Restaurant Reviews

When I think about it we must have more English language listings magazines here than in many English speaking cities.

I just saw the latest offering, the name escapes me and at 80 Baht per copy I'm not attempting to find out as what I saw at first glance put me off.

This new guide which looks for all the world like Bangkok Dining and Entertaining did a total hatchet job on Himali Cha Cha (Sukhumvit branch) Now I'm not saying that Himali Cha Cha is the best place in town but the food id not bad. Actually the reviewer in this case concentrated on the decor rather than the food.

I ask you, the decor? who goes to any restaurant for the decor? and do you know any Indian restaurant apart from the Rang Mahal that has great decor?

Apart from that I was a bit disturbed to see that this publication accepts adverts.

So what happens if Himali Cha Cha advertises with them? do they get a good review?

Generally speaking I am saddened by the lack of independent restaurant reviews here. We have BK magazine, Guide of Bangkok, Time Out, Metro, Tatler, Bangkok Dining and entertaining plus the newspapers. All of these are dependent on advertising revenue so I'd question the honesty of most of the reviews.

Frankly I'm sick to death of the all too familiar sycophantic grovelling you get from these ill informed freeloading, journalists who would praise dog sh** if it was served free. There are a few exceptions but not too many I can trust. Why don't we use this forum to discuss restaurants? maybe that way we could get some honest idea of where to go and not end up being let down all the time.

The last 5 years I find it is getting difficult to find a good restaurant in Bangkok , i do not mean hotel restaurants or 2000 baht a person dinner !

Still have some gem all over the place! Each with own specialties

Roast pigeons / peeking duck / hongkong star roast pig / yum cha / sea crabs / Pla boo.

How to know them? Well I think older age Chinese Thai have a very good understanding about palate.

New papers are bias with advertising!

Did a restaurant review, once- Steak ONE, suk soi 4, simply because, absolutely loved their mouthwatering 'backyard' style BBQ and great prices :o (new owners recently put up those prices tho :D but maybe an increase was overdue). If another similar great value, food & service combo pops up, might just make a note of it. All reviews are fairly subjective tho imho

Edited by bahtandsold

When I think about it we must have more English language listings magazines here than in many English speaking cities.

I just saw the latest offering, the name escapes me and at 80 Baht per copy I'm not attempting to find out as what I saw at first glance put me off.

This new guide which looks for all the world like Bangkok Dining and Entertaining did a total hatchet job on Himali Cha Cha (Sukhumvit branch) Now I'm not saying that Himali Cha Cha is the best place in town but the food id not bad. Actually the reviewer in this case concentrated on the decor rather than the food.

I ask you, the decor? who goes to any restaurant for the decor? and do you know any Indian restaurant apart from the Rang Mahal that has great decor?

Apart from that I was a bit disturbed to see that this publication accepts adverts.

So what happens if Himali Cha Cha advertises with them? do they get a good review?

Generally speaking I am saddened by the lack of independent restaurant reviews here. We have BK magazine, Guide of Bangkok, Time Out, Metro, Tatler, Bangkok Dining and entertaining plus the newspapers. All of these are dependent on advertising revenue so I'd question the honesty of most of the reviews.

Frankly I'm sick to death of the all too familiar sycophantic grovelling you get from these ill informed freeloading, journalists who would praise dog sh** if it was served free. There are a few exceptions but not too many I can trust. Why don't we use this forum to discuss restaurants? maybe that way we could get some honest idea of where to go and not end up being let down all the time.

Jaimiesiam, Why don't you start a topic called "Jaimiesiam's Restaurant Review" and every day, or every week, or whatever, you go to a reataurant and write up a review......this is not a flame...I'm serious. TV could use some reviews of restaurants.

Jaimiesiam, Why don't you start a topic called "Jaimiesiam's Restaurant Review" and every day, or every week, or whatever, you go to a reataurant and write up a review......this is not a flame...I'm serious. TV could use some reviews of restaurants.

Chanchao has prepared his own excellent and close to unbiased site (the bias lies solely within his own palate as far as I can see) with restaurants around Chiang Mai - his original plan was to eat at a different place every day for a year - he kept it up long enough and his reviews are quality work. PM him for details.

Chanchao has prepared his own excellent and close to unbiased site (the bias lies solely within his own palate as far as I can see) with restaurants around Chiang Mai - his original plan was to eat at a different place every day for a year - he kept it up long enough and his reviews are quality work. PM him for details.

This is very true, his reveiws are spot on in my own experience.

Only trouble is he now weighs 500kilos :o

As I was brought up eating Thai food and have been in the surroundings of great Thai chefs for most of my adult life (some family has a Thai restaurant in North London that I managed a few years ago) this has made me a fussy bastard in all areas of my culinary experiences.

For example I still haven't found a decent Italian restaurant in Thailand.

For example I still haven't found a decent Italian restaurant in Thailand.

Huh? Have you tried all of them? Gianni's Giusto. Calderazzo, Zanotti (even Papa Alfredo if you want a more American style) to name a few of the very top ones, there's totally about 200 Italian restaurants in Bangkok, surely there's somewhere that meets your approval. I have been a frequent visitor to Italy over the past 20 years and feel qualified to comment on the Italian restaurant scene in Thailand, I think we are damned lucky to have so many good ones here.

The only bad experience I had was in Picola Roma in Chiangmai which was the worst food and worst service I have encountered in Thailand.

Yeah, you're quite right. Almost every new up-scale restaurant that has opened here in the last few years has at least claimed to be of the Italian pursuasion.

I've always wondered, however, why by contrast we get so few good French restaurants here. Sure there are a couple or three, but nothing like on the scale of the (presumably) stylish Italian restaurants we have. Just one real bistro would be awfully welcome.

Yeah, you're quite right. Almost every new up-scale restaurant that has opened here in the last few years has at least claimed to be of the Italian pursuasion.

I've always wondered, however, why by contrast we get so few good French restaurants here. Sure there are a couple or three, but nothing like on the scale of the (presumably) stylish Italian restaurants we have. Just one real bistro would be awfully welcome.

love your picture, looks something like mark rothko, my fav painter.

italian rest is alot of here in BKK yes, chit lom, soi ehr.. remember.. not..

personal taste is more important. I had pizza expencive, mai aroi, and cheep pizza aroi mak mak, but non beats my own.

thats why I dont read reviews...

.thomas