaged clean imports from Hong Kong (according to the shop owner). Am still not going to get into the Apple fold, just asked out of curiosity :)

They're available in Tukcom Pattaya (1st floor) too, prices from 25-29K depending on memory size. All 100% uncaged clean imports from Hong Kong (according to the shop owner). Am still not going to get into the Apple fold, just asked out of curiosity :D

Pretty good prices. Watch it, you may come over to the dark side yet... :)

People that buy or dont buy a product/tool based on the logo on the box make me laugh.

Well there are such things as trust, and past experience. If a company makes products that fail, I won't buy from them in the future - to avoid disappointment. Likewise, if they make stuff that works, I buy from them. That's why I always buy Samsung and never LG. I have a few LG appliances that either broke or work badly. All my Samsung stuff works great. So this will most certainly influence future buying decisions. I also bought a Toyota based on reputation e.g. the logo only. Worked out well, zero trouble in the first 4 years of ownership.

With Apple - well when they came out with a phone I knew I had to have it. Long history of obsessing over both design and usability meant it was going to be good, despite only having a touch screen and keypad which in 2007 seemed like a huge disadvantage. It exceeded all my expectations. Doesn't mean I'll buy all Apple products, but it does give me a certain bias.

Edited by nikster

Why would anyone pay a premium for a 1st gen product that is so clearly designed to make you buy it again next year when they add improvements - like a camera or a USB port or printing or...

Why would anyone pay a premium for a 1st gen product that is so clearly designed to make you buy it again next year when they add improvements - like a camera or a USB port or printing or...

So exactly when is the right time you buy something that you like and want to use? You wait for the 2nd generation or do u wait for the 3rd generation.

I am usually a early adopter of all new technologies. Have I bought the 1st gen ipad - yes (And loving it) will i buy the 2nd generation - yes will i buy the 3rd generation - yes.

I work hard so can afford to pay in my view not a high premium to have this or any other product i wish. If you can afford it and want it go buy it and enjoy it. :)

There is never a good tie to buy any technology because tomorrow there will always be something better. Depends how you wish to live your life i guess.

Edited by negreanu

So exactly when is the right time you buy something that you like and want to use? You wait for the 2nd generation or do u wait for the 3rd generation.

I'm pretty much an early adopter myself. But I refuse to buy something that is so obviously underendowed. I've used the iPad and it's a nice piece of gear, well built and beautiful. But, come on! Jobs didn't think people would want a videoconferencing camera? Or maybe to be able to make a phone call? Or to print out a page? Or to put photos in without first uploading them to iTunes? Nope. This gear just screams "BUSINESS PLAN." You admit you're willing to buy every iteration. Jobs loves fanbois like you. I do want a slate but I think I'll wait for one that is geared toward the consumer and not the balance sheet.

I am moving from Samsung to LG, on the other hand. Samsung stuff keeps on breaking on me, and their service center is pathetic. LG products by quality might not be any better than Samsung, but at least their service (Thonburi service center) is absolutely amazing.

Really? Funny that :) Well I can only go by my own experience. In the words of my very wise ex-boss: Good customer service is worth more than good products. When things break and customers get no service, they won't come back. When stuff works, they think it's OK. But when stuff breaks and they receive great customer service, they love it more than the stuff that works. There were studies on it. It's that feeling of being taken care of...

I'm pretty much an early adopter myself. But I refuse to buy something that is so obviously underendowed. I've used the iPad and it's a nice piece of gear, well built and beautiful. But, come on! Jobs didn't think people would want a videoconferencing camera? Or maybe to be able to make a phone call? Or to print out a page? Or to put photos in without first uploading them to iTunes? Nope. This gear just screams "BUSINESS PLAN." You admit you're willing to buy every iteration. Jobs loves fanbois like you. I do want a slate but I think I'll wait for one that is geared toward the consumer and not the balance sheet.

There's a camera connection kit with which you can import photos directly.

There's no front facing camera - apparently Apple didn't think the iPad needed to be the most amazing video phone ever. I don't know why really seems like a no-brainer. Wait... maybe they didn't get iChat ported in time? They'd want to have iChat, which has a really fantastic video conferencing function, leaps and bounds better than skype. Or maybe they found Skype / iChat with video would go through the battery in an hour. Encoding and encrypting video and audio is pretty CPU-intensive.

A phone call? No I don't want to make a phone call from my iPad. That's where Apple shines - unlike most other companies they carefully manage features. Acer and others will thrown every ridiculous feature they can on their machines and then end up with unusable crap - many features, none of which work properly.

Dammit I am still waiting for the USPS to deliver mine... anyone know where to get them and how much they are in Chiang Mai? I need 2 anyway (I think...) :)

Edited by nikster

Acer and others will thrown every ridiculous feature they can on their machines and then end up with unusable crap - many features, none of which work properly.

You know, the machines we choose to work with are such a personal decision, it's hard to say anything bad about who chooses what. I will say that, yes, some companies throw way too much crap on their gear. The nice thing about that is you don't have to use it all. I don't use a lot of the features on m Nexus One nor even on my HP laptop. The thing is, they're there if I want them. Or alternatives. On the iPad, there are just too many features, seemingly, intentionally left off. So users are paying a premium price for a bare bones system that demands you buy more and more. That Acer, when it comes out, will be a bargain price for fully fleshed out experience. One's not all bad, the other's not all good. I do hope you and your iPads are happy together.

By the way, if I sound a bit pensive about this, it's because I was really planning to buy an iPad and I'm a long time Apple critic. I've always thought they built good gear but I've never liked being locked into their ecosystem.

Sorry to post twice but somehow the last bit of my message was truncated.

I was going to say Apple's decisions made me a bit sad since now I have to wait even longer to get something I really want. The JooJoo seems like a disaster. HP has pulled it's slate until they retool for Web OS (dropping Win 7 certainly seemed like a good idea to me) and other systems seem a way off, too. In the end, I'm glad I waited for the Nexus One rather than buy an iPhone. I hope, in the end, I will be glad I waited for something other than the iPad. Rumor has it Google is now working on one. But it took them so long to get the gPhone out and it seems they will be using Chrome as their OS instead of Android.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see about that Acer Nikster promised...

Sorry to post twice but somehow the last bit of my message was truncated.

I was going to say Apple's decisions made me a bit sad since now I have to wait even longer to get something I really want. The JooJoo seems like a disaster. HP has pulled it's slate until they retool for Web OS (dropping Win 7 certainly seemed like a good idea to me) and other systems seem a way off, too. In the end, I'm glad I waited for the Nexus One rather than buy an iPhone. I hope, in the end, I will be glad I waited for something other than the iPad. Rumor has it Google is now working on one. But it took them so long to get the gPhone out and it seems they will be using Chrome as their OS instead of Android.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see about that Acer Nikster promised...

Everyone loves to hate Apple. However everyone always does not highlight what they have done exceedingly well in their products and concentrate on the short comings.

I have an iPhone and a nexus one. I so wanted to like the nexus and for some aspects I do the screen for one is awesome and most of the os is decent.

The one thing that apple and developers for iPhone and ipad have got right is the app store. It totally makes both devices. No competitor has anything in the same league and I mean no where near.

It's awesome lying on the couch on a Sunday morning with the ipad reading your rss feeds in newspaper format and then perhaps browsing the app store to see what catches your eye and you wish to try.

Apple have got it right as much as it pains people to say it. Yes they can improve it in future generations but right now they have a product that is in most ways a game changer combined with he app store it really will not be beat and I think hp etc. Have just come to realize it.

As an addendum... people also tend to forget how big of an advancement Apple puts into a new product. The iPhone came out, and people listed what it couldn't do, kind of forgetting in the process that this was the first usable touch phone, and actually the first generic touch computer ever. Pretty much everything about it was radical and revolutionary. It didn't have an app store until 1 year later - because Apple couldn't figure out how to do it any quicker. The whole radical OS X port to a phone needed to be cleaned up first.

No other company takes these risks. The iPad is exceptional even by Apple's standards as it's introducing a new product category that hasn't been there before.

Call me an apologist but writing my above response I spent 5 minutes thinking about the missing front facing camera and found a few good reasons why it's not there already. I believe it's because of technical issues more than anything else.

Call me an apologist but writing my above response I spent 5 minutes thinking about the missing front facing camera and found a few good reasons why it's not there already. I believe it's because of technical issues more than anything else.

I read also it my something about apple trying to get the ipad supported and used in photo sensitive areas such as government installations etc. etc. who knows.

Chiang Mai:

16GB+3G: 31,500

16GB Wifi: 23,500

Seems to cost about 3k baht getting them to CM from BKK. $200 premium - too much :)

@Phil Conners: The iPad isn't sold in HK. So whatever these are they're not "from Hong Kong".

Yes they are from HK suppliers who import them from the US (No import duty into HK). So they bring them into HK and then distribute to SIN,TPE,BKK etc.

Mongkok Phone centre and Golden in particular. Stacks of them there and i literally mean stacks of them piled up behind dealers.

Thats where MBK dealers source them not direct from US.

Edited by negreanu

Yes they are from HK suppliers who import them from the US (No import duty into HK). So they bring them into HK and then distribute to SIN,TPE,BKK etc.

Mongkok Phone centre and Golden in particular. Stacks of them there and i literally mean stacks of them piled up behind dealers.

Thats where MBK dealers source them not direct from US.

=> I see! Interesting! Any updates on MBK prices/sources...

Well let me fight my way through the war zone to try to find the prices out. LOL Nobody should be making any trips anywhere near MBK for the moment.

Now live on Channel 7... hard-core Apple fanboy emerges from MBK, using his iPad as a shield from the snipers...

Duh!!

Sorry kinda forgot about that little detail...