Passport Stolen

Hi Everyone

Can you offer me some advise please.

My friend has just had her house broken into and her passport stolen. She is just off to the police now to report it but she is due to do a visa run in about 2 weeks. What should she do?

Thanks

Since it will take some time to get a replacement passport make sure she goes to Immigration with the police report to find out what she needs to do to make sure she doesn't get hit with overstay fines.

Since it will take some time to get a replacement passport make sure she goes to Immigration with the police report to find out what she needs to do to make sure she doesn't get hit with overstay fines.

Thanks SBK, thats what she was worried about.

You have to go the British Embassy in Bangkok, then apply to the UK embassy in Singapore, cost about 12,000 baht I believe, and any Visa's that were on it, become null and void. :)

Edited by Forkinhades

You have to go the British Embassy in Bangkok, then apply to the UK embassy in Singapore, cost about 12,000 baht I believe

Oh dear don't think she'll be happy about that! But thanks I'll let her know.

You have to go the British Embassy in Bangkok, then apply to the UK embassy in Singapore, cost about 12,000 baht I believe, and any Visa's that were on it, become null and void. :)

Are you absolutely sure on this? The British Embassy in Bangkok used to supply a replacement passport prior to the Hong Kong Regional passport office. I suggest clarification from one the the consuls around.

I am sure that the visa in the stolen passport are transferred to the new passport. My friend had a problem with a stolen passport and immigration in Pattaya entered the old visa details into the replacement. It is all on computer after all.

A visa will be void, the permission to stay will be transferred. meaning that if one had a valid multiple non-immigrant visa one will get the current permission to stay back in the new passport, but not the visa and would have to apply for a new one abroad. If one is on an extension of stay, one can get a new extension of stay.

The reason is that a visa is given by an embassy and the permission of stay by immigration.

British paasport are now being processed at the embassy in Hong Kong, apply in Bangkok. One needs the police report for both the embassy and immigration.

How about you don't say what you are not 100% sure of.

The Thai visa on it remains valid, just remember when you got in or at least spell your name correctly for them the immigration office.

when you get issued with a new ATM card you still get to draw the money in your account before the card was made.

Are you absolutely sure on this? The British Embassy in Bangkok used to supply a replacement passport prior to the Hong Kong Regional passport office. I suggest clarification from one the the consuls around.

yep

The Thai visa on it remains valid, just remember when you got in or at least spell your name correctly for them the immigration office.

when you get issued with a new ATM card you still get to draw the money in your account before the card was made.

As said, a valid visa would be lost. Immigration only gives a permission to stay and can extend it. But they won't give a new visa if you still had a valid multiple visa.

Spoke to Barry (British consulate in Pattaya) as recently as last month about this. Things change all the time in Thailand

I am sure that the visa in the stolen passport are transferred to the new passport. My friend had a problem with a stolen passport and immigration in Pattaya entered the old visa details into the replacement. It is all on computer after all.

not sure how they would do that because your stolen visa will have a visa number. which means that possible someone could travel around with your passport. so they would have to make a new visa with a new number. other wise the computer would pick up the number and see that it is registered to 2 passprots which would make things complicated. i am not an expert just guessing.

My advise would be to ring the embassy. that is what they are here for to help people abroad. like you. u had better ring them before u go up the4re because u will have to make the report at the local police station or u might have to make up that it was stolen in BBK and make the report there.

bascally the answer is simple call the embassy.

corr this does sound like a nightmare. sorry to hear about this. i lost my passport in France that was a head ache enough and that was in Europe. u will need to get the pasport canselled as quick as possible mabye stop a future terror attack in the UK in your name. sometime the passport agencies can be quite nasty if u lose your passport too many times. they get suspecious but there again i did lose my passport about 3 times in a year. in englad minde.

anyway enough of my life story. enough !!"

Beth,

As advised by Dave Covey, everything you need is here:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...e-asia/thailand

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Covey | British Honorary Consul | Koh Samui | THAILAND

Tel (+66) 08694 10649 (GMT+7hrs) | Email: [email protected] | Web: www.help4brits.org

This happened to me last year.

The embassy in Bangkok will issue a new passport, (10 working days & 6,800 Baht)

They will also give you a letter for immigration stating what visa you had. Immigration will reissue the white exit card with you original due date.

They will not reissue a multiple visa! The next visa run will have to be to renew the multiple entry, (assuming thats what you have.

I hd photocopies of my passport & Non B. No good they say at the border, have 15 days!! Nightmare!!!

The embassy in Bangkok will issue a new passport, (10 working days & 6,800 Baht)

They will also give you a letter for immigration stating what visa you had. Immigration will reissue the white exit card with you original due date.

They will not reissue a multiple visa! The next visa run will have to be to renew the multiple entry, (assuming thats what you have.

I hd photocopies of my passport & Non B. No good they say at the border, have 15 days!! Nightmare!!!

there u go. that sums it up/ someone that has been there and been through the proccess.

there u go. that sums it up/ someone that has been there and been through the proccess.

As from 8th March 2010 All passport applications in Thailand will be processed in Hong Kong

As from 8th March 2010 All passport applications in Thailand will be processed in Hong Kong

I have posted above the communication from The Hon British Consul on Samui ,in regard to the procedure & what is required.

any chance u could tell me what part of samui u were broken into and what type of theft. was it a house burglery or a theft from a hand bag or car.

just interested. tyring to work out a pattern for these theives

any chance u could tell me what part of samui u were broken into and what type of theft. was it a house burglery or a theft from a hand bag or car.

just interested. tyring to work out a pattern for these theives

Hi BigC

My friend lives up in the hills near big buddha. It was her house that was broken into and also her next door neighbours. They think it was a gang of them as there appeared to be 3 entry points. They went through everything!

All sorted on the passport front, she has had her passport stopped and is in the process of arranging to leave for Bangkok today. She has to take with her a copy of her passport, LS01 lost/stolen passport form, new passport application form, 2 x passport photos, police report. It's costing her 6,656 baht for the passport and 962 for postage as it is sent to Hong Kong to be processed.

Thank you everyone for you help.

Beth

p.s. Make sure you keep your passports safe to ensure you don't have to go through this time consuming, expensive process!

p.p.s. If you are unfortunate enough to do so Dave Covey is a really nice guy, really helpful :)