Thailand's Yellow-Shirts Call For PM Abhisit To Stand Down

webfact

Thailand's 'Yellow Shirts' call for premier to stand down

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's pro-establishment "Yellow Shirts" Thursday called on Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to stand down, criticising his reconciliation roadmap which envisages fresh elections in November.

The Yellows, who had previously backed Abhisit's embattled administration, accused the premier of bowing to the demands of the rival "Red Shirts" who have mounted weeks of crippling street protests to push for snap polls.

The group, formally known as the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), also accused Abhisit of conducting secret negotiations with representatives of the Reds' hero -- ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup.

"We demand the prime minister reconsider and cancel the election date, and for the prime minister to step down and make way for another person," said Yellows spokesman Suriyasai Katasila.

The group said Abhisit should not have announced election plans for November 14, and vowed to oppose any attempt to change the constitution or grant an amnesty for politicians hit with bans after their parties were dissolved.

The five-point reconciliation process aims to settle those contentious issues, and end the crisis that has damaged Thailand's economy and its reputation as the "Land of Smiles".

Abhisit said Thursday he was ready to dissolve parliament in September, but refused to set the exact timeframe being demanded by the Reds before they dismantle their vast protest camp in Bangkok's top retail district.

Chamlong Srimuang, a core Yellow Shirts leader, said Thailand's problems would only worsen after the dissolution of the lower house, and subsequent elections.

"The prime minister has reconciled with terrorists by planning to dissolve the house, it's extremely bad for the country and the monarchy," he said.

Another Yellows leader Somsak Kosaisuk called on the government to decisively enforce the law against Red Shirts who have refused to leave their camp despite signing up to the roadmap.

Other figures in the movement accused Abhisit of abandoning those who have supported the government in its fight against Thaksin's allies.

Thailand is largely split between the mainly rural poor and urban working class Reds, and the Yellows, who blockaded Bangkok's two main airports in 2008, before a controversial court verdict removed Thaksin's allies from power.

Abhisit's government was then appointed in a parliamentary vote with the backing of the army -- triggering charges from the Reds that the administration is illegitimate and the puppet of Thailand's elites.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-06

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now the Yellow's turn to say "But the reds ...".

Get back in your box.

edit: I think this is an area where many anti-reds and the red supporters can join forces.

Edited by whybother

Get back in your box.

edit: I think this is an area where many anti-reds and the red supporters can join forces.

II am sure he would not do anything without consulting with his bosses, including the Yellow.

All I want for all to go away soon, one way or another

Edited by givenall

Get back in your box.

I am sure he would not do anything without consulting with his bosses, including the Yellow

Well it seems you are wrong.

The Yellows wouldn't be *asking* their "puppet" to stand down, would they?

Edited by whybother

Get back in your box.

I am sure he would not do anything without consulting with his bosses, including the Yellow

Well it seems you are wrong.

The Yellows wouldn't be "asking" their "puppet" to stand down, would they?

Game of Politics, the most fun of all

What could the PAD, Peoples alliance for DEMOCRACY, possibly have against calling for elections ????? -

:-D

Sure, they love democracy so much, they want elections every 6 months. :)

Part of democracy is not being forced into having elections and everyone waiting until they are actually due.

Ha "Abhisit" is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't :)

Ok Ok, my conclusion is that we can’t have an honest PM here, we need someone like Thaksin to as PM so everyone live in peace

words cannot express how much i dislike both of these groups.

But what did the government expect when you offer a free amnesty to people who have tried to tear this country apart; you are just telling the next lot.... make your best shot; because you have nothing to fear.

Obviously fear of the law just for little buffalos and there are lots of special interest groups who can bring 100k down to bangkok

I think that is a clever move by the yellows/government.

It will bolster support for Abhisit.

I think so too.... between the lines it says: "Do not bow to their demands, do not dissolve Parliament don;t call for new elections soon, go on!"

Maybe form a new party of Reds and Yellows, call it the People Alliance for International Democracy... or P.A.I.D.... :D

Exactly! :)

Perhaps a new party of reds and yellows calling it People Reunited In Collective Kinship and Spirit or just PRICKS for short.

Edited by frodo

It will never end. :D

Even when it ends, it will never end...

Thailand has reached the stage, when the 'Top' can not continue to rule, while the 'Bottom' can not continue to be ruled in the old, traditional ways.

Something's got to give. Changing Govt 'personalities' will not help. Military coups will not change. Abhisit, Thaksin, or whoever, - will not change anything.

This country needs a big change in socio-economic policy.

I don't see any party offering this.

I hope never to see another 'revolution' in my life. Too costly... :D

:) Any group, party or individuals calling for blood, harsh measures, army involvement etc., think of the costs! Then, think again!... :D

words cannot express how much i dislike both of these groups.

But what did the government expect when you offer a free amnesty to people who have tried to tear this country apart; you are just telling the next lot.... make your best shot; because you have nothing to fear.

Obviously fear of the law just for little buffalos and there are lots of special interest groups who can bring 100k down to bangkok

No one is being given "free amnesty".

Ha "Abhisit" is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't :)

Ok Ok, my conclusion is that we can’t have an honest PM here, we need someone like Thaksin to as PM so everyone live in peace

this yellow mob of criminials - is totally unbelievable --- first they bring down the taksin govt with their criminal actions - http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=583 and now they want the ones they wanted in power to step down --- and fancy accusing him of siding with taksin "The group, formally known as the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), also accused Abhisit of conducting secret negotiations with representatives of the Reds' hero -- ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who was ousted in a 2006 coup.think they are on yarba =

the decisions to call for elections in nov is the only possible solution to this current crisis and now they are going to start - wonder when they will occupy govt house and the airports again >> sounds like it wont be too long -- the fun is just begininning --