Apple Ipad 3g Now Available In Thailand

Sunbelt Asia

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got it. Took 6 weeks to get here from the US, $30 shipping and passed customs with no problems (or fees)

The biggest surprise is how well the keyboard works. This will be the wifes next computer.

I am in heaven, this is fantastic! Posted from the iPad :)

Ps: was saving 4000 baht worth a 6 week wait + asking a favor from friends? Nope definitely not!

Edited by nikster

How does it feel to hold? I was thinking of getting one but I saw some people walking around with it and it looks so big. Is it comfortable to surf on for any length of time?

If it wasn't as big as it is it would not deliver as nice an experience, it really is exquisite to surf the net and check email etc while standing around or better to be lounging comfortably. I hated doing that on my iphone, now its all pleasure. I usually hold the ipad in one hand and browse the net or check emails while standing on the BTS.

This is basically what netbooks should have been. The ultimate web and email machine. And more. Basically the ultimate companion computer, but not standalone since all syncing etc is done via the "main" computer. I am now converting all my videos and movies to watch on this, looks great. That screen is just really high quality, looks as good or better as the one on my $3000 laptop.

Most people really seem to love their iPads I will have to get a chance to play with one to see if I really want one.

If you get one you have to download the free iBooks from the app store first thing. It's unbelievably well done and despite the fact I never in the past saw the benefit of ebooks over normal books, I love it. This might very well replace books for me.

There are also lots and lots of free books, lots of classics. I have Alice in wonderland, Winnie the poo, and the complete works of shakespeare already. All free, in color, with illustrations. Still blown away by this.

HI

does anyone knows what the current prices at MBK or anywhere else? for an iPad 3G, are now

Have they changed since the release price at the start of this topic?

PS

what's the best 3G package on offer just now

true move have a 3gs package for 700 Baht 1GB with 300 mins of call

Edited by bolt

HI

does anyone knows what the current prices at MBK or anywhere else? for an iPad 3G, are now

Have they changed since the release price at the start of this topic?

PS

what's the best 3G package on offer just now

true move have a 3gs package for 700 Baht 1GB with 300 mins of call

Truemove 3G 599 for unlimited data on the 3GS

I am hoping Truemove will come out with an iPad SIM, should be a bit less than 599, or actually, could be just limited by hours that would be no problem either. It would just be that much more comfortable to whip out the iPad wherever I am, cafes, restaurants, etc, and be able to browse the web. WiFi is not nearly widespread enough for this, and even if it is there's often a login or password - inconvenient. Much better to get it out and start surfing.

Anyone got the 3G version working here?

Yes. I have a friend who bought a 3G model, bought an "iPhone unlimited" package from DTAC, trimmed the sim card, and it worked with no problems.

hi..do you know how much the unlimited DTAC SIM is per month?

Now I have a True SIM (unlimited data) for B599 + VAT per month for my iPhone 3GS

I understand that the iPhone 4G (with micro SIM like the iPad) is coming out next month, so Im hoping True or DTAC will come out with the micro SIMS too.

I was at MBK yesterday. iPad Wifi 32 GB is at 24000 now. But I still wait for the 3G version. Anyone knows about a good offer? At MBK they have still crazy prizes for the 3G.

Can you recall the iPad 3G prices even in approximates?

Edited by RKeith

I was at MBK yesterday. iPad Wifi 32 GB is at 24000 now. But I still wait for the 3G version. Anyone knows about a good offer? At MBK they have still crazy prizes for the 3G.

Can you recall the iPad 3G prices even in approximates?

I just asked about the 32 GB version at MBK. The price for the 3G was 39000. In many shops it was sold out. But this price is still too much for me. In Germany you can buy the 32GB 3G for 27000 now. In July the iPad officially comes to Thailand. I guess the prices in MBK will fall on a normal level than.

n July the iPad officially comes to Thailand

My understanding that Thailand is not on the July 2010 international ipad release list.

True. But I am eyes wide open for Singapore to be in the list because our official Apple stuff, from my understanding, comes from there (?). 

n July the iPad officially comes to Thailand

My understanding that Thailand is not on the July 2010 international ipad release list.

Yes, you are right. It will be Sep/Oct that the iPad comes to Thailand.

But I guess when the iPad will be available in all Apple stores in Hong Kong and Singapore, the prices will fall to a fair level in MBK.

release dates of the iPad:

May 28: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

July: Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore.

I understand that the iPhone 4G (with micro SIM like the iPad) is coming out next month, so Im hoping True or DTAC will come out with the micro SIMS too.

Well they'll most definitely come out with micro sims. The only question is when they'll start selling the 4G iPhone. So far with every release Thailand has been lagging by months. But who knows maybe Apple has now learned to anticipate demand properly and set it up so it can actually make enough of these devices. But clearly, once the 4G is officially released in Thailand, micro SIMs will be here too.

Does DTAC provide a 3G service now? I find True 3G extremely useful, even if it's a bit unstable. A world of difference to EDGE.

Well they'll most definitely come out with micro sims. The only question is when they'll start selling the 4G iPhone. So far with every release Thailand has been lagging by months. But who knows maybe Apple has now learned to anticipate demand properly and set it up so it can actually make enough of these devices. But clearly, once the 4G is officially released in Thailand, micro SIMs will be here too. 

Unofficially, I'm hoping the 4G iPhones will make their way to MBK just like the iPads, guessing 3 to 4 weeks after it's out in the US. Although, early adapters have to take the hit of the premium pricing, I'll be biting the bullet. Then off to the pharmacy for a scalpel and 3 or 4 cheap sim cards for practice before I butcher my post paid sim.

it doesnt look like DTAC provides 3G services yet

http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/network/gprs_edge.html

I really like 3G connection from True (as internet browsing on a laptop with iPhone tethered is so much faster than with turtle "Edge" connection) but 3G seems to be only available in super central locations in the city....even when riding on the Skytrain, the 3G conneciton drops down to Edge connection in non super central zones....

cant wait for iPhone (next gen), but can wait a few months for iPad 3G until the prices come down substantially in Thailand.....

hi..do you know how much the unlimited DTAC SIM is per month?

999 baht for unlimited EDGE access for me. But I'm on an old plan, you can probably get it cheaper now.

get the True 3G unlimited for 599 baht per month....much better deal....

get the True 3G unlimited for 599 baht per month....much better deal....

What's the reliability and coverage like? Speed is ok?

reliability is OK for internet browsing....but coverage seems to be in central urban areas only....

BTW I saw some announcement today that 3G spectrum licenses will be issued in September, and "3.9G" (whatever that is) will be available by the end of the year.

I don't believe a word of it, but there you go.

The current strategy seems to be a silent 3G rollout by the carriers - licenses or not. True 3G is already working in many places in Thailand. Not in outer BKK (BKK seems to be behind now, strangely). But in Chiang Mai, Samui, and even Pai, True 3G is up and running. Now I figure if it's working in Pai, it must be working in other places too.

DTAC seems to have some sort of 3G in downtown BKK. I have heard this second hand, don't know what the deal is with that.

TOT has 3G and offers it through a smattering of MVNOs. There's also rumors AIS has a clause in its concession agreement that allows AIS customers to roam on TOT 3G so they eventually will do that. AIS also has the 3G trial in Chiang Mai but i don't think this will go anywhere as it's using a 3G spectrum that is only supported by one or two phones out there (and not the popular ones).

So it seems each of the three major operators has some way of providing 3G services even without official licenses.

What's preventing the 3G rollout to proceed is the same as always: TOT and CAT would stand to lose "concession" revenue for operators who switch to 3G.