Sunday Lunch Recommendations

Thaihog

Recommendations for Sunday lunch.

As I posted on the other thread the Holiday Inn takes a lot of beating. Not the cheapest, but if you are a resident then you are entitled to get a VIP card which gives you 20% discount which works out at 450 baht. Kids under 7 eat for free which is a bonus. For another 250 baht you can have unlimited wine or beer :)

Another place I've seen advertising Sunday lunch buffet is the Le Crystal Steak House at JJ Market, 395 Net..... Anybody tried there yet.

The Pub has been mentioned, it's okay but I find the portions very small (please sir can I have another potato) :D

IMHO the Queen Vic has gone downhill since the chef quit a few months ago :D

Cheers.....

Edited by eek
exclusion removed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recommendations for Sunday lunch.

As I posted on the other thread the Holiday Inn takes a lot of beating. Not the cheapest, but if you are a resident then you are entitled to get a VIP card which gives you 20% discount which works out at 450 baht. For another 250 baht you can have unlimited wine or beer :)

Another place I've seen advertising Sunday lunch buffet is the Le Crystal Steak House at JJ Market, 395 Net..... Anybody tried there yet.

The Pub has been mentioned, it's okay but I find the portions very small (please sir can I have another potato) :D

Cheers

I hear good things about the Holiday Inn I'll have to give it a go, The Steakhouse by Le Crystal overpriced and overrated. The Pub to me the food is a grease trap, gave up on the place two years ago. The QV have not been inside for two years they really impressed me. So whats that leave? Any suggestions.

I cannot understand why anyone would exclude The Olde Bell ...

The food there is as authentic as you can get, the prices are excellent and the service is good and unobtrusive. I have never had a problem there ... I really would like to know also what exactly do you mean by "after that other shenanigans"?

The owners - Pedr and Beer - run a fine pub by any standards and are easily the most friendly of the English pubs in Chiang Mai ... and most certainly could never be accused of being mean in portioning or warmth and hospitality ...

For mine and most long-term expats money The Olde Bell wins hands down against all competition!!

Just out of interest -

What does the Sunday Lunch at the Holiday Inn consist of? is it a Sunday Roast, in the British tradition with various roast meats, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, vegetables and condiments. Or is it a North American style buffet with mashed potatoes etc?

Just curious.

Recommendations for Sunday lunch except the Olde Bell.

As I posted on the other thread the Holiday Inn takes a lot of beating. Not the cheapest, but if you are a resident then you are entitled to get a VIP card which gives you 20% discount which works out at 450 baht. For another 250 baht you can have unlimited wine or beer :)

Cheers

I hear good things about the Holiday Inn I'll have to give it a go, The Steakhouse by Le Crystal overpriced and overrated. The Pub to me the food is a grease trap, gave up on the place two years ago. The QV have not been inside for two years they really impressed me. So whats that leave? Any suggestions.

I also find it odd to exclude The Olde Belle, although I understand that this is in response to Milwall_Fan's (paid for through advertising) self promotion. The Olde Belle is certainly a great venue for Sunday lunch and so should not be included, but the comment I really take offence to is the one relating to The Pub. I agree that he doesn't do the best job as a host (cantankerous bugger?), but the portions are not small. I haven't been for a while, but what I always found was that my plate had lots of meat (I always chose Lamb), but not enough (very cheap in Chiang Mai) vegetables. I solved this through the incredibly unlikely ploy of asking for more vegetables, and Yorkshire Puddings too - the net effect: a plate of both with no charge, every time! In fact after I went on a regular basis (twice a month perhaps?) these arrived without me even asking. I must admit it was a bit strange to be faced with lots of meat that I couldn't eat without some vegetables to help them down, but you can certainly get them if you ask for them...

Top tip for The Pub: just serve more vegetables and Yorkshire puddings (cheap) with your generous (expensive) portions of meat! With the extra dish it is a great experience; which reminds me, I must start to go again! :)

Thaihog: It hardly seems fair to exclude me from a thread because the mods delete your posts! I am not a moderator nor do i have any influence over their activities. I can report if I think something is wrong - just the same as you can. For the record I did not press the report button over off topic comments on the Sunday Lunch thread.

Toolz: I say to you as well, I had nothing to do with the moderation of my Sunday lunch thread

Each to their own, Thaihog. I had the dubious pleasure of a week at the Amari once, and after two days was out looking for places to eat tasty food.

Take your point about the other thread covering the Olde Bell though, so it needs no further mention in this one.

Having said that, if I want a decent Sunday roast, I generally cook it myself.

I am cofused, the title of this thread is Sunday lunch, so then later we are told that it is limited to only something called an "English roast" . So is a "Sunday lunch" limited to an englsh roast? If this is the case and I wish to eat lunch on sunday.....but not said roast, what should I call iit?

Thaihog: It hardly seems fair to exclude me from a thread because the mods delete your posts! I am not a moderator nor do i have any influence over their activities. I can report if I think something is wrong - just the same as you can. For the record I did not press the report button over off topic comments on the Sunday Lunch thread.

Toolz: I say to you as well, I had nothing to do with the moderation of my Sunday lunch thread

You certainly crashed down on me for no reason in your thread, plus my posts were deleted.

The OP has created this thread as an open discussion about Sunday lunches as there is more to Chiang Mai than the Olde Bell, so don`t worry about it, nothing personal.

I cannot understand why anyone would exclude The Olde Bell ...

The food there is as authentic as you can get, the prices are excellent and the service is good and unobtrusive. I have never had a problem there ... I really would like to know also what exactly do you mean by "after that other shenanigans"?

The owners - Pedr and Beer - run a fine pub by any standards and are easily the most friendly of the English pubs in Chiang Mai ... and most certainly could never be accused of being mean in portioning or warmth and hospitality ...

For mine and most long-term expats money The Olde Bell wins hands down against all competition!!

I've eaten at the Olde Bell twice and both times I was not impressed.

The other problem with this location is parking. It's alright for the people pottering about on a scooter, but if you're driving it is not the easiest place to park.

IMHO this part of town is hardly the best environment to be taking your kids for a family Sunday roast...

Edited by Thaihog

I'm still trying to figure out what the Holiday Inn charges since I don't have a discount card.

Is it 562.5 baht? That would workout to the 20% discount that the OP stated.

Do you have to buy the discount card card as many other hotel buffets force you to do?

I'm a fan of the Amari Rincome and would like to try the Holiday Inn to find out if it's worth the extra 100-200 baht before I buy a discount card.

Unless something has changed, the Holiday Inn discount card is free.

Also, it is usually very easy to find an expat who you know to use his card to pay your bill. That is why many people don't bother to apply for one.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I had promised to take a friend (English expat) to Sunday lunch at the Vic when I get back to CM, sorry to read that apparently it has dropped its standard.

I will also be going to the Olde Belle for a meal and a drink as well before heading down the road to see Kevin at the Red Lion, might even pop into O'Malley's pub on the way home.

CB

Le Meridien has a great Sunday buffet. Not as many items as what is offered at the Holiday Inn, but an excellent selection including fresh seafood (the best smoked salmon that I have had anywhere in Thailand). There are several carving stations too.

When I did not see any smoked salmon, which happened on one occasion, I asked one of the servers about it. Shortly thereafter, three plate fullls of smoked salmon were brought to our table.

The Holiday Inn beats Le Meridien on the desert side IMO, but the quality of what is offered is quite good. The cost is close to the Holiday Inn without the 20% Holiday Inn discount.

Edited by venturalaw

Hey, Crow Boy, after you've done that how about starting a "Red Lion vs. O'Malley's" thread. :)

I had promised to take a friend (English expat) to Sunday lunch at the Vic when I get back to CM, sorry to read that apparently it has dropped its standard.

I will also be going to the Olde Belle for a meal and a drink as well before heading down the road to see Kevin at the Red Lion, might even pop into O'Malley's pub on the way home.

CB

I'm still trying to figure out what the Holiday Inn charges since I don't have a discount card.

Is it 562.5 baht? That would workout to the 20% discount that the OP stated.

Do you have to buy the discount card card as many other hotel buffets force you to do?

I'm a fan of the Amari Rincome and would like to try the Holiday Inn to find out if it's worth the extra 100-200 baht before I buy a discount card.

The Holiday Inn is 550 Baht from memory so it's only 100 baht more than the Amari. I am a Privilege card holder at the Amari, but can tell you that the Holiday Inn is miles better and a much larger selection...

CB

Don't forget the Gai Yang vendor between O'Mallye's and home. You might be able to rope him to be a TV sponser. :)

My kids are allowed junk food once a week, so unfortunately for me, it's pizza or the like for Sundays.

Cheers/T

Hey, Crow Boy, after you've done that how about starting a "Red Lion vs. O'Malley's" thread. :)

BB, you're not shit stirring again are you, most out of character :D

Have you managed to escape from Burma yet?

Cheers....

Edited by Thaihog

CB

Yeah ! ! ! just the thought of that almost brings tears to your eyes....those were the dayx..... anyone on here for less than 2 - 3 years , will just have to say, " HUH " & Wonder

that gets my vote

CB

Yeah ! ! ! just the thought of that almost brings tears to your eyes....those were the dayx..... anyone on here for less than 2 - 3 years , will just have to say, " HUH " & Wonder

that gets my vote

Four years ago they were the only pubs in town that knew what a pint was. :D

Lets get back on track guys.

The idea of this thread was to find alternatives venues for a 'Sunday Roast'.

So far we would appear to have the following places :-

Holiday Inn (my favourite), The Pub, Queen Vic, Le Meridian, Le Crystal Steak House, oops nearly forgot the Olde Bell.

The Amari doesn't count as it doesn't have a range of roasts, or roast potatoes and no yorkshire puddings (sacrilege).

Cheers .....

A roast, in North American English, is an event in which an individual is subjected to a public presentation of comedic insults, praise, outlandish true and untrue stories, and heartwarming tributes, the implication being that the roastee is able to take the jokes in good humor and not as serious criticism or insult, and therefore, show their good nature. It is seen as a great honor to be roasted, as the individual is surrounded by friends, fans, and well-wishers, who can receive some of the same treatment as well during the course of the evening. The party and presentation itself are both referred to as a roast. The host of the event is called the roastmaster. Anyone who is honored in such a way is said to have been "roasted".