Nightmare At Samui Immigration

When faced with this kind of corruption I always advice to notify your embassy. With a lot of complaints they should act and discuss it with the Thai government, they can even do this as embassies together.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When faced with this kind of corruption I always advice to notify your embassy. With a lot of complaints they should act and discuss it with the Thai government, they can even do this as embassies together.

US citizens can mail their complaints to the following address:

Ambassador Eric John

US Embassy

95 Wireless Rd

Bangkok, TH 10330

Brits can contact Dave Covey on KS.

Edited by parallaxtech

I am now corresponding with the Bangkok IO. They have already stated that my "Fund Book" account is perfectly acceptable. Anyone having a problem with Samui IO, email them as follows: [email protected] . If everyone will just pay the standard 1,900 instead of 5K or 25-30K to the visa fixer, it will make everything much easier for all of us.

Edited by parallaxtech

• 2 weeks later...
I am now corresponding with the Bangkok IO. They have already stated that my "Fund Book" account is perfectly acceptable. Anyone having a problem with Samui IO, email them as follows: [email protected] . If everyone will just pay the standard 1,900 instead of 5K or 25-30K to the visa fixer, it will make everything much easier for all of us.

Well done parallaxtech, thanks God Jomtien IO is not as corrupt as the Samui one. However will there be any consequences for Samui IO?

Well done parallaxtech, thanks God Jomtien IO is not as corrupt as the Samui one. However will there be any consequences for Samui IO?

The way I look at scams is one day the crook will try and cheat the wrong person. There are many ex-military on the island who will not take it lightly when cheated. I saw it happen with the jetski scammers. It was exposed in the media, some people retaliated, the government got embarassed by embassies that were filing official protests, and now I do not see anymore of these scams. There was an article in Samui Express about the scams at Samui IO and several people I know have sent editorials to papers in England and the US about them. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was to make sure everyone knew the yearly extension fee was only 1900B. I wouldn't want to be the Immigration officer who tries to extort money from the commando just back from Iraq or Afghanistan. Whether they change or not who knows and whether somebody walks in with an M16 and takes everybody out who knows. If they were a US Post Office extorting money they would have been leveled by now.

• 1 month later...

I have a Non Imm. B. I Have a Company and business here, For the last 2 years I have always had my Accountant organise this for me and their charge to me was 12,000 Baht (There is a lot of paperwork involved). This year I decided to do it myself to

1. To get the feel of the process as I had time to do it.

2. Find out the actual costs?

In April, I had already renewed my Work Permit myself and this cost me 3,100 Baht. The correct Gov't fee.

Just over 1 month ago I applied for my 1 year extension, had all the correct paper work and he stamped my Passport with the usual 1 month extension while the application is considered.

(Now I know that the Fee for this is 1900 Baht for the 1 year extension). The Immigration officer then asked me for 7,000 Baht at which I replied "Pang" ,with which he replied that a Solicitor would cost me at least 20,000 Baht with a bit of a laugh. (your not really in a position to argue the point) so I handed over the 7,000 Baht which he did put in the main counter money tray, not in his pocket. (But they work as a team anyway). I asked him for a receipt and he said "come back next time and I will give to you" very busy now.

The months up and I go down there, give him my Passport, and the 1 year extension is stamped, no problems. So the additional 5,100 Baht that I paid is for "favorable consideration". (Still no receipt).

I guess it's easy to get pissed off, but the problems that you would encounter down the track may not be worth it. TIT.

I may consider now reporting this to BKK Immigration and my Embassy to see if they can bring this blatant robbing of Farang by Immigration on Samui to an end? :angry:

I guess if you want to stay on Samui, you have to pay the "Tea Money". :D

Two times in 20 years I had someone from immigration that was out of line with me.One was Samui when doing a 90 day report(from Bangkok).Both times I insulted them so all could hear.Both times someone jumped in to take over.When you are right,you are right.I don't need them or their country.:bah: :bah: :bah: :bah: :bah:

• 4 months later...

Sorry quote function not working

From post # 59

Posted 2010-05-08 11:07

"I find it sad when reading a thread such as this that when someone follows all the rules and does everything exactly as the Thai rules require them to do, that it comes down to a government officials interpretation of the Law as they see it that day, or just how they feel that day ! "

Not exactly. Reread post #1. OP has outfoxed himself by having some kind of bank account that no one on this board has ever heard of.

Go get a plain Vanilla Savings passbook from one of the big 3 banks & have the seasoned money in there. Stop trying to be cute & KISS.

This gentleman could have avoided all this hassle. Sure in years Imm accepted it. Now they don't. I repeat. Keep things as simple as possible.