Patpong Street Traders Rebellion

rak sa_ngop

Yesterday, Tuesday night, all the street stalls were erected for business in Patpong 1 as usual but hardly any traders had laid out their goods for display (9.00 pm).

I asked several people and the replies were on the lines of 'rent too expensive'. I know that the rents per stall (about 2.5m x 2m) are ridiculously high, 30,000 baht a month if I remember correctly, so it seems that there may be some 're-negotiations' in place.

Does anybody know the more complete story?

Probably related to the red insurgent-caused collapse of tourism. For the time being anyway the vendors have a point that their spaces are worth much less rent. However, wouldn't they have written contracts and if so, are they meaningless?

The story is the reds have destroyed tourism there and there aren't enough people going to Silom at the moment to make it worth while

The story is the reds have destroyed tourism there and there aren't enough people going to Silom at the moment to make it worth while

any one know where the thaniya ladies are going? ive always wondered there are so many of them and so few customers. how do they make baht??????

and now with fewer asians walking the area, they must be desperate.

Awww.. poor Patpong traders!! Such lovely people. Rest assured, they'll be back ripping off tourists and selling fake goods when the next high season kicks in. :) (And quite possibly even this European summer)

Now let's hear it for the poor Patpong bar owners!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I believe I read somewhere that the Silom vendors were asking their landlords to share in the redshirt induced downturn by only charging half rent for April. Maybe the Patpong landlord/s wont come to the picture or there is just not enough business at the moment to bother unpacking. I used to sit and watch them packing and unpacking that stuff night after night and believe most of them really do work for their money.

Edited by ThaiFelix

Indeed, they do work for their earnings. Those that complain can always try to do it themselves...but I venture they would suddenly see that they are not getting rich. Just trying to survive. The only ones getting rich is the family owning the street...

Indeed, they do work for their earnings. Those that complain can always try to do it themselves...but I venture they would suddenly see that they are not getting rich. Just trying to survive. The only ones getting rich is the family owning the street...

How can someone own the street.. isnt that public property ?

Awww.. poor Patpong traders!! Such lovely people. Rest assured, they'll be back ripping off tourists and selling fake goods when the next high season kicks in. :) (And quite possibly even this European summer)

Now let's hear it for the poor Patpong bar owners!

:D

Probably related to the red insurgent-caused collapse of tourism. For the time being anyway the vendors have a point that their spaces are worth much less rent. However, wouldn't they have written contracts and if so, are they meaningless?

"Treaties are like roses and young girls; they last while they last."

The road between Surawong and Silom is private property.

:) TIT

No it's private street as is Soi 4. OK Soi 4 is a Cul de Sac but.... I'm sure there are more.

Somewhere Off Lad Prao 105 there is even a guy collecting 5 baht from every motorist using his street as a short cut.

I learn something new everyday .. thanks

I learn something new everyday .. thanks

I just wonder it the rich family that earns about 7 million baht a month from rent on this one street pays tax on the income.